• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope everyone drops critically acclaimed AAA budget games and instead focuses on mobile gacha and creepy anime games.

That would be better for the industry.

Or those guys who enjoy AAA budget can keep enjoying those game from other companies there while others who enjoy Konami Quality mobile games from Power Pro series to PES can continue enjoying their quality mobile game.^_^

what happened to capcom?

Cac did good this year so, they are taking good decision and cant be criticize at all. Which in this case is the same as Konami lol.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
So what's the state of Pro Evolution Soccer? I'm not a particularly huge fan of sport sims but PES is something I played in the past a little and there was a game journalist in my country who was absolutely crazy about PES, was really good friends with the head-honcho of the PES franchise and he made it kind of fun to follow the yearly battle of supremacy between FIFA and PES in the early 2000s. But lately I haven't really been seeing much of that rivalry. Has FIFA just completely taken over? Has PES just taken some not-so-good steps that have driven it to obscurity among yearly football games?

The transition to the X360 with PES6 was rough, subsequent games for PS3/360 weren't as good as previous entries. PES basically thrived and declined on the PS2. The FIFA team did a lot to make their games play more like Pro Evolution over the years, even adopting the same button layout. Newer Pro Evo games moved to Fox Engine, but there wasn't parity across platforms which hurt the word of mouth.

Biggest thing of all though is the licensing. FIFA has the draw of all the major and minor teams. Official kits and what not. I've always been of the mind that FIFA plays a very poorly. Technically the games aren't good, even though they look nice enough. Pro Evo back in the day played much better, and for a while that was enough, but those days are gone and FIFA now reigns supreme again. I don't think Konami can make PES as popular again. And I don't think they want to.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure when laws inevitably change in the coming years they wont be so profitable anymore.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
So what's the state of Pro Evolution Soccer? I'm not a particularly huge fan of sport sims but PES is something I played in the past a little and there was a game journalist in my country who was absolutely crazy about PES, was really good friends with the head-honcho of the PES franchise and he made it kind of fun to follow the yearly battle of supremacy between FIFA and PES in the early 2000s. But lately I haven't really been seeing much of that rivalry. Has FIFA just completely taken over? Has PES just taken some not-so-good steps that have driven it to obscurity among yearly football games?

Pro Evo Sales have been on a steady decline I think and they just lost more licenses to FIFA.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The transition to the X360 with PES6 was rough, subsequent games for PS3/360 weren't as good as previous entries. PES basically thrived and declined on the PS2. The FIFA team did a lot to make their games play more like Pro Evolution over the years, even adopting the same button layout. Newer Pro Evo games moved to Fox Engine, but there wasn't parity across platforms which hurt the word of mouth.

Biggest thing of all though is the licensing. FIFA has the draw of all the major and minor teams. Official kits and what not. I've always been of the mind that FIFA plays a very poorly. Technically the games aren't good, even though they look nice enough. Pro Evo back in the day played much better, and for a while that was enough, but those days are gone and FIFA now reigns supreme again. I don't think Konami can make PES as popular again. And I don't think they want to.
PES was also pretty great on Wii with a bespoke version tailored to the platform (Playmaker series). And it's HUGE on mobile, it and YGO/Powapuro on mobile is where most of this record breaking profit is coming from. PES is sort of more popular than it's ever been now.

Last edited:

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Well it seems they made the right business call for sure, even if it leaves me a little bitter about losing Suikoden and Castlevania of their line up, at least the Castlevania Collections coming out are something...

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure when laws inevitably change in the coming years they wont be so profitable anymore.

Japan and Asia dont care. Mobage and PC mtx is literally the bread and butter of those markets. Console market pale in comparison toward the money those mobile market bring.

Government certainly would not want to be there losing all the green green tax money.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I play Duel Links alot it gets updated regularly and has a ton of events. Konami makes probably one of my most played games for over a year now.

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
just give us properly done remaster collections of MGS, Silent Hill, Igavania, Gradius and Contra then we'll see eye to eye Konami
Gradius 1 and 2 are on the Konami Arcade Collection, just make sure you buy the japanese version because for some reason Konami region locked the collection and Americans and Europeans only get the western versions of Gradius and others, which were purposefully made harder along some other changes.

RedGator

Nov 7, 2017
I know this is a joke, but taking a look at it seriously for a moment:

Metal Gear Solid 2 was estimated to have cost 10 million back in 2001 and took a bit over two years to make. It ended up selling over 7 million copies. Metal Gear Solid V cost over 80 million in 2015 and took 4 years to make and was still considered "incomplete". It shipped over 6 million copies.

That's why Konami gave up on high end console development. The mobile and pachinko games they make now can be pushed out at a fraction of the cost in a fraction of the time and make just as much, if not more, money. Their reprehensible treatment of their employees and Kojima deserves all the criticism it gets and fuck the executives for doing that, but from a business perspective It just wasn't worth it to them to continue HD game development in its current format.

I think of this quite a lot. There are definitely way easier and cheaper methods of profiting from games, for every big company out there. From a business perspective it doesn't make sense to sink 80 million into a game that might be largely ignored on release. Why do they still do it? The financial risk doesn't seem to be worth it when the gap between how much it costs to make and how much it might bring in is so small.

Goodbye forever to the Konami we all loved, I suppose.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Gamers: Konami is dead.

Konami:
UqhBMhL.gif

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
konami is run by assholes but i'll never blame them for mostly walking away from games publishing. it was smart business per their situation

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Hyper Sports R getting killed wouldn't surprise me. It had a pretty terrible response last year.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I do think Capcom has a winning strategy in making sure they always have most of their classics available on current platforms. Konami is getting the ball rolling with the Castlevania collections and Arcade Classics. Hopefully they continue that and we see more of their back catalog re-released. A lot of their best games are still locked down on hardware that nobody owns anymore. People would be happy to buy them on PS4/XB1/NSW. Seems like easy money.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
Not surprised. From a business perspective they are making som damn good choices. From my perspective what I want from them they are making all the wrong choices.
Hell at this point I would be excited over a Suikoden phone game.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
When you get mad when you see your ex living her best life...

Last edited:

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why are people talking about Capcom in this thread? What happened with their earnings?

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are people talking about Capcom in this thread? What happened with their earnings?

My guess is they made higher than expected sales with traditional type of games showing Konami should do the same. I think Konami should just hand over their IP's to someone who will actually make good use of them.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
My guess is they made higher than expected sales with traditional type of games showing Konami should do the same. I think Konami should just hand over their IP's to someone who will actually make good use of them.
Not to say that it wouldn't be nice to see Konami make a new Castlevania game or whatever, but why is that something they "should" do when their net sales for video games were significantly higher than Capcom's last year? Konami's business model is far more successful.

Insane to think they'd benefit from handing their property over to someone else who would make less money with it.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, Metal Gear Survive sure worked out for them. MGS was a great series all around, but that's because it was Kojima behind the wheel. Let's not encourage Konami to milk Kojima's IP dry without him.
Kojima didn't make the games single handedly. He also wasn't perfect and at least TTS was a worse game thanks to his direct involvement.

Konami should keep making Metal Gear, there's life yet in the IP and a lot of viable directions they could go. Do some FOX Engine remakes, hire Platinum for Rising 2, partner with another JP auteur like Swery, Taro, bring back Hayter, etc.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they do a proper SH Collection eventually, that's what I'm mainly interested in

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I just hope they sell off their biggest ips eventually if they don't intend on using them. Plenty of potential with remakes like how Capcom is doing