• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I'm with the majority consensus in this thread (and happy to find it's a consensus): there is too much bloat in open world / rpgs. Great. Give me a more compact, tighter quality over quantity experience.

I'm playing Mutant Year Zero right now and at the end after about 20 hours, and it feels perfect. I love the game to death but because it's a tight experience. I wouldnt' want it to drag on to Xcom lengths of a 60 hour campaign.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm quite fine with that, if the initial serving is great and sells enough, I'm sure they're gonna expand once they build the IP.

Bigger isn't always better. Horizon had a smaller open world than most and was better for it. I personally think that a lot of open world games have overdone the scale, and not focused enough on the moment to moment stuff. I'm HAPPY to hear that Outer Worlds will be smaller than Fallout.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I love me some carefully crafted content. I don't need tons of content、as long as a 100% playthrough is of sufficient length to justify the price.

Deleted member 10060

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's about the depth of content. I'm frankly sick of massive open worlds with little actual substance. It's nice to look at, but I want some tight/concise storytelling and writing there as well. Hand crafted missions etc. Vegas had a lot of that and was great. But I'm ok not having a large world like that

Completely agree. I'd gladly take a focused and fun ten hour game, than another bloated open world with nothing interesting to do for half the time.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm happy to see a return to a KotOR/Mass Effect 1 style of multiple Hubs! For a game set in space, it makes a lot more sense to have the player visit multiple smaller planets rather than one big land mass.

The smaller scale of the game means Obsidian can focus on depth, rather than just filling the world with filler.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Completely agree. I'd gladly take a focused and fun ten hour game, than another bloated open world with nothing interesting to do for half the time.
I mean, if it's gonna be KotOR II but denser, you're looking at more of a thirty to fifty hour game, depending on how completionist you're feeling.

Buddeh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bigger does not equal better.

(That's what she said...)

maxresdefault.jpg

Deleted member 10060

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if it's gonna be KotOR II but denser, you're looking at more of a thirty to fifty hour game, depending on how completionist you're feeling.

Which is still far better than spending 200 hours in a game just because it needed to be filled with endless content. I honestly don't mind the 30-50 hour experience, that's kind of where I come from, after playing a lot of JRPGs in the PS1 days. But these days it feels like every game needs to be so huge, that I have no chance of playing them, so I'd rather have some ten hour games thrown in just so I can actually get to the end credits once in a while.

It sucks, there are so many games the past couple of years that I really want to play, but I just can't due to the size.

Erevador

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping for a more finished version of something like what Obsidian did with Kotor II.

Looking forward to this one.

Mitsurugi

Alt-account
Dec 11, 2018
I'm fine with that. I'll take a better experience than a game that's huge, runs on rock age engine and glitchy af

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Smaller map has never automatically meant a game would feel more "fulfilling", imo...New Vegas most CERTAINLY wasn't this gigantic open world, they could have definitely filled in alot of that space with either more activity, more points of interest, or both...

Gonna go on and read the link and decide for myself whether or not this is purely speculation...

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
I'm alright with it. I'm in it for their style of actual RPG gameplay and not for some expansive open but boring and forgettable world ala. Bethesda.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the game is just a bigger, denser KOTOR II with multiple planets to visit I'll be delighted.

Down the line I hope to see Obsidian create an IP that is to Star Wars what Mass Effect is to Stark Trek, something adjacent to it that they have complete control over it. If there's a studio I trust to pull it off it's Obsidian.

I'd also be cool with MS negotiating the rights to reboot KOTOR though.

JarlRaven

Nov 8, 2017
There were large swathes of walking through empty wasteland (which could be argued is a component of "immersion" I guess) in New Vegas that was just filler time so I'm completely okay with this. Give me hubs of playspace like Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines/Deus Ex over gigantic open world any day.

Last edited:

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Good. "Massive open world" is more of a turnoff than a selling-point to me these days.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Well, if it's larger than KOTOR 1/2 I am ok with that. Nothing wrong with hub based gameplay.

That said I didn't find New Vegas particularlyarfe as far as open world games go.