• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Blizzard of all companies is being told they aren't making enough money?

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
...Aren't all video game companies trying to ship more games at lower costs?

HotS has never done very well sadly even after they revamped it a while back.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
I posted this during the Diablo fiasco but I'll post it again. Steve Jobs might have been a douche but he was right about this.

Blizzard's creative people are gone and now they are replaced by people who only focus on numbers.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
Considering how much WoW BFA is in the shitter too im not surprised. Something is going on at Blizzard and its not good.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Activision finalizing the ouster of all the old guard and bringing in their accountants to run Blizzard.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
Activision slowly ruining Blizzard.

Blizzard is making tons of money for them, but i guess it's not enough for Bobby.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard was pushing the "More games in development than any other time in history" line at Blizzcon which I found odd. No one loves Blizzard for their quantity output. They love them for the quality and this news seems to reinforce they are ready to sacrifice quality for quantity.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
After what they shipped as BfA and the cluster fuck that was recent Blizzcon, I have low expectations for their future output.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
What did Blizzard think was going to happen when they merged with Activision? I saw the end coming as soon as this partnership was announced.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
RIP Blizzard. I'm not saying they can't still make good games I just think it's almost impossible to make a game profitable enough for the shareholders who always want increases. They have maximum greed and it's going to make all their games shit.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta admit, this took a lot longer than expected. But it was expected nonetheless.
The Activision merger was only ever a good deal for them in the short term.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Time for Activision to burn through all the good will Blizzard has built up and toss the husk aside when they're done.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't HOTS the third best MOBA in terms of popularity right now? Losing only to the juggernauts DOTA 2 and LoL.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
In all seriousness I wouldn't mind a Lost Vikings 3 in the same spirit as the first two games.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Will the people saying Morhime stepping down wont change anything come in here to eat their crow?

This is lightning speed for a company with the history and size of Blizzard, Morhime is barely retired this year, and we are already seeing the signs of Activision over Blizzard.

Athena

Dec 10, 2018
Probably just not making enough money to please Acti's unreasonable shareholders.

I imagine this is it.

Black Ops 4's ridiculous $500M (or so, can't exactly remember) opening week/weekend was, to my knowledge, not nearly enough to satisfy ATVI's shareholders .. despite smashing records. Evidently, they don't just want some of the money. They gotta have all of the money.

Vervain

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't looked at financials, so I'm totally talking out of my arse here, but I assume based on this that the revenue Blizzard have been pulling in towards the Acti-Bliz entity has been dropping recently, without any changes to costs, and the Activision head honchos have potentially become fed up with always bearing the brunt of any restructures or significant firings in the company.

I imagine the real gist behind this is something like revenue from WoW is dropping, there's no real in-game monetisation in Diablo 3 and the re-release/DLC didn't really move the dial, Hearthstone player numbers are dropping as competition grows, StarCraft 2 wasn't as bit of a success as they'd hoped, Heroes of ththe Storm was an outright disaster, and then whatever is happening in Overwatch.

Hopefully we don't see any reductions in quality from this, but I imagine this is part of the reason we're getting Warcraft 3 Reforged and Diablo Immortal.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
It has been pretty clear that Activision influence was growing over Blizzard over the years. This year is probably the most noticeable with Morhaime leaving the company.

W3 Reforged for sure will have some microtransactions like skins and stuff. I had hoped they would be in-game but alas in the light of the recent news I'm not hopeful.

Last edited:

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Will the people saying Morhime stepping down wont change anything come in here to eat their crow?

This is lightning speed for a company with the history and size of Blizzard, Morhime is barely retired this year, and we are already seeing the signs of Activision over Blizzard.

Eh this was set in motion a while ago, the devs Schreier talked to about Diablo said as much. The cause and effect is probably reversed here.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
It's a shame to see this happen to a huge name like Blizzard. This mentality of bigger profits per game is unrealistic and ultimately damaging for the gaming industry and it's a shame more publishers are following the trend. Developers are burnt out, but that doesn't mean fire them and treat them like livestock. Perhaps focus more on creative freedom and what makes developers and fans most happy and excited instead of having game diarrhea. Fuck this new corporate consolidation of the gaming industry. It benefits the few and hurts the many.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
They shipped a terrible wow expansion that was not ready to be shipped so that's not much of a surprise
This mandate is probably why they were adamant about the release date being so soon when it was clear to just about everyone the systems needed more iteration. The more we hear about the push for more games, the more recent Blizzard announcements have been making sense.