• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Today, Marvel (under Disney) said that it is ending its relationship with Gazillion Entertainment, who publishes Marvel Heroes. In an e-mail, a Marvel representative wrote:

"We regret to inform our Marvel Heroes fans that we have ended our relationship with Gazillion Entertainment, and that the Marvel Heroes games will be shut down. We would like to sincerely thank the players who joined the Marvel Heroes community, and will provide any further updates as they become available."

https://kotaku.com/disney-shuts-dow...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

See EA and Disney are perfect match.

Deleted member 300

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well they absolutey destroyed the game and left pc players in dark with everything while they forced console on everyone, they completey changed the whole game on pc including mechanics of everything just to introduce in a console port. the players they had on pc were basically hardcore fans who spent loads of money, and once brevik and doomsaw left and then ryolnir shit went south, then david doorman came in who its now come out hes a shady fucker and has a massive scandal on him of doing sexual harrasement.

Flarin

Oct 28, 2017
That's one of those games I always meant to get around to but never did. Seemed like it was doing well though. Bummer for those that enjoy playing it. Hopefully this doesn't lead to any layoffs.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All I know about this game is that Anthony from 1-up was working on it. Hope gazillion keeps him around

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
I downloaded it as soon as it came to PS4, thinking "I'll definitely start this up once there's lull between games I want to play."

Guess that was another benefit of 2017 being wall-to-wall full of great games.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't a Marvel MOBA teased a while ago possibly being published by Bethesda/Zenimax?

Nocchi

Oct 30, 2017
wtf? does this include marvel heroes omega? That version came out not that long ago.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't a Marvel MOBA teased a while ago possibly being published by Bethesda/Zenimax?
I suspect that would be more of a hero shooter.

The Marvel MOBA is made by a Korean outfit:

20160829012612a0ehxtho5plf.jpg

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
well they absolutey destroyed the game and left pc players in dark with everything while they forced console on everyone, they completey changed the whole game on pc including mechanics of everything just to introduce in a console port. the players they had on pc were basically hardcore fans who spent loads of money, and once brevik and doomsaw left and then ryolnir shit went south, then david doorman came in who its now come out hes a shady fucker and has a massive scandal on him of doing sexual harrasement.
yeah i thought about getting back into heroes, but I heard they changed up the whole thing and people weren't happy

what exactly did they do?

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
This game had its share controversy so I guess it's a fitting end for it to just pull the rug out from underneath the player base like this.

Remember them renaming it to fix their Metacritic score? Yeesh...

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, just the other day in the Diablo clone thread I mentioned I thought this was a great podcast game but it had taken a bad turn. It's a bummer it went down this way. I've a hard time imagining another similarly styled game being worked on.

Nocchi

Oct 30, 2017
This really is sudden, because it says on xbox.com that a Marvel Heroes Omega Xbox One X enhancement patch was in development. this sucks.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
All of that happened? Goddamn....

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This surprises me as someone who had never played it. It seemed to be fairly popular from an outsiders perspective

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, I feel bad for anyone who spent money on the console port. Some of those prices were pretty high too. Shit.

Hetz

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow. This sucks! I was eagerly awaiting the Xbox One X Enhancement patch.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Disney will be the new worst when it comes to shutting down fairly popular projects and developers, won't they? They're doing pretty well so far to be on this course :/

Deleted member 300

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
short summarary, the player base on pc was small (this was with brevik at the helm) he use to live stream every week with his wife and play the game and just chat with everyone it was a small community of up to about 10k players max on pc then but they all spent alot of money and it was fairly tight, they went through layoffs after layoffs and then they pushed doomsaw and brevik out who were mostly the masterminds behind the game, and then the new ceo came about and they decided to overhaul every system in the game down to how all 50 heroes skill mechanically function and the movement of the game in general and had pc players test all this stuff and get it fine tuned, then once it was launched to pc, they announce oh by the way console version inbound dont expect much more stuff on pc and they basically then went dark with their pc players.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I'm not surprised. Game was a mess on console. You can tell that this game was the result of a lot of hard work on a shoe string budget. It really needed a shot in the arm or a remake from the bottom up.

The idea was excellent but the execution was flawed.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What a shame. I dropped off the game in a big way over the last 2 years, but I always held out hope that someday, maybe it might get better. I preferred Marvel Heroes to other Diablo-likes such as Path of Exile because it was just coated in fanservice. I loved seeing how my favourite Marvel characters were represented in game. Nothing in a Diablo-like has ever been as enjoyable as raining down death as 80s Mohawk Storm.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow that's out of nowhere. Used to play the game a while back but it felt like they just didn't really know what direction to take things.

Nov 4, 2017
Baltimore, MD
Ouch that hurts. Played this more than any other online game except maybe Team Fortress Classic in the 90s. Spent a lot on it too. However the changes they made the past year ruined it and just didn't enjoy it anymore.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Holy crap, they better at least offer some sort of refund to those who put money into the console versions.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, I have a friend who works at Gazillion. Really hurts to hear this.

Deleted member 1185

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didnt this just come out? I only bought the starter pack and spent a bunch of money on it just a month or two ago, i swear it was a pretty recent release on PS4

Is all of my money gone then? I spent probably a good 80 dollars :( and i assume Playstation wont offer refunds

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
short summarary, the player base on pc was small (this was with brevik at the helm) he use to live stream every week with his wife and play the game and just chat with everyone it was a small community of up to about 10k players max on pc then but they all spent alot of money and it was fairly tight, they went through layoffs after layoffs and then they pushed doomsaw and brevik out who were mostly the masterminds behind the game, and then the new ceo came about and they decided to overhaul every system in the game down to how all 50 heroes skill mechanically function and the movement of the game in general and had pc players test all this stuff and get it fine tuned, then once it was launched to pc, they announce oh by the way console version inbound dont expect much more stuff on pc and they basically then went dark with their pc players.

OK ... so all of that sucks. But what's your source on this part?

then david doorman came in who its now come out hes a shady fucker and has a massive scandal on him of doing sexual harrasement.

Because that's probably the reason Disney cut ties with the studio and shut the game down without warning, if true.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
you got to be kidding me, When i got the X last week, I had just given my friends kid my Xbox One S on...Sunday? He was super excited to play Marvel Heroes, I just downloaded it myself so he can play online with someone he knows at least.....I don't have nice things to say, so I won't say them..

Not happy. Now I get to explain to him that Disney (which he loves) are nothing but big Fun Sponges...and that is putting it politely.

TimFL

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
was the game struggling? It seemed fairly popular.
AFAIK it had 500 daily players on Steam for months. Few years ago it had 5000.

They've effectively killed their game with the "Biggest Update Ever" that dumbed down most of the games gameplay to streamline it with the (then unannounced) console port. That's when most of the active/hardcore fans left.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I played it for a little bit real early on but those type of Diablo games aren't my favorite. I have a hard time playing them for more than a few hours. Seems abrupt from the outside but from posts in this thread it may have been some time coming.