• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Well, what did they learn from D1? That they can hold already made content back for over a year and trickle it out over the months for paid DLC, and players would eat it up - even without a story.

So the results seem to be, they did the same thing, except they added a story up front, and held all end game - pvp - gear content back to trickle it out over the next year and a half as paid DLC, and people will still eat it up.

We the consumers are the driving force of this kind of result. Unfortunately. So who do we blame lol.
Tales from your ass?

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
The game sold incredibly well, tens of thousands of players are still playing it, and its player population decline actually still compares favourably to other games.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyThe...mparing_destiny_2_player_population_decay_to/

I think many hardcore gamers forget that not all game design revolves around them, and that casual gamers not only make up a huge portion of the consumer base, but also the on-going player population.

It's interesting that he's doing largely a console (Destiny 2) playerbase comparison to a PC playerbase comparison without even attempting to control for the differences in those two playerbases.

It's interesting numbers, although I think what I brought up could be potentially very problematic.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
idk why people always quote this article. Literally from the damn article:

"They rebooted the first DLC pack, December 2014's The Dark Below, scant months before it was due to ship, according to two sources. (One person familiar with development says Bungie sequestered a team and had them crunch out Dark Below in just nine weeks, which may explain how insubstantial it was.)"

So again, his post was bullshit

Oct 25, 2017
I've always felt like Bungie has assumed they could continue their practices from the Halo days and communicate as little as possible with their community. Give them the weekly update, maybe respond a few times in the forums and then call it good. And that just won't cut it anymore, especially for a franchise like Destiny. It's always online and that kinda demands a company willing to engage with its players far more frequently. I do legitimately think Bungie thought D2 was an improvement, and in a lot of ways it was. Coupled with the demands of Activision, they did the best they could in the timeframe given to them. What isn't excusable is how things have been handled since launch, and I think it's the fault of the company just not being able or willing to be more transparent.

Transparency is key right now. The lack of trust with developers and publishers is at an all-time high and Bungie would be wise to basically open themselves up and be a bit more direct with their community.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bud what are you talking about? I could list 100 things but if they aren't good it doesn't matter.

A proper full fledged campaign? Should people be thankful for that? That's the bare minimum and the campaign is average at best. No one is looking back on D2's campaign and thinking wow what a great story.

Not thankful, but it's certainly a positive and enjoyable aspect of the game, and a far cry better than the campaign in not only the previous game, but most multiplayer centric shooters too, eg Battlefield, Call of Duty, Halo 5 etc.

Exotics in D2 are absolute garbage. Almost none of them are powerful or interesting. Many of the best exotics in D2 are reworked exotics from D1.

I somewhat agree, but this is partly because many exotics in D1 were simply ridiculously OP. Stuff like Gjallarhorn, Suros Regime, Vex Mythoclast, The Last Word, Thorn etc, many of which needed several nerfs. Whilst exotics in D2 aren't as OP or beneficial, at least weapons, on the whole, are far better balanced, and you don't need to no life the game to get all the good stuff, like you did in D1. Hell, I put 300 hours into D1, did the Raid multiple times et all, and never got a Gjallarhorn from a single drop. The game had insidious RnG systems that had no respect for player time.

PvP is abhorrent easily their biggest failure as evidenced by the PvP community's abandoning of it and Twitch streamers doing the same.

Abhorrent? Lol. It's not as good as D1, but I'd hardly call it abhorrent. It's fun, reasonably well balanced and controls great, the problem for me is the team kill aspect of it. If you're someone who prefers team killing and staying in packs, you'll likely enjoy it, if you're someone who prefers 1v1's and 1v2's, 1v3's etc, you probably won't as much.

D2 has a content problem. As in the content of the game isn't very good AND there's not much to do in the end game.

Well, that's your opinion but I strongly disagree, and evidently, journalists did too given it reviewed very well (85% on meta with 93 reviews).

I personally think it has a massive amount of content, pretty much more than any other shooter out there. Easily enough for me to personally sink over 200+ hours into it, and enjoy most of it. How much end game content there is really depends on how much free time a person has. If you're someone who games for hours and hours on end, each and every day, of course endgame content will be limited. If however, you're a casual player who can only invest so much time, there's enough in D2 to last months.

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
idk why people always quote this article. Literally from the damn article:

"They rebooted the first DLC pack, December 2014's The Dark Below, scant months before it was due to ship, according to two sources. (One person familiar with development says Bungie sequestered a team and had them crunch out Dark Below in just nine weeks, which may explain how insubstantial it was.)"

So again, his post was bullshit
Also from that article:

In today's Destiny, Rasputin doesn't do much but listen to classical music in a steel bunker on Earth, but in the 2013 version, he would have starred in a more prominent role. Alien Hive would have kidnapped the machine and brought him to their Dreadnaught spaceship, which was later cut from vanilla Destiny and moved to The Taken King. Originally, this Hive ship would have been part of the main story. "The entire last third of the game took place on the Dreadnaught with you rescuing Rasputin," said one person who worked on the game.

Before anyone could be redeemed, Bungie had to ship The Taken King, which had been going through its own set of development issues. Pre-production on this expansion, which was code-named Comet, had started in late 2013. Two sources say the original plan was to release this major expansion at $60 and include a brand new planet, Europa, as well as a new area on Earth called the European Dead Zone (which itself had been pushed back from vanilla Destiny). They also hoped to add a totally new feature called multiple fireteam activities, which a source described like this: "Imagine like you and I are in a fireteam, and we're fighting down this one path that converges with two other paths and you get three fireteams all fighting together against a boss, or against some sort of mobs."

None of that happened. In March of 2014, Bungie rebooted Comet, sources say. The team ultimately decided to focus it around a single major map—the Hive ship that had been cut from vanilla Destiny—as well as a new public space on Mars, complete with strikes and a new raid. (That entire last Mars chunk was later cut and passed to Activision subsidiary High Moon Studios to develop for Destiny's full-sized 2016 sequel, a source said. They're helping Bungie make the game.) Over the months, Bungie kept rescoping as they looked more realistically at what they could do, and the final version of The Taken King—the one that shipped last month—wound up focusing solely on the Dreadnaught.

What was to be the last third of vanilla Destiny was later sold as an expansion based solely upon that location. And lets add the fact that they also added MTX in to have the playerbase cover some of the costs of Bungie not having their shit together.

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to be incredibly disingenuous, yeah you can say "they cut content to sell it to you later" while ignoring absolutely all context and reasoning for cutting the content or why it needed to be cut at the time and stage of development.

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
If you want to be incredibly disingenuous, yeah you can say "they cut content to sell it to you later" while ignoring absolutely all context and reasoning for cutting the content or why it needed to be cut at the time and stage of development.
Game development is crazy hard work, shit happens, and we can get lost in the weeds of it. But ultimately vanilla Destiny was not at all the game that was originally intended in terms of content, and we only saw that content much later on in paid expansions, and in Destiny 2.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Also from that article:

What was to be the last third of vanilla Destiny was later sold as an expansion based solely upon that location. And lets add the fact that they also added MTX in to have the playerbase cover some of the costs of Bungie not having their shit together.
What in that quote gives you the indication that they intentionally cut back content to sell it piece meal later. If anything the wording implies the content was already cut (for a clearly ambiguous reason) and ended up being retooled for the DLC. This happens in lots of game development and often times this cut content is retooled into sequels or dlc.

Oct 25, 2017
Game development is crazy hard work, shit happens, and we can get lost in the weeds of it. But ultimately vanilla Destiny was not at all the game that was originally intended in terms of content, and we only saw that content much later on in paid expansions, and in Destiny 2.
It's kind of a non-issue though? Heck even in one of your posted excerpts content that was pushed off to Destiny 2 never made it to the final game. There isn't some nefarious reason behind it, the development of these games has just been that incredibly poorly managed that content that's been planned and worked on for over half a decade still can't make it into a game.

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got my $60 worth but it's funny thinking back on D1 how I didn't see the hype and thought people where blowing the game up for no reason, only to rent it on a whim a week after launch and became utterly enamored with it through TTK vs D2 where I could see the writing on the wall that things where going in a direction I didn't like but I still bought it anyway a day after release against my better judgement.

Haven't played it in about a month, and I probably haven't been actively interested in what I was doing in the game since about week 2 or 3. Game is a pretty big disappointment, and I highly doubt Bungie is gonna fix the design issues plaguing it until the third TTK sized expansion in a year at the earliest but I wouldn't be surprised the shallow endgame, boring pvp, uninspired loot, and recycled assets are here to stay till Destiny 3.

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
It's kind of a non-issue though? Heck even in one of your posted excerpts content that was pushed off to Destiny 2 never made it to the final game. There isn't some nefarious reason behind it, the development of these games has just been that incredibly poorly managed that content that's been planned and worked on for over half a decade still can't make it into a game.
Well I certainly don't think they twirled their mustaches and laughed as they made these decisions. I'm just talking about the end result which is that content meant for launch wasn't ready and was later packaged as an expansion in the case of the Dreadnaught, and in new areas in Destiny 2. And because Bungie couldn't produce the amount and quality of content they had planned for, players got saddled with complicated and grindy drip-feed progression systems and later microtransactions, which have further affected the systems of the game.

My main takeaway is that Bungie doesn't do rapid. But because they promised exactly that to Activision the games have been bent towards trying to make do with less, to their detriment.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
DPk9snTU8AA6SSV.jpg

lol....

It must be so annoying to work on games nowadays where if you put anything out but the non-existent ideal game people have imagined in their heads you're supposed to "resign".

Video game fans are the worst people. If you don't like Destiny 2 just play a different game. Don't waste more of your life bitching and crying to the developers because you feel entitled to something you did zero work on.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
DPk9snTU8AA6SSV.jpg

lol....

It must be so annoying to work on games nowadays where if you put anything out but the non-existent ideal game people have imagined in their heads you're supposed to "resign".

Video game fans are the worst people. If you don't like Destiny 2 just play a different game. Don't waste more of your life bitching and crying to the developers because you feel entitled to something you did zero work on.

There are plenty of people that are worse than the most rabid of video game fans.

Digital

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
DPk9snTU8AA6SSV.jpg

lol....

You obviously haven't heard of movie/comic fans.

Also, scrub the world entitled from your vocabulary. It's such a cop-out argument.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
DPk9snTU8AA6SSV.jpg

lol....

Well if you bought the game and you fit the first bullet point their assumption was correct.

Compsiox

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DPk9snTU8AA6SSV.jpg

lol....

There are many examples of people acting entitled in relation to games and this is not one of them. Most of those points are valid. Bungie/Activision have purposely mislead players in some cases.