• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WoollyTitan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Maldovarium
Konami genuinely doesn't seem to give a fuck about game development anymore since they're still making a killing off gambling and exercise machines.

I genuinely wish Sony would just buy up Castlevania and Metal Gear already.

Deleted member 1852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Konami just doesn't want to be a video games company anymore but without that highly inconvenient actual laying off or firing of employees which involves things like severance packages and lawsuits. Instead their strategy is to make the lives of unwanted employees living hells until they leave on their own.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Konami just doesn't want to be a video games company anymore but without that highly inconvenient actual laying off or firing of employees which involves things like severance packages and lawsuits. Instead their strategy is to make the lives of unwanted employees living hells until they leave on their own.

Except they also make their lives living hell after they leave too, as Konami strongarms former employees, forbidding them to say they worked for Konami, or even blacklisting them from the industry. Konami executives seem to have zero ethical standards and consider their employees to be anonymous slaves.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5 should've replaced that
fast food palace
with a game development company.

edit: the spoiler tag on this forum is not great

Oct 26, 2017
I hate it when a company tries to put everything under one name and kills the identity of individuals.

One example was AQ Interactive's absorption of Artoon, Feelplus and Cavia. Leaving any game by the three to be just by AQ, so it made it really hard to tell what the hell was by who. Luckily Artoon basically turned tail and reformed as Arzest. Cavia I think lives on as Orca and Toy Logic (both are devs of DQXI). Feelplus... no idea.

redshoepaul

PM Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
People aren't realizing about all of this is that the sound team are also the producers and directors for the games so changes like these really can't be implemented without their involvement to begin with.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
If I were to guess, I'd say Konami is most likely afraid of headhunters and losing its popular artists to rival companies. But if they just go ahead and obscure who composed which track, then the headhunters won't know who to target. Bonus is that artists trying to leave the company won't be able to prove they actually composed the tracks they claim, either, so it hurts their job hunting capability, as well.

this is where i stand on it as well. bemani has been totally bleeding talent the past couple years, this seems like either an effort to try to prevent that, or mitigate the damages when it does happen. though as mentioned, it's all kinda silly considering some of the new tracks without credits are sequels to old ones so we basically know who composed it lol

konami just seems to really be doing a bad job of adapting to an increased focus on commissioned artists in music games (and games in general). there's no other company i know of that maintains such poor working relationships with past employees once they go freelance. all this is doing is sabotaging the bemani brand that was built upon the names of their in-house artists

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
If Konami would do anything right, they would revert back to what they did during the 5-key era and just commission artists to do music that would be exclusive to their respective Bemani games. Some of the best stuff came out of those commissions. Granted, it would mean that just about every song made would make it into each game, greatly reducing the amount of exclusive content in each particular game itself. Pop'N would feel like a 9 button version of IIDX and DDR would get all of those songs as well.

SVDX is probably going to be just fine, as they'll continue getting doujin artists making music and remixes until everybody is tired of it.

twentytwo22

Oct 25, 2017
Bemani is the last good thing Konami has going, so it doesn't surprise me that they are trying to set that on fire, too.

I'd love a reasonable explanation for this (contract extension delays, or something), but I just don't think it's gonna happen.

OP
OP
Deft Beck

Deft Beck

Oct 26, 2017
Space
I hope that Konami is frank about this instead of having their fans read between the lines. I think this is going to make Cannon Ballers have a negative aura around it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Deft Beck

Deft Beck

Oct 26, 2017
Space
Update: The new IIDX mix is out, and artists are credited as "BEMANI Sound Team" followed by the actual artist name in parentheses or otherwise.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
At this point, it would not surprise me if Konami feuded with Konami....
giphy.webp

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
SmĂĄland, Sweden
I'm guessing they regret giving Kojima so much freedom to promote himself and renaming their KCEJ studio to Kojima Productions and happily raising him to stardom when it suited them, which was a mess later with the whole Kojima fallout. Guess they just want to treat their employees as anonymous individuals instead of helping them get recognition that can backfire again whenever they leave the company. They want Konami as a whole to take the glory, not individual employees.

Oct 25, 2017
It still blows my mind that a company like Konami can fall so far from grace.

It's now depressing to think of what they once was...

Metal Gear
Silent Hill
Castlevania
Contra
Pro Evo
Suikoden
Policenauts
Snatcher

.....Fucking hell.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Really, what happened to Konami??

In the eighties and nineties and even the early 2000s they were one of the best of the best in quality electronic entertainment and a name to be reckoned with. Now, they're an absolute joke.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
But you some of you guys told me Konami actually treats their employees well and Death Stranding IS Silent Hills.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
This feels extremely familiar.

Like I've seen it before somewhere.

Some other artists that had a falling out with Konami.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
It still blows my mind that a company like Konami can fall so far from grace.

It's now depressing to think of what they once was...

Metal Gear
Silent Hill
Castlevania
Contra
Pro Evo
Suikoden
Policenauts
Snatcher

.....Fucking hell.

PES is at its very best at the moment, but that's the odd duck in Konami.

Oct 26, 2017
Doing this sort of thing to avoid your talent getting head hunted is one of the most ass backwards things I've heard about in a while.
It's fairly obvious that this pulling this sort of stunts will only drive away your people. All they need to do is properly reward their key talent, it can't be that hard...

That said, I wouldn't be particularly surprised if this is indeed what is happening.

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to get very rich and make an offer to buy all the gaming IPs Konami owns, so they can have all the money in order to just fuck off for good.

You guys just have to wait a few centuries.