• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
4 episodes into this.. damn this is a depressing show but the acting is quality. The part where the begging happened with the drunk guy and lunchbox.. whew, that's something else.

While I feel bad for the main lead chick (she's the same as Hotel Luna), she is a huge asshole at the same time. Hoping this changes in the future because she clearly lived a really bad, unfortunate life. So far into the first 4 eps, this a masochist run on how the main guy can get owned.

Can't wait for the scene when he finds out that his wife cheated on him and the first conversation together after that. The CEO is just a special kind of a piece of shit. Bangs his wife and creates a scenario to get him fired and unable to find jobs in his profession again. Special kind of scum.
It is bleak. For sure.
Seeing IU's character push her immobile grandmother in a supermarket shopping cart ruined me.
It's unsparing when looking at the faults of the characters. But - without spoiling too much - it's not hopeless. For me, the beauty of the show is that - even in impossible, desperate situations - human beings can choose to be decent. Sometimes that's our only salvation, and, despite all our flaws, it's what makes us so heartbreakingly precious and beautiful.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Not a Kdrama but has anyone seen Untamed? Is it actually yaoi or is it all yaoi bait?

jordran

Oct 25, 2017
Not a Kdrama but has anyone seen Untamed? Is it actually yaoi or is it all yaoi bait?

Not sure what counts as bait or not sorry! but while there is no physical "confirmation" the relationship is clearly romantic and it gave me that feeling throughout.
I absolutely loved the show as well, oh I haven't read the translation of the book tho

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I would enjoy kdrama more if there wasn't this tug of war between netflix and viki. And there are many things I'm not even getting in my country!!

Anyway, idk if I said it before but "The Fiery Priest" is fantastic and it is now on netflix. Blasphemous priest investigating the death of his mentor. It's super funny and also sad, I cried as much as I had hearty laughs. It's not meant to be edgy or anything, it's just about a lost, hothead guy who is having his faith tested in an unique way.

Also I'm still hoping for Stranger Season 2, I'm dying over here. I finished Life by the same writer, it is great. Great filming, great acting, lots of politics going over business and hospitals and it isn't just a "one side is bad", which is surprisingly convincing. I thought the melodrama was TOO strong in the last third but I enjoyed it a lot.

Now I'm trying to figure out what to watch next. I started Prison Playbook but I'm not sure if it will grab me all the way. I'm considering starting Misaeng, Signal or Dr.Romantic on Netflix. I still need to finish Watcher too but no Viki pass anymore...

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I would enjoy kdrama more if there wasn't this tug of war between netflix and viki. And there are many things I'm not even getting in my country!!

Anyway, idk if I said it before but "The Fiery Priest" is fantastic and it is now on netflix. Blasphemous priest investigating the death of his mentor. It's super funny and also sad, I cried as much as I had hearty laughs. It's not meant to be edgy or anything, it's just about a lost, hothead guy who is having his faith tested in an unique way.

Also I'm still hoping for Stranger Season 2, I'm dying over here. I finished Life by the same writer, it is great. Great filming, great acting, lots of politics going over business and hospitals and it isn't just a "one side is bad", which is surprisingly convincing. I thought the melodrama was TOO strong in the last third but I enjoyed it a lot.

Now I'm trying to figure out what to watch next. I started Prison Playbook but I'm not sure if it will grab me all the way. I'm considering starting Misaeng, Signal or Dr.Romantic on Netflix. I still need to finish Watcher too but no Viki pass anymore...
Stranger 2 is being filmed right now mate, it's coming summer of this year I think. Same writer, different director I think this time around.

Just need Misaeng/Incomplete Life season 2 and I will be happy.

I'm considering starting Misaeng,
giphy.gif

It's the goat kdrama. Watch it. Don't consider it. Also Signal is like Stranger but the last 1/3rd and the final are a bit of a letdown.

I'd recommend
1. Misaeng
2. Chief of Staff
big space
3. Signal

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Stranger 2 is being filmed right now mate, it's coming summer of this year I think. Same writer, different director I think this time around.

Just need Misaeng/Incomplete Life season 2 and I will be happy.

giphy.gif

It's the goat kdrama. Watch it. Don't consider it. Also Signal is like Stranger but the last 1/3rd and the final are a bit of a letdown.

I'd recommend
1. Misaeng
2. Chief of Staff
big space
3. Signal
Thanks I will do that. Can't wait for Stranger 2 and hope the new director is good

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Guardian: The Lonely and Great God, 9.4/10

Finished this. Great series. The theme of death is constant throughout, and you get a uniquely interesting ending. Fun characters with tons of personality and some great emotional moments. The bromance is ridiculous and hilarious. Can see why it's touted as one of the best kdramas around. Would have loved a bit more lore into Goblins, Grim Reapers, God, Mother, death etc. It kept things interesting due to the intrigue, but I would have loved a bit more lore nonetheless.

2/3rds into Mister, really fantastic show. Grim, depressing but really hits some high notes. The highlight is obviously the relationship between the girl and the man who is at this point acting like the father she needs. End of last episode is when he's playing soccer and has that conversation. Damn, that is rough. They really nail the believability of their conversations. Loving the younger bros and the actress relationship as well, I really hope those two have a happy ending. :(

Early into Reply 1988. Damn, this like Mister, is a crazy emotional show. Funnier and more relaxing in a lot of ways, but it pulls at the heart strings big time. I've seen Reply 1997 which is fantastic.. but I think that show does only two things better than 1988.
1. The present time is legitimately interesting and ties extremely well with the past, while in 1988 it's been shown twice and seems like it's just there
2. I legitimately didn't know who would be chosen in 1997 which made it very interesting until the last 3? episodes, in this one I feel it has to be the main guy.. it just seems more obvious.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
My Mister is my fave.. quite a few kdramas portray sinister sides of society, but this show actually managed to also avoid the goofy sitcom-like tropes of k dramas, and leave a more convincing overall impression.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Does it seem like there's more and more behind the Viki Plus paywall that's not available for the lower tier sub? And is it still a better option to sub to Kocowa directly rather than through Viki?

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Does it seem like there's more and more behind the Viki Plus paywall that's not available for the lower tier sub? And is it still a better option to sub to Kocowa directly rather than through Viki?
Viki Plus ($8.33/mo) is cheaper than paying for Viki Standard ($4.17/mo) + Kocowa ($6.99/mo) separately. But Kocowa uploads shows to their own service faster, and I just learned Kocowa adds subtitles faster too. If speed is important to you, then paying more might be worth it. If fast availability for the Kocowa shows isn't a priority, then getting the combo plan on Viki might be a better choice.

I always assumed that Viki Plus shows got subs at the same time as Kocowa. But I just checked "The Game" ep. 2 on both services. On Kocowa, it's fully subtitled. On Viki, it's only subbed 22% right now. I played scenes @14 min on both services, and Kocowa's is subbed. Viki's isn't. I guess Kocowa hands over the translation text files to Viki, but makes them time/insert it themselves? lol

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Viki Plus ($8.33/mo) is cheaper than paying for Viki Standard ($4.17/mo) + Kocowa ($6.99/mo) separately. But Kocowa uploads shows to their own service faster, and I just learned Kocowa adds subtitles faster too. If speed is important to you, then paying more might be worth it. If fast availability for the Kocowa shows isn't a priority, then getting the combo plan on Viki might be a better choice.

I always assumed that Viki Plus shows got subs at the same time as Kocowa. But I just checked "The Game" ep. 2 on both services. On Kocowa, it's fully subtitled. On Viki, it's only subbed 22% right now. I played scenes @14 min on both services, and Kocowa's is subbed. Viki's isn't. I guess Kocowa hands over the translation text files to Viki, but makes them time/insert it themselves? lol

Oh, does that mean Kocowa shows aren't subbed by the community, then? Seems weird that they just wouldn't hand over the subbed shows and just the scripts.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, does that mean Kocowa shows aren't subbed by the community, then? Seems weird that they just wouldn't hand over the subbed shows and just the scripts.
Yeah, you're right. I was mistaken. They're not the same translations. The Viki community must be translating them independently. I watched the first 10 seconds of The Game ep. 2, and the subtitles are different.

edit: I still wonder if they get a copy of the Kocowa translation text though. Because sometimes the word/phrase choices seem uncannily similar to each other. Since Viki's style is to translate closer to the original meanings of the words, maybe they adjust for that? I don't know. This is all speculation.

Last edited:

Shinshero

Oct 27, 2017
Hey , thought this would be the place to ask. Any Netflix Kdrama recommendations?

I've really enjoyed all types (Shows and movies) Iris, time between dog and wolf, and course my sassy girl , mighty princess (most of Kwak Jae-yong).

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
On Netflix (at least in my region):

Signal
Hello My Twenties/Age of Youth
My Country
Because this is My First Life

I'm missing some but that's off the top of my head.

There's also a couple I've finished but I wouldn't exactly recommend them.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've already watched Reply 1997 but am currently watching both Reply 1988 and 1994. I'm about half way into Reply 1988 and this show is a masterpiece. I'm not done with it, but I can tell this will likely be the best Reply series. The emotional hits are heavy and strong in this series and it's not just about the love triangle that every Reply series focuses on. The theme of family is one of the best in a TV show and is a constant in every single episode, as well as friendship which every Reply series also focuses on. Love how dynamic and different so many characters are but it all works. This will likely be one of my favourite TV shows ever once it's done.

Reply 1994 is a very fun series and great so far as well, but I don't think it's as good as 1997 or 1988. I'm only about 1/3rd of the way through though. :\ I gotta say Garbage is a much better character than what I expected based on episode 1, super caring for the entire group which I didn't get such an impression early on. I like how he takes care of the main lead as well. The episode with menopause episode made me think how I treat my mom since she acted at times similar the lead's mom in that episode...

All 3 on Netflix btw.. The Reply series are definitively some of the best dramas around though.

Hey , thought this would be the place to ask. Any Netflix Kdrama recommendations?

I've really enjoyed all types (Shows and movies) Iris, time between dog and wolf, and course my sassy girl , mighty princess (most of Kwak Jae-yong).
The two I always recommend to every single person is Misaeng (An Incomplete Life) and Stranger (Forest of Secrets). These two are the creme de la creme of kdrama, the apex.

The first is the toughest sell to anyone since it's mostly about several people in their mid twenties that start out originally as interns in the biggest sales company in South Korea. This has no action, it's all character and has some of the highest character moments ever in a TV show (up there with Breaking Bad). Several of the main characters can be the main character, and the manager of the main character is one of the best characters in fiction for me. Has so much heart and a ton of attitude. Love their specific team as well. Deals with failure in life, jealousy, others taking credit for your work, constant office politics, the theme of friendship and family, the effect of a long hours on someone and their family, sexism, competition etc. This is a show that hits the highs incredibly well, how happy, sad, unfair, etc. It dials them up to 10 many times. Watch the first two episodes and see how it is. 16 episodes, only 1 season. This show absolutely deserves another season. :(

The second one is totally different. Fast paced, it's about corruption, lies, betrayal, and uncovering the truth. It starts off with a normal death in episode 1 and layers upon layers start to undress as you figure out more of the bigger picture. This show has some of the best twists ever for a TV series. Will keep you wanting to see more at all times and just like Misaeng, has a killer sountrack. The main character is a prosecutor who doesn't feel emotion but is always going against an uphill battle to figure out who his enemies are and why they are doing what they're doing. He's paired with a woman whose a cop and they make an amazing alliance. Fantastic characters, but the story twists in this are incredible. 16 episodes, season 2 coming this year. :')

If you enjoy these two wanna know more, I'll throw a few others your way

On Netflix (at least in my region):

Signal
Hello My Twenties/Age of Youth
My Country
Because this is My First Life

I'm missing some but that's off the top of my head.

There's also a couple I've finished but I wouldn't exactly recommend them.
Looking up, I ranked Goblin 9.4 and I think Signal 9.1 but no way in hell is Goblin better than Signal. Signal is a masterpiece that fumbles towards the end and I don't like the surprise they had in the last few minutes at all. I was just really disappointed at those two aspects and went and rated the show right after lol

Last edited:

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My Mister 10/10

z5gs27.gif

Whew momma, this is some show. It really points how harsh and unfair life is in one of the best portrayals I have ever seen. If you want something sweet, run the hell away from this. It is sad and will put you in quite a somber mood no doubt, but it's a masterfully written show. Some of the best dialogue in terms of how realistic it is in fiction. Love the brother bond, the relationships, damn this show really hits the emotional highs in terms of loniless, living the hard life, not being loved, cheating, etc and raises them to 10. The main lead Ji-an has lived an awful life and even though much is kept secret, you buy it. Then you have Dong-hoon, who on the surface has lived a great life. Yet, he hasn't lived at his fullest.

Some lessons there with his best friend and his ex, when she is cleaning and going to sleep.. Jesus, that is rough, rough to watch. When you see the failure of his younger brother or what unfolds of Dong's relationship, ouch. The grandma is one of the sweetest people in the world and the way Ji-an is taken care of by the neighborhood at the end is really touching. Something she clearly hasn't had in life.

They do a good job of showing good people doing bad things even if unintentional and even terrible people doing good things, making characters far more gray and realistic rather than x = good/bad person. Even the prick loan shark had some amazing moments at the end of the series
when he is listening to the video tape was one of the best moments..
"It's a shame how one person can torture two people" Or something along those lines
"Son of a bitch" Kwang-il getting pissed off at Dong-hoon showing sympathy despite about him despite the fact he hates himself

Also the speech of "he's tortured by the fact that he liked me as a kid" and vice versa was amazing.

This has some of the best characters in a TV show but again, don't watch it if you want to see something sweet and feel good about.

papermoon ,
fighting.gif

Good suggestion mate.

Got a few questions..
- Is he married still? It stated that "the boy's mom" instead of "my wife" when she went to the States, this indicates that they're divorced, right?
- Am I the only one that finds it really, really bizarre those two didn't keep up in possibly years (time is not certain here)? This makes no sense to me. Why would they give each other time instead of seeing one another?
- Also, does the end imply that they may get together? It's weird since he's twice as old as her.. if she was 31 instead of 21? than I'd buy it.. It honestly feels like the director clearly implied that yet didn't fully commit since fans of the show might get creeped out. :\

Also, I don't like how scott free the wife got for cheating on her husband for a whole year with the CEO of his company who they all knew since university. Like cmon. Granted, I have a different policy to cheating but that is a no go. I liked that they showed his negatives as a husband and part of the reason that pushed her to do it, but don't like how easy she got off for it.

It was very sweet to see her move on with her life though. Nice to see to

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
My Mister 10/10

z5gs27.gif

Whew momma, this is some show. It really points how harsh and unfair life is in one of the best portrayals I have ever seen. If you want something sweet, run the hell away from this. It is sad and will put you in quite a somber mood no doubt, but it's a masterfully written show. Some of the best dialogue in terms of how realistic it is in fiction. Love the brother bond, the relationships, damn this show really hits the emotional highs in terms of loniless, living the hard life, not being loved, cheating, etc and raises them to 10. The main lead Ji-an has lived an awful life and even though much is kept secret, you buy it. Then you have Dong-hoon, who on the surface has lived a great life. Yet, he hasn't lived at his fullest.

Some lessons there with his best friend and his ex, when she is cleaning and going to sleep.. Jesus, that is rough, rough to watch. When you see the failure of his younger brother or what unfolds of Dong's relationship, ouch. The grandma is one of the sweetest people in the world and the way Ji-an is taken care of by the neighborhood at the end is really touching. Something she clearly hasn't had in life.

They do a good job of showing good people doing bad things even if unintentional and even terrible people doing good things, making characters far more gray and realistic rather than x = good/bad person. Even the prick loan shark had some amazing moments at the end of the series
"It's a shame how one person can torture two people" Or something along those lines
"Son of a bitch" Kwang-il getting pissed off at Dong-hoon showing sympathy despite about him despite the fact he hates himself

Also the speech of "he's tortured by the fact that he liked me as a kid" and vice versa was amazing.

This has some of the best characters in a TV show but again, don't watch it if you want to see something sweet and feel good about.

papermoon ,
fighting.gif

Good suggestion mate.

Got a few questions..
- Is he married still? It stated that "the boy's mom" instead of "my wife" when she went to the States, this indicates that they're divorced, right?
- Am I the only one that finds it really, really bizarre those two didn't keep up in possibly years (time is not certain here)? This makes no sense to me. Why would they give each other time instead of seeing one another?
- Also, does the end imply that they may get together? It's weird since he's twice as old as her.. if she was 31 instead of 21? than I'd buy it.. It honestly feels like the director clearly implied that yet didn't fully commit since fans of the show might get creeped out. :\

Also, I don't like how scott free the wife got for cheating on her husband for a whole year with the CEO of his company who they all knew since university. Like cmon. Granted, I have a different policy to cheating but that is a no go. I liked that they showed his negatives as a husband and part of the reason that pushed her to do it, but don't like how easy she got off for it.

Classic!

I don't think anything indicated that they'd get together, nor was there any real foundation for that in the show either . The end was a sweet suggestion that life goes on, nothing more than that.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Two episodes way from finishing Something in the Rain. I don't want this to end =(. Maybe it's because it has been long time since I watched quality romance drama but really love this and chemistry between the leads. I could watch 20 episodes of them being just lovely dovey without any drama. Also damn the mother is crazyyyyy.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My Mister 10/10

z5gs27.gif

papermoon ,
fighting.gif

Good suggestion mate.

Got a few questions..

Yes! It's a masterful show, and that is one masterful review.

Responding to your questions:

Is he married still? Yes. He says one reason why he isn't living with her abroad is that "foreigners" really look down on you if you don't speak English. So, the implication is it's too difficult for him to make the cultural/language shift of living in the U.S. If they were divorced, then they wouldn't need to mention this extra obstacle to him living with her.

Also, since the 1960s, Koreans emigrating from Korea or working/studying abroad for an extended time even if they don't fully emigrate is a pretty common thing. It's not that uncommon for married couples to physically live in two different countries for extended periods while one spouse is abroad. They're still married. It's not even considered a legal "separation." In this case, it's convenient that one spouse doesn't have to face the daily embarrassment of having been caught cheating with the jerk who was trying to tear her husband down. And maybe, in a lot of these situations, there are secret reasons (incompatibility, conflict) for couples to live apart like that. But often, these married couples living in separate countries do so for legit work or education reasons.

Why didn't they see each other or stay in contact all those years? I think they both knew that she was in love with him, and it was an impossible situation so that was part of it. They'd been through something traumatic and intense, and sometimes people react in ways you don't expect. You may automatically give each other space to process it. And she needed the space, probably, to develop and grow into who she eventually became. And maybe there'd be too many rumors or scandals if they continued to associate with each other too closely. So it was a move to protect her and give her the best chance to succeed. Conveniently, she moved to distant Busan, so less chance of her calling him up and asking him to buy her dinner.

Did they get together after? I hope not. He's still married. And in the previous years, even though she would throw herself at him and made her affection plain, he never came close to breaching that boundary. Even when his bros would talk kind of in a tawdry way about him associating with a co-worker in her early 20s, he wasn't having any of it. He stopped it right away, and he always called her a "kid." I would hope he would still act in her (and his) best interests, and that she maybe grew out of her crush, and that they wouldn't get into a situation where she was having an "affair" with a married man. To me, the reunion looked like a re-connection of two people who saw the full humanity of each other and accepted one another. And it was like a special gift for them that they ran into each other again. I expect they'll stay in touch more often, but I hope they don't act on any romantic feelings.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Two episodes way from finishing Something in the Rain. I don't want this to end =(. Maybe it's because it has been long time since I watched quality romance drama but really love this and chemistry between the leads. I could watch 20 episodes of them being just lovely dovey without any drama. Also damn the mother is crazyyyyy.
Have you watched One Spring Night? Same director. Same male lead. Very similar vibe, though slightly more chaste romance scenes, because it aired on broadcast TV in Korea, as opposed to cable. I loved One Spring Night. I preferred it to Something in the Rain. If you want, you could keep the feeling going by seguing right away into OSN.

The same actress plays a mother in both shows, but her character is very very different in One Spring Night. It really made me appreciate the actress.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Have you watched One Spring Night? Same director. Same male lead. Very similar vibe, though slightly more chaste romance scenes, because it aired on broadcast TV in Korea, as opposed to cable. I loved One Spring Night. I preferred it to Something in the Rain. If you want, you could keep the feeling going by seguing right away into OSN.

The same actress plays a mother in both shows, but her character is very very different in One Spring Night. It really made me appreciate the actress.

Yeah. I started One Spring Night almost immediately after Something in the Rain. Again two episodes away from the end lol (night shifts at work are perfect for some netflix binge wathing). Also very solid drama. I actually agree that overall this is better drama but I just love Son Ye-Jin (one of my celebrity crushes since teenage years) too much so that evens things out between the two. Also this has like 80% of the cast of Something in the Rain lol.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. I started One Spring Night almost immediately after Something in the Rain. Again two episodes away from the end lol (night shifts at work are perfect for some netflix binge wathing). Also very solid drama. I actually agree that overall this is better drama but I just love Son Ye-Jin (one of my celebrity crushes since teenage years) too much so that evens things out between the two. Also this has like 80% of the cast of Something in the Rain lol.
I can understand loving Son YeJin. She's adorable and compelling on screen. Her latest drama Crash Landing On You is getting crazy popular.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand loving Son YeJin. She's adorable and compelling on screen. Her latest drama Crash Landing On You is getting crazy popular.

Oh yeah. Read about that. Netflix is stated as international distributor so I assume it will come to Netflix too someday. Can't wait.

Edit. Really loved the ending episode of One Spring Night. No bullshit drama during the last episode and just happy feelings =)

Last edited:

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah. Read about that. Netflix is stated as international distributor so I assume it will come to Netflix too someday. Can't wait.

Edit. Really loved the ending episode of One Spring Night. No bullshit drama during the last episode and just happy feelings =)
In the U.S., Crash Landing is airing weekly on Netflix. I don't know if or when it's going to finish, but eps are up there now. Yeah, big points to One Spring Night for plot: how they paced it, resolved it.

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
In the U.S., Crash Landing is airing weekly on Netflix. I don't know if or when it's going to finish, but eps are up there now. Yeah, big points to One Spring Night for plot: how they paced it, resolved it.

Crash Landing on You ends next weekend. I've really enjoyed it. Still need to watch the last two episodes.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Crash Landing on You ends next weekend. I've really enjoyed it. Still need to watch the last two episodes.
Sounds like perfect timing to start a binge. These days, I'm watching an MBC weekend drama "Never Twice" on Kocowa, and the weekly wait is killing me. Sometimes, they don't air one week because of a holiday, and I feel extra deprived.

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like perfect timing to start a binge. These days, I'm watching an MBC weekend drama "Never Twice" on Kocowa, and the weekly wait is killing me. Sometimes, they don't air one week because of a holiday, and I feel extra deprived.

I will warn you that the later episodes are really long and the story itself is a bit ridiculous. But if you can accept that, it's great and really funny at times. Hyun Bin and Son Ye Jin have good chemistry.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I will warn you that the later episodes are really long and the story itself is a bit ridiculous. But if you can accept that, it's great and really funny at times. Hyun Bin and Son Ye Jin have good chemistry.
Thanks for the heads up. If I dim my expectations just a touch, I find it ups my enjoyment in the end. I'll roll with whatever the drama throws at us.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017

Oh. Seems that to finnish Netflix it comes at the end of this month. Can't wait. Any other solid dramas in Netflix? Seen now Vagabond, Something in the Rain and One Spring Night.

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
We finished it the other day, and I'm about 2/3rds through the novel translation, and both are amazing. The book is much more explicit about the two main characters' relationship, but both are very sweet, and the overarching plot is extremely intricate and full of interesting turns.

I would say that the first two episodes are a little confusing at first, but the third through thirty-third episodes are all flashback and slowly add context to that bewildering intro. It's a different structure than the novel, but it works really well for the format imo.

And the novel is good! We got really into Fights Break Sphere last year, and because it ended on a malicious tease of a cliffhanger, I tried reading Battle Through the Heavens, the original best-selling novel, and it is so filled with misogyny and the tedious numerology of the world's qi cultivation system that the show mercifully edited out. The Untamed's novel, Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation, reads more like a supernatural mystery novel, and I only wish it were 1400 chapters long like the other one.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I was an episode away from finishing Inheritors. Watched most of it awhile back and just needed to finish it. 7.2/10

giphy.gif

Unlike Something in the rain, it's filled with a lot of cheese. Some likeable characters, but it's just allright to pretty good, fluctuating. I don't think it does anything necessarily bad, the main lead actress is sweet but overall it's not remarkable or special. Plot is ok, music is pretty good, characters are between solid to some funny, and a few great ones. Main lead actor was just ok for me. :\

It's a typical story of rich guys falling for girls that are poor, filled with plenty of coincidental moments to align everything for the story. The standout was Choi Young-do, who is the asshole antagonist to the main character who also happens to fall for Eun-sang. I liked his character arc and found his moments pretty interesting, I just wish there more interesting characters like him in the show. The actor who plays Kim Won gets more interesting, and you gotta feel for him in the finale. He plays in Tunnel and even though it's not too bad, I do feel like he overacts a little bit :S I just checked and saw who park hyung sik was in this series LMAO

giphy.gif

Watch it if you want.. I guess lol

Yeah the mother is absolutley nuts, I hated her? What's your final thoughts on this? This is one of the best roms without the unnecessary and typical cheese that surrounds the shows. I loved it when I watched it. I think I will start One Sprint Night at some point.

Last edited:

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am one episode away from finishing Life, a medical drama. I can see how Cho Seung-Woo got cast as the main lead for Stranger after watching this, very similar in mannerism, personality. Great show and has some good intrigue. Not amazing but great show. Politics, backstabbing, Medicine and how money runs on top of it all. It feels slow at times but I really love the cast and characters.

Will give a proper review once I finish it :)

-

Also, any of yall watching Itaewon Class? 4 episodes, 2 per week coming out Fri-Sat on Netflix right.

It starts Park Seo-joon, guy who is in Secretary Kim and Fight My Way. Really enjoyable and the show is coming into its own. I still don't know if they plan to make the father the main villain, the son, or have the son redeem himself to work against the father towards the end. It's bizarre since the son seems so guilty early on and then post timeskip, he has no sympathy which is weird?! It was also bizarre watching both have literal anime laughs in the show after watching a masterpiece, down to earth show like Reply 1988 (still need to finish it).

This guy can obviously carry shows because unlike Inheritors, he oozes charisma no matter what character he plays. #beast
park-seojoon-itaewon-class.gif

I think four episodes in, my favourite even more than PSJ is Jo Yi-Seo. The smart girl that can do everything, which will be needed to go who they are going against. Really liked the episode explaining the dummy on his team, really likeable character and felt really bad for the guy. The preview will show that the next will heavily focus on the cook. It's hilarious when he spread his legs and she threw a towel at him. I had to go look online to see if it was a woman or a man, and then I saw where they're going to go with it.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh. Seems that to finnish Netflix it comes at the end of this month. Can't wait. Any other solid dramas in Netflix? Seen now Vagabond, Something in the Rain and One Spring Night.
The Reply series that Dragoon mentioned upthread is on Netflix. They're pretty popular and highly regarded. Three separate series. Reply 1997. Reply 1994. Reply 1988. They're nostalgic looks at Korea during those years focused on a family and their extended friends. Different family/characters for each series - although there are some cameo appearances, and the same actors play the "parents" in each of those shows. Comedy, romance, friendship, social commentary, slice of life, nostalgia. Definitely worth a look.

Secret Affair, also on Netflix. I mention this because it's by the same director as OSN and SITR. But it's very different. This time, it's an extramarital love affair between a young 20-something underprivileged piano prodigy and a 40-something executive at a school foundation. Cheating is a sensitive subject. Some people can't tolerate shows about it at all, but I recommend this still, because it's one of those most beautifully-shot and sophisticated Korean dramas I've ever seen. It's about more than "cheating." It's about social status and corruption, what we sacrifice for priorities that weren't the keys to our fulfillment in the first place, and finding integrity in difficult situations.

Oh My Ghost - Netflix has a few Park Bo Young shows, but this is my favorite. It also has another of my faves Kim Seulgi. Romance between chefs and a ghost with unfinished business. Yes, there's a ghost, but overall the vibe is pretty playful. The two main women characters are irresistible, and the plot is solid.

Fight My Way - this is on Viki, but it's free to watch. You don't even need to log in, and you can use a browser with an ad-blocker. I have so much affection for this drama. There are some dark spots, but it's mostly a plucky, colorful, playful vibe. It's about 20-somethings trying to make it. The leads are an MMA fighter and a would-be broadcast announcer. They're two of my favorite actors Park Seo Joon and Kim Ji Won, and they're adorable in it.

Also, any of yall watching Itaewon Class? 4 episodes, 2 per week coming out Fri-Sat on Netflix right.
I watched the first two eps. Definitely plan on catching up with this. It's on my list.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the mother is absolutley nuts, I hated her? What's your final thoughts on this? This is one of the best roms without the unnecessary and typical cheese that surrounds the shows. I loved it when I watched it. I think I will start One Sprint Night at some point.

Well I wasn't really fan of the two last episodes. I mean almost every drama has that final conflict during last episodes but here it literally lasted until 5 last minutes. Much preferred the ending episodes of One Spring Night where the drama was mostly resolved during second last episode and last episode was more smooth sailing.

The Reply series that Dragoon mentioned upthread is on Netflix. They're pretty popular and highly regarded. Three separate series. Reply 1997. Reply 1994. Reply 1988. They're nostalgic looks at Korea during those years focused on a family and their extended friends. Different family/characters for each series - although there are some cameo appearances, and the same actors play the "parents" in each of those shows. Comedy, romance, friendship, social commentary, slice of life, nostalgia. Definitely worth a look.

Secret Affair, also on Netflix. I mention this because it's by the same director as OSN and SITR. But it's very different. This time, it's an extramarital love affair between a young 20-something underprivileged piano prodigy and a 40-something executive at a school foundation. Cheating is a sensitive subject. Some people can't tolerate shows about it at all, but I recommend this still, because it's one of those most beautifully-shot and sophisticated Korean dramas I've ever seen. It's about more than "cheating." It's about social status and corruption, what we sacrifice for priorities that weren't the keys to our fulfillment in the first place, and finding integrity in difficult situations.

Oh My Ghost - Netflix has a few Park Bo Young shows, but this is my favorite. It also has another of my faves Kim Seulgi. Romance between chefs and a ghost with unfinished business. Yes, there's a ghost, but overall the vibe is pretty playful. The two main women characters are irresistible, and the plot is solid.

Fight My Way - this is on Viki, but it's free to watch. You don't even need to log in, and you can use a browser with an ad-blocker. I have so much affection for this drama. There are some dark spots, but it's mostly a plucky, colorful, playful vibe. It's about 20-somethings trying to make it. The leads are an MMA fighter and a would-be broadcast announcer. They're two of my favorite actors Park Seo Joon and Kim Ji Won, and they're adorable in it.

I watched the first two eps. Definitely plan on catching up with this. It's on my list.

Thanks. Gonna check these out when I have time.

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017

It starts Park Seo-joon, guy who is in Secretary Kim and Fight My Way. Really enjoyable and the show is coming into its own. I still don't know if they plan to make the father the main villain, the son, or have the son redeem himself to work against the father towards the end. It's bizarre since the son seems so guilty early on and then post timeskip, he has no sympathy which is weird?! It was also bizarre watching both have literal anime laughs in the show after watching a masterpiece, down to earth show like Reply 1988 (still need to finish it).

This guy can obviously carry shows because unlike Inheritors, he oozes charisma no matter what character he plays. #beast
park-seojoon-itaewon-class.gif

I think four episodes in, my favourite even more than PSJ is Jo Yi-Seo. The smart girl that can do everything, which will be needed to go who they are going against. Really liked the episode explaining the dummy on his team, really likeable character and felt really bad for the guy. The preview will show that the next will heavily focus on the cook. It's hilarious when he spread his legs and she threw a towel at him. I had to go look online to see if it was a woman or a man, and then I saw where they're going to go with it.

Yep, I'm watching it. Park Seo Joon is amazing in it, in particular the end/beginning of episode 1 & 2. Haven't seen the fourth episode though.

The characters in the bar are interesting so far and I'm really curious about the black character (who we haven't seen yet).

It's based on a comic.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I'm watching it. Park Seo Joon is amazing in it, in particular the end/beginning of episode 1 & 2. Haven't seen the fourth episode though.

The characters in the bar are interesting so far and I'm really curious about the black character (who we haven't seen yet).

It's based on a comic.

I watched eps 3 & 4 last night. What did I do!? Now I have another show I have to wait for weekly as it airs. With the intro of Jo Yi Seo, this show became 100 times more interesting. This feels like it's going to be a fun ride.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Well I wasn't really fan of the two last episodes. I mean almost every drama has that final conflict during last episodes but here it literally lasted until 5 last minutes. Much preferred the ending episodes of One Spring Night where the drama was mostly resolved during second last episode and last episode was more smooth sailing.
Ouuu I see.. I still loved it, one of the best romance series I have watched, including the ending. But yes, everything adds to that last 5 minutes.
What are you into mate? May be easy to recommend then.. I'll copy paste and update a previous post from my view giving you everything

1. Misaeng - hardcore work life, but it revolves around an incredible cast and a group of characters that all struggle and develop in different manners. 16 eps, 1 hour each. Best group of characters in a kdrama.
2. Stranger - Mystery drama starring a prosecutor who can't "feel" like normal human beings, along with badass cop trying to uncover murder and an unparalleled amount of corruption. Best mystery kdrama. Possibly season 2 this year?
3. Kingdom - Medievil times, undead zombies, filled with crazy action and a surprising amount of politics while the undead kill many in their path. Incredible leader/ main character. 6 eps, season 2 is confirmed to come.
4. The Smile Has Left Your Eyes - Really dark themes. Very dark main character and unlike the top 3, this involves romance. 16 eps. Crazy twists and quite an end to the show. Don't watch this if you want to feel happy or smile, that's reserved for number 7.
5. It's Ok, That's Love - So this is a sweet romance story. It has an amazing lead couple starring an arrogant, successful writer and a psychologist who end up living together with a warm/crazy doctor and one of the sweetest people in the world. The last few episodes will make you catch all kinds of fucking feelings, but it's insanely funny and has some amazing character moments and developments esp from the female lead and the other member that is part of the 4 that live in the house. Was pulled from Netflix unfortunately, don't know where to find it.
6. Something in the Rain - Pure romance. Younger guy who used to work for a US co. comes to Korea 3 years later and falls for his older sister's friend (and vice versa). Age and the sister on top of an insane fucking mother turn things upside down, but you know what you get based on the first two words of me describing this show.
7. Chief Kim - If you're looking for just comedy and straight up batshit crazy of the highest order, watch this. No romance.. unless you count the main lead guy and the villain guy (it's.. complicated lol). If you want to feel good and laugh your ass off, watch this show. Be warned that it somehow gets crazier over time. I still can't get over when Chief Kim is in "detention" and he terrorizes the entire building with his insane antics.
8. Reply series: 1997, 1994, 1988 - Amazing series that has a timeline to show who a woman chooses to marry, showing before and after. A guessing game on which person she picks. On top of this, you get some truly amazing character moments. Goes through all aspects of life and school to adulthood. 1997 is amazing, still watching 94 and 88, with 88 being the best and 94 being the weakest so far for me. All have been added on Netflix now :o

Yes! It's a masterful show, and that is one masterful review.

Responding to your questions:

Is he married still? Yes. He says one reason why he isn't living with her abroad is that "foreigners" really look down on you if you don't speak English. So, the implication is it's too difficult for him to make the cultural/language shift of living in the U.S. If they were divorced, then they wouldn't need to mention this extra obstacle to him living with her.

Also, since the 1960s, Koreans emigrating from Korea or working/studying abroad for an extended time even if they don't fully emigrate is a pretty common thing. It's not that uncommon for married couples to physically live in two different countries for extended periods while one spouse is abroad. They're still married. It's not even considered a legal "separation." In this case, it's convenient that one spouse doesn't have to face the daily embarrassment of having been caught cheating with the jerk who was trying to tear her husband down. And maybe, in a lot of these situations, there are secret reasons (incompatibility, conflict) for couples to live apart like that. But often, these married couples living in separate countries do so for legit work or education reasons.

Why didn't they see each other or stay in contact all those years? I think they both knew that she was in love with him, and it was an impossible situation so that was part of it. They'd been through something traumatic and intense, and sometimes people react in ways you don't expect. You may automatically give each other space to process it. And she needed the space, probably, to develop and grow into who she eventually became. And maybe there'd be too many rumors or scandals if they continued to associate with each other too closely. So it was a move to protect her and give her the best chance to succeed. Conveniently, she moved to distant Busan, so less chance of her calling him up and asking him to buy her dinner.

Did they get together after? I hope not. He's still married. And in the previous years, even though she would throw herself at him and made her affection plain, he never came close to breaching that boundary. Even when his bros would talk kind of in a tawdry way about him associating with a co-worker in her early 20s, he wasn't having any of it. He stopped it right away, and he always called her a "kid." I would hope he would still act in her (and his) best interests, and that she maybe grew out of her crush, and that they wouldn't get into a situation where she was having an "affair" with a married man. To me, the reunion looked like a re-connection of two people who saw the full humanity of each other and accepted one another. And it was like a special gift for them that they ran into each other again. I expect they'll stay in touch more often, but I hope they don't act on any romantic feelings.
Yeah, them needing space because she's so in love with him makes perfect sense.

I hate the fact that he's married. Cheating is one thing that shouldn't be tolerated. She was having very little empathy early on and clearly thinking about her new man at the time. Even though he played a role pushing her away so he deserves plenty of blame from the deteriorating relationship. I just can't get on board with it.

Also find it super bizarre that they send their kid away instead of keeping him in Korea until he's 18 and put him in classes for English..

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Ouuu I see.. I still loved it, one of the best romance series I have watched, including the ending. But yes, everything adds to that last 5 minutes.

What are you into mate? May be easy to recommend then.. I'll copy paste and update a previous post from my view giving you everything

1. Misaeng - hardcore work life, but it revolves around an incredible cast and a group of characters that all struggle and develop in different manners. 16 eps, 1 hour each. Best group of characters in a kdrama.
2. Stranger - Mystery drama starring a prosecutor who can't "feel" like normal human beings, along with badass cop trying to uncover murder and an unparalleled amount of corruption. Best mystery kdrama. Possibly season 2 this year?
3. Kingdom - Medievil times, undead zombies, filled with crazy action and a surprising amount of politics while the undead kill many in their path. Incredible leader/ main character. 6 eps, season 2 is confirmed to come.
4. The Smile Has Left Your Eyes - Really dark themes. Very dark main character and unlike the top 3, this involves romance. 16 eps. Crazy twists and quite an end to the show. Don't watch this if you want to feel happy or smile, that's reserved for number 7.
5. It's Ok, That's Love - So this is a sweet romance story. It has an amazing lead couple starring an arrogant, successful writer and a psychologist who end up living together with a warm/crazy doctor and one of the sweetest people in the world. The last few episodes will make you catch all kinds of fucking feelings, but it's insanely funny and has some amazing character moments and developments esp from the female lead and the other member that is part of the 4 that live in the house. Was pulled from Netflix unfortunately, don't know where to find it.
6. Something in the Rain - Pure romance. Younger guy who used to work for a US co. comes to Korea 3 years later and falls for his older sister's friend (and vice versa). Age and the sister on top of an insane fucking mother turn things upside down, but you know what you get based on the first two words of me describing this show.
7. Chief Kim - If you're looking for just comedy and straight up batshit crazy of the highest order, watch this. No romance.. unless you count the main lead guy and the villain guy (it's.. complicated lol). If you want to feel good and laugh your ass off, watch this show. Be warned that it somehow gets crazier over time. I still can't get over when Chief Kim is in "detention" and he terrorizes the entire building with his insane antics.
8. Reply series: 1997, 1994, 1988 - Amazing series that has a timeline to show who a woman chooses to marry, showing before and after. A guessing game on which person she picks. On top of this, you get some truly amazing character moments. Goes through all aspects of life and school to adulthood. 1997 is amazing, still watching 94 and 88, with 88 being the best and 94 being the weakest so far for me. All have been added on Netflix now :o

Pretty much all goes with me. Thrillers, comedy, action, romance etc. With romance though as I have gotten older (29 this year) I have started to like more of those that have more mature themes and not some teenage romance drama. From that list I have seen Stranger, Kingdom and obviously Something in the Rain. Also watched Iris and its spin off back in day and loved those. Regarding of that fourth show on the list and your warning it reminds me that for some reason with korean thriller movies I kind of dig that they so often have sad or bittersweet endings but when it comes to romance dramas I always want happy ending lol . Thanks for recommendations!

less

Oct 25, 2017
Just started watching Crash Landing on You and it's good! Liking the characterization so far and the comedy is pretty good from what I've seen (episode 1). Hopefully it'll remain as well shot and amusing.

Anyone mind telling me if the melodrama in here might become a bit too much?

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I start watching 1988 on Netflix but unfortunately it's missing scenes and a lot of music has been replaced.

Currently 1994 and 1997 aren't on Netflix (Netherlands) but are they also edited?

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
Just started watching Crash Landing on You and it's good! Liking the characterization so far and the comedy is pretty good from what I've seen (episode 1). Hopefully it'll remain as well shot and amusing.

Anyone mind telling me if the melodrama in here might become a bit too much?

I don't find the melodrama too much. The comedy remains good throughout. If you accept the basic premise that she got to North Korea through a tornado, then you should be good for the rest of the show. Even when you have to suspend your disbelief for some of it.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Pretty much all goes with me. Thrillers, comedy, action, romance etc. With romance though as I have gotten older (29 this year) I have started to like more of those that have more mature themes and not some teenage romance drama. From that list I have seen Stranger, Kingdom and obviously Something in the Rain. Also watched Iris and its spin off back in day and loved those. Regarding of that fourth show on the list and your warning it reminds me that for some reason with korean thriller movies I kind of dig that they so often have sad or bittersweet endings but when it comes to romance dramas I always want happy ending lol . Thanks for recommendations!
Watch Misaeng first. That's why it's number 1 on the list.

tenor.gif

I start watching 1988 on Netflix but unfortunately it's missing scenes and a lot of music has been replaced.

Currently 1994 and 1997 aren't on Netflix (Netherlands) but are they also edited?
Hmm since I never watched this anywhere else, I didn't know they did this :\

Last edited:

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Early impressions, a few eps into Tell Me What You Saw on viki.. Crime thriller drama involving serial killers, detectives and some foul play. I saw that it was a 9.7 rating on viki and started watching. Almost everything is great.. but lol is the writing fucking awful at times.

- The speech the doctor gave after her mom died literally made no sense. No one just comes out and says, no one just leaves, and no one is almost disgusted like he was when the dad goes to him.

giphy.gif

The detective chief unless he is involved in episode 3, it makes zero sense for him to be as involved as it's essentially comical how much he'd rather have the other team catch the killer.

Also, I hope other characters in the team get some shine. They spent much of episode 1 to show how stupid the main lead is and yet she's been absolutely on an unstoppable tear, crushing it at every angle catching killers. Even her two teammates in the beginning were cartoony-tier in terms of not letting her talk even after she found the earring link. A lot of little things like that that don't make sense.

Watched end of ep 4. Apparenly cops watch people getting killed in front of them with zero reactions

giphy.gif

I'm enjoying it, but damn is the writing so dumb in parts. The guy in the wheelchair whoever he is, oozes mad charisma. This is the dumber version of Watcher. If Watcher was a B-level Stranger, this is a C+-level I'd say. :\ I still want to see what happens though, because I've yet to be bored regardless of some of this ridiculous writing. Shame because acting, music and just about everything else is on point. A proper rated R series also, doesn't hold anything back. I was shook when the main lead went inside that room with those things hanging upwards.

Last edited:

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Watch Misaeng first. That's why it's number 1 on the list.

tenor.gif

Hmm since I never watched this anywhere else, I didn't know they did this :\
Unfortunately, the OST is missing a lot of music (most likely because of licensing). They have also blurred out some things in the netflix version. (like certain Manga)

Most anoying is the removal of small scenes.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Just watched The Liar And His Lover. It was OK. Wasn't a big fan of the male lead but pretty much watched all of it for Park Soo Young. She's great, although her character wasn't written too well, but anyway, for a music drama it was fine I guess.

Any recommendations for romantic dramas? I tried watching Crash Landing but the plot isn't good. The leads deserve better lol.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Finished Life, a medical drama

8.4/10

36534907ad240f25e5b1c74737053055.gif

A great series, with an awesome cast. Mature relationships which I quite dug and the reason he said he wouldn't date a certain someone was really touching.. and quite a monumental sacrifice despite it being stated quickly and never mentioned again. Great family, love their bond. Politics and money run the hospital and you don't know whose good or bad, no one really other than the billionaire douche.

A sweet ending and season 2 would have had the young prosecutor prick from Stranger as the guy running the hospital had there been a sequel. This doesn't have serial killers, or lovey dovey romance, so it's a different feel from most kdramas. Worth a watch when you want something different.

--

Hyena, early impressions (4 eps out on Netflix)

giphy.gif

As soon as this scene hit, I was fucking in.

Oh man, gonna be tough to wait this out. So far, this manages to have a perfect blend of fun and serious. I really thought the actress lead from here would be my fave after watching the trailer since she's incredible in Signal.. but the main guy here is somehow a little bit better. I had to look up where this monster of an actor was from, and he's in Kingdom. I thought for a quick second he was the young prick prosecutor from Stranger. He really is getting the short end of the stick in so many scenes, which allows for some amazing acting. The scene where he's laughing while being in complete disbelief, angry and crying in episode 1 was some Octar worthy stuff. You don't want to pick sides, esp since you feel like the other lead simply had some really bad shit happen to her.. but he keeps getting railed every episode making him far more sympathetic despite being a cocky douche. Love the relationship he has with his "friend" ^ above as well, and the two leads have amazing chemistry.

I really am surprised how this show manages to be so fun and engaging, and it really pulls the emotional weight.

My only fear is that if the whole show other than say last 2 eps of "final villain appears" and they team up, it will get repetitive and lose some of its steam for sure. Already glad at the nice twist at the end of episode 4. I do hope they both have their own separate cases where there is some overlap, but they deal with own things. And don't want everything to be about that rich family either.

--

Itaewon Class keeps getting better and better with every episode. 3 more weeks until this show is done. Will talk more then

giphy.gif