• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've had a fantastic time with my neogeo mini and I'm exhausted reading about how inaccurate granular aspects of the emulation are.

I respect the detailed perfectionism that's part of the hobby but it often seems completely uninterested in the underlying game experiences.

I imported a PC Engine to the UK shortly after it launched in Japan and played it to death. Never finished Tale of the Monster Path because I couldn't read Japanese. I'd probably play all this to death on MAME if my job didn't make the piracy aspect so ethically tricky, so any time I can legally own classics I jump in.

I have long caped for an iTunes model for MAME/emulators - where ROMs can be bought for 99cents and the IP owners are paid from those funds for their property- and I suspect they'd make vastly more income that way and it would encourage new players into the scene and add to the development core.

I'd sample all sorts of trash at a dollar a pop and guiltlessly. And a more organized scene could clear up or spotlight abandonware, rights ownership and IP issues. I imagine this would be desperately unpopular in some circles too.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone have a link to the presentation Konami did? There are pics in the OP, but no link to the presentation.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I've had a fantastic time with my neogeo mini and I'm exhausted reading about how inaccurate granular aspects of the emulation are.
Are you talking about the recent mini arcade? Cause that seem awful.
A "portable" console with no battery, awful image output when connected to tv, controllers nowhere near the originals and the list goes on

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Since Ys book I-II is there I have to wonder if Tengai makyo Ziria and Manjimaru will be there as well

They're the most iconic PCE CD releases in Japan. Especially with Red Entertainment beeing on board

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Will have to wait until I see more of the software differences.
The lists as revealed so far don't make much sense, and I highly doubt they'd, for example, not have R-type in Japan, and not have Bonk's Adventure in the US.
Much like the PS Classic, my choice will probably come down to which has the bigger selection of shmups.

I only ever had one friend that owned a TurboGrafx16, so the extent of my direct experience is limited to Keith Courage in Alpha Zones and Alien Crush.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I actually prefer the NA design. The others look like pieces of something that broke off. But again I have no nostalgia for it so maybe it's a "you had to be there to understand" thing.
I'd say it very much is a case of personal nostalgia. While I played a TG16 and Turbo Duo back in the day (either through friends or at retail stores), the system design I want the most is the Core Grafx mini because that is the exact model of PC-Engine I have (complete with box) sitting in my closet. The original system is so shockingly tiny for it's era. =/

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
man everyone's getting in on the mini console craze, even after Sony completely botched it. I wonder how many of these things we'll eventually have
Well, the number of consoles, proprietary home computers or arcade platform is finite.
In the console space you are likely to get mini retro consoles which were owned by Nintendo, Sony, Sega, Snk, Konami (Hudson), Atari, Intellivision.
In the arcade sector Snk's Neo Geo and Capcom's CPS boards are the more bankable (and maybe some Sega Model stuff).
In the proprietary computer space there is already mini console for C64.

It's more a question when later consoles will be easily emulated on the cheap.
I can see N64, Saturn/Dreamcast, Jaguar being the next "new" mini retro console to be released.
3DO and PC-FX are unlikely IMO.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Since Ys book I-II is there I have to wonder if Tengai makyo Ziria and Manjimaru will be there as well

They're the most iconic PCE CD releases in Japan. Especially with Red Entertainment beeing on board

i'd say their shoe-ins tbh.

Will have to wait until I see more of the software differences.
The lists as revealed so far don't make much sense, and I highly doubt they'd, for example, not have R-type in Japan, and not have Bonk's Adventure in the US.
Much like the PS Classic, my choice will probably come down to which has the bigger selection of shmups.

I only ever had one friend that owned a TurboGrafx16, so the extent of my direct experience is limited to Keith Courage in Alpha Zones and Alien Crush.

R-Type was released as two separate Hu-Cards in Japan, the only retail release with all of the levels is R-Type CD. Maybe it'll be a US version of the game?

man everyone's getting in on the mini console craze, even after Sony completely botched it.

The NES/SNES classic minis still sold well during the same period that the Playstation Classic released. I'd say that was due to shitty curation on Sony's part rather than a response to the mini consoles themselves.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since I'm around obviously open people considering the way the Turbo Grafx failed in the US, a plea to everyone who got into the PC Engine late in life: I remember when I found the Turbo Grafx 16 (it was through Magic Engine, and pure curiosity of trying something I had never had access to before), it felt like this entire part of the 16-bit era, my favorite era in gaming, had become new to me. This entire chunk of an era I adored that I had completely missed. I remember diving into the TG16 library with enthusiasm and being rewarded, because there were lots of, for lack of a better term, "snes-like" games in the library. Leaning heavily into the TG16 in the late 90's and early 2000's felt like the 16 bit era was alive again, as there was an entire library of excellent games out there waiting to scratch an itch that I didn't even know I had. I love the PC Engine because it was a hidden library of old-school awesomeness.

my plea: CHECK OUT THE AMIGA. The Amiga, to me, feels like Europe's PC Engine. It feels a bit closer to the Genesis in terms of library than the SNES. If the TG-16 is "SNES-like", then the Amiga is the Genesis counterpart. For those ITT who have given the PC Engine a shot and found they love it, please, for your own good, give the Amiga a go. I guarantee if you dig into it, you'll find some stuff you like in the exact same way you found that kind of stuff buried on the PC Engine.
Yeah, 16-bit era fans really need to experience both the Turbo and Amiga to properly experience that generation. It's always nice to come across big fans of both. There are so few of us.

I think the Turbo in some ways is more Genesis-like than SNES-like (CD add on, super strong shooter line up, ports of Sega games). TG16 has neat overlaps with NES, SMS, Gen, SNES, and Japanese computers.

I can relate to that feeling you had with the Turbo of experiencing a chunk of of an era you missed the first time. The Amiga was like that for me. I had a TG16, Gen, SNES, and DOS PC in the 16-bit era but my Amiga experience was limited to playing some stuff at a friend's house and a little on display units. The hardware was way too expensive for me, especially compared to the relatively cheap deals on the VIC 20 and C64.

Anyway, I hope more people check out the Amiga appreciation thread and try some games for the system.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I think the Turbo in some ways is more Genesis-like than SNES-like (CD add on, super strong shooter line up, ports of Sega games). TG16 has neat overlaps with NES, SMS, Gen, SNES, and Japanese computers.

I agree for the base system but I think SNES RPG fans would find lots to love on the Turbo CD.

This is probably a controversial statement, especially given the affinity for the SNES on this board, but I feel both the Turbo and the Genesis feel more like the heirs to the legacy of the NES than the SNES. In many ways, lots of SNES games felt like they started distancing themselves from their arcade action roots where as arcade ports/high-intensity action games were the bread and butter of both the Genesis and Turbo.

Morisaki

Oct 29, 2017
I hope Valis IV is in even if it wasn't a particularly good game. Also Far East of Eden please.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I hope Valis IV is in even if it wasn't a particularly good game. Also Far East of Eden please.

I kind of hope for the Valis I remake but I don't think it'd be a hard license to get considering the character is sadly licensed out for official H-games.

When I was growing up I had a daisy chain of RF Switches thanks to my NES, SNES and Sega Genesis. Even worse was finding wall outlets for those systems plus a Sega CD

I think I can manage with these Mini consoles :P

i was like 7 years old and learning how to do cable and RF/AV switch management lol

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
PC Engine Mini sounds cool but not enough games to make it worthwhile.

Now someone give me a NeoGeo mini asap!

VectorVictor

Jan 10, 2018
Kinda puzzled why the Bonk series isn't one of the first things shown for the NA version--the series was marketed a lot in North America and became synonymous with the system itself.

Also, it would be nice if we could get the translated version of Rondo of Blood (since it's already been done) for the North America and European versions.

And Lords of Thunder better be part of this--that game was one of the best shumps of that generation IMO.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The neogeo has a smaller library and the mini came out last year

Also CD and cart combined, the PCEngine has almost 650 games

Ignorant comment is ignorant
How to I access 650 PC Engine games?

Mine died many years ago when I actually had one and the games were so expensive, most people I knew never had a vast collection.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
How to I access 650 PC Engine games?

Mine died many years ago when I actually had one and the games were so expensive, most people I knew never had a vast collection.
You can buy a cheap white PCE for around 50$ and a ssc3 which gives you :

- rgb out
- cd expansion abilities (load isos from sdcard) including arcade card games
- roms loading

It costs 300 euros

Combined that's abou the price of a non modded DuoR

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I agree for the base system but I think SNES RPG fans would find lots to love on the Turbo CD.

This is probably a controversial statement, especially given the affinity for the SNES on this board, but I feel both the Turbo and the Genesis feel more like the heirs to the legacy of the NES than the SNES. In many ways, lots of SNES games felt like they started distancing themselves from their arcade action roots where as arcade ports/high-intensity action games were the bread and butter of both the Genesis and Turbo.
That's exactly why I love the SNES.
While I love my arcade ports, the snes started doing things others were not doing. More story elements, atmosphere in games like Super Metroid. It felt more immersive and not a quick 20 mins pastime.

Epinephrine

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
You only need one hdmi and one usb cable

They're small enough that you don't need to keep all of them out at the same time

I'm not big on swapping cables, it's a barrier to entry for actually sitting down and playing something that isn't currently hooked up (as incredibly lazy as that sounds).

I use an HDMI splitter that will automatically change inputs based on which device is currently powered on. My PC, NES Mini and SNES Mini all live on a switch. I'll pick up another switch once the Genesis Mini comes out and probably put all three classics on one with my PC and Switch sharing another.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've been thinking about this, too. They all seem to use Mini USB with a wall adaptor for power and HDMI for audio/video.

I'm thinking they might be able to use the same cords and could pretty much be swappable? Not ideal, but there are only so many ports.

It seems so odd. Enthusiasts likely have more than one system (if not all) capable of playing these games. But even the most expensive TVs only have so many HDMI ports. This seems so inconvenient. Not to mention the fixed library (outside of hacking). I think the mini hardware is cute, but not enough reason for me to buy in. I'd rather buy these as ACA releases.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not big on swapping cables, it's a barrier to entry for actually sitting down and playing something that isn't currently hooked up (as incredibly lazy as that sounds).

I use an HDMI splitter that will automatically change inputs based on which device is currently powered on. My PC, NES Mini and SNES Mini all live on a switch. I'll pick up another switch once the Genesis Mini comes out and probably put all three classics on one with my PC and Switch sharing another.
I have an 8 ports hdmi switch from monoprice hooked to the game port of my reciever

But I like having everything hooked up :p

But tbh it takes 5 seconds to switch a unit since they all use the exact same minimusb formpower and hdmi out

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
It seems so odd. Enthusiasts likely have more than one system (if not all) capable of playing these games. But even the most expensive TVs only have so many HDMI ports. This seems so inconvenient. Not to mention the fixed library (outside of hacking). I think the mini hardware is cute, but not enough reason for me to buy in. I'd rather buy these as ACA releases.
People don't hook up stuff directly to the TV, they use home theaters with 883746 hdmi inputs

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
It's my favorite in the entire Adventure Island series. It's more of a remake of the original/wonder boy than a sequel, so things like the ridable dinosaurs is gone. But, as a remake of the original wonder boy, it's really good. Very colorful and well drawn graphics, lots of weapons (my favorite is the spear), and unlike the original this one has themed worlds, like a lava world and an ice world. I really recommend it, I talked about it here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/wonder-boy-what-is-the-secret-of-your-power.86011/page-3

If you like Wonder Boy, the PC Engine is actually home to every wonder boy game (if you count New Adventure Island as a remake of Wonder Boy) save Monster World IV. They're all really good ports, too. I talk about them in more detail in the above topic.
I remember reading that thread! That was a terrific write-up about a wonderful series. I love how passionate you are about the Wonder Boy games. Back in the late eighties here in Amsterdam, it felt like I was the only person in the city who had even heard of Wonder Boy, let alone owned the first three games (Wonder Boy on the C64, Monster Land and Dragon's Trap on the Master System). Man, I was obsessed with Dragon's Trap and even now I'd consider it one of my top 5 favourite games.

Anyway, back to the PC Engine Mini. How many games do you guys think we'll see on this device? Since the Mega Drive Mini already features 42 games (even more if you count the games on Wily Wars and on that Japanese compilation as separate games), I can't see the PC Engine Mini receiving less than 30 games.