• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not to say that it wouldn't be nice to see Konami make a new Castlevania game or whatever, but why is that something they "should" do when their net sales for video games were significantly higher than Capcom's last year? Konami's business model is far more successful.

Insane to think they'd benefit from handing their property over to someone else who would make less money with it.

Or maybe better yet let outside parties develop traditional games with their IP's since Konami isn't really interested.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
You know, it's fine if Konami has stopped making new games outside of PES. It's clearly working out for them. But if they're gonna release games at all, at least ensure they aren't trash. Especially if they're doing ports and remasters. They'd probably make a bit more money that way too.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
You know, it's fine if Konami has stopped making new games outside of PES. It's clearly working out for them. But if they're gonna release games at all, at least ensure they aren't trash. Especially if they're doing ports and remasters. They'd probably make a bit more money that way too.

That's crazy talk, effort cost money!

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good for them. I'll keep buying their good rereleases. Give me the metal gear you cowards

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
a40.gif

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Give me metal gear solid 1-4 collection, charge me way too much I don't care.

I don't want to lose those games to the sands of time

Last edited:

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
They probably killed off Hyper Sports R when they realized there was no interest in that IP. The Bomberman team is probably one of their only teams working on original titles so they would want to make better use of resources.

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
I can finally back Konami again knowing that they're no longer making the things that led me to like Konami and instead are successfully pursuing bigger profits.

Suck it nerds!

Dec 15, 2017
To be honest I don't care about new games from their side. Just port the back catalog to PC and call it a day, I'm not familiar with the economics behind but it should not cost that much vs releasing new HD games, and PC gamers have been waiting on these games for years. A MGS HD Collection even without MGS IV would make Steam crash on release day.

I totally understand their point of view though. The industry has to find a way to produce sustainable and profitable modern looking games without requiring the GDP of a small nation. I don't know... MGS2 to this day is an amazing game with lots of cutscenes and dialog plus the HD version still looks good. Do we really need that much more?

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Konami is a treasure trove of beloved gaming IP.

If they don't care about gaming anymore, do us all a favour and sell the IP to Capcom or someone who will do something with it.

Sell to a company who also have another treasure trove of IP that is left behind or dead?^_^

Now where's that suikoden mobile game konami?

Let us taste the sweet Love Plus bro. Then u can get ur Suikoden.^_^

But Bomberman is good? also their Power Pro series ,Power Spirits and PES is all great games. We are also going to get new Yugioh with some remastered like Castlevania and upcoming Arcade Archive. Thats also not counting how great the mobile effort and of course not to forget how their stellar effort on Arcade with Beatmania, Jubeat and of course the best DDR.

So no. they are certainly not making trash lol. They are making quality product which sadly is not what most people on ERA enjoy.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
That's fine.

But they should be open minded about licensing their IPs.

That's all I ask for really.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile Death Stranding is still without a release date.

A Konami exec is laughing somewhere.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Why would they want to do dumb business decisions knowingly?

What's dumb about selling IP they aren't generating value from?

But Konami is releasing more games, across more IP, across more platforms than Capcom?

What games? What IP and what platforms?

Genuine question.

Sell to a company who also have another treasure trove of IP that is left behind or dead?^_^

Yes... Capcom is barely making any games at all using their legacy IP... /s

I don't even-...

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But they are. And even if they aren't, a company gets more value out of owning IPs than getting cash from a sale. Companies only start selling IPs when they're desperate.

They do that with Momotaro Dentetsu with the help of Nintendo i think and Valhalla games. But yeah after that, they don't seems to put their IP out at all.
Nintendo approached them. Same with Bomberman R. If Nintendo or Sony comes with the money, I'm pretty sure Konami is open to anything, it's just that they don't have too many reasons to do that so usually.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Excellent now they can use these profits to fund Metal Gear Rising 2

Lol @ releasing a Vita game in July 2019. Why bother?

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Genuine question.

I don't even-...

Cac is not only about DMC, RE and SF lol.

Their recent effort with Megaman is okay but, where is Breath of Fire? Haunting Ground? Sengoku Basara? Strider? Okami?

Cac huge focus on their big AAA game is good for sure but i also want the smaller game there.

Oct 25, 2017
I know this is a joke, but taking a look at it seriously for a moment:

Metal Gear Solid 2 was estimated to have cost 10 million back in 2001 and took a bit over two years to make. It ended up selling over 7 million copies. Metal Gear Solid V cost over 80 million in 2015 and took 4 years to make and was still considered "incomplete". It shipped over 6 million copies.

That's why Konami gave up on high end console development. The mobile and pachinko games they make now can be pushed out at a fraction of the cost in a fraction of the time and make just as much, if not more, money. Their reprehensible treatment of their employees and Kojima deserves all the criticism it gets and fuck the executives for doing that, but from a business perspective It just wasn't worth it to them to continue HD game development in its current format.

Why does it have to be AAA project with a bloated out of control budget or nothing though?

AA, middle-tier, or even AAA with a budget/scope smaller than what V had can still be a thing.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't get it. This is a gaming forum.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly wish konami continued putting stuff out, but on a smaller scale. They could stick to cheaper indie like projects just to keep their brands relevant, but it seems their course is set for now. I wonder how long they can milk castlevania and metal gear despite losing an entire generation worth of an audience. Guess they'll have at least 30 years of nostalgic old geezers gambling away their children's inheritance to coast on at least.

Locust Star

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
I just wish they would release their old classic games on PC and consoles, so that it'll be easier and actually possible to play them for those unfamiliar with the legacy that the artists working at Konami have created - stuff like Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania, and Silent Hill.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
I know this is a joke, but taking a look at it seriously for a moment:

Metal Gear Solid 2 was estimated to have cost 10 million back in 2001 and took a bit over two years to make. It ended up selling over 7 million copies. Metal Gear Solid V cost over 80 million in 2015 and took 4 years to make and was still considered "incomplete". It shipped over 6 million copies.

That's why Konami gave up on high end console development. The mobile and pachinko games they make now can be pushed out at a fraction of the cost in a fraction of the time and make just as much, if not more, money. Their reprehensible treatment of their employees and Kojima deserves all the criticism it gets and fuck the executives for doing that, but from a business perspective It just wasn't worth it to them to continue HD game development in its current format.

While they're clearly benefiting from it, I'm still sad and angry to see them half ass, if not fully reject, their games that made them famous.

We should further encourage a boycott of their titles.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bummer they'll leave their IPs to become relics, but at least it suggests the company will be healthy enough in the future to do token legacy releases like their anniversary collections as a bare minimum. Might even see more niche stuff.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone provide a name to the digital entertainment they are making most of their profit with?
Pro Evolution Soccer (console/mobile), Power Pro (console/mobile), Pro Baseball Spirits (console/mobile), Yugioh Duel Links (mobile), arcade machines like beatmania and Dance Dance Revolution. These are the usual performers alongside whatever new stuff they release in a fiscal year.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
you dont make [all the] money buy making vidya anymore, the entire industry had been headed down this path

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Genuine question.

I don't even-...

The OP has a list of Konami games slated for this fiscal year which includes 5 new games in 5 different IPs. 2 on Switch, 1 on PS4/Vita and 2 on mobile. They also have Hyper Sports R announced for Switch and a new Tokimeki Memorial announced(no platforms specified) and there will be a new Pro Evo for PS4/XBO/PC.

Currently the only thing Capcom has announced is Monster Hunter Iceborne and since the beginning of 2017 they've only released new games in six IPs.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
Never got the weird hate Kojima gets on here. Guy'll be the next Molyneux to some of you people if Death Stranding isn't gaming perfection.

Edit: I just looked up Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls. I don't know why I did that to myself. I feel sick.

Last edited:

ResidentDuke

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
I hope nobody think this is because they went pachinko only.....This growth has nothing to do with them stopping doing AAA games. They were increasing their profits BEFORE they got rid of Kojima. They more then doubled their profit between 2015 and 17 but they cant say the same for the last 3 years...And btw they probably included their operational cost decrease in the new profit....