• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
CNGJcSf.png

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Silent Hill, as I see it (which has next to no worth I suppose), is above all knowing when not to write. When not to say stuff. When to show just a tiny bit of something to get your mind to do the rest.

Of course Bloober can take a different approach to Konami's game (still praying its PES) and they're not glued to a style of game or writing, but their creative core and the games they've done until now don't give me hope.

I say this having midly enjoyed Layers of Fear and Observer. But nuance isn't their thing.

Fuck me, Tarsier would fit this like a glove, seriously.

All in on a potential JP Silent Hill game with some of the original team, at this point.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
guys what if the game is not silent hill but just called "PT something something"? bloober can make a goot PT game, maybe that's what we're getting and the main silent hill game is being developed in japan.

PT stood for Playable Teaser. I don't see them using that branding again

I have faith: Bloober + Konami oversight = a good SH

Well, from what we know on post-Team Silent games, Konami oversight was actually kind of an issue. Even as early as SH2, they had funky ideas about what to do with the franchise, so not sure Konami oversight is a positive unfortunately lol

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
Feels like Konami literally saw this little game called The Medium that Yamaoka was working at and the executives agreed to give then the IP just because

Abi

Jun 3, 2020
I liked it better than most but it's not that good to be honest. Budget definitely plays a part, but it's a big assumption that Konami is going to give them much of a budget to begin with lol
I don't think you'd need a big budget for a Silent Hill game tbh. Similar budget to The Medium would be fine, but obviously Bloober doesn't have the chops to make it.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Eh, it can't be worse than Homecoming or Downpour.

I expect mediocrity, but still, it's better than nothing.

Last edited:
VGC: Two SH games in production

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017

y0shizawa

May 3, 2021
I'm surprised at the amount of negativity about this. I really enjoyed Layers of Fear and the Observer. Blair Witch was largely quite frustrating, and the Medium was a big disappointment.
EDIT: I only played a couple of hours of The Medium, I was not aware of the way the story goes as per that twitter thread shared earlier. My goodness, that's crass

I wouldn't assume they'll be given the keys to a big IP, Konami have probably just seen the clamouring for horror games of any variety and bought an indie dev to capitalise on that.

Last edited:

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
People are disappointed they may not get a Team Silent quality Silent Hill game when Team Silent has been disbanded for 16 years?

The Internet never ceases to amaze me.

Let the IP owner decide what's best for their IP. As consumers, reviews will always help to determine if the game is worth your money.

Last edited:

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
VGC is once again reiterating that there's another SH project that's been outsources to a prominent Japanese developer. I guess the suffering continues.

www.videogameschronicle.com

Konami and Bloober Team announce partnership amid Silent Hill links | VGC

The Medium developer has entered a “strategic co-operation agreement” with the publisher…

please dear god let it be true

i wouldn't mind a bloober Silent Hill and a Japanese-developed Silent Hill.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
VGC is once again reiterating that there's another SH project that's been outsources to a prominent Japanese developer. I guess the suffering continues.

The Medium developer has entered a “strategic co-operation agreement” with the publisher…

Hey there to my future self
If you forget how to smile
I have this to tell you
Remember it once in awhile
Ten years ago your past self
Prayed for your happiness
Please don't, lose hope

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I suspect part of the anger/toxicity stems from the disappointment that, given the developer, it's more likely that the game will be multiplatform than the exclusive the rumor mill had pushed it as for quite a while.

Either way, some of the reactions are completely out of pocket. Let the IP owner decide what's best for their IP. As consumers, reviews will always help to determine if the game is worth your money.

No one would complain if they revived Silent Hills, that was multiplat.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

It's probably worth putting the link to the actual article about this alleged Japanese developed game too. Others have posted it, but probably worth putting here for threadmark purposes

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I'm surprised at the amount of negativity about this. I really enjoyed Layers of Fear and the Observer. Blair Witch was largely quite frustrating, and the Medium was a big disappointment.

I wouldn't assume they'll be given the keys to a big IP, Konami have probably just seen the clamouring for horror games of any variety and bought an indie dev to capitalise on that.
Uhhhhh....

Konami hasn't been very protective of it in the past...

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Imagine this on Silent Hill yikes

99% of the issues reviewers had with Killzone Shadowfall's pacing and story did not manifest in Horizon Zero Dawn.

There's no guarantee that whatever flaws existed in the Medium would also exist in Silent Hill. Especially when the game will be made with a higher budget, and with more time.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

Konami isn't buying them.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I suspect part of the anger/toxicity stems from the disappointment that, given the developer, it's more likely that the game will be multiplatform than the exclusive the rumor mill had pushed it as for quite a while.

Either way, some of the reactions are completely out of pocket. Let the IP owner decide what's best for their IP. As consumers, reviews will always help to determine if the game is worth your money.

Nobody is disappointed about exclusivity. People are disappointed because SH is nuanced and it deals with mental health and other heavy topics, of which Bloober clearly seems to know shit about how to tell stories that deal with them.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
This was just so fucking predictable. Another era of shitty western Silent Hill games arises!

If only there was some team with old serie's veterans to tackle a new one... if only...

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
99% of the issues reviewers had with Killzone Shadowfall's pacing and story did not manifest in Horizon Zero Dawn.

There's no guarantee that whatever flaws existed in the Medium would also exist in Silent Hill. Especially when the game will be made with a higher budget, and with more time.
I mean, The Medium was heavily influenced by Silent Hill. Themes included. These people doesnt know how to write subtle themes, period.

VGC is once again reiterating that there's another SH project that's been outsourced to a prominent Japanese developer. I guess the suffering continues.

Link to the first article where they mentioned this : https://www.videogameschronicle.com...king-on-silent-hill-but-its-not-the-only-one/
Okay, so what are the guesses for the Japanese developed one?

Knuf

Oct 28, 2017
VGC is once again reiterating that there's another SH project that's been outsourced to a prominent Japanese developer. I guess the suffering continues.

VGC said:
Separate sources told VGC that the Japanese Silent Hill project was something of a departure from past Silent Hill games

Brand new Silent Hill pachislot confirmed!!!1!!

Mar 19, 2020
I do feel bad for Bloober team as im sure they will try their absolute best but after playing the Medium I just dont feel they are a good fit for this property.

I feel SH is what it is because it mixes asian horror tendencies with a western setting.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to get in on the Bloober Team dislike this video does a great job.

(Forewarning: there's some horror game / movie gross out imagery)

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably worth putting the link to the actual article about this alleged Japanese developed game too. Others have posted it, but probably worth putting here for threadmark purposes

Cool. Updated the post. So, for me I'm not personally taking it as confirmation more that it seems they haven't yet heard anything to the contrary since they last reported on this.

Again, this has got nothing to do with exclusivity. The disappointment is coming from the choice of developer. Wish people would stop making this into a console wars thing :/

starlesbian

Unshakable Resolve
May 6, 2021

Since when have games being multiplatform been anything other than inherently pro-consumer? Like why would anyone be upset over that news lmao exclusives suck!!

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Weird...a strategic partnership to share "know-how"...hopefully that's just the duel world tech and nothing else. Lol

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
Do people want a suspenseful, scary Silent Hill game? The Medium had no tension at all. The Maw was goofy and made me laugh whenever he appeared and the gameplay systems didn't create any tension either.

Do you know what the worst thing I can say about a game is? It's boring. The Medium was so boring. The puzzles were terrible, simple and repetitive. The stealth segments were goofy. If you don't really care about Silent Hill as a franchise, then this news won't affect you. The Medium was a display of how to completely miss the point of what a Silent Hill game is - moreso than the other "bad" Silent Hill games.

Bloober are great at creating atmospheric looking environments. In fact, I would go so far as to say they are good world builders in general - but they are terrible writers and gameplay designers. Their games are so simple, iterative and formulaic. They copy a lot of their ideas, and the original stuff they do implement isn't great.

Silent Hill's excellence is rooted in it's stellar character writing and handling of mature themes. This is not Bloober Team's strength. This SH game will be the worst of the lot, even if they have a large budget (which is laughable, Konami went with this because they were cheap and this is what Konami always do). They have hired a combat designer at least, which will help with the vapid gameplay problem. It won't fix their awful storytelling, level designs and puzzles. Nor will it magically make them mature enough writers to tackle this series.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What's your guys problem with the Medium? I have not played it yet, do not have the Ms Box and do not have a gaming pc but gonna play it when is out on the ps5. The footage I have seen about it so far looks decent a classic old school horror game. Reminds me of the old Silent Hill games.

Maybe my high age takes a toll but what the hell is a walking simulator? If the Medium is a walking simulator then the old Silent Hills are are it as well. Both games are about walking around and research the environment and get sucked into the atmosphäre.

People hating on the Medium and wanting Silent Hill back sounds bizarr. So may i ask what do you mean with silent Hill when you are talking about Silent Hill? it cannot be the old games because they are walking simulators.

ps: There is still no proof the partnership is SH related but never mind.

The medium doesn't have combat. That's the problem with modern day "survival" horror. Its hide and seek and walking around. The medium honestly has more in common with heavy rain than it does silent hill. Play it. Then maybe you'll understand.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017

If we're looking at Japanese developers they're currently working with, I'm aware of Toylogic for Contra, HexaDrive for Bomberman, and GuruGuru for Getsu Fuma Den.

Just throw the dice at a random company not known for horror games and that's probably in the same ballpark Konami is going for, too.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm guessing Toylogic since Konami has worked with them before on outsource projects(Ex: Contra Rogue Corps). I also don't see any of the big Japanese developers doing it……though if it is one then maybe Koei Tecmo just because they do outsource stuff for the other big developers as well.

starlesbian

Unshakable Resolve
May 6, 2021
What's your guys problem with the Medium? I have not played it yet, do not have the Ms Box and do not have a gaming pc but gonna play it when is out on the ps5. The footage I have seen about it so far looks decent a classic old school horror game. Reminds me of the old Silent Hill games.

Maybe my high age takes a toll but what the hell is a walking simulator? If the Medium is a walking simulator then the old Silent Hills are are it as well. Both games are about walking around and research the environment and get sucked into the atmosphäre.

People hating on the Medium and wanting Silent Hill back sounds bizarr. So may i ask what do you mean with silent Hill when you are talking about Silent Hill? it cannot be the old games because they are walking simulators.

ps: There is still no proof the partnership is SH related but never mind.

The main issue with The Medium from what I understand is its poor handling of the abuse storyline that leaves people worried about how they'd handle Silent Hill, a franchise that often deals with very heavy themes.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Two games at the same time? This is weird, they will be competing in everything with each other. If the JP one is miles better than Bloober's one will be seen as a massive fluke.