• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't ruin it for the people who want to play an easier version though.
They'd be having a good time and totally oblivious to the From fanbase shouting at them from the internet.
Thing is it wouldn't be an easier version - it would be a different game altoghether. The game would no longer be about you as a player defeating incredible challenges. It would just be a game about ninjas and stuff. That's why it would be ruined, since it would no longer be the same game.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
Its strange that sekiro sparked all this discussion being the most accesible souls game by far.
Accesibility =/= difficulty

Unbelievable ignorance and lack of empathy.

I really am out this time. I'm gonna get banned if I stay in here much longer.

Why the attack? You have a different design philosophy and both are ok and can coexist, not in the same games maybe but that it's also ok.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Thing is it wouldn't be an easier version - it would be a different game altoghether. The game would no longer be about you as a player defeating incredible challenges. It would just be a game about ninjas and stuff. That's why it would be ruined, since it would no longer be the same game.

Ninjas and stuff? Sounds fun to me!
It'd only be ruined on an individual basis, what you describe as a ruined version would be a fun version to someone else. Someone more interested in the lore, sights and sounds of the game as opposed to running into a brick wall for hours and then just giving up anyway, missing out on what could have been some of their favorite parts of the game.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just going to lay out what I don't understand here: Why can't difficulty range among the multiple subjective elements that people can chose to indulge in or avoid without moral judgement like so many others? I have decided I don't like a game because of a number of aspects from sound to visual presentation to gameplay and controls and even from a standpoint of difficulty. None of these seemed wrong or immoral to me on behalf of those who created or enjoyed them at the time. I didn't feel obligated to see the end because I bought in. I didn't feel I was owed any more than I got. And while I could offer feedback, i was content to give it and move on without antagonizing existing communities. Why can't this be that?

Sleep on it, you might get it in the morning.

I'm sure plenty of people get it, but it isn't really fair. To say people deserve to play this specific game then abstract to climbing any mountain according to taste and desire illustrates how bad some of the attempts at drawing parallels has become.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It'd only be ruined on an individual basis, what you describe as a ruined version would be a fun version to someone else. Someone more interested in the lore, sights and sounds of the game as opposed to running into a brick wall for hours and then just giving up anyway, missing out on what could have been some of their favorite parts of the game.
Ooooor, the lore, sights, and sounds are part and parcel of the rewards that a player can obtain upon overcoming the brick wall, so can't just be given away nilly-willy otherwise the brick wall, which is the entire point of the game, loses all meaning?

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it would probably be a fun version for someone else. And it would also exclude many of the people who enjoy the gaming experience that's very rare to find outside of FROMs catalogue. Would that be fine?

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017

I felt exactly like that, so I just watched someone else play the game. That is an option for someone who doesn't care about the gameplay but wants everything else.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

At a certain point why not just watch a youtube video?

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
At a certain point why not just watch a youtube video?

Because it's not the same obviously.
I remember the first time i played demon's souls. Instantly fell in love thanks to the berserk vibes, and i beat the game over a few weeks.
There were times when i nearly didn't mind, and the frustration put me off for days on end. But i got through it and i've been a fan of From ever since.
I went back to DeS a few years after, did the dupe glitch and made myself super OP. It was wonderful just exploring the world, finding cool shit, reading into hidden shit i'd missed the first time around. That's my best memory with that game for sure, and it wouldn't be the same if i just watched a video, as i was the one exploring this world and finding stuff myself.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I'm just going to lay out what I don't understand here: Why can't difficulty range among the multiple subjective elements that people can chose to indulge in or avoid without moral judgement like so many others? I have decided I don't like a game because of a number of aspects from sound to visual presentation to gameplay and controls and even from a standpoint of difficulty. None of these seemed wrong or immoral to me on behalf of those who created or enjoyed them at the time. I didn't feel obligated to see the end because I bought in. I didn't feel I was owed any more than I got. And while I could offer feedback, i was content to give it and move on without antagonizing existing communities. Why can't this be that?
I think it's the extremely strong resistance towards people expressing these wishes of adjustable difficulty which makes this particular discussion standout (further tarnished by the assholes at Twitter with absolutely no filter). I've never seen this with visual presentation, gameplay or controls discussion. And when that is combined to not just trying to dismiss the voices of differently abled and their supporters like accessibility consultants who work on this stuff, but the attempts to shut them from the discussion completely. Then it can lead to moral judgement against these people. Differently abled are disavdantaged and opressed minority group and people are advocating for more options to include them. At some point when people feel they are judged for their actions and words, it could be a great time to step back and self-reflect.

Also, not every From Soft fan has been against these options and not all who are against them have tried to push one group away from the discussion or to shut the discussion down.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Because it's not the same obviously.
I remember the first time i played demon's souls. Instantly fell in love thanks to the berserk vibes, and i beat the game over a few weeks.
There were times when i nearly didn't mind, and the frustration put me off for days on end. But i got through it and i've been a fan of From ever since.
I went back to DeS a few years after, did the dupe glitch and made myself super OP. It was wonderful just exploring the world, finding cool shit, reading into hidden shit i'd missed the first time around. That's my best memory with that game for sure, and it wouldn't be the same if i just watched a video, as i was the one exploring this world and finding stuff myself.
And at that point it was a completely different experience than what you had the first time.

As a sidenote I'm replaying DeS on RPCS3 right now. The latest update basically makes it run better than on PS3 and in glorious high resolution. DeS is still my favorite one.

Dec 8, 2018
Unbelievable ignorance and lack of empathy.

I really am out this time. I'm gonna get banned if I stay in here much longer.

Is it ignorant to demand a time investment from the players of your game?

Why do we even make long games that span several hours even if they include a easy mode then?

The speed running record of Sekiro in just a few days was down to almost 30 minutes. Does doing it in that time takes some extreme skill and time investment but I bet if you are an average gamer it will probably take you around 20-40 hours if you explore and don't use a guide to get an ending on average.

Most new open world games takes far longer than that to complete even if they don't present a challenging gameplay so what is wrong with asking the players to instead of investing time in driving a car all over los santos just to get from mission to mission instead makes you use the same amount of time to die over and over (which is in the game description of demon souls) to make you learn the game or boss your facing better.

I bet the amount of people who bought and completed GTA V regardless of difficulty or many other big open world games and got the trophy for it percentage vise probably is less than those who finished one of the endings of Bloodborne. So are those games also ignorant for demanding time investment to see the end?

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's the extremely strong resistance towards people expressing these wishes of adjustable difficulty which makes this particular discussion standout (further tarnished by the assholes at Twitter with no filter). And when that is combined to not just trying to dismiss the voices of differently abled and their supporters like accessibility consultants, but the attempts to shut them from the discussion completely. Then it can lead to moral judgement against these people. Differently abled are disavdantaged and opressed minority group and people are advocating for more options to include them. At some point when people feel they are judged for their actions and words, it could be a great time to step back and self-reflect.

But any sufficiently complex or demanding engagement is going to exclude someone. The more an experience relies on those things the more people it excludes, but that's not the same thing as designing to exclude. People don't make music to mock the deaf. They don't make movies to slight the blind. There are people for whom entire forms of media don't work per their core means of conveying information.

And for games I'd think that would sometimes apply to their core defining feature, feedback. There is little in terms of dispute that feedback from the player is in some way an integral form gameplay challenge and even less that makes sense. We also know that challenge is at the core of these games. Do you think they were created and are supported for the point f that exclusion or because those aspects are seen as enhancements for the intended audience that have an unfortunate but real exclusionary effect?

And should you have to self reflect just because you think that's ok for a very limited range of products with that specific design goal? Not for the majority, not for an entire genre, not for an system or platform, but for 6 games? Especially when those same people aren't against enhancements that improve the game in ways that wouldn't compromise it's intent and are for accessibility as a whole?

Also, not every From Soft fan has been against these options and not all who are against them have tried to push one group away from the discussion or to shut the discussion down.

Indeed, but that goes back to my earlier comments about being selective of what is feedback and what is "shutting down discussion" as well as the one sided nature of what stances are acceptable and whether you're able to write people in opposition off as horrible ableist who like to steal wheelchairs and park across 4 handicap spaces in the parking lot.

Last edited:

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
And at that point it was a completely different experience than what you had the first time.

As a sidenote I'm replaying DeS on RPCS3 right now. The latest update basically makes it run better than on PS3 and in glorious high resolution. DeS is still my favorite one.

Aye it was a different experience, but it was the same game and i had much more fun playing it that way.
It's what i mean when i say just because some people or even the director himself thinks an easy mode would ruin the games doesn't make it universally true.

And yeah DeS is still probably my fave of this era From games along with Bloodborne. Can imagine it looking pretty cool with high res textures and whatnot.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile

But in other souls games and Sekiro you can just NG+ and explore the world with an OP build after many ++++ you get. Yes, enemies are more powerful, but it doesn't mean you will not be OP. After my NG+++ on DS3 and Bloodborne, I was free to explore the world, and it was great, because I reached that point where I can do whatever I want. It sounds elitist, but putting the time to get powerful and then exploring everything can be awesome.

You end up getting so much better than at the start that you feel that satisfaction exploring every corner. The problem of you people, is that you want instant gratification.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
Aye it was a different experience, but it was the same game and i had much more fun playing it that way.
It's what i mean when i say just because some people or even the director himself thinks an easy mode would ruin the games doesn't make it universally true.

And yeah DeS is still probably my fave of this era From games along with Bloodborne. Can imagine it looking pretty cool with high res textures and whatnot.

The term ruin is horribly subjective. We can easily have fun with things in ways their creators never intended or may ruin someone else' fun in the same activity (greifers/etc). So it all depends, did they consider wanking around with impunity to have the same value as sightseeing tours of the same or as a distinct challenge. If not it may be ruined for them as creators. I guess we're still trying to nail down if that matters though. It does in that they create the products of course, but I guess some people want to question if it should?

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
But any sufficiently complex or demanding engagement is going to exclude someone. The more an experience relies on those things the more people it excludes, but that's not the same thing as designing to exclude. People don't make music to mock the deaf. They don't make movies to slight the blind. There are people for whom entire forms of media don't work per their core means of conveying information.

And for games I'd think that would sometimes apply to their core defining feature, feedback. There is little in terms of dispute that feedback from the player is in some way an integral form gameplay challenge and even less that makes sense. We also know that challenge is at the core of these games. Do you think they were created and are supported for the point f that exclusion or because those aspects are seen as enhancements for the intended audience that have an unfortunate but real exclusionary effect?

And should you have to self reflect just because you think that's ok for a very limited range of products with that specific design goal? Not for the majority, not for an entire genre, not for an system or platform, but for 6 games?
The creator definitely isn't on trial here. I've earlier said it too, that I've seen very little if any accusations towards Miyazaki or any other developer. Could be that I just misread your meaning, but people haven't or atleast shouldn't think that Miyazaki or any other developer is mocking anybody for not being able to accommodate everyone. People wish devs would give more consideration to things and accommodate more, not all. Everyone isn't interested to begin with because it might not be their genre or the artstyle isn't appealing, so that already excludes people. But there are a lot of people who are really interested, but there's this one set barrier. Of course it's not there to spite them, but people would love the option to lower that barrier so they get in too. And that's very possible to do. And this goes for all games, not just From Soft games. It's wrong to think this is just about that. People claim these things are only talked when From Soft releases a game. That's false, I've shared articles that have been inspired by other games. But as mentioned, there's not usually as strong pushback so it's not visible and fizzles out rather quickly. Sometimes there's a lot though, like Jennifer Hepler from Bioware suggesting "skip combat" to games caused a lot of controversy. This was already in 2006, didn't probably help then that she's a woman.

And to your last point, Feep said it already.
It is absolutely nuts that you see adding an easy mode as taking away something from someone else. Adding easy mode GIVES TOYS TO THOUSANDS WHO COULDN'T HAVE IT. Especially to disabled folks, who are the real people who have "six toys".
Me like many others have really hard time seeing how including more people is taking something away. The point isn't to take down the one difficulty to make it easier, but to add options for those who want and need them.

Last edited:

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
But in other souls games and Sekiro you can just NG+ and explore the world with an OP build after many ++++ you get. Yes, enemies are more powerful, but it doesn't mean you will not be OP. After my NG+++ on DS3 and Bloodborne, I was free to explore the world, and it was great, because I reached that point where I can do whatever I want. It sounds elitist, but putting the time to get powerful and then exploring everything can be awesome.

You end up getting so much better than at the start that you feel that satisfaction exploring every corner. The problem of you people, is that you want instant gratification.

Sure, i played these games for literally 100s of hours because i want instant gratification...

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
The term ruin is horribly subjective. We can easily have fun with things in ways their creators never intended or may ruin someone else' fun in the same activity (greifers/etc). So it all depends, did they consider wanking around with impunity to have the same value as sightseeing tours of the same or as a distinct challenge. If not it may be ruined for them as creators. I guess we're still trying to nail down if that matters though. It does in that they create the products of course, but I guess some people want to question if it should?

Who knows if it ruins it for the creators, but mods and cheats have existed forever and will always exist in some form no doubt. That's just the norm with PC releases so they had to expect that.
From is in a unique spot though where they've built up such a fanbase that even if they brought out a game that had difficulty options, probably over half of the player base would pick the "intended" choice i think.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

And should you have to self reflect just because you think that's ok for a very limited range of products with that specific design goal? Not for the majority, not for an entire genre, not for an system or platform, but for 6 games? Especially when those same people aren't against enhancements that improve the game in ways that wouldn't compromise it's intent and are for accessibility as a whole?

Indeed, but that goes back to my earlier comments about being selective of what is feedback and what is "shutting down discussion" as well as the one sided nature of what stances are acceptable and whether you're able to write people in opposition off as horrible ableist who like to steal wheelchairs and park across 4 handicap spaces in the parking lot.
This is an incredible post.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I only clicked on this thread because I'm surprised to see it's still going. Obviously all arguments have been depleted, but I'm also surprised to see how heated it's gotten. What a huge argument, over something that's really not an issue. Most games do have a difficulty select, at least in my experience.

So this argument seems to be about the small subset of games that are specifically catering to the niche crowd that enjoys difficult games because they're difficult. Games whose existence, or success, is tied to that very concept.

It's confusing to me why this is so controversial that's it not a discussion, but a furious argument.

Deleted member 1120

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only clicked on this thread because I'm surprised to see it's still going. Obviously all arguments have been depleted, but I'm also surprised to see how heated it's gotten. What a huge argument, over something that's really not an issue. Most games do have a difficulty select, at least in my experience.

So this argument seems to be about the small subset of games that are specifically catering to the niche crowd that enjoys difficult games because they're difficult. Games whose existence, or success, is tied to that very concept.

It's confusing to me why this is so controversial that's it not a discussion, but a furious argument.
Probably has to do with the fact that people are throwing the ableist lable at others.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
The creator definitely isn't on trial here. I've earlier said it too, that I've seen very little if any accusations towards Miyazaki or any other developer.

Which is actually odd to me and part of my ire at some of the posters here. Creating a game that excludes people is fine, supporting it for the reasons they said they created it is condemnable. WTF even is that logic?

Could be that I just misread your meaning, but people haven't or atleast shouldn't think that Miyazaki or any other developer is mocking anybody for not being able to accommodate everyone. People wish devs would give more consideration to things and accommodate more, not all. Everyone isn't interested to begin with, so that already excludes people. But there are a lot of people who are really interested, but there's this one set barrier. Of course it's not there to spite them, but people would love the option to lower that barrier so they get in too.

And yet the barrier is supposed to be part of the point. This is 100 meter hurdles, people are asking why it can't be 100 meter dash because (literal) hurdles eliminate some people. But when your event is running through hurdles, is it entirely reasonable to say "remove hurdles"? And is it condemnable to point out that this is 100 meter hurdles and not just 100 meter dash?

Me like many others have really hard time seeing how including more people is taking something away. The point isn't to take down the one and only difficulty, but to add options for those who want and need them.

Simple, something was put in, it was done for a reason and you have testimony that that reason holds for at least some set of those who chose the experience. Why doesn't that matter? We're talking about a lack of options that functions as a feature mind you rather than an omission.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

FOMO, entitlement.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd think people would be fine with easy modes if it meant the games default could be harder. Take Sekiro, it's clear concessions were made so that people would be able to get into it more easily like game speed and the fact that you have infinite stamina while running (which allows you to easily cheese just about everything in the game). It'd be great if there was an easy mode that retained alongside lowered enemy damage while the standard difficulty got rid of it. You could even have a hard mode increased the game speed ala turbo mode in DMC.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
Who knows if it ruins it for the creators, but mods and cheats have existed forever and will always exist in some form no doubt.

Sure, but that doesn't mean people should give up on making games. If anything the fact that mods can go any direction makes them irrelevant. You could mod dickbutt everywhere, doesn't mean they should create dickbutt skins.

That's just the norm with PC releases so they had to expect that.

Indeed, but you're building for players, not modders.

From is in a unique spot though where they've built up such a fanbase that even if they brought out a game that had difficulty options, probably over half of the player base would pick the "intended" choice i think.

Possibly, but they preferred that everyone picked the "intended" difficulty and used the mechanical knobs to adjust things instead. The whole line of conversation here seems to say that manner of design is wrong.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Which is actually odd to me and part of my ire at some of the posters here. Creating a game that excludes people if fine, supporting it for the reasons they said they created it is condemnable. WTF even is that logic?

And yet the barrier is supposed to be part of the point. This is 100 meter hurdles, people are asking why it can't be 100 meter dash because (literal) hurdles eliminate some people. But when your event is running through hurdles, is it entirely reasonable to say "remove hurdles"? And is it condemnable to point out that this is 100 meter hurdles and not just 100 meter dash?

Simple, something was put in, it was done for a reason and you have testimony that that reason holds for at least some set of those who chose the experience. Why doesn't that matter? We're tlking about a lack of options that functions as a feature mind you rather than an omission.
It's not just supporting the game and creators choices, I guess to you nothing in this thread has seemed like people have been trying to shut down the discussion. Or that people have tried to exclude the accessibility angle out of this discussion. But that's absolutely how it looks like to many. Or that "you don't care about differently abled people, you just suck at games" could be considered insulting and very hurtful. Not because it insults one's gaming skill mind you, that's not the egregious part. And once again, that's trying to exclude a minority group from the discussion. As if they didn't matter, that it's just a battle with "hardcore" and "casuals".

And now we are again getting into the "creators vision" argument, which makes it seem like these wishes for better accessibility with these games wouldn't be welcomed. Hence it's trying to shut down the discussion. But everyone already knows that the creator does what they want, well sometimes what the publisher wants. The creator can have many different reasons to do what they want to do. And very often the creator is open to feedback, Miyazaki seems to be too as he said he took pointers even from Activision story-wise and changed/implemented things. Even though, they gave him full control. They didn't force anything on him, he just listened. He most likely has an ear open for other than publishers too. And "he hasn't listened this long and wont" which many have repeated, is very debatable. Considering that he himself has stated to want versatility, he has other visions too than satisfaction of overcoming overwhelming odds. And it's not just talk either, he actually showed us. Hopefully there's many more to come and with these titles atleast, the discussion is 100% warranted. "he hasn't listened and wont" is trying to shut down the discussion and diminish the voices. I'm rather glad that people have kept talking, hopefully so in the future too. And not just From Soft games, even "easy" games can do a lot better.

Last edited:

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
I'm really really confused as to why this is being treated like some grand injustice. Let the devs make the game they want. Accessibility =/= difficulty. Options for that are always welcome. But kotaku wants an easy mode in every game. That's not verbatim but it is implied. (Yes I read the article) Play another game. Research the game before you buy.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really really confused as to why this is being treated like some grand injustice. Let the devs make the game they want. Accessibility =/= difficulty. Options for that are always welcome. But kotaku wants an easy mode in every game. That's not verbatim but it is implied. (Yes I read the article) Play another game. Research the game before you buy.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
It's not just supporting the game and creators choices, I guess to you nothing in this thread has seemed like people have been trying to shut down the discussion. Or that people have tried to exclude the accessibility angle out of this discussion. But that's absolutely how it looks like to many.

I won't say nothing looks like shutting down conversation, I will say things that people don't have an answer for or aren't willing to come right out and say they don't care about is instead sometimes referred to as stiffing conversation in my eyes.

Or that "you don't care about differently abled people, you just suck at games" could be considered insulting and very hurtful.

So is, "You're a fucking ableist elitist who murders puppies in their spare time. You make me so mad. You and you're whole fanbase can jump off a cliff." And yes, that's a bit exaggerated. But not as much anexaggeration as I'd like.

Not because it insults one's gaming skill mind you, that's not the egregious part. And once again, that's trying to exclude a minority group from the discussion. As if they didn't matter, that it's just a battle with "hardcore" and "casuals".

All i can really say is "good luck with that." If I had more insight to give on how to move past that, I'd have used it to stop the "everyone is just 'git good' posters" mentality a while ago. Apparently you can't make everyone think your argument is genuine.

And now we are again getting into the "creators vision" argument, which makes it seem like these wishes for better accessibility with these games wouldn't be welcomed. Hence it's trying to shut down the discussion. But everyone already knows that the creator does what they want, well sometimes what the publisher wants. The creator can have many different reasons to do what they want to do. And very often the creator is open to feedback, Miyazaki seems to be too as he said he took pointers even from Activision story-wise and changed/implemented things. Even though, they gave him full control. They didn't force anything on him, he just listened. He most likely has an ear open for other than publishers too. And "he hasn't listened this long and wont" which many have repeated, is very debatable. Considering that he himself has stated to want versatility, he has other visions too than satisfaction of overcoming overwhelming odds. And it's not just talk either, he actually showed us. Hopefully there's many more to come and with these titles atleast, the discussion is 100% warranted. "he hasn't listened and wont" is trying to shut down the discussion and diminish the voices. I'm rather glad that people have kept talking, hopefully so in the future too. And not just From Soft games, even "easy" games can do a lot better.

So here's the rub. The argument is literally about what the game was created to do and what people get out of it. As such developer intent can and should feature heavily into the argument. So should user experience and testimony. Not as a deterrent for conversation, but certainly as some sort of guide to either reconcile or reject. None of this fence sitting where people pretend to be open to developer vision saying "From can create what they want but..." and the go on for paragraphs that ignore what from wants to do. That's not logically consistent. Either accept the vision and work within it's confines or have the guts to say you think it's wrong and why without tiptoeing around saying what you mean.

The whole, "we can add difficulties without disregarding intent" when an intent is single difficulty is not a logically workable position. And no one wants or cares to try to square their ideas up with that. So yes, people instead think those people just don't care about it and it becomes a wall.

And if you want to argue from their that such a premise is itself flawed, fine. That's preferable to pretending ideas that are antithetical to the premise work fine within that premise and the problem is just "the fans being elitist." When single difficulty is explicitely stated as a means and end, making more lower difficulties does not preserve the whole that each player is intended to experience in and of their own gameplay.

And I'm sure that Miyazaki is open to criticism. I'm also sure that he's filtering it based on what improves or detracts from the product he's trying to make rather than the one that's "better" by some outside definition. Do you think no one at Activision ever thought that players might bounce hard off of the difficulty here? Yes, he certainly has a range of experiences he wants to create which is why I think we'll see more varied work from Fromsoft under his leadership going forward. But that doesn't change what they have created and may or may not ever stop creating. The desire to vary things doesn't mean this creation was created wrong or missed it's intent (in as much as we know so far). And that's what people mean when they point to 6 games. They point to a history of desiring to create some experiences of this nature, and that through that history we have a window into the intent of the creation of these games.

Which is another part of the rub. The argument here that has gotten the most pushback that you're seeing as stifling conversations comes as feedback regarding past games. Games that are already largely established quantities with a particular focus in mind and exist as established products. Products that exclude? Yes. But that's what they are. And yes anyone can provide feedback as to what they wish the game had for even the most altruistic reasons. They may have the best of intents. They also have a reality of what was created to square up against and make a decision: Engage with the product or don't. In 2009 and 2011 we could plead ignorance. In 2014 we knew what we were in for. And from there we've had these discussions in earnest, not in spite of but because we had known quantities. These aren't malleable qualities. These leave us either playing them, or playing something else.

As far as accessibility as a whole, yes, we do have a ways to go. And there is a lot that could be accounted for in Sekiro outside of difficulty. but the article that started this was titled: "An easy mode has never ruined a game." This started as being about an easy mode and has centered on that, on both sides. No one has argued against control remapping, custom hardware support, subtitle control, colorblindness options or the like. It's not a full gamut as I leaving something out surely. But the angle of being anti accessibility is being overblown to being full on ableist based on one aspect that is again seen as antithetical to the game's goals. And if we're not allowed to argue the game achieves it's intent or that that intent has made the experience better, what can we argue? And can you see why we feel conversation is being stifled? And how can you argue you're fine with anything From does while condemning people for being fine with what From does?

Mind you, this isn't all aimed at you personally, but this is just what I'm seeing here.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I won't say nothing looks like shutting down conversation, I will say things that people don't have an answer for or aren't willing to come right out and say they don't care about is instead sometimes referred to as stiffing conversation in my eyes.

So is, "You're a fucking ableist elitist who murders puppies in their spare time. You make me so mad. You and you're whole fanbase can jump off a cliff." And yes, that's a bit exaggerated. But not as much anexaggeration as I'd like.

All i can really say is "good luck with that." If I had more insight to give on how to move past that, I'd have used it to stop the "everyone is just 'git good' posters" mentality a while ago. Apparently you can't make everyone think your argument is genuine.

So here's the rub. The argument is literally about what the game was created to do and what people get out of it. As such developer intent can and should feature heavily into the argument. So should user experience and testimony. Not as a deterrent for conversation, but certainly as some sort of guide to either reconcile or reject. None of this fence sitting where people pretend to be open to developer vision saying "From can create what they want but..." and the go on for paragraphs that ignore what from wants to do. That's not logically consistent. Either accept the vision and work within it's confines or have the guts to say you think it's wrong and why without tiptoeing around saying what you mean.

The whole, "we can add difficulties without disregarding intent" when an intent is single difficulty is not a logically workable position. And no one wants or cares to try to square their ideas up with that. So yes, people instead think those people just don't care about it and it becomes a wall.

And if you want to argue from their that such a premise is itself flawed, fine. That's preferable to pretending ideas that are antithetical to the premise work fine within that premise and the problem is just "the fans being elitist." When single difficulty is explicitely stated as a means and end, making more lower difficulties does not preserve the whole that each player is intended to experience in and of their own gameplay.

And I'm sure that Miyazaki is open to criticism. I'm also sure that he's filtering it based on what improves or detracts from the product he's trying to make rather than the one that's "better" by some outside definition. Do you think no one at Activision ever thought that players might bounce hard off of the difficulty here? Yes, he certainly has a range of experiences he wants to create which is why I think we'll see more varied work from Fromsoft under his leadership going forward. But that doesn't change what they have created and may or may not ever stop creating. The desire to vary things doesn't mean this creation was created wrong or missed it's intent (in as much as we know so far). And that's what people mean when they point to 6 games. They point to a history of desiring to create some experiences of this nature, and that through that history we have a window into the intent of the creation of these games.

Which is another part of the rub. The argument here that has gotten the most pushback that you're seeing as stifling conversations comes as feedback regarding past games. Games that are already largely established quantities with a particular focus in mind and exist as established products. Products that exclude? Yes. But that's what they are. And yes anyone can provide feedback as to what they wish the game had for even the most altruistic reasons. They may have the best of intents. They also have a reality of what was created to square up against and make a decision: Engage with the product or don't. In 2009 and 2011 we could plead ignorance. In 2014 we knew what we were in for. And from there we've had these discussions in earnest, not in spite of but because we had known quantities. These aren't malleable qualities. These leave us either playing them, or playing something else.

As far as accessibility as a whole, yes, we do have a ways to go. And there is a lot that could be accounted for in Sekiro outside of difficulty. but the article that started this was titled: "An easy mode has never ruined a game." This started as being about an easy mode and has centered on that, on both sides. No one has argued against control remapping, custom hardware support, subtitle control, colorblindness options or the like. It's not a full gamut as I leaving something out surely. But the angle of being anti accessibility is being overblown to being full on ableist based on one aspect that is again seen as antithetical to the game's goals. And if we're not allowed to argue the game achieves it's intent or that that intent has made the experience better, what can we argue? And can you see why we feel conversation is being stifled? And how can you argue you're fine with anything From does while condemning people for being fine with what From does?

Mind you, this isn't all aimed at you personally, but this is just what I'm seeing here.
Sure developers are creating these experiences, most of it comes with intent in mind not by accident. Not bugs of course and because of time and resources not everything the developer wants to do is always possible. The deliberate slow nature of RDR2 is not an accident, it's vision. Controls that might feel clumsy to someone can be with intent, to give movement weight and to make it feel realistic. Of course it can be pointed out that it's not a bug it's feature, it's part of the whole vision for the game. But does that stop the complaints, well no and I don't think it should. All people haven't come in terms with CP77 being first person only game, even though everything is designed around it and playing 3rd person would "harm" the intended experience (the act of adding optional 3rd person wouldn't though besides "wasted" resources). And while I haven't followed RDR2 discussion super closely, I assume the discussion around it's issues hasn't been quite as heated as this difficulty discussion is. And the wish/suggestion for an option to skip skinning animations doesn't cause as much controversy (I believe I've seen some people take an issue with this specific thing). Or the suggestion that developer should implement alternate movement controls for the game, for those who rather have it be more snappier/arcadey.

Killing puppies and jumping of the cliff is definitely an exaggerattion as you say. I can absolutely admit to getting mad around this discussion though, as have many others. And as I said earlier, this has been colored by people in Twitter. It's maybe not fair to those people who haven't been insulting differently abled people directly, even specifically about their impairments (people who aren't huge assholes deserving of a beating). But it's pretty hard to just ignore either as they've poisoned the well. Unfortunately they are part of the discussion too, I think they shouldn't be but they can slime their way in by just acting civil and hiding their true self. Especially in a place like ResetEra where the moderation would stomp anyone going out of line with a big ass boot, as they should of course. And this isn't me pointing any fingers at you, not saying or thinking that you've been bullying anyone in Twitter. But the discussion has been made very toxic, it's the circumstances were in unfortunately. I'd love if this had gone the other way, that we all would have just stayed on point having productive discussion.

I personally have said that I don't agree with the creators way in creating these feelings of accomplished through not offering options. But apparently since I'm not an acclaimed game designer (as was said to me), what I think about it doesn't matter (fair enough). I just can't relate to what people have described, how having options would hurt the game. Maybe it's because I don't play From Software games, maybe I finally got it if I played. But I've played other games with no difficulty selection and some of those I'd consider very challenging and most who have played those would agree. The challenge has been the very intent with probably most of these challenging games , like Super Meat Boy. They also did some cool things around that challenge. Yet I personally just don't see it hurting the game if someone else adjusted the difficulty to better suit them, like with something similar to Celeste assist mode. I just can't relate. But I can empathize and relate with the opposite, people struggling either because of any disadvantages they have regarding gaming or just because they're not skilled enough. I can relate to the feeling of succeeding against overwhelming odds, it's definitely a great feeling. That feeling can be still achieved with adjustable difficulty, but if someone chose to breeze through a game it's no skin of my back. Essentially that's what it comes down to atleast for me. I can relate and understand the other argument much better, I see more positives in it than the opposition. And I definitely can't understand why Miyazaki or From Soft should be seen and treated any differently than any other dev who are making challenging games with or without options. Why should they be an exception over someone else. Which is why I've said I don't pick any favorites in this discussion, but support these options across the medium. There's plenty of different ways to implement these, how it can be done would be more reasonable and interesting discussion for me than just simple "no, don't do it/won't happen". But I'm still happy this discussion has been had in social media, articles etc and Era too.

I'm sure Miyazaki will do very similar games to "Soulsbornekiro" or whatever they're now called in the future too. But when he doesn't and he doesn't consider the single set difficulty to be the soul of the game, atleast then I'd wish he put extra consideration on accessibility through directly adjustable difficulty. He's a clever guy, he could even come up with something others end up copying hence improving gaming altogether.

And obviously not anyone is arguing against button remapping, subtitles, separate audio sliders, ability to play with any controller, because those benefit everyone (even if not everyone uses them). Why the hell would anyone argue against that. Well actually I've seen someone at Era argue against button remapping on consoles because "it would confuse people". Consoles being simple was a reason they rather play on it than on PC. And as far controllers go, people definitely have argued against allowing any controller on console multiplayer. I'd allow that too. But these are not really about adjustable difficulty like this discussion is intended to be. Controllers are about the first access, without them you don't even get to try if the game meets your needs.

And I think I've been pretty specific what I've been condemning, it's the downplaying (denying) of adjustable difficulty as an accessibility tool. This I find unacceptable, as I've made myself clear many times. Most posts I've responded to haven't been "I wouldn't like this implementation because..." What others condemn is up to them, I can understand though and why I do I've explained.

Out of interest as I don't follow From Soft discussions, is the difficulty often discussed? (I don't come into the threads to shout they should be easier either) Have people criticized some aspects of it, how something should had been tuned differently? Are there often suggestions how the experience should had been altered to everyone, instead than making it optional? Is the creators vision then up for scrutiny, or should people just take the games as they are created or play something else.

Last edited:

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The chef has prepared a delicious properly cooked medium rare steak, and it can only be enjoyed by those that have refined tastes. However, everyone else would like to burn it, chop it up, blend it, douse it in ketchup, and chug it down however they choose. The chef and the refined eaters argue that only they enjoyed the steak properly. Everyone else doesn't give a fuck. Half of them hate the steak for tasting like ketchup and being burnt, half of them enjoyed the blended texture, none of them experience the "true" steak.

Does any of this really matter? As long as the creators original vision is available to be enjoyed by the target audience however the creators want it to be, no amount of changes to it will have any real effects beyond elitist gatekeeping.

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People would not have talked about and made Demon Souls the hit and the beginning of one of the largest game series today if it had included an easy mode. It was the one thing that made that game stand out and get people to talk about it.

People started buying it to test their own skills at it and see if they had what it took to beat it.

I don't believe FromSoftware themselves probably understood how many who wanted to be challenged in this way without any safety nets or difficulty sliders but 10 years later there are only more and more people who buy their games for that simple reason and to test themselves.

To see if they have what it takes.

If you don't believe people like to test themselves in these kinds of ways and feel like they are part of the ones that actually manages to complete it fair and square then how do you explain any form of need of competition, ranking, top list that ever existed in any form regardless if it comes to gaming, sports or whatever.

And I would call people who don't want to put in the effort and time needed to experience what is the actual the whole ide and design philosophy of FromSoftware games who ultimately themselves are the ones who made that decision and complain about it are whiny children.

And like I said if you feel like you need to play it and watching it is not enough simply cheat! There are save file editors and on PC modds that allows you make it as simple as you want don't ask FromSoftware to cheat the game for you.
No its not. What would be diminished is adding an "easy mode" to the top of Everest. (Which is what you are saying). (And congrats on your accomplishment...Mount Fuji is awesome).

You see. Here is the honesty....It does take away the achievement for someone else. The challenge is a shared challenge to all who pick up the controller. Its the same. It is shared. The community shares in it with the developer. Its a critical part to the community that these games create. To make the easy mode diminishes the accomplishment of beating the game because now others have done it as well, but not on the same terms. (This is just human nature).

I dont care if others don't get to experience. Honestly, it makes my experience that much sweeter because not everyone can (you can also spin this as gratitude, as most highly skilled people do outside of video games). You practice, you focus, you work at it, and you work to see those credits roll on your terms. Not everyone can do this. (There are some things I'd like to do but lack the patience, skill, time, talent to do it. I don't get mad that I can't, I just admire those who can. I don't demand that somehow I also have the same experience because...well...because I want it! )

This is a HUGE part of what makes From games so popular.

Great posts and that's where it all comes down to. From became successful because of specific recipe and now that they are hot because of it people who do NOT like from games are swarming in and being let down because games are hard AND wanting from games become just like every other game in the market. From caters to specific audience and if you don't like games like that there is no reason to play them as you will not like them. Instead of that people want them to become something else entirely. If that's not entitlement I dont know what is.

Sure but that would NOT be Sekiro but something else
Just like linking the fire, easy mode discussion of From games is an endless cycle, enough to make one go hollow.

Great post, made me smile. Thank you

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Shoutouts to anyone still discussing this lol

I think i'm gonna lose my mind if i read another shit drive-by analogy that completely misrepresents the opposing sides arguement and completely ignores the thread.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
The speed running record of Sekiro in just a few days was down to almost 30 minutes. Does doing it in that time takes some extreme skill and time investment but I bet if you are an average gamer it will probably take you around 20-40 hours if you explore and don't use a guide to get an ending on average.
There are different games. Some like Sekiro and Botw can get beaten very fast, but then you have to be very good at the game, otherwise they take much longer (10+, 20+ or 50+ hours) to beat.

Then there are time inflated games. That are basically just infalted in gameplay time by cut-scenes and virtual walls.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
What about a compromise in the sense of "boss/part of map xy gets easier, when you have failed 15/30/100 times (less health/attack power"?

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Personally, I don't really like the idea of an easy mode for a from software game because I think that balance needs to walk an edge. The more game modes that developers make, the more likely it is that they will all be slightly under tuned or overtuned. I think you see that problem in the Witcher 3 a bit. BUT

On the other hand, I really favor accessibility options that would let players make their own easy mode. I don't think it's good that so many games totally exclude people with disabilities, when it would take minimal effort to let them into the game without compromising a developer's vision.

The game should have an accessibility menu with enemy damge sliders , And ideally, a universal speed slider (and other features that I don't know enough about to describe).

I've always felt like an easy mode can compromise the vision of a game. Accessibility is a must though. We would be angry at movie makers who refused to add subtitles and would lampoon movie theaters that refuse to be wheelchair accessible. We really ought to expect more from game makers.

Experts say that accessibility features are easy to make and therefore cost very little development time if they are planned from the beginning.

I generally agree that "not every game is for everybody." However, if you said that about a building to excuse yourself from having a wheel chair ramp, I would tell you where you could shove that idea. Games can do a lot better with disability access.

Last edited:

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
Sure developers are creating these experiences, most of it comes with intent in mind not by accident. Not bugs of course and because of time and resources not everything the developer wants to do is always possible. The deliberate slow nature of RDR2 is not an accident, it's vision. Controls that might feel clumsy to someone can be with intent, to give movement weight and to make it feel realistic. Of course it can be pointed out that it's not a bug it's feature, it's part of the whole vision for the game. But does that stop the complaints, well no and I don't think it should. All people haven't come in terms with CP77 being first person only game, even though everything is designed around it and playing 3rd person would "harm" the intended experience (the act of adding optional 3rd person wouldn't though besides "wasted" resources). And while I haven't followed RDR2 discussion super closely, I assume the discussion around it's issues hasn't been quite as heated as this difficulty discussion is. And the wish/suggestion for an option to skip skinning animations doesn't cause as much controversy (I believe I've seen some people take an issue with this specific thing). Or the suggestion that developer should implement alternate movement controls for the game, for those who rather have it be more snappier/arcadey.

Part of the difference is that no one looks at skinning animations as more than a preference on one side and at most the opposite would consider the denial of choice a nuisance even if the vision mandated it. There are decisions related to intentional choices that just don't go over well and others that people identify with strongly. There are also decisions people equivocate to moral stances. Even in these controversial stances that you point out, no one started a shouting match the moment anyone said "maybe CDPR is right about first person."

Killing puppies and jumping of the cliff is definitely an exaggerattion as you say. I can absolutely admit to getting mad around this discussion though, as have many others. And as I said earlier, this has been colored by people in Twitter. It's maybe not fair to those people who haven't been insulting differently abled people directly, even specifically about their impairments (people who aren't huge assholes deserving of a beating). But it's pretty hard to just ignore either as they've poisoned the well. Unfortunately they are part of the discussion too, I think they shouldn't be but they can slime their way in by just acting civil and hiding their true self. Especially in a place like ResetEra where the moderation would stomp anyone going out of line with a big ass boot, as they should of course. And this isn't me pointing any fingers at you, not saying or thinking that you've been bullying anyone in Twitter. But the discussion has been made very toxic, it's the circumstances were in unfortunately. I'd love if this had gone the other way, that we all would have just stayed on point having productive discussion.

Not a whole lot that can be said here other than the s**t that you bring to the conversation will be the s**t that's in the conversation even if you brought it from another similar conversation.

I personally have said that I don't agree with the creators way in creating these feelings of accomplished through not offering options. But apparently since I'm not an acclaimed game designer (as was said to me), what I think about it doesn't matter (fair enough). I just can't relate to what people have described, how having options would hurt the game. Maybe it's because I don't play From Software games, maybe I finally got it if I played. But I've played other games with no difficulty selection and some of those I'd consider very challenging and most who have played those would agree. The challenge has been the very intent with probably most of these challenging games , like Super Meat Boy. They also did some cool things around that challenge. Yet I personally just don't see it hurting the game if someone else adjusted the difficulty to better suit them, like with something similar to Celeste assist mode. I just can't relate. But I can empathize and relate with the opposite, people struggling either because of any disadvantages they have regarding gaming or just because they're not skilled enough. I can relate to the feeling of succeeding against overwhelming odds, it's definitely a great feeling. That feeling can be still achieved with adjustable difficulty, but if someone chose to breeze through a game it's no skin of my back. Essentially that's what it comes down to atleast for me. I can relate and understand the other argument much better, I see more positives in it than the opposition. And I definitely can't understand why Miyazaki or From Soft should be seen and treated any differently than any other dev who are making challenging games with or without options. Why should they be an exception over someone else. Which is why I've said I don't pick any favorites in this discussion, but support these options across the medium. There's plenty of different ways to implement these, how it can be done would be more reasonable and interesting discussion for me than just simple "no, don't do it/won't happen". But I'm still happy this discussion has been had in social media, articles etc and Era too.

I might have said that at one point, but as I recall it was in response to the sentiment that the method had no effect on the result and was in no way related to the result based on not really anything. If the complaint you're making is that discussion can't proceed because claims are being made that are beyond addressing, criticism or rebuttal that needs to apply both ways. "I don't think it matters" can't stand without some justification. It can't be just an even less supported opinion against theirs. Because in the eyes of those who think there is a working method to the madness, you. will. lose.

Similarly, "I don't get it" doesn't work either. "I don't get" how people understand what's going on in MOBAs. "I don't get" the joys of most MMO combat systems. "I don't get" the joys of MP only arena shooters. Those are my reasons for not playing them. But they don't justify me going into the places people discuss those games and telling them they're wrong for liking them for the reasons they do, or that those reasons are bad. "I don't get it" is a statement of taste and preference, not criticism. That isn't to say there is no criticism that can be made from a person who can't relate, or even those who can. It means that in itself being used to weaken arguments is adjacent to just not listening to those arguments.

I can empathize with both, because I've defeated games that were designed to challenge me and been defeated by others. And in that I've come to feel it's ok to put a game down, or pass a game up. Even if there are things I think I want to know about that work they've created. Those are valid choices to me. I just watched a playthrough of DMC5. That was a valid choice to me for experiencing that world due to my apparent inability to accurately time inputs or quickly and properly do directional inputs.

I'm sure Miyazaki will do very similar games to "Soulsbornekiro" or whatever they're now called in the future too. But when he doesn't and he doesn't consider the single set difficulty to be the soul of the game, atleast then I'd wish he put extra consideration on accessibility through directly adjustable difficulty. He's a clever guy, he could even come up with something others end up copying hence improving gaming altogether.

Maybe, maybe not. So far difficulty alone as a toggle works against it. Until we find a way that can truly and dynamically address the player I'm not sure there is a better way. Just let them do whatever doesn't work when you want them to do a specific thing though. That's what people mean when they say the solution of selectable difficulty doesn't match the goals set forth. Yes, you can go back to "I don't think it matters" and we can go back to "it's ok to not play a game" as we just end up rehashing that debate.

And obviously not anyone is arguing against button remapping, subtitles, separate audio sliders, ability to play with any controller, because those benefit everyone (even if not everyone uses them). Why the hell would anyone argue against that. Well actually I've seen someone at Era argue against button remapping on consoles because "it would confuse people". Consoles being simple was a reason they rather play on it than on PC. And as far controllers go, people definitely have argued against allowing any controller on console multiplayer. I'd allow that too. But these are not really about adjustable difficulty like this discussion is intended to be. Controllers are about the first access, without them you don't even get to try if the game meets your needs.

And I think I've been pretty specific what I've been condemning, it's the downplaying (denying) of adjustable difficulty as an accessibility tool. This I find unacceptable, as I've made myself clear many times. Most posts I've responded to haven't been "I wouldn't like this implementation because..." What others condemn is up to them, I can understand though and why I do I've explained.

Button remapping n consoles I don't get. Even games that support it throw you into the action with the default rather than assume you know how you want to play a game you've never played (which is another argument regarding explicit difficulty selection in a more general sense). The argument against differing controllers however is a more mechanical one. With consoles there is a default control method and allowing things that make fine tuned actions easier can be seen as providing an advantage that could be taken advantage of in competitive games. That's another debate with its own challenges and solutions though. The article here was about easy modes, and yes, as both a choice and accessibility tool.

To that, some have said there are people hiding the desire for an easy mode for able bodied players behind the fact that disabilities exist. Others like my self have just openly acknowledged that the design intent of the games this discussion actually follows is exclusionary in it's means. I think I've covered why the ideas don't work for the goals presented. conversely you can look at games with difficulty selections and how they don't have the same conversations of challenge following them or the same bredth and depth discussions of their specific challenges as a whole surrounding them even if communities spring up nonetheless.

Out of interest as I don't follow From Soft discussions, is the difficulty often discussed? (I don't come into the threads to shout they should be easier either) Have people criticized some aspects of it, how something should had been tuned differently? Are there often suggestions how the experience should had been altered to everyone, instead than making it optional? Is the creators vision then up for scrutiny, or should people just take the games as they are created or play something else.

It's not often discussed as a whole. It's more of an accepted element that no one needs to talk about. Discussion may surround whether various specific encounters or mechanics are fair or cheap. As to your last 2 questions, why would those come up? You're asking about a self selected group of players who have accepted what the games have to offer and for whom additional discussion on what the games don't offer has no bearing on the subjects they have gathered to discuss. I don't think many communities around single games or series take significant time out to discuss accessibility aside from the developers enhancing it in some way (didn't come up in earnest for destiny until they added color blindness support) or conversations like this.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I wouldn't mind more games with hard modes, like Kirby , Mario or Yoshi, Zelda got the idea eventually