• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Saw the first episode of Kill It. I feel that it is a tiny bit rough. The start wasn't really interesting and drags on a bit but as it goes on it does improve a bit. Characters aren't holding my attention at the moment and the mystery isn't anything great so far. Action was pretty good so it does have that going for it.

That said, I feel that much of the quality and excitement from this show will be the relationship between the two leads. They haven't interacted much at this point so I'm going to give it two or three more episodes to decide whether I want to drop it or not.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Kill It - Episode 2

Still not fully sold on this drama. I feel that they are front loading too many mysterious pasts when they should reveal some of it over time. Beyond that, enjoyable stuff. Show is delivering some decent action and solid music. The main leads? Not sure about their chemistry yet. Feels stiff but there is time for it to improve.

brandonbrb

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Wow i didnt see this thread until now, time to read some recommendations.

My last kdrama was Liar game a month ago, not bad, the last part a little bit rush and force in the way of playing with memories so much and the final open to a posible second part break my general good opinion of the kdrama, but in general is fine.
tumblr_inline_pibkteLZZY1rkwf6l_540.gif

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
I just finished Hwayugi ("A Korean Odyssey" on Netflix) and I'm laughing in frustration.

I sat through 20 episodes (= 30 hrs) of semi-coherent plot twists, mediocre special effects, Lee Seung gi's V-cut bangs, the leads repeating the same conflict-conversation about their relationship every two hours, that one outfit where the male lead wore a ribbon tie like Colonel Sanders, major apartment envy over Oh Yeon Seo's cute rooftop pad, and I was ready to forgive all that, because I was certain everything would be resolved with an unabashed celebratory happy ending. But nope. Things were left kind of open. Most of the characters talked about setting off on paths where things will probably work out eventually. But I wanted to see those resolutions play out on screen. I wanted a cheesy happily-ever-after for the main leads.

I'm usually ok with ambiguous or tragic endings. I even enjoy them most of the time. Catharsis can be, well, really cathartic. But with this show, I was invested in there being a happy ending. It was one of the rare times where I was counting down the number of minutes left in the finale (shit, only 3:02 minutes left) and panicking that they wouldn't have time to get everything together. Feeling vaguely dissatisfied right now.

Yeah that pretty much sums up how I felt about my time with this show. It has some nice moments and fun scenarios but the overall feeling is one of wasted potential (and time). Zombie girl is the best thing about that show, easily. I'm so glad she got a lead part in The Crowned Clown.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
In other news, Clean With Passion for Now is just a couple of weeks away from being fully subbed on Viki. I've mentioned it before in the past but it is quite good if you like cute romantic comedies. It's downright, laugh out loud hilarious at times but the real reason to watch it is Kim Yu Jung. She is an awesome actress and also really, really beautiful.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm on episode 8 of Stranger/Secret Forest, and it's soooo good. I sacrificed sleep a few nights to watch 3 episodes at a time. It was worth it. Feel completely alert right now; not even yawning.

I've actually started and tried to watch the first ep a few times before this, but always gave up about 45 minutes into it. I'm not usually big on police/crime/legal shows. And I'm used to multitasking when I "watch" TV these days. But for a show like Stranger, I have to pay total attention to the screen, read all the subtitles or I miss big chunks of what's going on. Nice to know I still have the capacity to focus like that.

Yeah that pretty much sums up how I felt about my time with this show. It has some nice moments and fun scenarios but the overall feeling is one of wasted potential (and time). Zombie girl is the best thing about that show, easily. I'm so glad she got a lead part in The Crowned Clown.

Lee Se Young is one of my favorites.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wow i didnt see this thread until now, time to read some recommendations.

My last kdrama was Liar game a month ago, not bad, the last part a little bit rush and force in the way of playing with memories so much and the final open to a posible second part break my general good opinion of the kdrama, but in general is fine.
tumblr_inline_pibkteLZZY1rkwf6l_540.gif
1. Misaeng - hardcore work life, but it revolves around an incredible cast and a group of characters that all struggle and develop in different manners. 16 eps, 1 hour each. Best group of characters in a kdrama.
2. Stranger - Mystery drama starring a prosecutor who can't "feel" like normal human beings, along with badass cop trying to uncover murder and an unparalleled amount of corruption. Best mystery kdrama. Possibly season 2 this year?
3. Kingdom - Medievil times, undead zombies, filled with crazy action and a surprising amount of politics while the undead kill many in their path. Incredible leader/ main character. 6 eps, season 2 is confirmed to come.
4. The Smile Has Left Your Eyes - Really dark themes. Very dark main character and unlike the top 3, this involves romance. 16 eps. Crazy twists and quite an end to the show. Don't watch this if you want to feel happy or smile, that's reserved for number 7.
5. It's Ok, That's Love - So this is a sweet romance story. It has an amazing lead couple starring an arrogant, successful writer and a psychologist who end up living together with a warm/crazy doctor and one of the sweetest people in the world. The last few episodes will make you catch all kinds of fucking feelings, but it's insanely funny and has some amazing character moments and developments esp from the female lead and the other member that is part of the 4 that live in the house.
6. Something in the Rain - Pure romance. Younger guy who used to work for a US co. comes to Korea 3 years later and falls for his older sister's friend (and vice versa). Age and the sister on top of an insane fucking mother turn things upside down, but you know what you get based on the first two words of me describing this show.
7. Chief Kim - If you're looking for just comedy and straight up batshit crazy of the highest order, watch this. No romance.. unless you count the main lead guy and the villain guy (it's.. complicated lol). If you want to feel good and laugh your ass off, watch this show. Be warned that it somehow gets crazier over time. I still can't get over when Chief Kim is in "detention" and he terrorizes the entire building with his insane antics.

Netflix: Misaeng, Stranger, Kingdom, It's Ok That's Love, Something in the Rain.
Viki: The Smiles Has Left Your Eyes, Chief Kim.

I would highly recommend you watch Misaeng and Stranger. Those are not just 10/10 kdramas, they're 10/10 masterpieces of television cinema.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Kill It Episode 3

Oh man. For the most part I still wasn't hooked by the show so far while watching this episode. Things are impoving and I'm liking the two leads though it is still iffy a bit outside of them. Too many revelations/mysteries early on I feel.

But that end. Wew. Love how they handled it.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Kill It Episode 3

Oh man. For the most part I still wasn't hooked by the show so far while watching this episode. Things are impoving and I'm liking the two leads though it is still iffy a bit outside of them. Too many revelations/mysteries early on I feel.

But that end. Wew. Love how they handled it.

I can't wait for more episodes so I can start binging it :O

less

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for more episodes so I can start binging it :O

Yeah, this is probably one of those shows you are better of waiting for there to be a number of episodes before watching.

The show isn't perfect but it might be a diamond in the rough. Only time will tell.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Finished up Romance is a Bonus Book on Netflix last week. Overall I thought it was a strong show. Well acted, well shot and nicely produced all the way through. Probably one of the best I have seen at making the entire cast feel special and like real human beings with real quirks and personalities. The main couple was cute and their story was worth watching but what really elevates the show is how well the supporting cast is handled and how much they mattered in the overall scheme. Definitely recommended, and since the whole story revolves around a publishing company, even more so if you love books and the blood, sweat and tears that go into making a great one.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Any hidden identity drama recommendations? Gaksital (Bridal Mask) and Heartless City are so good, I need more of this trope.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
I just noticed Choi Siwon's new drama just started. (Choi Siwon the best ever 2nd maIe lead based on his performance in "She Was Pretty"!) It's called My Fellow Citizens and is on Viki.com and he's evidently playing a con man married to a detective. Also stars Kim Min Jung who was Kudo Hina in Mr Sunshine and was arguably the best played character in that show. Based on the cast alone, I am hype.

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
I actually haven't finished a Choi Siwon drama. I did like him in She Was Pretty, but I kinda hated everything else and I knew I was going to be angry because I preferred his character with the lead. I can't remember the name of the other one but I didn't like it either. Though, again I liked him in it I just hated everything else. I should try this new one.

I started He is Psychometric. I've only watched the first two episodes so far but I'm really enjoying it.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
She Was Pretty is a weird one. I started off hating the female lead and not liking the male lead much either. But for some reason I stuck with it (partly because of Siwon) and ended up really liking it. The female lead gets tons better and the supporting cast is fun and interesting.

I think I originally looked it up because of Park Seo Joon (who I usually like) but his character really does nothing for me in this particular show. Maybe it's because Siwon stole the screen every time he was on? Or because both he and the female lead (Hwang Jung Eum) had tons more personality? Either way, I don't think I've ever done a 180 on a show as hard as I did on She Was Pretty.

Last edited:

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ana from K2 may be one of the dumbest characters ever put on television, it's annoying towards the latter 1/3rd just watching her be a ditzy dumbo on every level. Choi Yoo-Jin is fantastic on the other hand and clearly the best damn thing about this show. Her acting is on another level from everyone.

I actually haven't finished a Choi Siwon drama. I did like him in She Was Pretty, but I kinda hated everything else and I knew I was going to be angry because I preferred his character with the lead. I can't remember the name of the other one but I didn't like it either. Though, again I liked him in it I just hated everything else. I should try this new one.

I started He is Psychometric. I've only watched the first two episodes so far but I'm really enjoying it.
She Was Pretty is a weird one. I started off hating the female lead and not liking the male lead much either. But for some reason I stuck with it (partly because of Siwon) and ended up really liking it. The female lead gets tons better and the supporting cast is fun and interesting.

I think I originally looked it up because of Park Seo Joon (who I usually like) but his character really does nothing for me in this particular show. Maybe it's because Siwon stole the screen every time he was on? Or because both he and the female lead (Hwang Jung Eum) had tons more personality? Either way, I don't think I've ever done a 180 on a show as hard as I did on She Was Pretty.
GOod to know I'm not the only one that thought he was clearly better as the main lead lol.. Park Seo Joon was just too much of an asshole for half the show.

I also don't like that kdramas essentially tell you who ends up with you in the titles. "Lead" "Lead" "Supporting Cast". It's bizarre that this kind of spoiler is just openly accepted in Korea. Why?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
as someone suffering from crippling second hand embarrassment i still can't bring myself to finish Life. It's great but one moment is particularly embarrassing for me

I might check that k-drama you spoke of about the con-man turning congressman, it sounds interesting

Sneijder

Oct 28, 2017
Cologne
Guys i watched with my ex a korean tv show, it was about a cook, which had only one arm, the other was broken. And he had a nice lovely team and compete against a big hotel restaurant, do you have the name of the show?

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
Neve did watch the first Save Me but I do like Esom.

I'm still enjoying He is Psychometic. I'm going to start Her Private Life soon.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Her Private Life soon
This is on my list too. I've become too big a fan of Park Min Young not to watch it. I've had less time for watching overall in the last few weeks but I have caught a few episodes of "Possessed" on Netflix and I like what I have seen. It's mostly suspense/horror but has just enough levity and heart to keep it from being overbearing. It's notable for me in being the second show in a row I have watched that starred Go Joon-Hee who played the very attractive best friend in "She Was Pretty".

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
There's an OT for these? SUBBED!

Last movie I watched was Extreme Jobs and it was freaking amazing.

Tried Sky Castle but only for 15 episodes, maube will finish it.

Now I'm gonna watch fiery priest, people citizen and banker

less

Oct 25, 2017
Neve did watch the first Save Me but I do like Esom.

I'm still enjoying He is Psychometic. I'm going to start Her Private Life soon.

Let me know what you think about it. Wasn't too interested by the premise but that isn't the best judge of a show.

There's an OT for these? SUBBED!

Last movie I watched was Extreme Jobs and it was freaking amazing.

Tried Sky Castle but only for 15 episodes, maube will finish it.

Now I'm gonna watch fiery priest, people citizen and banker

Welcome! I missed my chance to watch Extreme Job on the big screen. Seemed like it could have been a fun movie to see.

timeforsana

Oct 26, 2017
Not a drama but I'd recommend watching Korean Hotel in Spain. Super relaxing as all Na PD shows are. Cha Seung-won and Yoo Hae-jin reunited again and Bae Jung-nam is a good addition.

f131967659092224000(0).jpg

SushiMassage

Banned
Apr 5, 2019
Hardcore K-drama fan here lmao.

Finally catching up on Healer at the moment, what an amazing drama. Highly recommended.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Watched the first 4 episodes of Her Private Life and although it starts a little slowly by the time I finished episode 4 I wanted 5, 6 and the rest of them right away. Park Min Young is good in pretty much anything she does and the rest of the main cast is just as engaging. I hate the "jerk boss who turns lovey" trope and unfortunately you have to put up with that for about 1 episode but once that was over with I really started to enjoy it.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone loves Healer but I just can't get into it. T_T I think it's the Park Min Young curse. I can't enjoy any of her dramas for some reason.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
I think it's the Park Min Young curse. I can't enjoy any of her dramas for some reason.
!!!! How can this be?! Just kidding. Everyone has different likes and dislikes and favorite actors and actresses. I like Park Min Young a lot but can barely watch Lee Min Ho so I get it. Healer is still one of my faves though and is my wife's absolute favorite.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
!!!! How can this be?! Just kidding. Everyone has different likes and dislikes and favorite actors and actresses. I like Park Min Young a lot but can barely watch Lee Min Ho so I get it. Healer is still one of my faves though and is my wife's absolute favorite.

I don't like Lee Min Ho either.

As you can imagine, I dropped City Hunter so fast. lol

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
I don't like Lee Min Ho either.

As you can imagine, I dropped City Hunter so fast. lol
Yeah, me too actually! He has this perpetual smirk that works ok in some instances (Legend of the Blue Sea was tolerable) but was completely out of character in City Hunter. I didn't make it past the 2nd episode of that one.

brandonbrb

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I didnt like Lee Min Ho in The Heirs and in Healer for me Park Min Young dont match with Ji Chang-wook but even with that i enjoy Healer or The Heirs a lot.

Im a bite tired of Park Shin-hye for example, i like in some dramas like Pinoccio but in general i dont want to see more dramas where she is the lead actress, that`s the reason why i take some time between dramas, idk why in korea the same 3-5 actors appear in all the freaking best dramas.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
The whole scene where his "village" is being attacked, people are getting blown away and it's bloody death everywhere he looks completely out of character. I dunno, it just seemed like a giant block of cheese in what should have been a pretty serious scene.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Just watched the first episode of My Fellow Citizens on my lunch break and the pilot episode is killer. Probably one of the best initial episodes I have seen in a long, long while. It's helped out a lot by a soundtrack that is completely on point. Whoever picked out the songs used should get a raise.