• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Carlquincy

Jul 25, 2022
Finished Flower of Evil.

Very good show, though 16 epi is too long.

Few shows that I've seen the female lead being so head over heels for the male lead. Like holy shit. Serves the plot and her motivations for her decisions well.

Liked the detective team as well. Everyone is capable, even the comic relief guy.

The only thing I din like is the male lead getting in an accident with the antagonist. Way too coincidental.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
I'm having trouble feeling motivated to watch While You Were Sleeping. I like it, and I like the characters. But I wonder if there is a lack of direction or momentum to the story that is keeping me from getting invested. I'm 4.5 hours into the series. It might just be me, being in the wrong mood. I don't plan to quit it.

JaySosa

Nov 10, 2023
Mars
That's how I feel about most (but not all) romance dramas tbh. The secondary plots (outside of the romance) are rarely that strong. In comparison, when romance is the secondary plot the stories seem to be a lot more cohesive. I guess there's a whole discussion you could have about genre strengths and their place in modern, media but that would be an essay in itself.

I liked Business Proposal though just because it avoided some of the usual fluff. And Kim Sejeong was indeed great.

Yeah but my issue with the show was mainly that there was no secondary plot, like none (imho) ^^

I think the best example for how you (can) do romance without any overarching subplot is Hometown Cha Cha Cha, which also was basically just one slice of life episode after the other. But since you had all the (more or less) interesting side characters, it never seemed boring to me.

But don't want it to sound like the show was bad, it simply wasn't for me as soon as the tone shifted away from comedy. Seems like dramas that purely focus on the romance part, without anything else, simply aren't my cup of tea.

EDIT: Btw, how are the other shows with Sejeong? Already watched Uncanny Counter : )

Last edited:

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Binged the impossible heir over the last two days and i have to say this is the worst drama of 2024 so far. From terrible acting to terrible writing to terrible pacing this show literally has everything. Not sure how they tricked Disney into paying for all of this.

If you're interested in a conglomerate drama/revenge story watch reborn rich instead.

Uniomni

Banned
Jun 13, 2022
Binged the impossible heir over the last two days and i have to say this is the worst drama of 2024 so far. From terrible acting to terrible writing to terrible pacing this show literally has everything. Not sure how they tricked Disney into paying for all of this.

If you're interested in a conglomerate drama/revenge story watch reborn rich instead.

Yeah it was extremely glossy but very silly.

The male lead is one of my favorite young actors and he's a phenomenal talent but this ish was helter skelter with no shelter nonsense.

Hard dud but hopefully the next one he picks is better.

All the actors were good except for the female lead and I'm unsure if it was her talent or what they wrote for her.

JaySosa

Nov 10, 2023
Mars
Almost finished with Doom at Your Service (2021), and even though I can't quite put my finger on it why exactly, I absolutely love it. I mean sure, the premise is somewhat unique (at least to me): Tak "Dong Kyung has been working hard ever since her parents passed away. Her life seemed more stable after working as a web novel editor for 6 years, but then she gets diagnosed with glioblastoma (brain cancer). She blames her unlucky life and wishes to curse everything to disappear, which unintentionally calls Myeol Mang, Doom himself - neither human nor god - to appear." but besides that it's basically the usual romance plot, including all the kdrama cliches that come with it. Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for supernatural stories or the fact that the entire cast is very likable and talented, but most likely it's just because the FL (Park Bo Young) is so incredibly adorable.

Oh and the OST and the music is also top notch, and visually and thematically it reminds me somewhat of Goblin, which is never a bad thing.

www.youtube.com

[MV] Ailee(에일리) - Breaking Down [어느 날 우리 집 현관으로 멸망이 들어왔다(Doom At Your Service) OST Part.1]

‘어느 날 우리 집 현관으로 멸망이 들어왔다’ 첫 번째 OST 공개!tvN 월화 드라마 ‘어느 날 우리 집 현관으로 멸망이 들어왔다(이하 멸망)’ OST Part.1, ‘에일리’의 ‘Breaking Down’이 공개되었다.명품 보컬리스트 에일리가 참여한 ‘Breaking Down’...

Last edited:

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Just finished Sisyphus.

Loved it. What a ride.

The last episode though, God I don't know what to think. The first half was fine showing what happened but the second half was all over the place.

han tae-sul suicide, seo-hae getting shot by Eddy, Tae-Sul is now in some Limbo/ Heaven thing now. You don't see the aftermath of what happens with Eddy. Sigma still a psycho at the end.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Just finished Sisyphus.

Loved it. What a ride.

The last episode though, God I don't know what to think. The first half was fine showing what happened but the second half was all over the place.

han tae-sul suicide, seo-hae getting shot by Eddy, Tae-Sul is now in some Limbo/ Heaven thing now. You don't see the aftermath of what happens with Eddy. Sigma still a psycho at the end.

My take on it is:

that for the entire show we were watching, the characters were already in some form of limbo. Tae-Sul has finally atoned and broken the chain and so he's ascended to heaven. But Eddy & Sigma are still evil and so they're still stuck in limbo. They're stuck pushing that boulder until they repent and break the chain.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
I'm getting a little ahead of myself in picking my next drama, I still have 6 episodes of While You Were Sleeping left. But I think next will be Thirty but Seventeen.

JaySosa

Nov 10, 2023
Mars
Finished "Doom at your service", absolutely loved it, it's visually amazing, cast is superb and super likable, and it gives enough time to even minor characters so that they feel like a true part of the story.

It's also very melancholic, hardly surprising given the premise that the FL is terminally ill, I think the only other show where I was crying as often is Scarlet Heart Ryo (for different reasons though)

Story is very simple, but told in a way that I personally found to be very entertaining, the great chemistry between the main leads obviously helped plus it makes great use of the OST.

I can totally see why it received some mixed reviews though, it certainly isn't for everyone since it's very slow and focuses on the interaction between the characters more than trying to tell a gripping story.

For me its a 5/5, easily Top10 drama, maybe even Top5.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
I finished While You Were Sleeping. I wasn't too sure about it at first, but things ended up coming together in a satisfying way. I ended up giving it an 8.5 on MDL. My next drama will be Thirty but Seventeen. It will be my 24th Kdrama.

Oh, I just realized Queen of Tears is written by the Crash Landing on You screenwriter, so I might have to change my plans and watch that next.

Well, I'm half way through episode 1 of Queen of Tears, and not liking it.
The only likeable character is miserable, and seems traumatized by his marriage. I can't watch 16 hours of this. From the show description they start to get along again, but I don't know if this is worth it... And the setting and plot outside of the relationship aren't interesting either, but maybe I haven't given it enough chance yet. As of right now I feel this show has nothing going for it, for my taste at least.

Nope. I gave it another 15 minutes but I just don't like it. Watching it is making me miserable. I'm out.

Last edited:

JaySosa

Nov 10, 2023
Mars
Watched the first two and a half episode of Flower of Evil yesterday, but honestly the premise seems to depressing for me, at least at the moment. Plus I hate the mean parents/mother trope with a passion. Will most likely continue in the future since it's so well liked, but certainly not something I want to watch right now.
So I started with Alchemy of Souls, and despite the effects looking a bit cheap and the show seeming a bit campy (not sure if that's the right word for it) it's very entertaining at least, plus Oh my Girl's Arin is in it. Man, watching Descendants of the Sun, Masters Sun and Doom at your Service back to back to back might've not been the wisest choice, now my expectations are way too high it seems. Plus I still can't quite figure out what kind of kdrama subgenre(s) I actually like..oh well.

EDIT: 4 episodes into Alchemy of Souls and it's pretty awesome, only downside is not enough Arin so far. Hope she gets more screen time going forward :D

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching Queen of Tears and its really enjoyable but man the premise is so flimsy.

I just can't buy the husband actually wanting his wife dead especially the further it goes in with all the flashbacks. I get its going towards oh wait he actually loves her but it just makes the first few episodes such a stretch for the character.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Finished Moving!!!!! So good!

They had a ton of flashbacks, like it felt like two series m, one the prequel and one the current situation. But the way they did it eventually made sense showing all the motivations and ties. I got so many questions!

1. Are we suppose to know who the time stopping kid is supposed to be?

2. Are we supposed to know what Kisoo's deal is? The bully. He was snooping around the school.

3. Are we supposed to know who the powerful lady is who got Min trouble in the finale?

4. Does Bongeman's Uncle run the bus company? He always is super nice to him even through he breaks a ton of stuff

Carlquincy

Jul 25, 2022
Watched the first two and a half episode of Flower of Evil yesterday, but honestly the premise seems to depressing for me, at least at the moment. Plus I hate the mean parents/mother trope with a passion. Will most likely continue in the future since it's so well liked, but certainly not something I want to watch right now.
So I started with Alchemy of Souls, and despite the effects looking a bit cheap and the show seeming a bit campy (not sure if that's the right word for it) it's very entertaining at least, plus Oh my Girl's Arin is in it. Man, watching Descendants of the Sun, Masters Sun and Doom at your Service back to back to back might've not been the wisest choice, now my expectations are way too high it seems. Plus I still can't quite figure out what kind of kdrama subgenre(s) I actually like..oh well.

EDIT: 4 episodes into Alchemy of Souls and it's pretty awesome, only downside is not enough Arin so far. Hope she gets more screen time going forward :D

Thought Flower was really good. But was a bit too lengthy at 16 episodes.

JaySosa

Nov 10, 2023
Mars
Thought Flower was really good. But was a bit too lengthy at 16 episodes.

Oh, don't get me wrong it seems to be a great show (judging by the reception and the fact that Lee Joon Gi is in it) it's just that the way that the story is set up (at least initially, no spoilers please) looked a bit too depressing for my current state of mind. I mean what did I expect from a show that is called Flower of Evil after all ^^ Will almost certainly watch it somewhere in the future. Alchemy of Souls is more up my alley atm, it really is kinda like a shonen manga, just with older and extremely good looking characters.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
I'm really enjoying Thirty But Seventeen a.k.a. Still 17, not sure what the real English title is. I find Shin Hye Sun to be a great lead actress, this is my third drama with her as the lead. She is just really good, likeable and funny. This is my type of drama, I want to look up anything I can find that has a similar vibe to this one. I criticized While You Were Sleeping for not seeming to have much of a direction early on, this is sort of the same but I don't find it to be a problem here. And I really like the character Jennifer also, she's great.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I'm watching Queen of Tears and its really enjoyable but man the premise is so flimsy.

I just can't buy the husband actually wanting his wife dead especially the further it goes in with all the flashbacks. I get its going towards oh wait he actually loves her but it just makes the first few episodes such a stretch for the character.
He didn't wanted her dead. He just wanted to escape from her family. She's also not very likable at first. But if she dies anyway it's better to stay for a couple of months