• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Update: record has been beaten (Any% in 4m 56s 245ms by somewes)

Official time: 4:56.462 - 4 frames faster than Darbian's WR

He thinks he lost 2 frames in water + 1 frame in wall jump + lag frame in 8-2

He had the fastest 8-4 of any 8-4 in a record run by at least 3 frames, so this record is nearly impossible to beat without someone incorporating another frame rule skip. The easiest frame rule remaining is 8-3 FPG, which Darbian did in his WR, but Kosmic did not do in this run because saved the time with fast 4-2 instead.

If someone can replicate this run by Kosmic while adding 8-3 FPG and fast 1-2 warp pipe (which is incredibly difficult) then that would be a 4:55.XX, and probably the lowest possible human time.
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/7xx8i2/wr_kosmic_sets_a_new_smb_world_record/dubwvwq/

Last edited:

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Hope you don't mind but I changed the title around. I saw "new Super Mario Bros World record" and thought: damn, less than 5 mins for NSMB?

Oct 26, 2017
There's around 0.75 seconds left to save in the game. Will be curious to see if Darbian comes back to practice New Fast 4-2 (which is what Kosmic used to get the world record) and 1-2 clip and get the 4:55

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Why would he read chat while trying to set a world record on a different screen?

Edit: also why is the time lesser than the video shows? Sorry, I don't follow speed runs at all, so outside looking in it doesn't make sense.

Can't press the split button in precise enough time probably. They count it after the fact to be precise.

Pineconn

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Why would he read chat while trying to set a world record on a different screen?

Edit: also why is the time lesser than the video shows? Sorry, I don't follow speed runs at all, so outside looking in it doesn't make sense.

Speedrunning is boring and repetitive, honestly. Unless you're doing new strats. Plus, he doesn't even need to look at the screen for the first bit of the run — it's just muscle memory at this point.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017

His time on the clock said .54? I dont get it.

IIRC the official time is determined by counting the actual frames from the video, which is more accurate than LiveSplit. You could use an auto-splitter but I'm not sure if it works outside of emulators/when playing on an actual console

Last edited:

ldcommando

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It's a 5 minute Speed run of a old game that he played a billion of times. I imagine most of it is ingrained in his brain

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I knew Darbian's run could be beat, but I didn't expect it to happen this quickly. Well done

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a 5 minute Speed run of a old game that he played a billion of times. I imagine most of it is ingrained in his brain
Yep plus I don't think rng is really a factor in SMB sobit's not Like you ever really need to adjust inputs much. Plus the run is so short that resetting isn't a huge deal compared to an hour long run. At this point the Only time saves left are largely on a few small tricks too

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Is this the only run determined by fractions of a second? Mindblowing how incredibly optimised SMB is!

Oct 26, 2017
What is a frame rule exactly?

Is it based around limiting what an emulator can do or something?

SMB1 only checks whether or not the level has been completed once every 21 frames (basically a third of a second). So there are times when saving 1/5 of a second in actual play would save no time in the actual speedrun because the game wouldn't check that the level had been completed for the same amount of time as if you didn't save 1/5 of a second. And there are times when saving like 1/20 of a second could save 1/3 of a second in the actual speedrun. It depends on when the game is checking to see whether the level has been completed or not and SMB1 speedrunners have this tracked pretty well.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
...he does half the run without even looking at the screen. Holy shit.

Edit: never mind, I'm an idiot. His game screen is to the right.

Stormkyleis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Newer video with commentary:

His time on the clock said .54? I dont get it.
He played 1-1 so many times, he's basically on autopilot until the flagpole glitch at the end (which is much harder than it looks). The chat is on the left.

The splits are done manually, they aren't accurate. He counts the frames after the run, as you can see in the commentary video.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
What is a frame rule exactly?

Is it based around limiting what an emulator can do or something?
It refers to the way the game is built. Basically, every 21 frames the game will check if the player has finished the level. If the player has finished the current level, the next level will load right away, no problem. If the player hasn't reached the end within that set of 21 frames, then there is a waiting period until the next check occurs, which then adds time to the counter. The 21 frame loading rule can also act as a buffer: even if a player technically plays slower than another runner, so long as the level is beat within that same frame window, they'll achieve the same final time for that level. Darbian has an analogy that perhaps will make it easier to understand:

Imagine that the castle Mario walks into at the end of each stage is a bus station, and that Mario must take a bus to the next stage. In the Mushroom Kingdom, buses operate on an oddly specific schedule, such that every 0.35 seconds a bus departs. When Mario reaches the end of a stage, he must wait for the next bus to depart.

When it comes to speedrunning this game, the frame rule means that you don't have to play each level perfectly to get a perfect time, you just need to play each level fast enough to get on the same bus as someone who did play it perfectly.
https://kotaku.com/why-its-taking-years-to-shave-seconds-off-the-world-rec-1768197256