• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denzel-Washington-Nope-Sad.gif

Cajun

Oct 28, 2017
All Downpour needed to be a worthy SH, probably the 4th best was Mashaito Ito. Literally only that.

While monster designs were my largest complaint with the game (they were utter garbage), the game had a lot more issues than that. The otherworld/multiple area designs were uninspired and annoying, the story was uninspired and annoying, some characters were uninspired and annoying...most of the things that elevate SH above most horror franchises were not there at all. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter, as Konami has made it pretty apparent by now they have no interest in building their franchises at the moment, and would much rather cash in to make their gambling machines more attractive.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
While monster designs were my largest complaint with the game (they were utter garbage), the game had a lot more issues than that. The otherworld/multiple area designs were uninspired and annoying, the story was uninspired and annoying, some characters were uninspired and annoying...most of the things that elevate SH above most horror franchises was not there at all.
Disagreed entirely. it had it all. The creepy atmosphere, the dreamy feeling, the memorable locales, the personal drama, everything. I still think the Clock Tower segment and the final boss are franchise highlights. Oh, I also forgot about the Hansel and Gretel segment, GOAT.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
While monster designs were my largest complaint with the game (they were utter garbage), the game had a lot more issues than that. The otherworld/multiple area designs were uninspired and annoying, the story was uninspired and annoying, some characters were uninspired and annoying...most of the things that elevate SH above most horror franchises were not there at all. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter, as Konami has made it pretty apparent by now they have no interest in building their franchises at the moment, and would much rather cash in to make their gambling machines more attractive.

I think the big issue with the Otherworlds was that it was the same every time. The Void would've been a compelling force if you dealt with it one or two times. But every single time? It felt like they ran out of ideas, which is insane because the concept art I've seen showed a way more complex set of Otherworlds than JUST running from a dark portal six or seven times.

Maybe Konami just didn't give them enough time or resources to do what they wanted.

Cajun

Oct 28, 2017
Disagreed entirely. it had it all. The creepy atmosphere, the dreamy feeling, the memorable locales, the personal drama, everything. I still think the Clock Tower segment and the final boss are franchise highlights

Hmm I can definitely agree that occasionally the atmosphere hits high note, and Downpour definitely got the dreamlike quality down. Unfortunately, constantly you'd find yourself in situations where you would be walking down a cool looking street in the main town thinking "this isn't that bad," when suddenly the screen tears and an almost normal-looking woman just slaps you and starts screaming. Immediately took me out of whatever atmosphere the game was building almost constantly despite my effort to enjoy it.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
rVqGkEG.png

I still remember a young me getting a PS2 at Christmas and getting Silent Hill 2 with it. My parents forgot to buy me a memory card so on Christmas day I couldn't save anything lmao.

Konami, remember when you weren't a load of shite?

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

Hyperbole much? "Utter garbage" "Uninspired and annoying"

So the game was uninspired and annoying. Got it. Curious as to why you forced yourself to finish it.

Cajun

Oct 28, 2017
Hyperbole much? "Utter garbage" "Uninspired and annoying"

So the game was uninspired and annoying. Got it. Curious as to why you forced yourself to finish it.

I don't think it's hyperbolic at all. Repetitive rhetoric doesn't immediately equate to hyperbole. The monster designs were a 4/10 at best. It screamed a lack of inspiration across several points of the game's design. Things like the invulnerable ghosts that had a hidden physical form and the pink humanoids with buggy AI constantly climbing to the ceiling were annoying. Plot points such as getting to the DJ's set, only to suddenly be attacked quite awkwardly by the screaming monsters. It was as I said initially. Hyperbole would be going "this was the worst game I've ever played," which I didn't.

And while I'm on the note of that final statement, I bothered to finish it because at least it wasn't Homecoming, the actual worst game of all time ;)

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I don't think it's hyperbolic at all. Repetitive rhetoric doesn't immediately equate to hyperbole. The monster designs were a 4/10 at best. It screamed a lack of inspiration across several points of the game's design. Things like the invulnerable ghosts that had a hidden physical form and the pink humanoids with buggy AI constantly climbing to the ceiling were annoying. Plot points such as getting to the DJ's set, only to suddenly be attacked quite awkwardly by the screaming monsters. It was as I said initially. Hyperbole would be going "this was the worst game I've ever played," which I didn't.

And while I'm on the note of that final statement, I bothered to finish it because at least it wasn't Homecoming, the actual worst game of all time ;)

I played homecoming. Once. I was excited to have the port coming to steam back in late 08 or 09 I think. Sure looked good...

I personally enjoyed the addition of the invisible enemies. I ended up using my UV light for most of the second half of the game just to get around that. The "siren witch" enemies were the other new enemies that kept me off balance. The brutes and pink ones weren't great.

The side quests, the far more open nature of the world and the thick atmosphere really drew me. I binged on this game until I reached the orphanage, were I hit a bit of block that kept me from finishing it for about a month. If you'd talked to me while I was playing that first 2/3 of the game I would have told you that it was the best silent hill game since Silent Hill 3. (Actually, now that I wrote that, it's still above silent hill 4 for me)

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Konami, y'all already had Silent Hills being made on Fox Engine, just pick it back up. Of course the original collaborators won't return but you could start fresh.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Konami, y'all already had Silent Hills being made on Fox Engine, just pick it back up. Of course the original collaborators won't return but you could start fresh.

There's no way they're ever going to do that. Relaunching that project - even taking its skeleton and using it to build a different project - would be tantamount to admitting that Kojima was right and they fired him out of spite. All it would do is generate another tornado of negative press and pro-Kojima sentiment.

If Konami ever touches Silent Hill as a real non-pachinko game again, there is no way anything related to Silent Hills will be anywhere near the project.

Toybasher

Nov 21, 2017
Hopefully it'll be nothing.

Silent Hill HD Collection was the perfect Silent Hill experience and it will never be topped.

The HD Collection wasn't as good as the originals. They had alot of bugs (Supposedly Hijinx was given incomplete code, and Hijinx did a pretty bad job anyway.) and the new voice acting/script changes is pretty polarizing.

I'm sad Konami refuses to do anything meaningful with their IP's.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It really feels as if some sort of organized crime syndicate is in charge of Konami from the desicions they are making on how to utilize their IPs to generate cash flow. It is very unnerving.

Oct 29, 2017
By the sounds of those descriptions, it can't be a GaaS based video game or a game with loot boxes, right? It's odd it's being developed by Konami Digital Entertainment, though.

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
Well, just like to me FFX-2 doesn't exist and X's ending is the real thing, anything past SH4 is nonexistent too. I even bought and finished Origins, but that game just shits on everything that SH1 did so I ignored it and just completely quit on the series.

Go die in a fire Konami. SH2's staircase fire.

Oct 30, 2017
I would at least be able to somewhat respect Trashnami if they'd just come out and admit they have no interest in video games. But they won't do that. They'll just quietly ignore their legacy instead of outright saying "we're no longer a video game company."

Jessmo24

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm
On March 19, 2018, Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd. filed in the United States via the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) a trademark application for "Silent Hill". The application is on an Intent-to-use basis (under Section 1(b)) for the following goods and services:

Source: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=87839774&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

As you can see, this concerns gaming machines that accept a wager, Pachinko for example. So this likely does not concern a potential realization of Project P.T/Silent Hills. What struck me as interesting about this particular application is that it is filed by Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd. and not Konami Gaming, Inc. which usually files trademark applications related to the firm's amusement/gambling business.

A medal game based on Silent Hill 2 was released 2015 in Japan. I do not believe that title has been made available in US yet, so I guess this application could be related to a coming western release.

sh_1exurx.png

Source: https://www.konami.com/amusement/psm/slot/t/silenthill/index.html

Konami's original trademark application for Silent Hill, US Serial Number 75456606, originally filed on March 26, 1998, is up for renewal earliest in 2019.

I'm disgusted

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I hope they put more doge in it. Like 3x doges for jackpot.
I think SH was the first doge meme before it became a meme.

They were so ahead of their time.