• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
Some QOL stuff that might be good:
Allow finger scaling
Only do swipe scrolling with two fingers (so you can draw with one finger)
One thing a lot of picross games I've played allows that if you have a bunch of Xs then draw over it with a line, it wont overfill the x's - this made filling out a line super easy sometimes
It doesnt support using the S pen to tap which would help with precision issues.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Online only? Just curious because I'd love to have this for an upcoming flight but won't have internet available.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
deleted the game. at least on the screen of an iphone 7, the game is pretty unplayable when you get to 15x15 puzzles. the controls are messy and clunky. i guess it'll be good on an ipad or something.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
deleted the game. at least on the screen of an iphone 7, the game is pretty unplayable when you get to 15x15 puzzles. the controls are messy and clunky. i guess it'll be good on an ipad or something.
Huh? I've had no issues playing this game on my iPad. Granted some inputs may not register but never detered my enjoyment of the game.

Online only? Just curious because I'd love to have this for an upcoming flight but won't have internet available.
I've been playing it with the wi fi off for days since release, so it can be played offline :)

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017

I've been playing on my tablet and it's not too bad. I just find the puzzles to be extremely easy. So far I don't think I've taken longer than a minute to complete a puzzle. And that's including the 15x15 puzzles.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh? I've had no issues playing this game on my iPad. Granted some inputs may not register but never detered my enjoyment of the game.
I've been playing on my tablet and it's not too bad. I just find the puzzles to be extremely easy. So far I don't think I've taken longer than a minute to complete a puzzle. And that's including the 15x15 puzzles.
that's exactly what i said? i said it's bad on my small phone screen but i imagine it's nice on the bigger screen of a tablet.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I think I'm just going to do boss puzzles for now. Almost 50% complete and my hands hurt from playing so much which always happens when a new Picross game is out.

A minute or so on the 15x15 puzzles? You're good. They are on the easier side, especially at first but now all I get which 4 star puzzles which aren't hard, but take a little bit.

At almost 50% though I expect they'll get harder.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm just going to do boss puzzles for now. Almost 50% complete and my hands hurt from playing so much which always happens when a new Picross game is out.

A minute or so on the 15x15 puzzles? You're good. They are on the easier side, especially at first but now all I get which 4 star puzzles which aren't hard, but take a little bit.

At almost 50% though I expect they'll get harder.

I guess so. Maybe because I played through every Picross game on 3DS. I'm currently doing the Sanrio Picross on 3DS now.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I had to use my US iTunes account but man this game is pretty good!
I'm only at 20% so far but only got one normal Bomberman puzzle >.<

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Ran into a weird glitch where when I try to get a hint after using the 10 free ones, the game just no longer allows input on the puzzle unless I pause the game & the timer starts counting down from 10 minutes. Weird, it's suppose to play an ad but it never does.

Now past 53% in terms of puzzles completed. 54/80 Action, 34/64 Shooting, 31/58 Thinking, 17/44 Sports, 29/46 Variety, 45/61 Gradius (only 2 more regular puzzles, then it's all Boss puzzles), 10/28 Parodius (2 mid-boss & all Boss left), 18/51 Bomberman, 15/38 School Girls, & 12/30 Castlevania. Really wish the cooldown for Boss puzzles was quicker, maybe like 2 hours instead of 4.

The 4-star puzzles have varied from "huh, that wasn't too bad, only took like 2 or 3 minutes" to "damn, this is actually tough". Super glad I went into this with years of Picross experience, because I can't imagine how hard these puzzles would've been for someone new to the concept.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Been getting a bit better I think. The puzzles that don't give you any easy starting hints are now doable, some have taken me 30+ min to complete.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Hit 60% completed & now I'm finally getting 5-star rating puzzles. Ran into a rather infuriating puzzle last night that even typing it into a monogram solver couldn't even figure out. So infuriating when you're SO close to solving it, but one row/column is off & you can't figure out how to fix it.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I'm on nothing but 4 star regular puzzles for awhile now (32%) but I'm still getting 3 star boss puzzles.

Dunnymeister

Oct 25, 2017
Perth, Australia
I'm glad it's free because they really didn't put any thought into the controls. No mark tool to make note of potential Xs or filled in tiles. Zoom is there but the scrolling controls are atrocious. Zoomed out 15x15 is way too small.

I hope they patch it because it's really tough to recommend for anything other than the price atm.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap, I hit 74% & was told "STOP", which I then realized I had completed every single normal & mini-boss puzzle in the game. Meaning it's all just Boss puzzles, which I have to constantly wait 4 hours for.

Status update:

- Action: 80/80, all completed
- Shooting: 48/64, 16 left
- Thinking: 49/58: 9 left
- Sports: 28/44, 16 left
- Variety: 40/46, 6 left
- Gradius: 50/61, 11 left
- Parodius: 12/28, 16 left
- Bomberman: 25/51, 26 left
- School Girls: 22/38, 16 left
- Castlevania: 16/30, 14 left

Total left: 130 puzzles. Haven't even started on 3 of them.

130 x 4 hours = 520 hours, or 21.6 days, or basically OVER THREE WEEKS to finish the rest of these.

Barrylocke

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that makes me glad Ive been going at a relatively slower pace. Im at 28% so far. I generally hop on when I remember to for a boss puzzle and then do a few more after I finish that. I do suspect eventually being stopgapped by boss puzzles though.

Oct 27, 2017
GA, USA
Holy crap, I hit 74% & was told "STOP", which I then realized I had completed every single normal & mini-boss puzzle in the game. Meaning it's all just Boss puzzles, which I have to constantly wait 4 hours for.

Status update:

- Action: 80/80, all completed
- Shooting: 48/64, 16 left
- Thinking: 49/58: 9 left
- Sports: 28/44, 16 left
- Variety: 40/46, 6 left
- Gradius: 50/61, 11 left
- Parodius: 12/28, 16 left
- Bomberman: 25/51, 26 left
- School Girls: 22/38, 16 left
- Castlevania: 16/30, 14 left

Total left: 130 puzzles. Haven't even started on 3 of them.

130 x 4 hours = 520 hours, or 21.6 days, or basically OVER THREE WEEKS to finish the rest of these.
I'm like 10% below you, and I was afraid this would happen. I kinda hoped the 4 hour wait would just disappear after finishing all the normal.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I've clocked over 35 hours in this game.
If they do add some in game purchases I'm going to throw them a few bucks for all the entertainment I've gotten out of this.

Boss-

Apr 20, 2018
I am playing it more casually. When I have free time commuting I load it up and play Boss mode and then another level if there is still time. If I had more free time I would just play a regular non-mobile game. I think this experience is great in small chunks, that reward you for your efforts. There is no need to rush to the end.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
WTF at this puzzle

cd587a2a-ef4b-4d5d-ae23ia1.png

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Time to learn some advanced techniques.

You'll have to use the same logic you do for large numbers in a row, but do it for groups of smaller numbers. You'll get less information to start with, but it's pretty much all you can do here.
It's goint to make me better for sure, I just it 43,2% completion.

Edit : actually I'm stupid haha, how could I overlook that 6/3, it's very easy once you start with it.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
Time to learn some advanced techniques.

You'll have to use the same logic you do for large numbers in a row, but do it for groups of smaller numbers. You'll get less information to start with, but it's pretty much all you can do here.

Can you explain a little more? 6 3 doesn't seem like a great hint, can you tell me the logic please.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Can you explain a little more? 6 3 doesn't seem like a great hint, can you tell me the logic please.
It can get you one dot filled on the bottom 7 row, then you continue from here like crossing the far right column and you don't have much choice from its 7 there.

It's a technique where you fill all possible solutions and keep the dot where it's filled in every situation.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Last edited:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
On the harder puzzles, you'll need to count out the possible spaces starting from both the top & the bottom. So for example, with the 6, there's one possible spot that can be filled in, the 6th from the top because that space can work with any combination of 6 & 3.

A simpler way of explaining it is in a 10x10 puzzle, if there's a 4 & 4, add it up to 8, and the space between them is 9, so as a hint, you can fill in 3 out of the 4 spaces so it looks like this:

[ ] [O] [O] [O] [ ] [ ] [O] [O] [O] [ ]

Or in simpler terms, if you have a 8 in a 10x10 puzzle:

[ ] [ ] [O] [O] [O] [O] [O] [O] [ ] [ ]

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
On the harder puzzles, you'll need to count out the possible spaces starting from both the top & the bottom. So for example, with the 6, there's one possible spot that can be filled in, the 6th from the top because that space can work with any combination of 6 & 3.

A simpler way of explaining it is in a 10x10 puzzle, if there's a 4 & 4, add it up to 8, and the space between them is 9, so as a hint, you can fill in 3 out of the 4 spaces so it looks like this:

[ ] [O] [O] [O] [ ] [ ] [O] [O] [O] [ ]

Or in simpler terms, if you have a 8 in a 10x10 puzzle:

[ ] [ ] [O] [O] [O] [O] [O] [O] [ ] [ ]

Thanks both of you, I've played lots of piccross but I guess I go lucky in these cases.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
You should play the lottery, then, because I can't imagine how you'd get through most decently hard puzzles with luck alone, hah.

An easy way for me to approach it is to just to start from the wall for the first number, do an x, and then see where the second number absolutely has to use squares in the remaining space.

So, for the case "3 4" in a row of 10, o being the "fake" marks for the first number and O being confirmed:

[o][o][o][x][ ][ ][O][O][ ][ ]

and similarly

[ ][ ][O][ ][ ][x][o][o][o][o]

which results in

[ ][ ][O][ ][ ][ ][O][O][ ][ ]

And when there's 3+ numbers, similarly just focus on one of the numbers and you can do it with each set of numbers to its sides sticking as close to their wall as possible.

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
I've clocked over 35 hours in this game.
If they do add some in game purchases I'm going to throw them a few bucks for all the entertainment I've gotten out of this.

How do you see time spent?

I have consistently spent 50+ hours on each of the DS games. Here I'm at 30% after what feels like 25 hours.

Thanks Konami

Whew lad

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
I don't know if anybody's confirmed this yet, but I think the hints are micro transactions. At just it implies it by giving you ten to start and then not working when the server's are off line

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
These last few 5 star puzzles are a bit rough.

The ads probably only show up when online. I think wordscapes does this, ads show up for me because I'm always online, but the ads don't show on my friends because their mostly offline.
Well, my phone is always online. Still have yet to see one.

How do you see time spent?

I have consistently spent 50+ hours on each of the DS games. Here I'm at 30% after what feels like 25 hours.

Thanks Konami

Whew lad

It was just via the iOS battery stats that I got a rough estimate. Showed me info from the previous 10 days.

Oct 30, 2017
Boss timer is dumb. I've run out of puzzles at 74%. At least let me watch an ad to get rid of it or something. I don't really understand the purpose of making me wait.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Just downloaded this after it was discussed during the latest 8-4 podcast.The fan service in this app is unexpectedly awesome for current day Konami (wow at the weapon select themes from Gradius 2 and 3 which are two of my favorite tracks ever being used for the title screen music) let alone being 100% free. Really happy this exists and hopefully it's maybe a sign Konami is looking into leveraging its classic content more.

Last edited: