• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
6NrVtGO.jpg

Hey, I realise plenty of people have probably already seen this, but I didn't notice that much discussion on the topic so I thought it'd be worth making a thread! Jason slipped a small line into his Viking Assassin's Creed piece that confirms, just as hinted by the patched ending for Watch Dogs 2, Watch Dogs 3 will be set in London:

Odd Tease in The Division 2 Spills The Beans on the Next Assassin's Creed

A new patch for Watch Dogs 2 also dropped a major clue for Watch Dogs 3, telling the world that it would be set in London (which it is).
I'm pretty intrigued, honestly. I've always wanted to play an open world game set in a city I'm actually a tiny bit familiar with - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate's Victorian London is the closest I've ever gotten, I suppose - and it'll be interesting to see how they work contemporary concerns about the British surveillance state into the game, though I'm not exactly holding my breath for anything profound.

I'm hopeful - though not necessarily confident - that this means those other rumours, about the game de-emphasising gunplay in favour of social stealth, hacking, non-violent options, and melee, will pan out. Guns are much harder to come by here, after all. I'm thinking, like... Cyberpunk Hacker Sleeping Dogs? Ideally with some more RPG stuff - feed me more dialogue trees, Ubisoft, and at least the option to play as a woman - layered on top.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
As for deemphasising guns, the last game had the ability to 3D print guns so they'll just probably do that for all guns I guess

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
About time we get another modern open world that is not based on the US. Its probably why I really liked Sleeping Dogs.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
San Fran was really well done in WD2 so I've been looking forward to seeing their take on London. Should be interesting.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
I think we already had a bunch of threads on this and the article isnt very new it was from 2017. As for watch dog 3 I think London is a great setting!

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
As for deemphasising guns, the last game had the ability to 3D print guns so they'll just probably do that for all guns I guess
If they're intent on making the gunplay worse than it was in 1 like it was in 2 I'd rather just have guns be like 10% of the combat.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
As someone who had zero interest in WD1, and very small tangential interest in WD2, this is pretty appealing. Like others have said, we definitely need more open world games outside of the USA.

That aren't Assassin's Creed. Modern day games.

OP
OP
Breqesk

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
oh, i imagine you'll still be able to get them, but i'm hoping the game:
A. gives you even more good non-gun-based options, ideally revolving around hacking and non-violent solutions. kinda immersive sim-y.
B. makes using guns much riskier than it was previously

honestly, something akin to how sleeping dogs handled guns, crossed with, like, a deus ex, is closest to what i'm imagining.

I think we already had a bunch of threads on this and the article isnt very new it was from 2017. As for watch dog 3 I think London is a great setting!
... it's from, like, yesterday tho

Shortiloe

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
As someone who had zero interest in WD1, and very small tangential interest in WD2, this is pretty appealing. Like others have said, we definitely need more open world games outside of the USA.

That aren't Assassin's Creed. Modern day games.

Totally agree with that.
Europe and Asia for Example have both so much Potential for Open World Games.

The Saboteur was one of them.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
The gunplay always felt incongruous with the characters and narrative. May as well further push it to the back burner. Watch dogs 2 felt like it had more identity than other open world games, esp Ubisoft games.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
London is prime real estate for what Watch Dogs wants to focus on.

I actually wonder if they'll really try to focus on sluething while combat is more taken as a last resort.

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I wonder what kind of weird melee weapon you'll get in this one? I liked the pool ball on a rope from WD2.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
glad it's confirmed this rumour has been going around for a long time.

i loved Watch Dogs 2 so i'm super excited for this.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Ubisoft doing what Rockstar don't

I've always wanted an open world game in London. Even better coming from Ubisoft, since they have some amazing artists.

Day one

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
That'll be interesting. I hope we still have violent options though, just a MUCH bigger focus on non-lethal if the main character isn't a crazy person like Aiden.

OP
OP
Breqesk

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Click the watch dog link in OP, its from February 2017
... i am the op, and the relevant article is from yesterday. the one you're talking about is linked in the piece i'm referencing, but it isn't the important bit:

Odd Tease in The Division 2 Spills The Beans on the Next Assassin's Creed

A new patch for Watch Dogs 2 also dropped a major clue for Watch Dogs 3, telling the world that it would be set in London (which it is).

That '(which it is)' is quoted from the piece Jason wrote yesterday, and it confirms what the article you're talking about speculated--that Watch Dogs 3 will be set in London.

Oh yes, will get if they tone down the forced "hey kids" bs.
i want 'em to go full hack the planet tbh

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I personally wouldn't want to see them omit guns from Watch Dogs; the shooting was one of the highlights of the first game, and Watch Dogs 2 introduced a number of non-lethal firearms that were fun to use. Both Marcus and Aiden worked as guys who would use any method to get the job done, though the former was more gadget-based.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Oh yes, will get if they tone down the forced "hey kids" bs.
I'm telling you as a young person, they capture "youth culture" better than any game I've seen before, it's not fellow kids because it is how people act, it's a bunch of kinda wanky but generally fun to hang with crew of idealists. Plus, a game about fun hacker prankster types should be fun and not the sad as hell ultra edgy and gritty WD1 style.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds really interesting. I imagine London's CCTV cameras will play a big role in the hacking system for this game. I really appreciate the chance to see other countries get the modern open world treatment. I wonder if the tone of the game will be similar to WD2's, or if it will return to a more gang/organized crime theme like the original.