• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Better late than never, right? At least that's my philosophy when it comes to checking out a drama. With that in mind I started up My Strange Hero which just got it's last episodes and is now officially over. 9 episodes in and I wish I had started this on earlier. I didn't realize it was a romantic comedy (which is my bread and butter) because from the description it sounds more like a melodrama. It has some melodrama but it also has a crazy streak running right through the middle that I absolutely adore. Seriously. I am low-key in love with this drama.

Yoo Seung Ho (of I Am Not a Robot fame) is quickly becoming one of my favorite leading men. He's good looking, charming, cool and most importantly, really funny! He isn't afraid to be goofy and do the slapstick and somehow he looks as natural and effortless doing that as he does being the loverboy with puppy-dog eyes that all the girls go wild for.

Our leading lady, Jo Bo Ah, I was unfamiliar with until I started this show. My impressions of her so far are that she's absolutely gorgeous and is very good at expressing by using her eyes and face. She is definite heart-throb material and one of the few actresses who I think can successfully pull off the flashbacks where she's in high school in a uniform looking young but also look older and more mature in the present day. I mostly hate it when shows do this (just use a younger actor or actress!) but here it seems to work for her.

And finally, the delightfully weird cherry on top is our foil and other leading man Kwang Dong Yeon. I remember him most recently from My ID is Gangnam Beauty where he was the lead's room mate and love rival. In that show he was the older, more mature nice guy that everybody liked. Here he is the very incarnation of a diseased mind and whenever he's on screen I can't take my eyes off of him but I'm also really uncomfortable with his character. All I can say is that he projects a special kind of pathos that is the complete opposite of our charismatic leading man. I'm sort of shocked it's the same actor but that just goes to show that he has some great range in terms of his abilities.

The show bills itself as a revenge thing where Yoo Seung Ho goes back to the school that once expelled him unfairly but really it's about conflict resolution and doing the right thing even if it's uncomfortable and unpopular. What makes it work so well for me is that it has this delightful goofball vibe to it that makes it feel almost like a good comic or manga. Even though I don't know how it will end yet I am extremely glad that I gave it a chance because so far it is a whole lot of fun.

Bad Advice

Jan 8, 2019
Been watching korean movies for a while now but couldn't get into korean dramas, mainly because I was usually recommended the cheesy stuff which I don't like..

But recently I watched "Stranger" on Netflix. Holy shit! Haven't seen such a great and tightly packed whodunnit in a long, long time. And it's so shiny and generally well made. Typical korean, almost like a movie. There is hardly any filler material, they manage to tell the plot so well over 15 episodes with each episode +60 min, sometimes even almost 90 min! That is quite a feat. What a great show. Looking forward to season 2.

Right now I am watching "Misaeng: Incomplete Life" which I wasn't too sure about either at first. Sounded like a typical cheesy K-drama but this show is great. And in certain aspects also relatable to anyone who worked in an office. Other aspects seem to be very unique to south korea (all the yelling, the overboard sexism, though that might be because it's a drama?). Overall great show, really enjoying it (about to watch ep. 8).

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Been watching korean movies for a while now but couldn't get into korean dramas, mainly because I was usually recommended the cheesy stuff which I don't like..

But recently I watched "Stranger" on Netflix. Holy shit! Haven't seen such a great and tightly packed whodunnit in a long, long time. And it's so shiny and generally well made. Typical korean, almost like a movie. There is hardly any filler material, they manage to tell the plot so well over 15 episodes with each episode +60 min, sometimes even almost 90 min! That is quite a feat. What a great show. Looking forward to season 2.

Right now I am watching "Misaeng: Incomplete Life" which I wasn't too sure about either at first. Sounded like a typical cheesy K-drama but this show is great. And in certain aspects also relatable to anyone who worked in an office. Other aspects seem to be very unique to south korea (all the yelling, the overboard sexism, though that might be because it's a drama?). Overall great show, really enjoying it (about to watch ep. 8).
Haven't watched Stranger but Misaeng is well regarded around here. If you like shows that are on the darker side then check out "Children of Nobody" which just finished recently. It's fantastic and also has extremely tight pacing.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Was waiting for new episodes of "Romance is a Bonus Book" this weekend from Netflix but got none. I thought it was strange when they dropped 4 episodes on us the previous weekend but I guess I know why. Still, I think we're at least a week behind the Korean release so I don't know what's up with that.

So instead I watched another mini series on Viki called "Bing Goo" (which I think means "ice block" or something similar). It's a 2 episode series about a guy who is frozen for 37 years (1979 - 2016) while trying to protect his lady love and of course when he wakes up the whole world has moved on. It's got a really cute and sweet vibe with a strong (but not overwhelming) current of sadness and loss. Because of the short running time some things feel a little rushed but overall I would recommend it if you want something that hits all of the right notes but isn't a large time investment. It isn't To.Jenny good (my gold standard for short series) but is still very worthwhile in its own right.

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
I started Love is a Bonus Book, which I'm enjoying so far even though I don't particularly like Eun Ho and Dan I as a couple.

Touch Your Heart is great. Sunny and the Grim Reaper were the best part of Goblin so I'm happy to see Yoo In Na and Lee Dong Wook together again.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

giphy.gif

I am in 1.5 eps into this show and it's fucking amazing. "We just need to turn on the lights" Music kicks, the hype rises. The mystery is absolutely amazing so far.. if it can keep it up every episode, it might end up being one of my favorite shows overall. Lawless Lawyer also had one of the strongest starts ever to a show (first 6 episodes), so I'm a bit wary.

Right now I am watching "Misaeng: Incomplete Life" which I wasn't too sure about either at first. Sounded like a typical cheesy K-drama but this show is great. And in certain aspects also relatable to anyone who worked in an office. Other aspects seem to be very unique to south korea (all the yelling, the overboard sexism, though that might be because it's a drama?). Overall great show, really enjoying it (about to watch ep. 8)
My favorite kdrama. Amazing show. Curious what you think once it's done. Misaeng is just incredible though.

Finished Chief Kim. Might be the most bat shit crazy kdrama I have ever seeen. No romance, albeit hinted at like Misaeng.. unless you count Chief Kim and the Director LOL.. But it's funny and crazy to a level no one will expect. Him getting into "detention" and when the music starts is one of the most laugh out loud funniest moments I have had in years. Wow lol.. 9/10

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Glad to see this thread with a little bit of life. I've caught up on Romance is a Bonus Book and I am liking it more each episode. The supporting cast and sub-plots are just as good as the leads and in that way it reminds me a little bit of Secretary Kim although with a much more realistic vibe.

Touch Your Heart is SO much better than I thought it would be, especially after the first episode which was just ok. Subsequent episodes have improved it a lot and Yu In Na must be one of the most adorable people on the planet. Every episode is making me smile so much at this point.

The Item kind of reminds me of a Marvel show in that you have totally over the top bad-guys, lots of action and plot development but relatively little character development. The kdrama / manga mash-up is a good one so far and it is quite dark which should appeal to folks who don't normally go in for the typical rom-com or melodrama.

Finally, Clean with Passion for Now is finally on Viki! After catching the first part of the series via VPN on Viu and seeing how long it was taking episodes to become available I dropped it. Now that it's on Viki I can catch back up and hopefully lots of other folks can check it out also. It's funny (I laughed out loud several times) quirky, weird and really, really sweet so I'm glad it's finally available.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Touch Your Heart is SO much better than I thought it would be, especially after the first episode which was just ok. Subsequent episodes have improved it a lot and Yu In Na must be one of the most adorable people on the planet. Every episode is making me smile so much at this point.
It's such a lovely show, really. It's been too damn long since Yoo In-na had a lead heroine role, so I'm really glad to see her back.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Everyone start watching Stranger on Netflix now brehs. Bad Advice speaks the golspel when he said the show is fantastic. 12 episodes in, and this is clearly one of the best kdramas ever made. I think I just finished watching the best episode so far in the series and man, what a show. The surprise at the end had me shook.

It's not just the amazing acting, characters, OST that shine, but the cinematography on this is one of the best in a kdrama. The way the story weaves constantly just to always keep you on your toes is amazing to view. The writing is honestly incredible. There were legitimately 5 amazing moments in this last episode that would have made an entire episode by itself, and it just kept going.

Every other show I've been watching, some almost done have been put on the backlog for this. It's a 10/10 so far, up there with Misaeng and well on its way to be one of my favorite shows ever.

giphy.gif

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Everyone start watching Stranger on Netflix now brehs. Bad Advice speaks the golspel when he said the show is fantastic. 12 episodes in, and this is clearly one of the best kdramas ever made. I think I just finished watching the best episode so far in the series and man, what a show. The surprise at the end had me shook.

It's not just the amazing acting, characters, OST that shine, but the cinematography on this is one of the best in a kdrama. The way the story weaves constantly just to always keep you on your toes is amazing to view. The writing is honestly incredible. There were legitimately 5 amazing moments in this last episode that would have made an entire episode by itself, and it just kept going.

Every other show I've been watching, some almost done have been put on the backlog for this. It's a 10/10 so far, up there with Misaeng and well on its way to be one of my favorite shows ever.

giphy.gif
Sounds awesome. Will definitely have to check it out. I'm really pleased with the selections on offer right now as Touch Your Heart and Love is a Bonus Book are both exceeding my expectations while The Item and Radiant each have their own charms. There's some fantastic shows available right now, folks.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I never watch kdrama, only movies but y'all convinced me. Is Netflix the best place to watch this stuff ?

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Netflix is good. Viki.com (Video Wiki) is probably the best overall right now but a full, no ads Viki sub for a year is around $100 at the normal price so you may want to hold off on that until you've decided that you are a kdrama convert like the rest of us. On Netflix my current favorites are:

Romance is a Bonus Book (currently airing)
Hello, My Twenties
Oh, My Ghost
Strong Girl Bong Soon
Reply (series)
and I am sure others would also add Stranger and Misaeng to that list, neither of which I have seen.

Have fun watching!

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
I never watch kdrama, only movies but y'all convinced me. Is Netflix the best place to watch this stuff ?

In addition to what matmanx suggested, Descendants of the Sun is pretty good. I'm also slowly making my way through Kingdom (there's only 6 episodes).

Hello My Twenties is great and one of the few kdramas to get a season 2.

Strong Girl Do Bong Soon....the main couple is super cute but nearly everything else in that drama I found problematic. So recommended with huge asterics (at least for me).

Romance is a Bonus Book is really good so far.

Bad Advice

Jan 8, 2019
Finished Misaeng.. what a show. This show reminded me a lot of Friday Night Lights, even though the stories are completely different. But it had that same bittersweetness to it, it gave me the same fuzzy warm feeling which FNL gave me and I thought I'll never feel again in a show. Both shows sometimes dabble into the realm of cheesiness but know just when to pull back.

The story, the acting, the relationships, the raw emotions.. there are few unicorn shows that do it so well, that manage to weave all aspects into a story that on its own some might consider mundane. For me it was very interesting because I related a lot with Geu-Rae (the main character). I too didn't have any friends in my youth, I too struggled in the corporate world and overcompensated a lot due to underdeveloped social skills. I have since caught up a little bit but I can still tell where I missed things out in my life... Dong-sik Kim mentions Geu-Raes lack of social skills and his overcompensation in one of the early episodes and man.. that one hit me hard. Oh well.

Lee Sung-min (Mr. Oh) is a legend, seen him in a few movies as well. But my favourite character was Suk-yool, the clown of the 4. It's like he was born for this role lol. But really I liked all four of them. Overall i am glad I have found this show and just like I did with FNL I will definitely watch this show again at some point because there are few shows that give me that kind of feeling.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I finished Stranger. Give me season 2 immediately. That last episode caught me by surprise and one of the main characters became so much more complex upon understanding his reasoning. Upon a rewatch, I will have a totally different perspective when I watch him on the screen.

All I can hope for is that season 2 is as good as season 1. That's all I want. Watching the emotionless Shi-mok show some emotion towards the end was amazing, curious to see more of that.
Her death was fucked up!!! I couldn't believe it. When he started yelling and getting angry, I got goosebumps, especially at the funeral.

Just like Misaeng, the cast here is incredible and helps so much with the mystery of the show.

In addition to what matmanx suggested, Descendants of the Sun is pretty good. I'm also slowly making my way through Kingdom (there's only 6 episodes).

Strong Girl Do Bong Soon....the main couple is super cute but nearly everything else in that drama I found problematic. So recommended with huge asterics (at least for me).

I was going to talk about this but since you brought it up.. I don't get the hype

BabyishImmaculateAnemonecrab-size_restricted.gif

I am 10? episodes in, and I don't get it. Now I think it is a good show and it's quite enjoyable. But I saw on viki 30,000+ reviews and it's 98%, I expected a lot more. I think it is a good, enjoyable show so far that is a 7 or 7.5/10, but I went in thinking I was going to watch possibly one of the best kdramas this decade. Story is dragging at times and
The part where the child shoots the main bad guy and ALL THREE get to leave completely took me out of the show. There is zero chance in hell that would happen. At best, the main 2 leads leave. That kid would have been shot on the spot immediately. It was ridiculously unbelievable in a bad way...
I love the bromance though, it's absolutely amazing. When Yoo, Seo and Yoon are all together it's just too much fun to watch. I dig the other doctors as well, though the young doctor who has a kid on the way is just way too extra. Feels like he needs another slap in the face to get back to the real world.

What am I missing here?

Finished Misaeng.. what a show. This show reminded me a lot of Friday Night Lights, even though the stories are completely different. But it had that same bittersweetness to it, it gave me the same fuzzy warm feeling which FNL gave me and I thought I'll never feel again in a show. Both shows sometimes dabble into the realm of cheesiness but know just when to pull back.

The story, the acting, the relationships, the raw emotions.. there are few unicorn shows that do it so well, that manage to weave all aspects into a story that on its own some might consider mundane. For me it was very interesting because I related a lot with Geu-Rae (the main character). I too didn't have any friends in my youth, I too struggled in the corporate world and overcompensated a lot due to underdeveloped social skills. I have since caught up a little bit but I can still tell where I missed things out in my life... Dong-sik Kim mentions Geu-Raes lack of social skills and his overcompensation in one of the early episodes and man.. that one hit me hard. Oh well.

Lee Sung-min (Mr. Oh) is a legend, seen him in a few movies as well. But my favourite character was Suk-yool, the clown of the 4. It's like he was born for this role lol. But really I liked all four of them. Overall i am glad I have found this show and just like I did with FNL I will definitely watch this show again at some point because there are few shows that give me that kind of feeling.
giphy.gif

Misaeng is without a doubt one of the best shows ever made. Trying to get two friends and my sister to start watching this soon enough so this shows gets even more love. I too will watch this possibly annually. It's been a few months, and I still miss it. A true wonder. I absolutely love Suk-yool, he was such a charming character and when he broke, it became quite the sad sight. He needs to be a lead in a show, he's way too talented not too. Saw him in Mr. Sunshine, and he stole many scenes despite being the 5-6th main character of the show. And Mr. Oh is one of the best characters ever written.

If this thread has done one good thing is spread the gospel of Misaeng. I just finished Stranger on Netflix, highly reccomend you watch. It's the only kdrama that is one the same level as Misaeng but for completely different reasons.

EDIT: I just realized you're the one that recommended Stranger in the first place LOL.. yikes

Netflix and viki. Go to viki, click korean and watch with some ads. I have 3 ad blockers on mine so I don't deal with it, but I'll be subbing soon to support them.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Count me as one of those who are unimpressed with Descendants of the Sun. It isn't a bad show but, apart from the bromance, it doesn't really do anything better than a lot of shows out there and some things (like the fight scenes) are noticeably worse. And don't get me started on the amount of times Song Joong Ki gets shot, appears to be mortally wounded, and then is mostly fine a couple of scenes later.

That being said it is so popular that it is probably worth watching just because it gets referenced so often. I laughed out loud at Yoo In Na in Touch Your Heart recently when she imagined a scene in her head that was right out of Descendants of the Sun and then it was really cute later on when something very similar actually happened to her.

So while I think it's worth watching for a couple of reasons I do not count it among my favorites.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Netflix is good. Viki.com (Video Wiki) is probably the best overall right now but a full, no ads Viki sub for a year is around $100 at the normal price so you may want to hold off on that until you've decided that you are a kdrama convert like the rest of us. On Netflix my current favorites are:

Romance is a Bonus Book (currently airing)
Hello, My Twenties
Oh, My Ghost
Strong Girl Bong Soon
Reply (series)
and I am sure others would also add Stranger and Misaeng to that list, neither of which I have seen.

Have fun watching!

Thanks, I started with Stranger and the first episode was pretty good so I'm going to go ahead with that one ! I'll be sure to chekc the rest ty

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't watched anything in a while but I've got my sights set on Kill It, which airs in a few weeks.

7LjxymJ.jpg

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Stranger goes places, I'm at the end of episode 2 and I'm being pleasantly surprised.

The music is killer too, they're not pulling any punches

Bad Advice

Jan 8, 2019
EDIT: I just realized you're the one that recommended Stranger in the first place LOL.. yikes

hehe that's alright.

what do I watch next? I realize that the bar has been set high with Stranger and Misaeng but I am still hungry for more. Been watching other stuff the last couple of days but I need to get back on kdramas.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
hehe that's alright.

what do I watch next? I realize that the bar has been set high with Stranger and Misaeng but I am still hungry for more. Been watching other stuff the last couple of days but I need to get back on kdramas.
I started in September and been watching a ton of them.. but there's others that have watched loads more. For me, Misaeng and Stranger are the two best kdramas made and 10/10. Both in my favorite tv shows in general.

I can recommend you The Smile has Left Your Eyes. Keep in mind that this one does have romance, but it's much darker than the usual rom coms kdramas are filled. I watched the first episode and wondered if the main character is the villain of the story for example. Also some of the themes it has are extremely dark. I don't want to allude to anything but.. yeah...

I'd like to know if there are any shows like Stranger out there?.. detective, mystery of some sort.. but a super compelling storyline that keeps you guessing. It's bizarre kdramas are so light when their movies are so dark, a very yin yang balance. I'm just waiting for the release of season 2 now, impatiently.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Whoever takes care of the naming at Netflix is stupid. The literal name Secret Forest/Forest of Secrets is miiiiles better than « Stranger »

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
hehe that's alright.

Have you seen Kingdom? The same writer wrote Stranger.

I'm just starting Stranger based on the recommendation of this thread, and because I enjoyed Kingdom so much.

Whoever takes care of the naming at Netflix is stupid. The literal name Secret Forest/Forest of Secrets is miiiiles better than « Stranger »

Why do they do that? Is Netflix not allowed to use the original translation of the titles?

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Any good melodramas out lately?

Melodramas as in tragic love stories? If you can bear things like infidelity and even more depressing themes, Netflix has two that I can think of:

Hymn of Death - it's based on a true story about the doomed love affair of a soprano and a writer during the Japanese occupation. Very very very very sad but beautifully realized.

Secret Affair - a musical prodigy from a poor, working-class background has an affair with an administrator of a prestigious music school. it also deals with the politics and compromises one makes to rise in the ranks of that school.

edited to add: the acting and production values are top-notch in both of these.

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I finished Stranger, man that was a great ride.

Will there be a season 2 ? I heard K-Drama doesn't really do seasons

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
I started in September and been watching a ton of them.. but there's others that have watched loads more. For me, Misaeng and Stranger are the two best kdramas made and 10/10. Both in my favorite tv shows in general.

I can recommend you The Smile has Left Your Eyes. Keep in mind that this one does have romance, but it's much darker than the usual rom coms kdramas are filled. I watched the first episode and wondered if the main character is the villain of the story for example. Also some of the themes it has are extremely dark. I don't want to allude to anything but.. yeah...

I'd like to know if there are any shows like Stranger out there?.. detective, mystery of some sort.. but a super compelling storyline that keeps you guessing. It's bizarre kdramas are so light when their movies are so dark, a very yin yang balance. I'm just waiting for the release of season 2 now, impatiently.

Children of Nobody. Don't sleep on it. It's a fantastic "whodunnit" and has a lot of the same tense feels as Stranger (which I am also currently watching).

Any good melodramas out lately?

Radiant? I watched up to episode 6 and it's very well acted but was also depressing the heck out of me. It also has some absurdist humor almost all of which is the result of Son Ho Jun. That guy is hilarious.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I thought so too but I have read on the internet that a season 2 was/is planned. No current updates as far as I can tell.

https://mydramalist.com/27361-stranger-2

This is very cool, it has so much potential too.

On another note, I told myself that I should follow what the writer is doing because she did such a great job, and it turns out she did the medical drama "Life", who also stars the lead but this time as a somewhat "evil" corporate president of a hospital this time. It's very interesting and it's very different from any other medical drama I've seen considering it's more about politics and morals. Kinda like a spiritual follow-up to Stranger but in the corporate world vs public health service.

Also, where is Goblin available ? I kinda want to watch it but Netflix doesn't have it for me

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Hmm, I think I watched Goblin on Dramafever which is a shame since it is no longer around. Someone needs to pick up the license for us because it looks like it isn't on any of the regular streaming services. I think it's on Viu but you'd have to use a VPN and change your region to Malaysia or Singapore or the like and suffer through plenty of ads.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I may have misread, but I thought I read here that the director of Stranger is the one who directed Kingdom? Started it for that reason, and the show is fantastic. Only 6 episodes, clearly there will be a season 2. The main character is such an amazing character and someone you absolutely want to fight for. A true leader.

Great characters, OST, directing, and the monsters are very well used. It's essentially politics thrown in instead of just being an undead tv show, which makes it more appealing. Some really fucked up stuff there, and I'm not just talking about the zombies. Quite an end there with a twist in the finale.

Children of Nobody. Don't sleep on it. It's a fantastic "whodunnit" and has a lot of the same tense feels as Stranger (which I am also currently watching).
Nice, I will add it on the list. Will probably watch that and Life as my next to watch shows.

I'm currently going through the backlog of the K2, Encounter, and Descendants of the Sun.
This is very cool, it has so much potential too.

On another note, I told myself that I should follow what the writer is doing because she did such a great job, and it turns out she did the medical drama "Life", who also stars the lead but this time as a somewhat "evil" corporate president of a hospital this time. It's very interesting and it's very different from any other medical drama I've seen considering it's more about politics and morals. Kinda like a spiritual follow-up to Stranger but in the corporate world vs public health service.

Also, where is Goblin available ? I kinda want to watch it but Netflix doesn't have it for me
Damn.. then I have to watch it. I have to watch something from the writer/director of either Stranger or Misaeng.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't seem lke the director of KIngdom is the same. That director made the popular movie Tunnel before branching off with K-drama. Life even isn't the same director as Stranger. In fact Life does something differently by offering a letterboxd aspect ratio format with black bars at the top and bottom for a more film-like experience.

Honestly when it comes to writing, I always feel its better off to follow the writer than the director and I'm glad I did in this case. Life is really good.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
seeing the imdb pages of Stranger and the photos of all the actors smiling especially Shi-Mok is strangely heartwarming

MV5BNDNiZmJhYzgtNTU4OC00NDhmLWIzYTEtZjZlYTIwZDhhZDgzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzI1NzMxNzM@._V1_.jpg

MV5BZWQ4YzcyZTMtNmUxMi00MTk5LWEzYTQtZWRlYzQ0MDM2MzliXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzI1NzMxNzM@._V1_.jpg

MV5BNzg1Y2YyZTEtNmRhNy00MzU2LWI1YTgtYTc2Yjc1YTlkZjQ0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzI1NzMxNzM@._V1_.jpg

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Nothing beats Boys Over Flowers ❤️
Ugh. Bad memories. To this day I still have trouble watching anything with Lee Min Ho in it. Bullying is one my most sensitive areas due to some stuff in my childhood and watching what his character put Geum Jan Di through just about did me in. It didn't help that it was one the first K-Dramas I ever watched and wasn't used to the type of emotional investment these shows sometimes elicit.

I know it's well loved but it isn't a great memory for me. (And she totally should have ended up with the other guy!)

Baphomet

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
Ugh. Bad memories. To this day I still have trouble watching anything with Lee Min Ho in it. Bullying is one my most sensitive areas due to some stuff in my childhood and watching what his character put Geum Jan Di through just about did me in. It didn't help that it was one the first K-Dramas I ever watched and wasn't used to the type of emotional investment these shows sometimes elicit.

I know it's well loved but it isn't a great memory for me. (And she totally should have ended up with the other guy!)
It was my first K drama too so it holds a special place for me, an led yes he was a huge douchebag, but that's pretty standard for K dramas, at least they didn't go full manga version of him.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Just finished Stranger / Forest of Secrets. The Korean name fits the show sooooo much better than the Netflix name. I wonder who made that decision and why.

Outstanding show from beginning to end. The casting, the acting, the pacing, the story, the music, everything was excellent. Definitely one of the best law and order type shows that I have seen and one of the best of the nearly 100 K-Dramas that I have watched in the last couple of years. I enjoyed every minute.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished Stranger / Forest of Secrets. The Korean name fits the show sooooo much better than the Netflix name. I wonder who made that decision and why.

Outstanding show from beginning to end. The casting, the acting, the pacing, the story, the music, everything was excellent. Definitely one of the best law and order type shows that I have seen and one of the best of the nearly 100 K-Dramas that I have watched in the last couple of years. I enjoyed every minute.

does it have any romance?

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just finished Hwayugi ("A Korean Odyssey" on Netflix) and I'm laughing in frustration.

I sat through 20 episodes (= 30 hrs) of semi-coherent plot twists, mediocre special effects, Lee Seung gi's V-cut bangs, the leads repeating the same conflict-conversation about their relationship every two hours, that one outfit where the male lead wore a ribbon tie like Colonel Sanders, major apartment envy over Oh Yeon Seo's cute rooftop pad, and I was ready to forgive all that, because I was certain everything would be resolved with an unabashed celebratory happy ending. But nope. Things were left kind of open. Most of the characters talked about setting off on paths where things will probably work out eventually. But I wanted to see those resolutions play out on screen. I wanted a cheesy happily-ever-after for the main leads.

I'm usually ok with ambiguous or tragic endings. I even enjoy them most of the time. Catharsis can be, well, really cathartic. But with this show, I was invested in there being a happy ending. It was one of the rare times where I was counting down the number of minutes left in the finale (shit, only 3:02 minutes left) and panicking that they wouldn't have time to get everything together. Feeling vaguely dissatisfied right now.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm really struggling to finish Descendants of the Sun lol.. Pacing I think is its biggest problem even though a lot has happened, which is weird... It's tough brehs.

I do want to start Life and Children of Nobody.
It doesn't seem lke the director of KIngdom is the same. That director made the popular movie Tunnel before branching off with K-drama. Life even isn't the same director as Stranger. In fact Life does something differently by offering a letterboxd aspect ratio format with black bars at the top and bottom for a more film-like experience.

Honestly when it comes to writing, I always feel its better off to follow the writer than the director and I'm glad I did in this case. Life is really good.
ahh Ok. What did the writer of Life work on?

Just recommended Kingdom to two friends at work. If they love it, I will push them to Stranger or Misaeng lol

ANd thank god for that.
I think romance similar to Lawless Lawyer would be nice in Misaeng and Stranger. :S But it's difficult for Stranger since the main character's feelings are so muted. Maybe in season 2 :o