• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

back at you. You're doing this thing where you're listing a lot of what are consensusly the best praised games on the system and being like "they're horrible, absolute, putrid shit"

Like, you seriously have not heard people praise this game before? It's one of the most often cited games on the system for a reason. It's been consistently thought of as a great game. Check out some old school reviews:

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree - Jackie Chan's Action King Fu is excellent, though I didn't pay attention to the fact that Hudson developed it....any specific reason you dislike it?

Hudson didn't develop it, that guy is wrong. He listed a bunch of games that hudson PUBLISHED, not developed. Like those TV Sports games he mentioned are actually from Cinemaware.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
I agree - Jackie Chan's Action King Fu is excellent, though I didn't pay attention to the fact that Hudson developed it....any specific reason you dislike it?

I actually don't mind China Warrior either. And I seem to be one of the few that appreciates poor Keith Courage.

My guilty pleasure game is definitely JJ and Jeff - man, I love the music in that game.
China Warrior is basically Kung Fu Master but with oversized sprites and levels that go on wayyyy toooo longgggg. I can't even imagine getting more than 5 minutes of enjoyment out of it.

Jackie Chan - even if you like the game, it's a PC Engine port of the NES game with worse level design. Making an 8-bit game worse as you upgrade it is kind of embarrassing. But what's to like? The horrible chibi graphics, the super meh platforming? I love Jackie but... Yuck.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jackie Chan - even if you like the game, it's a PC Engine port of the NES game with worse level design. Making an 8-bit game worse as you upgrade it is kind of embarrassing. But what's to like? The horrible chibi graphics, the super meh platforming? I love Jackie but... Yuck.
You're doing that thing again where you're just repeating that something is "bad" without explaining how. How is the level design "worse." Why are the chibi graphics "horrible." How is the platforming "super meh"?

China Warrior is basically Kung Fu Master but with oversized sprites and levels that go on wayyyy toooo longgggg. I can't even imagine getting more than 5 minutes of enjoyment out of it.

Ah. That's probably why I like China Warrior - I just play some games for a short amount of time, and then just swap it out and move on to the next one.

Hm, haven't played the Famicom version nearly as much, so I'd have to spend more time with that one to compare!

But, yeah! I don't mind the platforming, and I really like the art style...and I'm a sucker for PC Engine music.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
If Konami wanted to wow people over, they'd include a brand spanking new english localization of Dawn of Ys. I know the fan translation (and dub) exists, but we're talking a legitimate US/Euro release of one of the crown jewels of the PC-CD library.

Everyone's doing it! Even Konami did it once already, with Rondo of Blood (which btw should also be included wink wink nudge nudge).

THAT BEING SAID... I really can't stand the TG-16 form factor. All I see is a CoreGrafx II with a cancerous growth growing out of its left side. If I had to choose one I'd go for the original white or what is apparently the Euro unit.

Hudson didn't develop it, that guy is wrong. He listed a bunch of games that hudson PUBLISHED, not developed. Like those TV Sports games he mentioned are actually from Cinemaware.

Ah, thank you for clarifying that!

I really need to sit back down to assess my collection of Hudson developed games on all consoles. I miss that developer so much.

If Konami wanted to wow people over, they'd include a brand spanking new english localization of Dawn of Ys. I know the fan translation (and dub) exists, but we're talking a legitimate US/Euro release of one of the crown jewels of the PC-CD library.

Uh, yes please! What a shame that so many excellent RPGs on the PCE, and the 16 bit generation as a whole, never made it overseas to US.

Last edited:

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
back at you. You're doing this thing where you're listing a lot of what are consensusly the best praised games on the system and being like "they're horrible, absolute, putrid shit"

Like, you seriously have not heard people praise this game before? It's one of the most often cited games on the system for a reason. It's been consistently thought of as a great game. Check out some old school reviews:

No, I seriously have not heard people praise it before. And I'm not saying it's "absolute putrid shit" - but I *am* putting the brakes on the runaway praise for freaking Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu. It just seems like a very basic game, like Karate Kid. I have a memory of running around punching frogs. It really was not that fun.
This is fair, I didn't realize this discrepancy.
You're doing that thing again where you're just repeating that something is "bad" without explaining how. How is the level design "worse." Why are the chibi graphics "horrible." How is the platforming "super meh"?
You need to majorly relax and learn how to deal with opinions that differ from yours. Is this the first time you've encountered someone just not liking something? Do I need a reason to dislike chibi graphics before you find it satisfactory that I have this opinion? They look cutesy and childish and usually are coupled with very simplistic game play. There. The levels got expanded in the PC Engine version and it dragged on. I never played the NES version, but I do remember being quite bored and thinking the game was dragging and getting repetititve, and I learned about the additions and thought that explanation made sense. And no I'm not the only one who thinks this. (Link is to fan of the game who mentions this in his playthrough).

I am curious what your favorite games on the TG16 family are - just to see what type of games are your style.

The gameplay is pretty good given the time! I don't think it's going to make a best of list for the console generation, but it's an enjoyable little game. It does have some unique moves for a platformer, though!

The tigers are really annoying, though.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
This pretty cool. May have to pick one up even though I got a PC Engine a couple of years back. I remember being jealous of it back when I had a Master System, but it never got much of a release in Europe. I think a lot of people will be surprised how good some of the games look and play.

It will have to be pretty damn small to be classed as 'mini' though! The real thing isn't much bigger than the SNES mini.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You need to majorly relax and learn how to deal with opinions that differ from yours. Is this the first time you've encountered someone just not liking something? Do I need a reason to dislike chibi graphics before you find it satisfactory that I have this opinion?

If you want to have a conversation, explain your reasoning. Otherwise your posts are merely contradictory and antagonistic. Talking to people like you are frankly tiring. You want to let everyone know that you hate something, but bristle when people ask why.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
i do not trust Konami one iota to do this properly HOWEVER the PC Engine never came out officially in the UK so its one of the few consoles i never owned.

I may need to get one for that reason alone.

Dammit

Nocturno

Oct 27, 2017
This is a mythical console that I skipped due to lack of cash back in the day. (Genesis was priority).

I'm seriously considering buying it.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
My post got buried, but is it traditional for these "Mini" consoles to have lots of Japan Only games and not translate them for the new US Mini release?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My post got buried, but is it traditional for these "Mini" consoles to have lots of Japan Only games and not translate them for the new US Mini release?

No, that hasn't happened on any of the major mini consoles (NES, SNES, PSX, C64, upcoming Genesis). For the Genesis, they actually have asian versions for region-specific games. There are games on the Genesis mini that have, for example, never been released in a physical form in the west in english, as their translations are new entirely for the digital era.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Japan specific game selection is standard, and I don't remember any strictly new localizations for these machines (MW4 was localized for gen 7 downloads already).

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan specific game selection is standard, and I don't remember any strictly new localizations for these machines (MW4 was localized for gen 7 downloads already).

well, technically the Star Fox 2 translation was new. The last official builds they had were in japanese. The rom that has been floating around for years was translated by DeJap back in the day, the translation on the SNES mini is brand new (in that it never existed originally).

Oct 27, 2017
i do not trust Konami one iota to do this properly HOWEVER the PC Engine never came out officially in the UK so its one of the few consoles i never owned.

I may need to get one for that reason alone.

Dammit

Yup, I was lucky enough to have one and a PC-Engine CD, and the handheld through my job at the time in the 1990's.

Such a wonderful, & underrated machine.

Just get Parasol Stars and Out Run on there, and I'll be happy.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Yup, I was lucky enough to have one and a PC-Engine CD, and the handheld through my job at the time in the 1990's.

Is Parasol Stars the third Bubble Bobble game?

Funny, i was thinking anouit Bubble Bobble the other day - i reckon it needs a comeback. I think it could work really well as a 3D game with an amazing multiplayer.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
I was always amusing myself with the thought how you'd create a mini version of a console as small as the PC-Engine but there it is.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
It is, and what's weird about it is the PC Engine was the lead platform. Unlike Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Islands, it wasn't an arcade game originally.

Personally my favorite in the series is Rainbow Islands.
I played the C64 version of Rainbow Islands quite a lot in my day. Just like Bubble Bobble before it, it was a pretty good port!

How's the PC Engine version of Rainbow Islands?

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
What hardcore fan wants a freaking TurboGrafx-16 over a PC Engine?

If they think they can sell that thing to a casual audience they're mental.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017

I think Out Run will be a tricky one because of the Ferrari logo on the car. Sure, the car was changed for the arcade ports of Out Run, but I don't see that happening for this mini console.

I'd be glad to be proven wrong, though.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
That's.....amazing! Shitty that they're releasing different versions in different regions though.

Hopefully more people will get exposed to the genius that is the PC Engine/TurboGrafx.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played the C64 version of Rainbow Islands quite a lot in my day. Just like Bubble Bobble before it, it was a pretty good port!

How's the PC Engine version of Rainbow Islands?

really, really colorful. Probably the best home conversion until you get into emulator stuff. One thing that used to bother me with lots of other earlier console versions is how the limited color palette would make the rainbows look weird, because actually drawing enough colors in a tile to display a rainbow is actually pretty tough. The PC Engine and Amiga versions are really the only two that had bright, colorful, and correct graphics.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What hardcore fan wants a freaking TurboGrafx-16 over a PC Engine?

If they think they can sell that thing to a casual audience they're mental.

I want both. With all honesty, I love the look of the American Turbo Grafx. Everything about it, it looks so cool. Especially with a Turbo Booster Plus on the back.

Man I love the PC Engine/TG16.

Everyone has seen these before, right?

Regarding the second video, I always laugh when they say "Remember the two words!" and you think they mean "Turbo" and "Duo", only for them to say "TurboDuo Power!" because, apparently, TurboDuo is one word haha.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
really, really colorful. Probably the best home conversion until you get into emulator stuff. One thing that used to bother me with lots of other earlier console versions is how the limited color palette would make the rainbows look weird, because actually drawing enough colors in a tile to display a rainbow is actually pretty tough. The PC Engine and Amiga versions are really the only two that had bright, colorful, and correct graphics.
Ah, that's good to know, thanks.

I want both. With all honesty, I love the look of the American Turbo Grafx. Everything about it, it looks so cool. Especially with a Turbo Booster Plus on the back.
I have to admit I also really like the look of the TurboGrafx-16. And I've only ever played on the PC Engine, so no nostalgia goggles here.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have to admit I also really like the look of the TurboGrafx-16. And I've only ever played on the PC Engine, so no nostalgia goggles here.

I have both, I like both for different reasons. I like the original white PC Engine, because holy shit it's so small. It's smaller than the actual PC Engine controller. It's TIIIIINY.

But the American Turbo Grafx 16 just looks awesome to me. I am a sucker for long horizontal consoles like that, it reminds me of the Master System.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Anybody here also a fan of New Adventure Island? I used to hate Master Higgins (I've always been a Sega nerd, so Wonder Boy > Higgins) but New Adventure Island really is a joy to play.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No? These plug n play systems have been around and have been popular for like two decades.

Nintendo actually started a trend of first party (not licensed to external companies) plug-and-play units with decent quality, though. Even the awful PlayStation Classic is miles better than most of the pre-NES Classic mini-consoles. This device from Konami would not exist if Nintendo hadn't been successful with their line of plug-and-play units.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure this will have the Bonk and Zonk games, but Legendary Axe is the big one for me.

I don't know who has the rights, but damn I want both Legendary Axe games on this.

Also hoping for...
Vigilante
Military Madness
Psychosis
Bloody Wolf
Ninja Spirits

Hell, can Sega toss the P.C. Engine Shinobi on there?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anybody here also a fan of New Adventure Island? I used to hate Master Higgins (I've always been a Sega nerd, so Wonder Boy > Higgins) but New Adventure Island really is a joy to play.

It's my favorite in the entire Adventure Island series. It's more of a remake of the original/wonder boy than a sequel, so things like the ridable dinosaurs is gone. But, as a remake of the original wonder boy, it's really good. Very colorful and well drawn graphics, lots of weapons (my favorite is the spear), and unlike the original this one has themed worlds, like a lava world and an ice world. I really recommend it, I talked about it here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/wonder-boy-what-is-the-secret-of-your-power.86011/page-3

If you like Wonder Boy, the PC Engine is actually home to every wonder boy game (if you count New Adventure Island as a remake of Wonder Boy) save Monster World IV. They're all really good ports, too. I talk about them in more detail in the above topic.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, Japan getting the ugliest version of a console rather than the US for once.

US gets the best looking console, though Europe gets the best looking pad.