• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Started up The Ghost Detectives the other day and, I have to say, I am really digging it. It's creepy and suspenseful and the acting thus far has been extremely good by the leads. It's a lot darker in tone than I was expecting and deals in some pretty heavy subject matter in terms of the nature of evil, the occult, ghosts and possession and I would not recommend it if you are squeamish. But, if you like serious ghost stories once in a while then this may scratch your itch. (But you probably shouldn't watch it at night, in the dark, while home alone. Just sayin...)

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Ok Kdrama fans, recommend me something light, funny and happy. I just got to the sniffly/sad part of Secret Garden (which has been great thus far, btw) and having just finished Mr Sunshine I am in real need of some lighter fare. What have you got for me?

Fight For My Way is pretty good.

Tekniqs

Oct 26, 2017
Been watching a lot more Korean dramas as I get into them, but nothing is anywhere as good It's Ok, I love you.. which is now one of my favorite shows of all time. I love how real all the characters are, and they never make dumb decisions for the sake of story progression rather because it's within their character traits, which I see happening far too often in other shows. Love how the story is also constantly progressing and the little moments. Is there any shows as good as this?

It's okay, that's love? the one with Jo In Sung and Gong Hyo Jin? That series is dope! Love me some Hyo Jin. She's such a good actress

Just finished Secret Garden.

soundtrack is godlike

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Went to the Korean Film Festival in Paris but only managed to watch two movies. The Great Battle was a decent blockbuster movie, I think still much better than Hollywood movies of the same type but that was to be expected. It's based on the real history of a man branded as a traitor who remained behind to defend a fortress. The production value was high and they put a lot of emphasis on music but god that was deafening after a while.

I also watched 1987 When The Day Comes on the big screen and I still cried my eyeballs out despite already watching it before. Truly one of the better effort when it comes to mainstream productions, it actually reminded me of the New Korean Cinema wave, but that was to be expected of the immensely talented Jang Joon-hwan

I watched Believer a few weeks ago, it was a decent movie, albeit a little overwrought. It was great for one scene where the detective impersonated a chinese drug lord who is absolutely off his rockers in order to receive information about another drug lord. It's good for two things : Cho Jin-woong gets a lead role for once, despite being massively popular with his role on the TV show Signal, and also it was the last role of Kim Joo-hyuk before his fatal car accident and it was a fantastic role. RIP, he will be dearly missed.

I'm going to watch Burning pretty soon, can't wait to have a go at it considering it's made by my favorite filmmaker in the world. Heard reviews are excellent, but I wasn't expecting any less.

doagrl

Nov 1, 2017
USA
I've been in a state of end of drama depression since the last episode of The Guest. It was definitely not perfect and a few times during the last 3-4 episodes I literally said WTF to my tv, but I really liked it. I highly recommend it but only if you are okay with super bleak and horrific entertainment for 16 episodes. There is talk of a season 2 but I'm not sure if I would be on board with that I think it ended well and hopefully they will let it rest.

I'm still on The Smile Has Left Your Eyes train and enjoying it, I'm starting Mama Fairy & the Woodcutter today and now that it has finished I plan on binging 100 Days My Prince over the upcoming long weekend. But Love Alert, the drama that I have been waiting for premiered on Halloween and I'm sorry to say it's not good. It's Yoon Eun Hye's drama comeback and I wanted to love it but I just can't get into at all right now. I knew going in that it was low-budget and that the male lead has all of the charisma of a tree stump but I had to watch it because I've missed YEH on my screen for too long.

I can overlook the low rent sets, spotty direction and Mr. Wood (I'm sorry if Chun Jung Myung is anyone's fave actor here but he has just never resonated with me) but the writing is just horrible. I read a couple of tweets about it that basically said the story was super old-fashioned but it's not just old fashioned, it's bad. The contract relationship trope has been done to death but if done well it can be funny and heart-warming but here it's just poorly written, it feels like someone has pulled story ideas from half a dozen different old dramas and cobbled them together with no wit, no feeling & no charm. The words seem hollow coming out of the actors' mouths (& overall this is not a bad cast) and there is just nothing there to keep a person coming back.

I don't feel for any of the characters in fact I don't even like most of the characters which should be Drama 101 for any writer setting up the first two episodes of a show. I don't know, this is coming off like a rant but it's just so disappointing. I normally don't rant about bad dramas since I just drop them and move on but no matter how dull this show is I'm going to end up watching it to the end because she's my favorite actress and who knows when I will get a chance to see her again after this one.

Just finished Secret Garden. Wow, what a ride! 20 episodes in 6 days is about the max that I could manage with my schedule but I am so glad that I did. I could probably write a rather lengthy essay on why I liked it and what I thought it did well but I won't torture anyone here with that. What I will say is that even though it gave me troublesome flashbacks to Boys over Flowers in the beginning it completely erased and exceeded that show by several light years by the end.

And what a cast! Even though I wasn't terribly familiar with Hyun Bin or Ha Ji Won I certainly recognized and smiled at Lee Jong Suk (While You Were Sleeping, I Can Hear Your Voice) Kim Sung Oh (Hwayugi, Fight My Way and many others) and a very young and adorable Yoo In Na (Goblin The Great and Lonely God). And then the cameo of Son Ye Jin (Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food and lots of movies) at the end with Phillip Lee was just straight up fan service of the best kind. She's aged so beautifully and continues to have a stellar career.

Anyway, it is just a really sweet and heartwarming show and I can completely understand why it is on so many "best of" lists in Kdrama world. Highly recommended for anyone who hasn't seen it!

So glad that you liked it! Secret Garden is my favorite drama and it's just so, so good. Now that it has been confirmed that I will have time off next month I may put it on the list for a re-watch.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
I've been in a state of end of drama depression since the last episode of The Guest. It was definitely not perfect and a few times during the last 3-4 episodes I literally said WTF to my tv, but I really liked it. I highly recommend it but only if you are okay with super bleak and horrific entertainment for 16 episodes. There is talk of a season 2 but I'm not sure if I would be on board with that I think it ended well and hopefully they will let it rest.

I'm still on The Smile Has Left Your Eyes train and enjoying it, I'm starting Mama Fairy & the Woodcutter today and now that it has finished I plan on binging 100 Days My Prince over the upcoming long weekend. But Love Alert, the drama that I have been waiting for premiered on Halloween and I'm sorry to say it's not good. It's Yoon Eun Hye's drama comeback and I wanted to love it but I just can't get into at all right now. I knew going in that it was low-budget and that the male lead has all of the charisma of a tree stump but I had to watch it because I've missed YEH on my screen for too long.

I can overlook the low rent sets, spotty direction and Mr. Wood (I'm sorry if Chun Jung Myung is anyone's fave actor here but he has just never resonated with me) but the writing is just horrible. I read a couple of tweets about it that basically said the story was super old-fashioned but it's not just old fashioned, it's bad. The contract relationship trope has been done to death but if done well it can be funny and heart-warming but here it's just poorly written, it feels like someone has pulled story ideas from half a dozen different old dramas and cobbled them together with no wit, no feeling & no charm. The words seem hollow coming out of the actors' mouths (& overall this is not a bad cast) and there is just nothing there to keep a person coming back.

I don't feel for any of the characters in fact I don't even like most of the characters which should be Drama 101 for any writer setting up the first two episodes of a show. I don't know, this is coming off like a rant but it's just so disappointing. I normally don't rant about bad dramas since I just drop them and move on but no matter how dull this show is I'm going to end up watching it to the end because she's my favorite actress and who knows when I will get a chance to see her again after this one.

So glad that you liked it! Secret Garden is my favorite drama and it's just so, so good. Now that it has been confirmed that I will have time off next month I may put it on the list for a re-watch.

I have to ask, where are you watching Mama Fairy and the Woodcutter? Feel free to PM me if you would rather. I would really like to watch that one based on what I have seen from the synopsis! Edit - Doh, found it on Viki. My bad. I really need to do a better job of noticing new offerings as they are available!

I also watched the first two episodes of Love Alert, pretty much for the same reason as you, and even though I agree with everything you said I still found myself enjoying most of those first 2 episodes. Maybe I'm just really happy to see YEH acting again but I will stick with it. I actually enjoyed a couple of YEH and CJM's quiet moments together and I think there might be something worthwhile to build on.

Last edited:

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
just dropping by to recommend the best k-drama i've ever seen - Tree With Deep Roots.

It can get melodramatic, though, towards the end. :)

I feel like the quality of k-dramas has risen dramatically post 2010. They really upped their thriller offerings. Then again, I also feel like everyone is making an action/thriller/suspense drama. We actually have less and less romcoms. A lot of slice-of-life dramas which is such a nice genre to have.

I am thinking of watching My Ahjussi.

doagrl

Nov 1, 2017
USA
I have to ask, where are you watching Mama Fairy and the Woodcutter? Feel free to PM me if you would rather. I would really like to watch that one based on what I have seen from the synopsis! Edit - Doh, found it on Viki. My bad. I really need to do a better job of noticing new offerings as they are available!

I also watched the first two episodes of Love Alert, pretty much for the same reason as you, and even though I agree with everything you said I still found myself enjoying most of those first 2 episodes. Maybe I'm just really happy to see YEH acting again but I will stick with it. I actually enjoyed a couple of YEH and CJM's quiet moments together and I think there might be something worthwhile to build on.

Yeah Viki is the place for Mama Fairy. I've been following the news on that one for a while and it looks good. Interestingly, everything I'm watching right now is on Viki that is quite a change from this time last year. I guess this will be the new normal with DramaFever going down.

I want to have hope about Love Alert because I've been looking forward to it for so long. I'm going to stick with it and will look for those small moments like you said that will make it worthwhile. I mean I watched Radio Romance from the beginning to the very end (& learned to love it) for Kim So Hyun so I can stick with Love Alert for YEH.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
I did pick up a sub to Kocowa just for the few things that they get that Viki doesn't. Terrius Behind Me (My Secret, Terrius) is on Kocowa and they just added a beta Roku app, which is a plus for me since that is primarily how I watch shows with my wife.

Catching up with The Smile Has Left Your Eyes, that duet sung by Jung So Min and Seo In Guk is just so sweet. I had no idea they were actually part of the OST but they sound really, really good together. In terms of acting, writing and "feel" is has to be one of the best shows I have seen this year.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Love Alert is really good, the male lead is really strong

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Love Alert is really good, the male lead is really strong
I didn't mind him in the first two episodes (haven't watched the 3rd yet - I will today) as he seems to fall into the stoic, stern talking but ultimately good-hearted male lead that is fairly common. YEH tells him in the 2nd episode that she thinks he has "kind eyes" and I agree with that from what I have seen so far.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't mind him in the first two episodes (haven't watched the 3rd yet - I will today) as he seems to fall into the stoic, stern talking but ultimately good-hearted male lead that is fairly common. YEH tells him in the 2nd episode that she thinks he has "kind eyes" and I agree with that from what I have seen so far.
I like that he isn't an ass with a heart of gold that grows(way too common in kdramas). He is a good dude that won't be pushed around. Big difference between the two

less

Oct 25, 2017
I'll give Love Alert a watch. Have finished watching everything else that interested me or at least put some of them on hold for now.

Not the first of this type of drama, I have fond memories of Full House, but it has been a while since I've seen a similar one.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Currently watching:
Love Alert - It's low budget and somewhat by the numbers but Yoon Eun Hae pretty much makes it worth the watch for me.
Mama Fairy and the Woodcutter - Silly but cute and much more funny than I expected. This will be an entertaining watch, I can tell.
The Smile Has Left Your Eyes - "wow" tier drama. Extremely well acted by the leads (Jung So Min and Seo In Guk are amazing and I am a little bit in awe of them after some of their scenes together the last couple of episodes) and has some great music.
Healer (for the second time) - I'm slowly getting my wife into my Kdrama world and Healer is one of my favorites. Great leads, fun story and a great soundtrack. Watching it the second time I realize much of what makes it compelling is the way the story is told. You pretty much get the "what" right out of the gate but then the "why" and the "how" are filled in as you go. Also, Park Min Young and Ji Chang Wook have so much charisma and appeal.
Reply 1997 - Going back and filling in on some of those older shows that are still well-regarded. Extremely funny show and feels a lot more realistic and grounded than most other shows that I have watched. I reckon I will have a lot more to say about this one once I finish it but how is it that Seo In Guk looks exactly the same in this show as he does in The Smile Has Left Your Eyes? Does the man not age? =)
Terrius Behind Me - If it's a So Ji Sub drama then I am there. Started watching this right before Dramafever went down and just picked it back up on Kocowa's service as something for my wife and I to watch together. Only a couple of episodes in but I know I like it and she seems to be enjoying it also. Seems to have a good mix of cute, funny and serious.

Edit - Ghost Detective - completely forgot to mention this one first time around. Creepy, dark and intense and very different from my usual more light-hearted choices. Another drama with great sound design. I'm nearing the end and I've developed a little fatigue with Daniel Choi's character but otherwise I really like this one.

Last edited:

doagrl

Nov 1, 2017
USA
I took advantage of the long weekend to binge watch 100 Days My Prince. I kept thinking that the show didn't seem to know what it wanted to be; one minute it was a super silly, fish out of water rom-com then the next a deadly serious sageuk with plots and back-stabbings (& literal stabbings) all over the place. And, I loved it! I loved the cute, romantic hi-jinks with the classic tsundere male lead and the badly planned palace intrigue and everything in between. I even loved the noble idiocy at the end which would normally make my head hurt.

I wanted to watch this mostly for Nam Ji Hyun who is always great but I was caught off guard by her male lead. I admit that I sometimes look down on "idol actors" and since this was my first time watching D.O. in anything I kept my expectations in check but he was amazing. The entire cast was wonderful and kept me heavily invested in watching every second of the show. Highly recommended!

I'm still watching & loving The Smile Has Left Your Eyes and preparing myself for the tears that will flow in two weeks once it ends. I'm also loving Mama Fairy & the Woodcutter because it's just too cute and fluffy! And I'm still watching Love Alert. I'm really happy for YEH that the ratings are holding up so well. I hope this means that we will get to see her in more dramas soon.

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that I was in a calm period before the storm and I'm super excited to say that the storm is about to hit. The next three months are going to be insane: The Last Empress (Jang Na Ra), Clean with Passion Now (Kim Yoo Jung!!!), Encounter (Song Hye Kyo & Park Bo Gum), Memories of Alhambra (Hyun Bin!! & Park Shin Hye), Revenge is Back (Yoo Seung Ho), Reach of Sincerity (Yoo In Na, Lee Dong Wook & one of my fave directors Park Joon Hwa) and Netflix' zombie/sageuk mashup Kingdom (surprisingly being written by the writer of Signal) are all debuting between November and January. I also plan to binge The Beauty Inside and The Third Charm during Thanksgiving then Mr. Sunshine & Life during Christmas. I guess rest & sleep will be a distant memory until March.

Reply 1997 - Going back and filling in on some of those older shows that are still well-regarded. Extremely funny show and feels a lot more realistic and grounded than most other shows that I have watched. I reckon I will have a lot more to say about this one once I finish it but how is it that Seo In Guk looks exactly the same in this show as he does in The Smile Has Left Your Eyes? Does the man not age? =)

This was my favorite Reply until '88 hit and the only one that I've watched multiple times. If you are on a Seo In Guk binge can I recommend Shopping King Louie and High School King of Savvy if you haven't already watched them.

I feel like the quality of k-dramas has risen dramatically post 2010. They really upped their thriller offerings. Then again, I also feel like everyone is making an action/thriller/suspense drama. We actually have less and less romcoms. A lot of slice-of-life dramas which is such a nice genre to have.

I am thinking of watching My Ahjussi.

Please watch it because it is fantastic. 2018 has been a ridiculously strong drama year & I really feel like My Ahjussi is the best of the best.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Seo In Guk and Jung So Min are killing it right now in The Smile Has Left Your Eyes. I just finished episode 12 and what they are displaying goes beyond chemistry and completely into natural, comfortable and "right" They just look like a couple in love who are completely comfortable with one another and the cuteness factor is off the charts which is something I never expected in such an intense drama. Some of their scenes I just want to give a standing ovation to because they are so well done.

Edit - One of the shows I had on my Dramafever que was 100 Days My Prince. I need to add it back now somewhere else. I've heard good so many good things about it.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Park Min Young was extremely cute in Healer and I really enjoyed her acting along side JCW. Great K-Drama couple. I also enjoyed her alongside Park Seo Joon in "What's Wrong With Secretary Kim", especially in the latter half of that series. She's a looker, for sure.
Yeh, Secretary Kim was fun. Either those are really good actors, but they had by far the best chemistry I've seen in any of the dramas. It looked completely real. I also liked that they resolved issues within 1-2 eps instead of 5-half a season.

But yes, she's gorgeous. Watching I'm Not a Robot, and I can say the same for the lead there as well.

It's okay, that's love? the one with Jo In Sung and Gong Hyo Jin? That series is dope! Love me some Hyo Jin. She's such a good actress

soundtrack is godlike
yes, I butchered the name :S

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Saw on my Google feed this morning that Netflix has picked up Memories of the Alhambra and new episodes will be up 1 hour after broadcast starting December 1. I'm really looking forward to this one as it two leads I really like (Hyun Bin and Park Shin Hye) and the story sounds like it could be cool.

Currently watching Mama Fairy and it's not quite what I expected but I like it so far.
It is a goofy show but I have actually laughed out loud a couple of times and I appreciate the fact that it is light-hearted and isn't afraid to be ridiculous.

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
Saw on my Google feed this morning that Netflix has picked up Memories of the Alhambra and new episodes will be up 1 hour after broadcast starting December 1. I'm really looking forward to this one as it two leads I really like (Hyun Bin and Park Shin Hye) and the story sounds like it could be cool.

It is a goofy show but I have actually laughed out loud a couple of times and I appreciate the fact that it is light-hearted and isn't afraid to be ridiculous.

Oh Netflix has Memories of Alhambra? AND they are actually putting episodes up shorty after it airs (they don't always do this). Looking forward to this as I really like Park Shin Hye.

I wasn't expecting to have Mama Fairy be quite so ridiculous but I agree. I'm not quite so fond of the present time Woodcutter though.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Yep, Netflix has been grabbing the top tier TvN stuff from Korea lately. Mr Sunshine was their last TvN offering and I guess they have been pleased with the performance of these shows as they are continuing to pick them up. Now I just need to know where "Encounter" and "Clean With Passion, For Now" are going to air as they are my other two shows that I am most looking forward to from the upcoming crop.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Fight My Way is amazing. I can't believe how fucking funny it is and the leads are awesome (dude from Secretary Kim is an amazing actor). Seriously love this show. Will be sad when I finish it. :'(

If the blond haired guy doesn't get waxed badly by the end of the series, I will rage. Will rage even more if there's a set up for him to let that twat win as well. This show might be legit the funniest show in the entire series. I do feel the main is being a dumbass for not admitting what he thinks, but other than that no flaws yet 6 eps in.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
I looooove Fight My Way. Definitely one of my favorites and one of the series that made me a fan of Park Seo Joon and Kim Ji Won. I watched it concurrently with Secretary Kim earlier in the year and PSJ was fun to watch in both series.

I'm just about finished with Ghost Detective and will talk more about it once I have wrapped it up but for now, Where Stars Land is going to take its place. I started to watch it mainly for Chae Soo Bin (the actress from I am Not a Robot) and while the first couple of episodes felt a little bit rough it has gotten better the further I have gotten in to it. I didn't think it was really possible to care about the everyday happenings of an airport but this show is doing a good job of making me care about the characters and their lives.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Have you watched "I am Not a Robot"? The male lead in that is far from perfect (although he is a rich guy / chaebol type) and the show itself is very good.
Other than his "issue", he is perfect though lol.. There's a definitely super millionaire that is charismatic, super smart, will do anything for the woman, etc etc. I've just started to watch these series, but there are way too many of these guys. They are way too unrealistic but the shows are still fun (I am not a Robot is a great show for example regardless). Witch's Love has the rich guy, but he didn't feel too perfect which was good. Curious if they flip the script with the woman being super rich instead of the guy.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Just watched Ep 5 of Mama Fairy and the Woodcutter. All I have to say is "Butterfly Eelworm", lol. What a crazy show, but I like it!

less

Oct 25, 2017
Watched a few episodes of The Smile Has Left Your Eyes. I like it. The two leads are pretty great and the entire situation revolving around the murder is fantastic stuff.

I'm not sure how it might hold up in the future episodes but I have some very high hopes for it.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Watched a few episodes of The Smile Has Left Your Eyes. I like it. The two leads are pretty great and the entire situation revolving around the murder is fantastic stuff.

I'm not sure how it might hold up in the future episodes but I have some very high hopes for it.
It stays fantastic. Only 2 episodes left and the entire series has been very high quality. If Seo In Guk doesn't win some kind of acting award for his performance as Kim Moo Young then I will be shocked.

roosters93

Oct 25, 2017
The Smile Has Left Your Eyes talk
the show is really weird. like even if he's not a murderer he's a total psychopath and unsympathetic character but is the main love interest and the hero?
this is having watched 13 episodes btw. kinda makes sense it would be a remake of a japanese drama but yeah don't know what they want us to feel for the characters

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
I want to watch The Smile Has Left Your Eyes. I'll probably start it soon.

Mama Fairy and the Woodcutter continues to be weird but charming.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
I'll read the spoiler once I am caught up. I should be able to watch the last two episodes this weekend.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
5 episodes into Lawless Lawyer and ..

giphy.gif

If it's this good for the rest of the way, it will easily be one of my favorite TV shows ever. The most impressive thing unlike most kdramas is the pacing, which is flying by. If this was another drama, they would be be at episode 12/16 with what's happened. Which makes great because it makes it a lot less predictable so far. Really hope the pace keeps pushing. Music is great, acting, characters, leads. It's fucking money. Also, there's action and it doesn't look hackey as fuck. Even some nice car chase scenes. Main two leads are awesome, and I like that there's not dumb misunderstandings etc etc, people are smart on all sides and even the cult like devotion towards the uber twat is believable. What an amazing fucking show. Wow. 10/10 so far.

Finishing up She Was Pretty and first time thinking, but the second main character that's a guy IMO is better the lead, whose the dude from Secretary Kim and Fight My Way. Think he should get with the girl because he's a better character/person, but obvs it's not happening. It's a real nice show and very funny.. best thing about it however, is the sismance between the main chick and her bff.. reminds me of my friends (but, guys). It's one of the best friendships I've seen in television full stop, and it's totally believable.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I consider Lee Chang-Dong to be the best filmmaker to exist and his recent film "Burning" did not disappoint. The movie puts the real meaning of the word "thriller" into it. This movie is harrowing, cuts extremely deep, and manages to never falter in any way. Steven Yeun of Walking Dead fame plays in this and I never realized how good of an actor he is until now. You'd think it's another person entirely.

If you liked "The Wailing" it's in the same register.

less

Oct 25, 2017
I consider Lee Chang-Dong to be the best filmmaker to exist and his recent film "Burning" did not disappoint. The movie puts the real meaning of the word "thriller" into it. This movie is harrowing, cuts extremely deep, and manages to never falter in any way. Steven Yeun of Walking Dead fame plays in this and I never realized how good of an actor he is until now. You'd think it's another person entirely.

If you liked "The Wailing" it's in the same register.

I've been meaning to watch this but lack of time has reduced the places that I can see it to NYC. Which isn't bad but a bit more of a hassle to get to on my days off. I'll see if I can get a chance to watch it next weekend.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I've been meaning to watch this but lack of time has reduced the places that I can see it to NYC. Which isn't bad but a bit more of a hassle to get to on my days off. I'll see if I can get a chance to watch it next weekend.

This is the first movie from the filmmaker I had the chance to watch on the big screen and I'm glad I did. I also kept putting it off due to lack of time but I'm glad I caught what seemed to be the very last screening in France.

Here's hoping his next movie doesn't take another 8 years to release.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Finished "The Smile Has Left Your Eyes" just now. Hoo boy, what a show. I won't spoil anything but I will summarize by saying I think it has some of the best acting I've ever seen in a Kdrama and the musical score is a real stand-out. It has one of those endings that will stick with me and take a while to process but wow is it an excellent show.

roosters93

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was based on a webtoon?

As for Lawless Lawyer, I think it started off strong but it kinda went off the rails halfway through and I never finished it.

oh so it is (as most dramas these days seem to be haha)
so what I meant is like the base idea of the tv show/webtoon (or perhaps more fittingly the inspiration?) is a traditional fairy tale called 선녀와 나마꾼. (the fairy and woodcutter?)
the webtoon and show diverts a lot from the fairytale so yeah its mostly original. (although I've only watched one episode so far)

in the fairy tale (though there are a few variations), there's a deer getting chased by a hunter and the deer asks the lumberjack for help. He hides the deer (the deer can talk btw lol) and the deer lets him know there will be some fairies bathing tonight and if you steal one of their wing clothes you can keep her here as your wife. (its pretty fucked up). so he does that and they get married and have kids and one day the fairy wife asks him to just let her see her wing clothes once pretty please. so he shows her but she snatches the clothes and flies back to cloud land with the kids lol. here i thought it would end with the lumberjack getting his just desserts but he asks the deer for help and the deer tells him there will be like a well bucket? coming down from cloud land at night to get water and he can jump in it to go up to cloud land. there he meets the wife and children and they live happily ever after.
so basically become a kidnapper and your wife will get stockholm syndrome and everything turns out great lol

I also couldn't really get into Lawless Lawyer. I think i watched an episode or two but the tone and stuff, it was just a bit off for me.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I thought it was based on a webtoon?

As for Lawless Lawyer, I think it started off strong but it kinda went off the rails halfway through and I never finished it.
So I'm in episode 11 of Lawless Lawyer. First 6 episodes are flat out 10/10, I loved it. I'm in episode 11 and feel like some of the tropes annoying aspects and pacing issues that I find in many kdramas is prevalent here.

- I don't get why the mom doesn't reveal herself immediately, it seems so dumb
- So the two bad guys are having a falling out, and the idea for 1 of them is to let the good guy that's been fucking them over and wants them dead to get out of jail? Just because he can play with his food. Like, he may as well have twirled his mustache while at it
- They have the photos of both guys incriminated and haven't revealed it..

latest

I'm still enjoying the show and will finish it this week, but I'm real dissapointed there are now dumb characters doing dumb things for plot purposes and the pacing has slowed down.

doagrl

Nov 1, 2017
USA
I took a week off for the Thanksgiving holiday and spent eight cold & rainy days in the house watching dramas and playing Pokemon. I felt like a kid again.

I finished 'Something in the Rain' after many months of putting it off. I am glad that I watched it even if the second half dropped off considerably from the first. I knew going in that it would be a complicated drama and not a straight love story so I wasn't at all caught off guard when the "complications' entered the picture. Overall I enjoyed it.

I also managed to binge watch two shows, 'The Third Charm' and 'Beauty Inside', neither of which I recommend past the first eight episodes. The Third Charm could have been special but instead it turned from a very cute rom-com into this ultra-realistic melo that left me hating every character. I just don't like the "realism" paint that too many k drama writers are coating their works in right now. I understand that life is hard, bad things happen, grey people are far, far more prevalent in our society than perfect/hero boys and candy girls but I can see "real" anywhere. I don't think every show should be a chaebol/cinderella type but I also don't want or need every k drama to bow down to the realism altar. I especially don't want to go into a show thinking that I am watching a romcom only to be transported episode by episode into a ridiculous torture chamber of a makjang. Needless to say I struggled to finish The Third Charm and the only reason why I did was because of my love of Esom and growing respect for Seo Kang Joon. Falling in love with actors is a mistake!

Thankfully, I have very little attachment to any of the performers in Beauty Inside which is why I had no issue FF watching that to it's frustrating end.

I decided to try out some of the shows on Kocowa that I never really looked at before: 'Matrimonial Chaos' (I didn't think I would like it but I was wrong) and 'Ms. Ma' (I did think I would like this one but I was wrong). I am far enough behind Matrimonial Chaos that I will put it on hold and wait for it end then binge watch it over my Christmas break. Ms. Ma reminded me some of the good parts of Mystery Queen (the first season) but for some reason I just couldn't get into it like I thought I would be able to. I will wait until the end and try it out again during my next break.

I started 'The Last Empress' but it didn't catch me in the first week. If it doesn't grab me this week I will drop it because there are just too many new shows to concentrate on like for example 'Children of Nobody'. Of all the shows I watched during my break this is the one I liked the most. I was completely caught off guard because it was definitely not on my radar at all. It's advertised as a mystery/thriller (which I like) but it also may have something supernatural going on with a potential little ghost girl haunting the main lead (Kim Sun Ah) or she may be having a psychotic break. The audience doesn't know yet what's going on but we're given just enough information to really want to stay with it and see where all of the threads are leading. It also has Lee Yi Kyung playing a detective which is inspiring since he looks so young & beautiful but he's playing a character that feels older & more world-weary. I've liked him for years and I'm happy to see him get a chance at a lead role, hopefully it will continue to go well. Children of Nobody is on Kocowa (along with The Last Empress) if anyone plans on watching.

I am still watching Love Alert (see my earlier statement about falling in love with actors being a mistake) and at this point I just want it to wrap up quickly. I appreciate YEH & even Chun Jung Myung because they are doing the work but the words that the writer puts in their mouths are just so stupid. I've just given up that this drama will ever get any better. I am committed to watching it to the end but it's just so disappointing to me because I hoped for more with her comeback. I think the most frustrating part of this is that there are so many dramas that are made now and so many would do well with YEH's talent and charisma but she is post-scandal relegated to this dumpster fire. I hate it but at this point in her career I hope that her managers will talk her into doing second lead roles in bigger dramas with an eye towards building back to lead rather than take on anything else like Love Alert.

Mama Fairy continues to be silly and enjoyable. I saved last week's episodes to watch after 'The Smile Has Left Your Eyes' finale and that was a good decision because it is the ultimate palate cleanser.

And now the week I've been waiting for is here and I am missing DramaFever more than ever. Unfortunately, Clean with Passion for Now has no official US streaming service. I have no doubt that if DramaFever were still in business they would have never missed a chance to show this on their site probably with huge amounts of fanfare, news articles and "Exclusive" banners. For now the only way to watch is through VIU. I was sure that Viki would carry it and I am still hopeful since they just announced that they will show Encounter early this morning but not nearly as hopeful as I was a couple of weeks ago. Oh well, at least Encounter (Viki) & Memories of Alhambra (Netflix) will be easy to view.

Finished "The Smile Has Left Your Eyes" just now. Hoo boy, what a show. I won't spoil anything but I will summarize by saying I think it has some of the best acting I've ever seen in a Kdrama and the musical score is a real stand-out. It has one of those endings that will stick with me and take a while to process but wow is it an excellent show.

It was the ending that I expected and an appropriate sendoff to a great show. And now we just have to wait to see if it will receive any recognition at all come awards time.

If it had premiered in 2017 then I think it would be swimming in nominations but 2018 is just so strong. I'm hopeful that they will be recognized in some way for all of the fantastic performances & beautiful direction.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
I just don't like the "realism" paint that too many k drama writers are coating their works in right now. I understand that life is hard, bad things happen, grey people are far, far more prevalent in our society than perfect/hero boys and candy girls but I can see "real" anywhere. I don't think every show should be a chaebol/cinderella type but I also don't want or need every k drama to bow down to the realism altar. I especially don't want to go into a show thinking that I am watching a romcom only to be transported episode by episode into a ridiculous torture chamber of a makjang. Needless to say I struggled to finish The Third Charm and the only reason why I did was because of my love of Esom and growing respect for Seo Kang Joon. Falling in love with actors is a mistake!

I am 1000% right there with you. One of the reasons I watch Kdramas (and it sounds like you are the same way) is because it can be cute, warm, sweet, beautiful, heart-touching escapist television. If I wanted to watch people being horrible to one another, suffering terribly and doing all of the bad things people do then all I have to do is turn on the news for that. Something like "The Smile has Left Your Eyes" gets a little bit of a pass from me because it is incredibly well executed but otherwise I like my typical drama to stay firmly entrenched in fantasy (and I don't mean supernatural, necessarily, as something like "What's Wrong with Secretary Kim" has no supernatural elements but is fun and entertaining fantasy in my mind.

I appreciate your comments on some of the new shows. I will check out Matrimonial Chaos and Children of Nobody. I'm super happy Viki got Encounter but also bummed about Clean with Passion For Now. It seemed like it would have lower licensing costs than Encounter but maybe they didn't get enough requests for it or maybe Encounter used up all the licensing money for this quarter. Who knows!

I did sign up for a good VPN service and the free VIU account and I can always go that route if "Clean" doesn't end up on any of our preferred services.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I would like less cutesy characters that completely unrealistic amazing partners myself, but yeah Third Charm is just all over the place. I've just started kdrama this year, but there's way too superficial unrealistic perfect characters from what I've seen. I still need to finish TTC, but it's ok. Characters aren't that interesting for me, that is a much bigger issue than gray characters. When you are just annoyed at characters, almost everyone it's annoying. The lead in Lawless Lawyer is not a perfect person either (almost killed a dude with his fists due to rage if he wasn't stopped, stole evidence, makes a mockery of the court), but he's a very interesting character unlike almost every character in TTC.

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
roosters93 thanks for the background! I thought I was misunderstanding the bit about stealing the clothes in the show but no apparently that does mean you get to marry the fairy which is gross really.

I'll echo what others said about The Third Charm. I wanted to love it but I couldn't get past the first 4 episodes.

I want to check out Matrimonal Chaos, but I think I'll wait a bit.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
I picked "Where Stars Land" back up today. Everytime I start to get a little fatigued with it they will put in a scene or two that is completely awesome or ridiculously cute. The security team couple is just my favorite. I will work on finishing it as I wait on new episodes of Mama Fairy and Love Alert.

Edit - Wow, I completely forgot until just now that I only have 2 episodes left of Ghost Detective. That's not a good sign when you almost completely forget about a drama after having not watched it for a week. I'll save my comments until I have finished it but right now I would say it is one of those that starts off really strong only to get noticeably weaker towards the end.

Last edited:

doagrl

Nov 1, 2017
USA
I am 1000% right there with you. One of the reasons I watch Kdramas (and it sounds like you are the same way) is because it can be cute, warm, sweet, beautiful, heart-touching escapist television. If I wanted to watch people being horrible to one another, suffering terribly and doing all of the bad things people do then all I have to do is turn on the news for that. Something like "The Smile has Left Your Eyes" gets a little bit of a pass from me because it is incredibly well executed but otherwise I like my typical drama to stay firmly entrenched in fantasy (and I don't mean supernatural, necessarily, as something like "What's Wrong with Secretary Kim" has no supernatural elements but is fun and entertaining fantasy in my mind.

I appreciate your comments on some of the new shows. I will check out Matrimonial Chaos and Children of Nobody. I'm super happy Viki got Encounter but also bummed about Clean with Passion For Now. It seemed like it would have lower licensing costs than Encounter but maybe they didn't get enough requests for it or maybe Encounter used up all the licensing money for this quarter. Who knows!

I did sign up for a good VPN service and the free VIU account and I can always go that route if "Clean" doesn't end up on any of our preferred services.

Exactly! I watch k dramas for the escapism. I just love fluffy, cute, happily ever after romcoms and good triumphing over evil melodramas. I can accept and fall in love with dark shows like The Smile has Left Your Eyes & My Mister because they are masterpieces but I typically have very little interest (or patience) with the ultra-realism type of show.

It looks like it is VIU for all of us 'Clean' viewers. I kept checking my phone at work today hoping that Viki would announce the license at the very last minute but it was not to be. I like VIU but I was really hoping for Viki because the wait is shorter and I am weak. I know that I will end up spoiling the show for myself reading recaps before I can see the episodes. I'm beginning to think that JTBC are pricing themselves out of the market because Viki has not been able to license a single show from them this year.

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
Where Stars Land is kinda weird. I don't think it knows what kinda show it wants to be. It's sort of all over the place. And there are plot holes or plot lines that seem to be dropped. I like it enough to keep watching but I don't love it.