• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be a MASSIVE missed opportunity if Rondo isn't included on all three versions of this. It's legitimately one of the best games ever made.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone have a link to the presentation Konami did? There are pics in the OP, but no link to the presentation.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Honest question:
Why are people excited for the Ys games when most of them if not all have been remade? Do they have anything in particular? If I remember correctly they also have the weird bump attack?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Understandable
Is there any of them that is still exclusive?
Also I am not ready to face Dark Fact again lol
I played the remakes on psp and he was a pain. Those games have outstanding soundtracks
Youve not faced the true Dark Fact til you play Ys on their highest difficulties...in the modern remakes. In the original games, you're likely gonna need everyone's energy.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I did not expect this, but Ys and the overall aesthetics of the TG16 have me wanting this. If they do the right thing and get Rondo on the U.S. version (Bomberman '94 would be a big get, too), I am in.

LevityNYC

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more excited for this than I am the mini Genesis. Assuming the emulation is good and we get rare games like Magical Chase, then i am 100% in on this.

If they give us shit like Keith Courage, TV Sports Football and Battle Royale....then fuck Konami.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I have a soft spot for the TG-16 as the console I never had growing up. Though the US version better have Rondo

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Youve not faced the true Dark Fact til you play Ys on their highest difficulties...in the modern remakes. In the original games, you're likely gonna need everyone's energy.
If I remember correctly he did not really have a pattern.

Of the first 2 I prefer book 2. On psp I thought both looked gorgeous, better then the later remakes where they mixed 3d environment with 2d sprites.
Of what I played I'd rank them
Origin>7>2>Felghana>1>Celceta>Naphistism
I have yet to play 8

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rondo is shown in the background of the US TG16 trailer, so hopefully that's a confirmation of its inclusion.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I remember correctly he did not really have a pattern.

He does. He moves from the left side of the screen till he hits the right side of the screen, then moves right till he hits the left side of the screen, and so forth. Simultaneously, he moves down until he hits the bottom of the screen, then he moves up till he hits the top of the screen, and so forth.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
He does. He moves from the left side of the screen till he hits the right side of the screen, then moves right till he hits the left side of the screen, and so forth. Simultaneously, he moves down until he hits the bottom of the screen, then he moves up till he hits the top of the screen, and so forth.
But the bricks were random, no?

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any indication Tengai Makyou (even just Japanese side) will be on it? Might make me bite if it does...

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But the bricks were random, no?

The bricks disappear where you hit him. And the fireballs come from the opposite direction that you are walking at the time. The entire battle is actually reactionary to you, the player. It's totally not random.

EDIT: Also, if you max out your level, the final boss battles in every Ys game become pretty easy.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
WOW. This is so bought! Just need to see what other games they will have on it, but loved the system back in the day!!! Day 1 for sure!

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The PC Engine version of Ys Book I has the absolute best version of this song:

This version of Palace blows away all others, including the later remakes

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
The bricks disappear where you hit him. And the fireballs come from the opposite direction that you are walking at the time. The entire battle is actually reactionary to you, the player. It's totally not random.

EDIT: Also, if you max out your level, the final boss battles in every Ys game become pretty easy.
Oh got it
From videos on youtube he seems easier on turbografx. He's way slower and shoots less projectiles

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh got it
From videos on youtube he seems easier on turbografx. He's way slower and shoots less projectiles
Whats funny is that the PC Engine version was a significant difficulty boost over the original versions. On the PC-88 and MSX and NES and SMS, the blocks don't disappear at all when you hit them, that was added for the PC Engine version, and there is only ever 1 fireball on screen at once. In the original versions of the game, the boss is an extreme pushover.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
almost posted this one too lmao

jesus christ this game. THIS SYSTEM. i hope it comes out this year.

I remember the first time I beat Ys I on the Turbo Grafx CD. I had already beaten Ys I on the Sega Master System years and years ago, but had never even heard of Ys II until I got into the TG16 in the late 90's. The cutscene between Ys I and Ys II, even after things like Final Fantasy VII had come out, blew me the hell away:

This is one of the hypest intros to a game I've ever seen. It's crazy that I got hyped over a game I'd already beaten over a decade prior, all over again, just from that cutscene.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Whats funny is that the PC Engine version was a significant difficulty boost over the original versions. On the PC-88 and MSX and NES and SMS, the blocks don't disappear at all when you hit them, that was added for the PC Engine version, and there is only ever 1 fireball on screen at once. In the original versions of the game, the boss is an extreme pushover.
The difficulty made him memorable though. It's the only Ys final boss I remember the name of.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I remember the first time I beat Ys I on the Turbo Grafx CD. I had already beaten Ys I on the Sega Master System years and years ago, but had never even heard of Ys II until I got into the TG16 in the late 90's. The cutscene between Ys I and Ys II, even after things like Final Fantasy VII had come out, blew me the hell away:

This is one of the hypest intros to a game I've ever seen. It's crazy that I got hyped over a game I'd already beaten over a decade prior, all over again, just from that cutscene.

My uncle, who used to be the kind of dude that bought every piece of tech when it came out, had the game back in 1990 or so. I remember being entranced by the intro and just listening to the music in the field.

tangentially related, he also had one of those early widescreen tvs and a laser disc player and i remember playing Ys on a little gaming set up while Aliens played on the tv.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, those Ys intros were crazy. I remember people being in awe at an in-store display given how new CD-ROM was. A lot of people were used to just playing NES games at the time, and it was in another technology league.

On that note, I did previously make a thread on why NES fans should play the TG16, if anyone's interested.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My uncle, who used to be the kind of dude that bought every piece of tech when it came out, had the game back in 1990 or so. I remember being entranced by the intro and just listening to the music in the field.

tangentially related, he also had one of those early widescreen tvs and a laser disc player and i remember playing Ys on a little gaming set up while Aliens played on the tv.

The very first laser disc I ever saw was Alien, it was at my brother's place like a week after he moved out post graduation. I was hanging out with my brother and his new roommate had a laser disc player. Neither of us had ever heard of laser disc so he popped in Alien for us to watch.

Years and years later, when I'd get my own LD player, Alien was the first thing I picked up specifically because of that.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Always wanted a TurboGrafx as a kid though I don't remember any games on it.

there are actually a bunch of really great TG-16/PC Engine games, they just never get brought up. If people like the SNES, they'll find stuff they like on the PC Engine.

D81l0DWW4AAXDXT.jpg:large

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't think id ever want any of these but i never considered this. This is the one i want. My substantial collection has absolutely no pc engine things. Unfortunate. This will be nice. A little more authentic than the usual emulator. Something like a working scale model of a turbo.

I would like a turboduo shell, tho.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
it is the dominant art-style of the PC-Engine library. you're in luck if you're not so familiar with it.
I've seen a few games, but never been in a position to collect any, so yeah this is much more exciting to me than the Genesis mini. Nothing against my Sega brethren, but I've had dozens of places to play that catalog when I want to.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I've seen a few games, but never been in a position to collect any, so yeah this is much more exciting to me than the Genesis mini. Nothing against my Sega brethren, but I've had dozens of places to play that catalog when I want to.

the Mega Drive/Genesis is my favorite console and I'm even more excited by this system simply because it's so unexpected. literally nothing prepared me for this.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I need to gather up my PC Engine/Turbo Grafx stuff in one picture. I have a PC Engine Duo, a PC Engine Duo R, a Core Engine, a PC Engine, a PC Engine CD-Rom^2 in the briefcase, a Turbo Express, a Turbo Grafx 16, a Turbo CD, a Turbo Booster Plus, and a Super Grafx. Oh, and earlier this year I got one of those Super SD3 ODEs.

Fuck I love the PC Engine.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
2012: With all these emulation options/Virtual Console, I only need one box to play all my classic favorites!

2019: I can't wait to have 5 classic consoles under my TV!

Time is a circle I guess. Same as "oh great I can watch all my favorite shows and movies in one place" to "oh yay I am subscribed to HBO, Disney, Netflix, Hulu...."

After buying the PS Classic on the cheap with only interests of hacking it (same reason I was sold on the SNES Classic) I really wonder who is buying these things without the intention of adding more and more games.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I need to gather up my PC Engine/Turbo Grafx stuff in one picture. I have a PC Engine Duo, a PC Engine Duo R, a Core Engine, a PC Engine, a PC Engine CD-Rom^2 in the briefcase, a Turbo Express, a Turbo Grafx 16, a Turbo CD, a Turbo Booster Plus, and a Super Grafx. Oh, and earlier this year I got one of those Super SD3 ODEs.

Fuck I love the PC Engine.

i really wish i didn't sell my pc-engine collection. i really miss my PC-Engine GT.

After buying the PS Classic on the cheap with only interests of hacking it (same reason I was sold on the SNES Classic) I really wonder who is buying these things without the intention of adding more and more games.

The Playstation classic has to be hacked in order to be a good value proposition, the games fucking suck on it otherwise.

I'm more interested in the curation of these consoles more than i am in hacking/expanding them.