• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It is gone from the German App Store ...
Can't update it, but at least I have it on my iPhone

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Been enjoying this for the past couple of days. Definitely need to practice the boss battles skills-wise though. I got to one and it was "only" a 15 x 15, but it didn't seem like there was much I could do to get started. Certainly no 0 or 15 rows, and none such as 10 where you can at least fill in a few of the squares due to both directions overlapping. I didn't really know what to do, used a couple of hints and then called it quits. I've completed plenty of normal 15x15 puzzles with no hints, maybe it was because this was a boss puzzle. Any strategy for these? I assume they can't be down to luck so there must be something I missed.

Oct 25, 2017
This game is so good, I placed it #2 on my GotY list last year. I just loved the experience with the music and the deep dives into Konami history that had me running to Wikipedia or YouTube to read/watch more or to MAME to play the games represented. I even got off my butt and went to the arcade nearby to play some Sunset Riders after one of the puzzles (and I made an excellent choice).

I also feel like when you fill a line and the rest of it X'es out is one of the most satisfying feelings in a game last year. Like, it feels good somehow to do that. Maybe it's the sound. Maybe it's the visual of filling a line. I don't know.

I stopped playing about about 105% because I was bored with doing 5x5s and 10x10s that I already did before with restrictions on marking squares. I wanted those new puzzles, though. Maybe I'll go back.

Anyway, great game, can't believe that it's free, would have paid for it.

Been enjoying this for the past couple of days. Definitely need to practice the boss battles skills-wise though. I got to one and it was "only" a 15 x 15, but it didn't seem like there was much I could do to get started. Certainly no 0 or 15 rows, and none such as 10 where you can at least fill in a few of the squares due to both directions overlapping. I didn't really know what to do, used a couple of hints and then called it quits. I've completed plenty of normal 15x15 puzzles with no hints, maybe it was because this was a boss puzzle. Any strategy for these? I assume they can't be down to luck so there must be something I missed.

I apologize for the suggestion that you might have already tried, but did you try overlapping with some of your not-so-obvious lines?

• For example, in a 15x15, a 15 means that you know that the whole row is full.
  • So does 8 6 because they add up to 14, and two numbers in a line means that there is one X square and the other 14 squares are filled.
  • So does 6 4 3 because they add up to 13, and three numbers in a line mean that there are two X squares and the other 13 squares are filled.
  • So does 4 4 2 2 because they add up to twelve, and four numbers in a line...so on and so on.

Usually in these 15x15s or higher that look impossible, there is at least one line with three+ numbers as a hint where you'll have overlap of a square or two to get you started, e.g. a 4 2 3 1 in a 15x15 where (if my visualized math is correct), the fourth square in that line will have overlap.

Sorry if this is all old hat to you, but maybe it helps?

Last edited:

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands

Well sometimes you can get stumped like that and finding a place to start seems harder than it should be.

If it happens again, then you can drop a screenshot here and we could help you.

One general tip I can give is to find the rows and columns that fill up more than half the length/height.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Oh wow, glad I saw this thread.
This game is finally available in my country, after almost a year!

DrDamn

Oct 27, 2017
Add up the numbers, add on the number of numbers, take away 1. Take that number away from the grid size. If any of the numbers you added together in the first step are larger than the result then you can fill in some squares. 😀
For example 4 4 2 on a 15x15 grid.
4 + 4 + 2 = 10
10 + 3 numbers = 13
13 - 1 = 12
15 - 12 = 3
The fours are 1 bigger than 3 so you should be able to fill in one square each for those. Squares 4 and 9 in the line. (Where the possible 4s would overlap).

In a perfect example of 10 4 on a 15x15 grid.

4 + 10 = 14
14 + 2 numbers = 16
16 - 1 = 15
15 - 15 = 0

So all numbers are bigger and you can fill them all in.
Possibly over complicating things, but that general principle can be applied to any grid size, any line.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Well sometimes you can get stumped like that and finding a place to start seems harder than it should be.

If it happens again, then you can drop a screenshot here and we could help you.

One general tip I can give is to find the rows and columns that fill up more than half the length/height.
Thanks, much appreciated, I'll give that a go next time!

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Have hit stop on the non-boss puzzles, do I need to wait three hours for each boss puzzle?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping to play this while listening to podcasts on the train home - but the music is just too good. And the little sound effect stings when the puzzle is picked - the hypersports one is just hitting me right in the nostalgics every time

Oct 25, 2017
México
I just discovered this game yesterday... been playing for some hours. But why is this game easier than Picross?

To be honest, I have never played other nonogram games besides Picross; I really love Picross and have spent hundreds of hours playing them. But why does this game feels much easier than Picross? Could it be because it uses touch inputs instead of buttons?

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I hit like 94% and suddenly I'm just sitting here waiting for this stupid goddamn timer so I can finish these boss puzzles.

They really should have dropped the timer or reduced it by like 75% after finishing the basic puzzles.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hit like 94% and suddenly I'm just sitting here waiting for this stupid goddamn timer so I can finish these boss puzzles.

They really should have dropped the timer or reduced it by like 75% after finishing the basic puzzles.

Yeah I just got here too. Its ridiculous, once you finish all the normal puzzles they should have turned the timer off and let you work four boss puzzles at a time.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
I'm dying having to wait 10 minutes for hints. I find myself just leaving the game open while I'm out and about at my house just so I can use my hints.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I just got here too. Its ridiculous, once you finish all the normal puzzles they should have turned the timer off and let you work four boss puzzles at a time.
I feel like the odd man out. I ended up finishing all the boss puzzles long before I finished the regular ones.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm dying having to wait 10 minutes for hints. I find myself just leaving the game open while I'm out and about at my house just so I can use my hints.
There's no reason to use hints at all. Get gud. :P

I feel like the odd man out. I ended up finishing all the boss puzzles long before I finished the regular ones.
I'm the type of person that can't just play a single puzzle and end up playing a few in a row so I had plenty of boss puzzles left over. I went from 100% to 200% in less than 2 weeks because the timer gets turned off after 100%.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Been playing this for a couple of weeks now here and there and got to 64%

Now some of the puzzles are getting hard to get started, but after reading some of the tips in here I think I should be okay. Also, Gradius III (AC) OST Sand Storm (stage 1)... those drums!

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Me after completing a puzzle in 10 seconds even though I know it's easy

tenor.gif

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
oooh there are new puzzles? i thought it was just a regular bug fix update. i'm currently at like 95% doing the boss puzzles to get to 100. do they unlock after 100%?
It just updated and although I'm at 103% there are new entries in the individual sections, maybe about 30 new puzzles overall.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
You sure there are new puzzles? I'm at 200% and don't see anything new. Is 1.1.0 the newest version from 2 days ago because the notes only mention bug fixes.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I finished it at 101% or so in June and all the puzzles were there iirc. Today there are more.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, odd i didn't see them before. Apologies for any unnecessary excitement!

Sobig

Dec 14, 2017
Amazing game, I am playing it all the time now since I am stuck to the bed atm. Can anyone recommend a game with the same concept for PC or a Console? Thanks

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing game, I am playing it all the time now since I am stuck to the bed atm. Can anyone recommend a game with the same concept for PC or a Console? Thanks
what consoles do you have? if you have a switch, hands down the best picross games available are the S series by Jupiter. there's 5 of them currently. you can just start with S5 (there's a demo for you to try).
www.nintendo.com

PICROSS S5 for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Official Site

Buy PICROSS S5 and shop other great Nintendo products online at the official My Nintendo Store.

on PC, paint it back is pretty good (it's also on mobile).

Sobig

Dec 14, 2017
what consoles do you have? if you have a switch, hands down the best picross games available are the S series by Jupiter. there's 5 of them currently. you can just start with S5 (there's a demo for you to try).
www.nintendo.com

PICROSS S5 for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Official Site

Buy PICROSS S5 and shop other great Nintendo products online at the official My Nintendo Store.

on PC, paint it back is pretty good (it's also on mobile).

Got a few consoles but would love if there was something for PS. Anyway, Paint it Back will do the trick. Thank you so much!