• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo actually started a trend of first party (not licensed to external companies) plug-and-play units with decent quality, though.

Not really, I'd say the very first of these units that was like that was the C64 DTV, which came from the people who actually owned the commodore brand at the time, and most importantly, had JERRI ELSWORTH behind the project. To this day, C64 DTVs are even more sought after than some real models of the commodore 64 because they were, essentially, in 2001, for the first time in over a decade, brand new Commodore 64 hardware that was identical in function to the original. To the point where people took apart c64 dtvs, soldered on floppy disk drive connectors, placed them in breadbin cases, and sold them as NEW C64 units.

Compared to, like, the atari flashback, the NES mini is nice, but the c64 DTV is still the gold standard for these kinds of machines, and not even M2's Sega Genesis Mini topples it.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really, I'd say the very first of these units that was like that was the C64 DTV, which came from the people who actually owned the commodore brand at the time, and most importantly, had JERRI ELSWORTH behind the project. To this day, C64 DTVs are even more sought after than some real models of the commodore 64 because they were, essentially, in 2001, for the first time in over a decade, brand new Commodore 64 hardware that was identical in function to the original. To the point where people took apart c64 dtvs, soldered on floppy disk drive connectors, placed them in breadbin cases, and sold them as NEW C64 units.

Compared to, like, the atari flashback, the NES mini is nice, but the c64 DTV is still the gold standard for these kinds of machines, and not even M2's Sega Genesis Mini topples it.

oh yeah, that C64 plug-and-play was really, really cool. It also launched a really long time ago.

I'm not saying Nintendo made the very first high quality plug-and-play btw, but they absolutely broke a decade+ trend of very, very low quality products and greatly expanded the market potential for these devices. There's really no denying this.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, Japan getting the ugliest version of a console rather than the US for once.

US gets the best looking console, though Europe gets the best looking pad.

do you know how small the JPN PC engine is?

mini.jpg

this aint the mini, this is the real console. For comparison:

konami-turbo-grafx-16-mini-1-1200x675.jpg

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, Japan getting the ugliest version of a console rather than the US for once.

US gets the best looking console, though Europe gets the best looking pad.
Possibly the worst take ever to be seen on Resetera, the Japanese PC Engine is an all time classic design, the Turbografx is the NES idea of "gotta make it BIG for the American market!".

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be highly surprised if it was included, considering Rondo is a CD based game.

they announced several cd based games at the conference, including Rondo and Ys I & II, but only for the JPN machine.

The PC Engine CD isn't like the Sega CD, it's really not new hardware, just a new medium. The PC Engine basically sees CD games as very large cards, it's not like the sega CD where it has additional co processors and stuff and is thus harder to emulate. The difference between emulating a PC Engine and a PC Engine CD is really not much at all.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Possibly the worst take ever to be seen on Resetera, the Japanese PC Engine is an all time classic design, the Turbografx is the NES idea of "gotta make it BIG for the American market!".
that's not why they expanded the PC Engine, actually, it was because of FCC regulations. The original small PC Engine is actually quite a noisy machine in terms of electrical interfearance. With mine, if I put it next to my CRT television, it'll actually warp the picture. In order to bring the system to the west, they had to spread out components and comply with shielding to get it passed. When the Duo itself actually came out in japan, they used the same design principals as the western Turbo Grafx to ensure the system wasn't noisy. My Duo and Duo R, for example, don't exhibit the CRT warping problem, nor does my Super Grafx, which is also a similar design to the Turbo Grafx.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
they announced several cd based games at the conference, including Rondo and Ys I & II, but only for the JPN machine.

The PC Engine CD isn't like the Sega CD, it's really not new hardware, just a new medium. The PC Engine basically sees CD games as very large cards, it's not like the sega CD where it has additional co processors and stuff and is thus harder to emulate. The difference between emulating a PC Engine and a PC Engine CD is really not much at all.
I missed that, thanks for the info.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really can't believe this is getting flak here. I thought the Wii had pretty much fixed the image of the PC Engine as people finally got familiar with it, and it was pretty widely recognized that there's a great library for the system.

Oct 27, 2017
Out of nowhere, TG16 was a great console IMO so I'll definitely be buying. Genesis and TG16 minis back-to-back 😵 I must've done something good this year.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Nintendo actually started a trend of first party (not licensed to external companies) plug-and-play units with decent quality, though. Even the awful PlayStation Classic is miles better than most of the pre-NES Classic mini-consoles. This device from Konami would not exist if Nintendo hadn't been successful with their line of plug-and-play units.
Mattel was the first one in both cases.

The Atari Flashback units and some other especially early tech ones based on the Commodore 64 and such are honestly quite good for what they are. I would argue the SEGA Genesis units showing up in shops everywhere is what really soured gamers opinions of them. Before then I recall people being pretty happy with stuff like those Namco arcade plug n plays for example.

Nintendo is obviously a big factor here mostly when it comes to quality control, but I am pretty confident most of these would have existed outside of the PlayStation Classic if Nintendo never got involved.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really can't believe this is getting flak here. I thought the Wii had pretty much fixed the image of the PC Engine as people finally got familiar with it, and it was pretty widely recognized that there's a great library for the system.

This forum isn't nearly as appreciative of the legacy of video games as you'd think. Many users here are in their 20's and many of the older users simply have no interest in exploring gaming platforms they didn't experience growing up. I greatly appreciate the small number of posters here that have an interest in this hobby's entire history.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
that's not why they expanded the PC Engine, actually, it was because of FCC regulations. The original small PC Engine is actually quite a noisy machine in terms of electrical interfearance. With mine, if I put it next to my CRT television, it'll actually warp the picture. In order to bring the system to the west, they had to spread out components and comply with shielding to get it passed. When the Duo itself actually came out in japan, they used the same design principals as the western Turbo Grafx to ensure the system wasn't noisy. My Duo and Duo R, for example, don't exhibit the CRT warping problem, nor does my Super Grafx, which is also a similar design to the Turbo Grafx.
Interesting to know, however they could have gone about it a better way than they did. SNES Jr, NES toploader, Master System 2, CDX, Genesis 3 and 1/2 motherboard Mega Drive 2 are all small and pass FCC - Turbografx didn't need to be wider than an NES, nor have a CD drive that mounts onto the back like an unsightly growth. The width would be alright if you could mount the CD add-on in the dead space on the left to bring the unit size back in line with a PCE+SCD or Duo/R.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mattel was the first one in both cases.

The Atari Flashback units and some other especially early tech ones based on the Commodore 64 and such are honestly quite good for what they are. I would argue the SEGA Genesis units showing up in shops everywhere is what really soured gamers opinions of them. Before then I recall people being pretty happy with stuff like those Namco arcade plug n plays for example.

Nintendo is obviously a big factor here mostly when it comes to quality control, but I am pretty confident most of these would have existed outside of the PlayStation Classic if Nintendo never got involved.

Never stated Nintendo started the plug-and-play craze or created the very first high quality product in this category (or if it seemed I implied as such, I certainly wasn't intending to), but they absolutely started the current trend. These products had been floundering for well over a decade.

Sega may have eventually wised up and created something of high quality without the NES Classic opening the floodgates. Maybe.

Konami though? Not a chance. Same with Sony, like you already mentioned.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting to know, however they could have gone about it a better way than they did. SNES Jr, NES toploader, Master System 2, CDX, Genesis 3 and 1/2 motherboard Mega Drive 2 are all small and pass FCC - Turbografx didn't need to be wider than an NES, nor have a CD drive that mounts onto the back like an unsightly growth. The width would be alright if you could mount the CD add-on in the dead space on the left to bring the unit size back in line with a PCE+SCD or Duo/R.

An aside, but have you ever seen a Super Grafx hooked up to the original CD-Rom^2 unit? Holy shit it's soooo ugly, I have one of the connection pieces for it. The original CD-Rom^2 was a briefcase unit that the PC Engine slot into, but the Super Grafx is shaped like a Turbo Grafx 16. So the solution is this cable that has a dummy PC engine on the end, so it connects like this:

33jnspg.jpg

by far the lest ergonomic "add-on" ever lol

Oct 25, 2017

If I didn't already have a MiSTer, Rondo of Blood alone would be a great reason to pick one of these up.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
This forum isn't nearly as appreciative of the legacy of video games as you'd think. Many users here are in their 20's and many of the older users simply have no interest in exploring gaming platforms they didn't experience growing up. I greatly appreciate the small number of posters here that have an interest in this hobby's entire history.
This place is so weird, according to previous "what's your age" polls most people here are way over 30 years old or even around their 40s, but the kind of opinions you often read here are the ones that you usually hear from teenagers or people in their early 20s, like "ewwwwwww games from more than 5 years ago are so dated and ugly!!!!!! They aged so bad!!!" or "[newest hottest entry of decades long popular ip] looks great, it's going to be first ever in the series for me!!!".

I don't get it.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
Unlike the NES, SNES, PSX and Genesis mini consoles, the Turbo's library hasn't already been played to death by most people. The TG16/PCE was a fantastic console with some amazing games that more people need to enjoy!

Great news. I'm stoked.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, of course Rondo is JP only. Really god damn bummed. How hard is it expected to import this thing?

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
This is the first time this console gets an official release here in Germany. Better late than never!

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
But Nintendo made the whole plug n play more popular, because NES Classic was amazing. It is a new era, like it or not. Even Sony has surrendered to this era (in a bad way lol)
More popular with gamers that care about the games and the platform legacies maybe, but these things have always sold extremely well. There are seriously hundreds of them out there for a reason.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
What flak? Frankly haven't seen any. (Oh in this thread? Yeah, it's whakk. In general, I haven't seen much on etc.)
I really wonder how small the PCE mini is. It'd be kind of neat if it was the actual size of a real PCE and could slot into a real briefcase unit.
Since the white one is that small, and how small the SNES mini is, I'd love to see the PCE have the footprint of an HUcard. :D But realistically I'm probably going to get the core version.
Well, we can extrapolate from the size of the USB ports:
konami-annonce-la-pc-engine-coregrafx-mini-qui-n-est-pas-de-konami-1e6849eb__830_470.jpg

Let's do some rough pixel calculation...

EDIT: I have 96mm, so roughly the depth of NES Classic. Not the same scale, but small enough, I'd say.
Without the slot for the card at the back, something just feels weird about it.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

you can tell this board is US centric when they post stuff like this. You know the PC Engine was chief rival to the Super Famicom in japan, right? It outsold the genesis. The way we, in the west, think of the Sega Genesis, they think of the PC Engine in Japan. That's why they have TWO japanese versions and only one US version here.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
This has got to get some Compile shooters on the next JP announcement of titles or it's just gonna be weird. The PCE has so many great shooters. :D

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Really surprising to not see Blazing Lazers in the initial announcement. That was THE Turbo Grafx game at launch.
I still play the hell outta that game.
(I was a little bummed/weirded out when they didn't pay for the Gunhed license (?) and even the JP VC version was called Blazing Lazers.)
But coincidentally, BL was the game they made me sell my TurboExpress. Bullets so small on that screen.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
About a year before I got my Turbo Duo for Christmas, I bought a Turbo Grafx 16 from ebay. This must have been around 1998, maybe early 1999, and Blazing Lazers was the very first Turbo Grafx game I got. I still have that copy. Back then, it was dirt freaking cheap, like $5 complete in box. Looking on ebay it's going for like between $70 and $130 now, haha. Watching the market for PC Engine/Turbo Grafx games go insane over the years has been funny.