• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So how do we explain the reports from DuskGolem and Relyonhorror? What about those tweets by Masahiro Ito?

FFS Konami, eat a bag of rotten dicks.

Ito could still be working on a game, it just doesn't need to be Silent Hill via Sony.

Again, y'all are reading into the wrong part of the denial. They aren't saying "no more Silent Hill", they're saying "we didn't give our IP to Sony".

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the rumor about Sony getting the licenses (aka not acquiring them) to Silent Hills, Castlevania and MGS?

No, it was about Sony buying the IP from Konami, which made it absolute hogwash. People tried to "well maybe it's just acquiring the licenses", but the rumor was saying Sony bought the entire IP.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't the rumor about Sony getting the licenses (aka not acquiring them) to Silent Hills, Castlevania and MGS?
unless i'm mistaken, there were two separate rumors:
- one from credible sources, saying sony and konami are working together on two silent hill games (probably sony licensing the IP from konami).
- a second, obviously fake rumor then came out piggybacking on the previous one saying sony is buying a bunch of IPs from konami and there are castlevania and metal gear projects in the works as well.

I'll have no issue with a similar franchise called Quiet Ridges; or Muted Cliffs
Hushed Dunes

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
The MGS/Castlevania part was really bad, who is wanting more of that storyline? It's over, snake dead. Also what would a new Castlevania even sell, 1 million if everything went perfect? Not worth the money to buy it

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Why do I have the Raising Arizona theme stuck in my head while reading this thread and coping with the crushing reality of Konami's continuing disappointment?

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill is an omegabomba series at this point. The idea that Sony would actually make two new games in the IP is kinda a shocking premise.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
That rumor was always bullshit. Why would Konami sell Castlevania? They're profiting off of it right now.
Due of the Neflix series? Because they sure ain't from the games.
unless i'm mistaken, there were two separate rumors:
- one from credible sources, saying sony and konami are working together on two silent hill games (probably sony licensing the IP from konami).
- a second, obviously fake rumor then came out piggybacking on the previous one saying sony is buying a bunch of IPs from konami and there are castlevania and metal gear projects in the works as well.

Hushed Dunes
Sony could be working with them on the movie sides and not the game side. 🤔😏

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
User Warned - Platform Warring
The same shitbags behind the "ps5 is more powerful" are to blame here. The web of fantasies they spun runs deep.

Mar 29, 2018
Dusk Golem is legit, I trust his sources.

But I also wouldn't be surprised if what is internally somewhat referred to as "Silent Hill" is very likely to change form in the years until the project's release. Similar to how Sekiro began as "Tenchu" but became its own new thing by the end of development.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
They didn't just squash one rumor, they referred to multiple rumors that were being reported. It's pretty cut and dry. They've got something in mind for Silent Hills but it isn't anything we've heard yet.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Due of the Neflix series? Because they sure ain't from the games.

There's also a mobile port of SotN they just put out a week ago. I know these aren't huge projects but they're still sources of money.

Konami doesn't need to be putting huge AAA investments into an IP in order to find value in it. Why sell it when they can use it to drive small but reliable amounts of profit?

Konami are lying. They just can't reveal it yet.

Don't worry, you'll know more about that SH reboot later this year.

Why would they lie? They didn't even have to respond for comment at all. They outright denied it.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
There's also a mobile port of SotN they just put out a week ago. I know these aren't huge projects but they're still sources of money.

Konami doesn't need to be putting huge AAA investments into an IP in order to find value in it. Why sell it when they can use it to drive small but reliable amounts of profit?

Why would they lie? They didn't even have to respond for comment at all. They outright denied it.
Because it's how japanese companies work. It's not up to them to reveal if it's in the works or not since it's Japan Studio who're working on it. Silent Hills might not happen and that's maybe why they denied the rumors to not disappoint the fans. But I can assure you that the Silent Hill reboot is still in the works and hasn't been cancelled.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Because it's how japanese companies work. It's not up to them to reveal if it's in the works or not since it's Japan Studio who're working on it. Silent Hills might not happen and that's maybe why they denied the rumors to not disappoint the fans. But I can assure you that the Silent Hill reboot is still in the works and hasn't been cancelled.

That's not how Japanese companies work at all. You don't outright deny a rumor, you just "no comment" it or ignore people asking you for comment entirely. They didn't have to release a statement.

ThingsRscary

Banned
Mar 10, 2019
Now I know I am going to be mean at you guys who are upset but this is from a guy who was expecting Death stranding to be silent hill all these years and Kojima is taking advantage of it by his "HINT" on his tweets because he is an attention holic
and now here are the best " I told you so" gifs

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's normal for a japanese company to deny things when they're actually happening. They absolutely don't have the same culture about lying to fans.
As much as I want a SH by Toyama and co, the typical answer for this kind of question is ''we don't comment on rumors or speculation'' not a ''It's not happening, sorry''.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
As much as I want a SH by Toyama and co, the typical answer for this kind of question is ''we don't comment on rumors or speculations'' not a ''It's not happening, sorry''.
The deny was maybe for Silent Hills. They were negoaciating about it and maybe it didn't work. It's better to deny everything and come back with the initial project to not have all the fans against you. Anyway, Silent Hill Reboot by Toyama is still happening and you'll hear about it in the coming months.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Ughh so we'll get something original instead? How awful, please reheat these tired franchises for me instead. I can't live without brand recognition!

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
making all those classic IPs exclusive would suck, glad they're not true.
The alternative is probably getting nothing at all though, or another bad outsourced western game as an absolute best case scenario. I mean, what are your favorite AAA Konami games this gen? Do you think they have a strong internal development team not working on annual sports titles?

Konami's big budget current gen games apart from Sports:
MGS: Ground Zeroes (2014)
MGS: The Phantom Pain (2015)
MG: Survive (2018)

And Kojima and much of the Metal Gear team has seemingly left at this point. I'm not convinced they even have an internal development team not focusing on phones or sports.

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
As expected. People got them self all worked up and convince them self only to disappointed all the time.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
No worries, i wouldn't trust Konami with a spoon let alone Silent Hill. It'd be shite if they had anything to do with it.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
"We're aware of all the rumors and reports but can confirm that they are not true. I know it's not the answer your fans may want to hear - but we have actually sold all our IPs to Nintendo"

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
The initial rumour about Japan Studio working on a new Silent Hill entry sounded perfectly plausible. Sony already set a precedent for doing third party licenced development with Marvel's Spiderman.

Kojima coming back for Silent Hills was sketchy. Sony essentially buying out every valuable IP from Konami was full on fanboy wishlist garbage.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
The initial rumour about Japan Studio working on a new Silent Hill entry sounded perfectly plausible. Sony already set a precedent for doing third party licenced development with Marvel's Spiderman.

Kojima coming back for Silent Hills was sketchy. Sony essentially buying out every valuable IP from Konami was full on fanboy wishlist garbage.
Japan Studio rumor is true and they're gonna reveal it soon.
Kojima rumor is true but maybe the two parts failed to reach an agreement.
4Chan rumour was total bullshit.