• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lojo

Oct 27, 2017
You are telling me something as informative of our identities and who we are as sexual identity and gender identity can be picked on the fly and it doesn't in any way effect how the character interacts with the world other than who they fuck isn't a blank slate?

In the real world sexual and gender identity are not a choice. In works of fiction those things are inherently a choice by a creator, video games are just one of the few mediums where creators can give options to people. I don't think that giving people those options should necessarily mean weaker character writing.

And I guess when I see blank slate, I think of games like the Fallout 3 where the created main characters barely emote, or silent protagonists like Gordon Freeman. While characters like Kassandra or Shepard feel like they have more personality to them then most set characters in games. I wouldn't describe either as "soulless".

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
If what had to happen (for future entries, dlc or whatever) was the extension of their bloodline, how do you think they could have written around this? I saw someone mentioned 'sci-fi stuff'. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when we take control of Kass or Alex - aren't these characters actually in that time period, more or less, where they might not have a vat of science-fictionness with which to create life? Would they not be stuck to the means that were available then?
The protagonist, from the beginning of the game through the end, is equipped with a sci-fi-magic spear that allows them, among other things, to become invisible, teleport, shoot hard-light arrows that pierce through everything and disintegrate bodies. By the end of the game
the protagonist has the a sci-fi-magic staff that renders them immortal and can alter reality, as well as functions as the key to the greatest repository of knowledge the sci-fi-magic precursor race had.

So no, they would not be stuck to the "means that were available then".

Either way, the argument is pointless because the story they wanted to tell was one where your character was romantically linked to a specific person of the opposite gender and sex and in addition to that, they decide that having a child is necessary because of bloodline reasons. The story Ubisoft Singapore wanted to tell was conflicting with the spirit of the game from moment one.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's amazing how much "The creator has a story they want to tell" is thrown out there to excuse stupid decisions as if the writers can't be critized because it's their work, not ours and we have no right to say anything about it.

Literally one of the stupidest fucking arguments I have ever seen

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
An apology is a start. Now fix the dlc so this isn't a mandatory part of it and we can talk about forgiveness.
They're not gonna fix the DLC.

Dev pipeline doesn't work like that, and chances are the Director for Odyssey that's issuing the apology didn't even work on the DLC, given the DLC is made by Ubisoft Singapore.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've not played an AC for years, but don't all characters have to have children because you get their memories in the Animus from the bloodlines?

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I've not played an AC for years, but don't all characters have to have children because you get their memories in the Animus from the bloodlines?
others have already said no but for a clearer answer- in origins and odyssey they use a new version of the animus that simply requires dna samples and the user doesnt need to be a descendant.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Throwing out player agency when it's explicitly a selling point is troubling in and of itself, but even if they pigeonholed themselves into this nonsense, they could've come up with all sorts of ways to get around having to procreate with a specific goddamn person because the plot mandates it for some reason, especially considering the numerous amounts of scifi crap already in the game and in the series in general.

This reeks of poor inter-team dev communication, and a baffling lack of foresight and planning. It's incompetence, plain and simple, the same kind that cost Bioware a fuckton of goodwill over Mass Effect 3's ending.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Looks like they're adjusting the story and the name of the trophy based on the feedback.

Hey everyone,
After hearing player feedback and discussing within the development team we are making changes to a cutscene and some dialogue in Shadow Heritage to better reflect the nature of the relationship for players selecting a non-romantic storyline. These changes, along with renaming a trophy/achievement, are being made now and will be implemented in an upcoming patch.
We've also been carefully looking at the next episode, Bloodline, to ensure the paths that players experience mirror the choices they make in game.