• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Finished Lawless Lawyer. It's a really great show.. but.. if the show had the same quality it had in the first 6 episodes throughout the entire 16, it would be one of the best shows ever made. Pacing issues, characters doing really dumb decisions for plot rather than it making sense, and other kdrama tropes. I think the show would have been best as a 12 episodes rather than 16. Now don't get me wrong, the other 10 are really great, it's just a bit disappointing since the first 6 episodes are so. fucking. good. It had masterpiece potential, but I still give it 9.1/10.

Now I'm just gonna finish She was Pretty (real fun show) since there's only like 3-4 eps left and start Healer based on the suggestion from mat from here. Plus it has the guy from Suspicious Partner and the chick from Secretary Kim, both real good actors.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
I think I've mentioned it but I'm actually watching Healer a second time because my wife has never seen it. We watch it together as our Monday night after dinner show. We're only 6 or 7 episodes in but she already loves it and I'm liking it as much the second time as I did the first time.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Just finished Ghost Detective. The acting is the best part (its excellent) followed by the soundtrack and sound design (which is suitably creepy and dark). The writers seem to make up their own rules about the supernatural world as they go along which leads to some head scratching moments and developments but I still enjoyed the show overall. It starts off extremely well, dips somewhat towards the latter third and then manages to redeem (well, mostly) itself by the ending. It's not the best thing I've ever watched but its also far from the worst and I would probably still recommend it to someone who likes paranormal stories (it really fit the Halloween time period in which it aired).

clyde_

Nov 2, 2017
I think I've mentioned it but I'm actually watching Healer a second time because my wife has never seen it. We watch it together as our Monday night after dinner show. We're only 6 or 7 episodes in but she already loves it and I'm liking it as much the second time as I did the first time.

Healer is so good. I loved it so much.

------
We just started watching a Taiwanese drama called Bromance. Have y'all seen this? We are on episode 7 and I'm freaking out due to the pacing of the show. Du Zifeng is so great; you always think he is going to be mad but he is always so grateful to have a friend. So good.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Watched the first episode of Encounter tonight on Viki. I was pretty much glued to the screen the entire episode. What an immaculately filmed first episode. It's absolutely gorgeous television helped ever so much by Park Bo Gum (does anyone on planet earth have a nicer smile than he does?) and Song Hye Kyo being gorgeous themselves. I'm still buzzing about it. Wow.

timeforsana

Oct 26, 2017
Can't remember the last show I watched because the cable networks haven't put anything out that has been of interest to me.

But this could be alright. Netflix's first foray into K-Dramas. 6 episode first season releases 25th January, filming on a second 6 episode season begins in February.

Bae Doona getting more of that Netflix money.

--

Also watched both Along with the Gods movies recently. They were surprisingly good. Wonky CGI at points but entertaining.

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the first episode of Encounter tonight on Viki. I was pretty much glued to the screen the entire episode. What an immaculately filmed first episode. It's absolutely gorgeous television helped ever so much by Park Bo Gum (does anyone on planet earth have a nicer smile than he does?) and Song Hye Kyo being gorgeous themselves. I'm still buzzing about it. Wow.

I watched first episode too and I really enjoyed it.

I'm also looking forward to Kingdom

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So I watched the first 12 episodes of Healer. What a great fucking show. Also one where secondary characters I don't care about become so much more interesting later on. A great example of this is the 2nd lead from My Love from the Star. He's basically just some rich dude that's into the main chick and childhood friend, but once you see the moments with his brothers, he became the most interesting aspect of the entire story. The moments in flashbacks with his older brother that gives him the pen for example, and he hears the recording of their conversation is my favorite moment in that entire show. I have a lil sister, so those moments always fucking get me. And this was a character in the first half of the story, I didn't care for at all.

Anyways, I mention this because my two favorite scenes from Healer were both from episode 12 from what I've seen. The woman in the wheelchair entering their conversation, showing her reaction and then their conversation at the bedroom. Unlike the main theme music which I don't care for, that music that hits when she's talking feels like a motherly/family impact music that makes the scenes so much better. I re-watched those 2 scenes many times. She's also the best actor in the entire show. I notice there are a lot of tragic characters in this show. I will be really pissed if the reporter kim moon ho somehow ends up dying at the end of the show, even though I see some red flags with him... Either he or (and?) teacher will get it. But him in particular is different since he's been so successful and lived a miserable life this entire time out of guilt, and he didn't do anything wrong! I'm annoyed as fuck that Healer doesn't see his perspective, but I also understand knowing his past. It's all frustrating...

Last edited:

doagrl

Nov 1, 2017
USA
This was a great drama week for me.

Watching

Encounter is so breathtakingly beautiful and fun. I've watched both episodes three times so far because they were just that good.

I knew going in that Park Bo Gum would be basically playing an idealized version of himself (nice, pretty, artistic & super boyfriend material) which I was onboard with from the start but I wasn't sure how I would feel about Song Hye Kyo's character of Cha Soo Hyun. The cold, chaebol daughter character summary didn't sound all that welcoming but she is not cold at all! She's reserved due to the life she's had to lead both as a daughter and later, a daughter-in-law, but she's actually friendly (to the few people she can be friends with) and cute with a savage sense of humor! I absolutely love her! Needless to say I am 100% invested in this for the next 14 episodes.

Also, filming in exotic overseas locations is a big thing now for k dramas but I can't remember a single show that made the location filming look anywhere near as good as Encounter. It was like watching the most lovingly produced travel show ever. I actually want to visit Cuba now all because of this drama.

Clean with Passion for Now is just the spirited rom-com that I needed. So happy that Kim Yoo Jung is back on my screen and she is seriously killing it. She is one of the few actresses who can go from slapstick to heart-melting and back again and it all just feels so natural. I knew that I would end up spoiling myself on this show but even after reading about most of the highlights I still enjoyed it and laughed a ton when I finally got a chance to watch it.

Memories of the Alhambra was not what I expected. I didn't stay up to date on the promos for this show so while I knew it was going to be experimental, I didn't realize just how experimental it would be. I have to say that the first episode was up & down for me. I was into for the first twenty minutes then it lost me and as I was coming back around I was turned off by Hyun Bin's yelling and Park Shin Hye's crying. So I kind of mentally tuned out at that point. I'm not onboard with this, but it does have Hyun Bin, so that's enough for me to give it a couple more weeks to settle.

Children of Nobody is so good. I still don't know if Kim Sun Ah's character is losing her mind or not but there is definitely some kind of trauma in her backstory that we haven't been shown. I also have a nagging suspicion that all these coincidental deaths surrounding her may not be so coincidental but I don't want to write anymore about that in case I spoil it for someone who is thinking about checking the show out.

Mama Fairy is still weirdly, wonderful. I've been trying to fight it, but I have a terrible case of 2nd lead syndrome that will only end in heartbreak.

I also picked up SKY Castle while waiting for the big premier episodes to hit. It has such a makjang, soap opera feel to it that I was almost embarrassed to watch, but I was hooked after the first episode. These are all terrible people and I look forward to them meeting terrible ends but I just can't look away.

I have 6 more episodes to go on Love Alert.

Dropped

The Last Empress. I thought this would be an updated Goong but it is definitely not that. While Sky Castle is a deliciously catty soap satire this is just a mess and after two weeks I'm just not feeling it at all.

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
I watched Memories of the Alhambra and I'm undecided on it. I'll give it a few more episodes but right now the male lead needs a complete personality transplant.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Memories of the Alhambra was not at all what I was expecting. I think it is one of those shows where I will watch it for the leads but really not care for the story. The first two episodes feel very Hollywood in terms of action, music and production values but are scant on character development and warmth. I'll stick around to see what happens but I really did not love what I have seen so far.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Watched the 1st episode of Clean with Passion. I was not expecting that horsehead sequence and I laughed so hard my stomach hurt. Also, that ending was totally hilarious. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this one!

less

Oct 25, 2017
This was a great drama week for me.

Watching

Encounter is so breathtakingly beautiful and fun. I've watched both episodes three times so far because they were just that good.

I knew going in that Park Bo Gum would be basically playing an idealized version of himself (nice, pretty, artistic & super boyfriend material) which I was onboard with from the start but I wasn't sure how I would feel about Song Hye Kyo's character of Cha Soo Hyun. The cold, chaebol daughter character summary didn't sound all that welcoming but she is not cold at all! She's reserved due to the life she's had to lead both as a daughter and later, a daughter-in-law, but she's actually friendly (to the few people she can be friends with) and cute with a savage sense of humor! I absolutely love her! Needless to say I am 100% invested in this for the next 14 episodes.

Also, filming in exotic overseas locations is a big thing now for k dramas but I can't remember a single show that made the location filming look anywhere near as good as Encounter. It was like watching the most lovingly produced travel show ever. I actually want to visit Cuba now all because of this drama.

Clean with Passion for Now is just the spirited rom-com that I needed. So happy that Kim Yoo Jung is back on my screen and she is seriously killing it. She is one of the few actresses who can go from slapstick to heart-melting and back again and it all just feels so natural. I knew that I would end up spoiling myself on this show but even after reading about most of the highlights I still enjoyed it and laughed a ton when I finally got a chance to watch it.

Memories of the Alhambra was not what I expected. I didn't stay up to date on the promos for this show so while I knew it was going to be experimental, I didn't realize just how experimental it would be. I have to say that the first episode was up & down for me. I was into for the first twenty minutes then it lost me and as I was coming back around I was turned off by Hyun Bin's yelling and Park Shin Hye's crying. So I kind of mentally tuned out at that point. I'm not onboard with this, but it does have Hyun Bin, so that's enough for me to give it a couple more weeks to settle.

Children of Nobody is so good. I still don't know if Kim Sun Ah's character is losing her mind or not but there is definitely some kind of trauma in her backstory that we haven't been shown. I also have a nagging suspicion that all these coincidental deaths surrounding her may not be so coincidental but I don't want to write anymore about that in case I spoil it for someone who is thinking about checking the show out.

Mama Fairy is still weirdly, wonderful. I've been trying to fight it, but I have a terrible case of 2nd lead syndrome that will only end in heartbreak.

I also picked up SKY Castle while waiting for the big premier episodes to hit. It has such a makjang, soap opera feel to it that I was almost embarrassed to watch, but I was hooked after the first episode. These are all terrible people and I look forward to them meeting terrible ends but I just can't look away.

I have 6 more episodes to go on Love Alert.

Dropped

The Last Empress. I thought this would be an updated Goong but it is definitely not that. While Sky Castle is a deliciously catty soap satire this is just a mess and after two weeks I'm just not feeling it at all.

Thanks for the reviews! Gives me a good idea of the shows and helps me narrow down my choices.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
I've watched 3 episodes of Clean With Passion now and I like it. It's got a quirky vibe. It sits alongside Mama Fairy in terms of being outrageous but without the supernatural stuff. Both leads are doing a good job so far and I am especially impressed with Kim Yoo Jung. I had no idea she could be that funny as my only previous experience with her acting was in Love in the Moonlight / Moonlight Drawn by Clouds. It's a shame that it isn't available through normal channels in the USA but since a VIU basic account is free and VPN's can be used cheaply it's not that difficult to go and watch it if one wishes.

clyde_

Nov 2, 2017
So I watched the first 12 episodes of Healer. What a great fucking show. Also one where secondary characters I don't care about become so much more interesting later on. A great example of this is the 2nd lead from My Love from the Star. He's basically just some rich dude that's into the main chick and childhood friend, but once you see the moments with his brothers, he became the most interesting aspect of the entire story. The moments in flashbacks with his older brother that gives him the pen for example, and he hears the recording of their conversation is my favorite moment in that entire show. I have a lil sister, so those moments always fucking get me. And this was a character in the first half of the story, I didn't care for at all.

Anyways, I mention this because my two favorite scenes from Healer were both from episode 12 from what I've seen. The woman in the wheelchair entering their conversation, showing her reaction and then their conversation at the bedroom. Unlike the main theme music which I don't care for, that music that hits when she's talking feels like a motherly/family impact music that makes the scenes so much better. I re-watched those 2 scenes many times. She's also the best actor in the entire show. I notice there are a lot of tragic characters in this show. I will be really pissed if the reporter kim moon ho somehow ends up dying at the end of the show, even though I see some red flags with him... Either he or (and?) teacher will get it. But him in particular is different since he's been so successful and lived a miserable life this entire time out of guilt, and he didn't do anything wrong! I'm annoyed as fuck that Healer doesn't see his perspective, but I also understand knowing his past. It's all frustrating...

Healer is so good.
It isn't as good as Healer imo, but based on your comment, I bet you would enjoy While You Were Sleeping. I find it strange that no one talks about it. It was better than average the whole way through!

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Healer is so good.
It isn't as good as Healer imo, but based on your comment, I bet you would enjoy While You Were Sleeping. I find it strange that no one talks about it. It was better than average the whole way through!
I'll be honest, I didn't care for While You Were Sleeping and I think it's mostly down to the two main leads. I've liked them in other things but in that show I just never clicked with them. I know it is a popular show though.

Watched Encounter episode 3 last night. Still amazing but much less romantic, beautiful and warm than the initial episodes. It's unfortunate but I guess we had to get back to the real world at some point, right? I have a feeling that this show could be a heart-breaker.

clyde_

Nov 2, 2017
I'll be honest, I didn't care for While You Were Sleeping and I think it's mostly down to the two main leads. I've liked them in other things but in that show I just never clicked with them. I know it is a popular show though.

I didn't care for the romance, but I thought the story was super intriguing. The reason I recommended it just now was because there are so many fun periphery characters. I love watching Suzy interact with her mom and the office workers had a lot of stuff going on that complemented the main story by being relevant.

---
Also of note: Now on Episode 9 of Bromance and it continues to be fun. I keep thinking about how much better it would be if the main character was a cis guy instead of a woman forced to be a guy temporarily (which seems kinda problematic imo).

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
wow, I have basically the complete opposite thoughts on Encounter. I'm really enjoying the story. Looking forward to tonight's episode.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
wow, I have basically the complete opposite thoughts on Encounter. I'm really enjoying the story. Looking forward to tonight's episode.
I think it was probably 100% a negative reaction to the horrible mother-in-law and biological mother. Powerful parents trying to control CEO child has pretty much been done to death at this point. And lets be honest, that first episode was sooo good that anything less than rainbows and unicorns was going to be sort of a step down. But yeah, I'm not going anywhere either.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Oh wow. The end of episode 4 of Encounter nearly did me in. I sort of forgot to breathe for a couple of minutes and then couldn't stop smiling for several minutes after that. What a scene!

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
What's your 2018 movie recs now that the year is ending ? Obviously I'm a huge fan of Burning but I also kinda liked Illang (despite being a disappointment considering the source material) and Believer

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
I think it was probably 100% a negative reaction to the horrible mother-in-law and biological mother. Powerful parents trying to control CEO child has pretty much been done to death at this point. And lets be honest, that first episode was sooo good that anything less than rainbows and unicorns was going to be sort of a step down. But yeah, I'm not going anywhere either.

I'm willing to forgive the horrible mother in law/mother trope since we have a rare older, wealthy woman/younger not wealthy man story.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished The Smile Has Left Your Eyes.

Holy shit.

This is one of the darkest Korean dramas I have ever seen. It's a remake of the J-drama but I haven't seen the original. In short, it has everything. Tons of drama, romance, twists, the lot. A flawed, broken male lead that goes against the average perfect male lead in every kdrama ever which is really refreshing. A great performance by Seo In Gook, I think this was the first drama I've seen starring him. The female lead is played by Jung So Min, who I think is amazing in everything she's in but this was definitely her standout performance. I can't wait to see her try to top this one. There are some really, REALLY dark themes that you will raise your eyebrows over but I don't want to spoil anything. I've watched a lot of melodramas but this one is probably the darkest one I've seen yet. All I will say is... buckle up, it's quite the ride.

Last edited:

doagrl

Nov 1, 2017
USA
The unplanned midweek holiday caused some disruption in my normal after work drama watching so I'm behind on a few of my dramas.

Watching

Encounter is still very good but I feel like the writer is rushing the story a bit, we are already at maximum angst level and it's just the 4th episode. I think we should have gotten at least eight (maybe 10) episodes of the feel-good romantic build-up before the press outed the couple and the crushing heartbreak set in. I really enjoyed Soo Hyun not completely wilting in the presence of her ex-MIL, and of course, I loved the last few minutes of episode 4 because of Jin Hyuk's brave and chivalrous move. But at the same time my brain is wondering where do we go from here? I'm as invested now as I was in the first week but I really hope that we aren't stuck with crazy mama drama for the next 12 episodes.

Children of Nobody is fantastic. It really is the best show that I am watching and I hope that everyone gives it a try because there is just nothing else like it on right now. I just don't know what's going on with our leading lady. I have some troubling suspicions about where they may be going with her and I hope I'm wrong but I just can't shake my feelings that all these dead people around her are not a coincidence. I can't say more because it's too spoilery but the episodes are really staying with me after I watch and I've pretty much psycho-analyzed every character in the show at this point. It's the highlight of my drama week.

Clean with Passion & Mama Fairy are my cuteness shows that I didn't have time for this week. I did catch the third episode of Clean which ended on a big WTF moment so I'm waiting to see the fallout from that when I catch up this week.

Love Alert is just gone from my schedule completely at this point. I was only pushing myself to weekly watch this for YEH but now that I have fallen behind a week I think it's best if I just wait until it finishes up and binge the rest over a weekend.

Sky Castle! I was wrong these are not all bad people. Some are, no doubt, but most are just really misguided and I just don't know how this show flew so far under my radar. It's ridiculously soapy and I already spoiled myself on something coming up that is going to turn that soapy dial up to 11. I can't wait.

Memories of the Alhambra is a show that I am not really enjoying for the plot or the characters. I am simply watching it because it's super pretty. Hyun Bin & Park Shin Hye are pretty (her acting isn't, but I'll let that pass), the cinematography is pretty, they've obviously spent a ton of money on it which all shows up on the screen and I'm watching the episodes late on weekend nights so I can kind of rest my brain and just enjoy the prettiness of it all. I don't know how long I will last with this show but for now it does just enough to keep me tuning in.

Next Up

This week I'm going to add My Strange Hero (Yoo Seung Ho) which premieres later today and Just Dance which started last week and I planned to watch but couldn't.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
The unplanned midweek holiday caused some disruption in my normal after work drama watching so I'm behind on a few of my dramas.

Watching

Encounter is still very good but I feel like the writer is rushing the story a bit, we are already at maximum angst level and it's just the 4th episode. I think we should have gotten at least eight (maybe 10) episodes of the feel-good romantic build-up before the press outed the couple and the crushing heartbreak set in. I really enjoyed Soo Hyun not completely wilting in the presence of her ex-MIL, and of course, I loved the last few minutes of episode 4 because of Jin Hyuk's brave and chivalrous move. But at the same time my brain is wondering where do we go from here? I'm as invested now as I was in the first week but I really hope that we aren't stuck with crazy mama drama for the next 12 episodes.

Children of Nobody is fantastic. It really is the best show that I am watching and I hope that everyone gives it a try because there is just nothing else like it on right now. I just don't know what's going on with our leading lady. I have some troubling suspicions about where they may be going with her and I hope I'm wrong but I just can't shake my feelings that all these dead people around her are not a coincidence. I can't say more because it's too spoilery but the episodes are really staying with me after I watch and I've pretty much psycho-analyzed every character in the show at this point. It's the highlight of my drama week.

Clean with Passion & Mama Fairy are my cuteness shows that I didn't have time for this week. I did catch the third episode of Clean which ended on a big WTF moment so I'm waiting to see the fallout from that when I catch up this week.

Love Alert is just gone from my schedule completely at this point. I was only pushing myself to weekly watch this for YEH but now that I have fallen behind a week I think it's best if I just wait until it finishes up and binge the rest over a weekend.

Sky Castle! I was wrong these are not all bad people. Some are, no doubt, but most are just really misguided and I just don't know how this show flew so far under my radar. It's ridiculously soapy and I already spoiled myself on something coming up that is going to turn that soapy dial up to 11. I can't wait.

Memories of the Alhambra is a show that I am not really enjoying for the plot or the characters. I am simply watching it because it's super pretty. Hyun Bin & Park Shin Hye are pretty (her acting isn't, but I'll let that pass), the cinematography is pretty, they've obviously spent a ton of money on it which all shows up on the screen and I'm watching the episodes late on weekend nights so I can kind of rest my brain and just enjoy the prettiness of it all. I don't know how long I will last with this show but for now it does just enough to keep me tuning in.

Next Up

This week I'm going to add My Strange Hero (Yoo Seung Ho) which premieres later today and Just Dance which started last week and I planned to watch but couldn't.

Great update. It's always interesting to see what other folks are watching and enjoying. I agree with pretty much all of your thoughts on the dramas that I have seen and you make me want to watch Children of Nobody so I will definitely put that one on my list.

On to the one I finished this weekend: Where Stars Land. This was a weird show. On the one hand you have (mostly) excellent actors and acting and a unique premise (the whole thing takes place in an around Incheon Airport) but on the other hand the story and some of the writing is just not good. You have plot lines that go nowhere, completely unresolved conflicts, important details that feel like they are skipped or left out and an ending scene that never shows the lead actors face (only his back) which makes me think they had to have a stand-in for Chae Soo Bin (the cutie from I Am Not A Robot) to hug.

I can't say I feel like the show was a waste of my time as there were some genuinely good moments and characters (the security guard couple is just the best and the cutest) but neither do I feel particularly satisfied or even sad that I finished it. I feel genuinely bad for Chae Soo Bin, Lee Je Hoon (the two leads) and the other actors who did a good job with some questionable material.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017

Holy shit.

This is one of the darkest Korean dramas I have ever seen. It's a remake of the J-drama of the same name but I haven't seen the original. In short, it has everything. Tons of drama, romance, twists, the lot. A flawed, broken male lead that goes against the average perfect male lead in every kdrama ever which is really refreshing. A great performance by Seo In Gook, I think this was the first drama I've seen starring him. The female lead is played by Jung So Min, who I think is amazing in everything she's in but this was definitely her standout performance. I can't wait to see her try to top this one. There are some really, REALLY dark themes that you will raise your eyebrows over but I don't want to spoil anything. I've watched a lot of melodramas but this one is probably the darkest one I've seen yet. All I will say is... buckle up, it's quite the ride.

Yeah, this was a fantastic show. Very dark but so, so good!

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So brehs (I feel like all the people here are guys somehow, which is weird because it's all romantic shows lol)..

I finished Healer.

giphy.gif

Fantastic show. My two iconic scenes are still with the mother from episode 12.

I stopped watching She was Pretty since it had 3-4 eps and just finished this over the last 2? or so weeks. Will get back to finish it. I watched it because the guy is Secretary Kim and Fight my Way (two amazing shows). This one is real good but not as good as those two. Fight my Way is one of the best kdramas.

Also still watching Love Alert (or Fluttering Warning, don't know why it has 2 titles...). The dad and esp the lady that wants to marry the main guy is fucking psychotic. Someone needs to send her to a mental institution. I hope they don't try to make her likeable later on. She's just a reprehensible human being. Damn, I hate her! I hate his dad as well, and his obnoxious plastic surgery makes it even worse. Damn these two piss me off. I feel bad for the actor guy that likes the main lead, but I was creeped out a bit that he lied for sooooo long.....

I started watching Encounter just because of era. 2 episodes in, really, really fun so far. I already hate her mom, and the ex's mom. Love the main dude's friends and their interaction. The secretary is the goat, she's so fucking funny! The way she switches from formal to informal is incredible, and I love how the main lead is so petty towards her. "You want me to speak my mind" "No."
giphy.gif

Healer is so good.
Nice, I'll add it on the list. I like shows that the main story is #1 and romance is #2. Although there's exceptions obviously.

Holy shit.

This is one of the darkest Korean dramas I have ever seen. It's a remake of the J-drama but I haven't seen the original. In short, it has everything. Tons of drama, romance, twists, the lot. A flawed, broken male lead that goes against the average perfect male lead in every kdrama ever which is really refreshing. A great performance by Seo In Gook, I think this was the first drama I've seen starring him. The female lead is played by Jung So Min, who I think is amazing in everything she's in but this was definitely her standout performance. I can't wait to see her try to top this one. There are some really, REALLY dark themes that you will raise your eyebrows over but I don't want to spoil anything. I've watched a lot of melodramas but this one is probably the darkest one I've seen yet. All I will say is... buckle up, it's quite the ride.
Yeah, this was a fantastic show. Very dark but so, so good!
Very dark is what I want. Maybe I will check it out. :o Maybe I will start this
What's your 2018 movie recs now that the year is ending ? Obviously I'm a huge fan of Burning but I also kinda liked Illang (despite being a disappointment considering the source material) and Believer
Lawless Lawyer for me. First 6 episodes is the best kdrama I have seen other than kid Nathan Drake, but then it stumbles a bit for the 2/3rd of the series but still great. Also What's wrong with Secretary Kim.

Last edited:

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
Dragoon, I've found that a number of kdramas have 2 titles. I think one is the literal translation and one is the English version. For example Encounter is also called Boyfriend, which is the literal translation. I don't know why they change the names sometimes, especially when the literal translation would work.

I'm still watching Mama Fairy but I am getting a little bored with it. Not dropping it though.

Encounter is great. I'm not entirely sure where they are going with it since they seem to be burning through a lot of story quickly.

I think I'm going to start The Smile Has Left Your Eyes this week. Has Bad Detective started? Curious to see what they do with Luther.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Very dark is what I want. Maybe I will check it out. :o Maybe I will start this
If you want dark you may want to check out Children of Nobody as well. I watched the first episode today at lunch on doagrl's recommendation and it was pretty darn dark. It has either a ghost (or someone suffering a psychotic break, not sure yet) a child death and a burned corpse within the first 30 minutes as well as alluding to past mental breakdown and possibly adultery. It's heavy but I really liked what I saw and it feels very high quality.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Any recommendations for good romantic dramas without much, if any, comedy? Not in the mood for a rom-com atm and would prefer something more serious.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If you want dark you may want to check out Children of Nobody as well. I watched the first episode today at lunch on doagrl's recommendation and it was pretty darn dark. It has either a ghost (or someone suffering a psychotic break, not sure yet) a child death and a burned corpse within the first 30 minutes as well as alluding to past mental breakdown and possibly adultery. It's heavy but I really liked what I saw and it feels very high quality.
Just watched the first ep of The Smiles has Left Your Eyes.

DAMN.

Already into it. Can't tell if the main is the villain of the story or just because of hot it's framed in the first episode. But he's completely unpredictable and dark, thus much more interesting than most leads. I can't tell what's going to happen.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Just watched the first ep of The Smiles has Left Your Eyes.

DAMN.

Already into it. Can't tell if the main is the villain of the story or just because of hot it's framed in the first episode. But he's completely unpredictable and dark, thus much more interesting than most leads. I can't tell what's going to happen.

Buckle up.

Seriously.

Buckle. Up.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmmm. Off the top of my head:

W: Two Worlds
My Love From The Stars/You Who Came From the Stars
The K2 (though to be fair it's not strictly a romance)
Descendants of the Sun

I've seen those too :( Although I dropped Descendants of the Sun. Couldn't get into it which made me sad because Song Hye Kyo is great. Looking forward to checking out Encounter when there are more episodes.

1% of Something? It has some amusing / funny moments but overall it's solidly focused on the relationship.

I'll give this one a shot.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Watched 2 more episodes of Children of Nobody last night. I still don't really know what's going on but rarely has any show instilled in me such a feeling of dread so quickly. I have no idea what will actually happen but the sense of foreboding is powerful. Is there a murderous conspiracy? Is there a ghost or are we on the verge of some kind of psychotic breakdown? And what's up with the creepy poem about children being eaten appearing in several seemingly unconnected places? This show is going to keep me guessing and I am really digging it so far.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Had some work to do but binged the hell out of Your Smile Has Left Your Eyes, on episode 4. Based on the fact that of yall say it's fucked up and has some terribly dark themes.. I'm imagining myself of a potential scenario that is absolutely disgusting

- Ok.. so everything lines up to the main leads being brother and sister? I may have read a 2 sentence synopsis and remember brother and sister being written on top of hints heavily pushing towards it..

which brings me to..

- Is the guy willingly about to go have sex with his sister? He wants to date her. That is disgusting and lines up with the horrible themes you guys said (who watched it)

DON'T CONFIRM OR DENY.

So the "cop brother" killed their dad, made a mistake and fucked up somehow. He picked up the daughter as a guilt for 25 years and raised her. The older brother by 2 years got stuck back there and grew up resenting the cop for killing their dad? Also the chick that tried to kill his sister is being manipulated by the psychologist that knows the main character? That girl that tried to kill Yoo Jin I think killed the girl who comitted "suicide" in episode 1, and our lead Kim Moo helped clean up the mess due to his goat-tier memory. By the way, the rich boyfriend gives serial killer vibes and the guy is scary, will do some crazy shit in the future. I legit laughed out loud when he was talking to Kim Moo telling him that he should make a beer for a wedding ceremony, and he smiks back with zero fucks saying he'll do it. The man is a savage LOL. I even turned on comments to viki for the second time and everyone was saying the same thing. Noone seems to give a shit about Baek Seung. :( It's pretty fuck up to be honest.

I don't know what is happening and really love that aspect though. Most kdramas by now, you kind of know the roadblock, 2 leads that will kiss by episode 8, and get together by episode 11-12 out of 16. You already know what the problem will be that gets resolved end of ep15 or mid ep16. In this one, I feel like I don't know anything. Whose supposed to be with who, who killed who, who helped cover up who and why, what happened back then on just about every level, is the main good, bad, very dark grey, can the cop guy and chick hook up already they're amazing together, etc etc. This is me right now.

w3cG3QB.gif

tenor.gif

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Had some work to do but binged the hell out of Your Smile Has Left Your Eyes, on episode 4. Based on the fact that of yall say it's fucked up and has some terribly dark themes.. I'm imagining myself of a potential scenario that is absolutely disgusting

- Ok.. so everything lines up to the main leads being brother and sister? I may have read a 2 sentence synopsis and remember brother and sister being written on top of hints heavily pushing towards it..

which brings me to..

- Is the guy willingly about to go have sex with his sister? He wants to date her. That is disgusting and lines up with the horrible themes you guys said (who watched it)

DON'T CONFIRM OR DENY.

So the "cop brother" killed their dad, made a mistake and fucked up somehow. He picked up the daughter as a guilt for 25 years and raised her. The older brother by 2 years got stuck back there and grew up resenting the cop for killing their dad? Also the chick that tried to kill his sister is being manipulated by the psychologist that knows the main character? That girl that tried to kill Yoo Jin I think killed the girl who comitted "suicide" in episode 1, and our lead Kim Moo helped clean up the mess due to his goat-tier memory. By the way, the rich boyfriend gives serial killer vibes and the guy is scary, will do some crazy shit in the future. I legit laughed out loud when he was talking to Kim Moo telling him that he should make a beer for a wedding ceremony, and he smiks back with zero fucks saying he'll do it. The man is a savage LOL. I even turned on comments to viki for the second time and everyone was saying the same thing. Noone seems to give a shit about Baek Seung. :( It's pretty fuck up to be honest.

I don't know what is happening and really love that aspect though. Most kdramas by now, you kind of know the roadblock, 2 leads that will kiss by episode 8, and get together by episode 11-12 out of 16. You already know what the problem will be that gets resolved end of ep15 or mid ep16. In this one, I feel like I don't know anything. Whose supposed to be with who, who killed who, who helped cover up who and why, what happened back then on just about every level, is the main good, bad, very dark grey, can the cop guy and chick hook up already they're amazing together, etc etc. This is me right now.

w3cG3QB.gif

tenor.gif
I can neither confirm or deny your speculation but I will say the show will keep you guessing about certain things right up until the end. Enjoy the ride!

doagrl

Nov 1, 2017
USA
Watched 2 more episodes of Children of Nobody last night. I still don't really know what's going on but rarely has any show instilled in me such a feeling of dread so quickly. I have no idea what will actually happen but the sense of foreboding is powerful. Is there a murderous conspiracy? Is there a ghost or are we on the verge of some kind of psychotic breakdown? And what's up with the creepy poem about children being eaten appearing in several seemingly unconnected places? This show is going to keep me guessing and I am really digging it so far.

Those are the exact same questions that I had. I want to believe that there is a murderous conspiracy because the alternative theory is just too messed up. I also want to believe that there is a ghost because the alternative is that Woo Kyung is completely nuts & her asshole husband will take her daughter. Oh, there's just so much I want to say but I don't want to spoil the show for you. If you're on the third episode you have a few more to go before they start working together (I don't think that's a spoiler since it was kind of shown in the teaser) and that's when things start to really come together.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I wish I could watch The Smile Has Left Your Eyes all over again lol. I'm still thinking about it. It's one of those stories that stays with you.

So with that said, I'm gonna have to go with it being my Korean drama of the year and top 10 of all time.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I wish I could watch The Smile Has Left Your Eyes all over again lol. I'm still thinking about it. It's one of those stories that stays with you.

So with that said, I'm gonna have to go with it being my Korean drama of the year and top 10 of all time.
Watched 2 more eps last night, and I got to the car chase scene. . .

giphy.gif

What the fuck is going on? Did two major characters just die 1/3rd of the way into the story? Did he plan for the rich guy to hit them? Or set up a way to get him sent to jail for drinking and driving? And it just happened to go differently?

Sending him the wine with the note, and pouring the whine while the rich guy was giving the speech was incredible though. The main character is a savage, and I love it.

Also still don't know if they're siblings so when they kiss, I don't know if I should be grossed out or not.. on top of that, I still don't think the main character is a good person and someone she should be with. It feels like he has no emotions at times.

Also, I knew Yoo-ri is the one that killed her (she's left handed), and he cleaned the mess. Unless, there's another plot twist in there. I still think the psychologist is involved in the murder somehow.

Lets forget all the WTF stuff, but I loved the scene with the two detectives eating and her acting jelous in regards to the young Yoo-ri lol.. he calls her cute, and she leaves calling the food salty. I was dying when she ignored him during lunch and then talk with the door opening/closing. Nice to have a sweet moment like that throughout this kind of tom foolery.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Encounter episode 5 was sooooooo sweet. There's so much that is strong about this particular show that I could gush for several paragraphs but yeah, it's easily my number one drama right now. The way that certain shots are framed (almost like pictures or portraits within the film) and edited is pretty masterful and, as a guy who is pretty picky about his music, I have to say the OST is on point thus far.

Park Bo Gum and Song Hye Kyo are both such beautiful people that they are easy to watch and their efforts thus far have been extremely good but even the supporting actors here seem very strong thus far. I particularly like both SHK's female secretary and her male driver.

Last edited:

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I'm really struggling to find a completed series to get into. Just Between Lovers isn't doing anything for me. :'(

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Finished episode 10 of The Smiles Has Left Your Eyes. I have only 1 gif to think of what may be happening.

ba68505864f14f8fb9332ecc7fbfea80.gif

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Children of Nobody.....woah. Up through episode 11 now which is kind of sad because it means that I have almost caught up and will be waiting on the weekly releases. For anyone who's a fan of Mystery/Thrillers you must watch this show. It's dark, it's disturbing, it's moody and it is, thus far, so fantastically executed.

I would say in terms of overall execution it is up there with The Smile Has Left Your Eyes only without the stand-out amazing characters of that show. That show was very character focused whereas this one is more story focused so it isn't exactly a fair comparison except that they are both fantastic.

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still really enjoying Encounter and remain surprised that there's been some negativity around it. So far it's been really sweet.I like the fact that her ex husband is not a jerk. In fact he seems to be entirely on her side and in love with her.

The secretary and the driver are great. I also like the fact that the best friend of Jin Hyeok, is supportive of him, even though she's against the relationship.

I watched the first episode of Less Than Evil. I'm a bit on the fence with it for now. My memory of Luther is a bit rusty but I think it's following some of the same plot. I'll watch a few more episodes to decide.