• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines worked out with its compact hubs. Rest assured, if Outer Worlds is a success Microsoft will finance a bigger, more open sequel.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
This is fantastic news, I've missed well designed and highly detailed hubs rather than a large world that's devoid of detail.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
20-25 hours is more than fine, afaik Private Division titles are digital only

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's about the depth of content. I'm frankly sick of massive open worlds with little actual substance. It's nice to look at, but I want some tight/concise storytelling and writing there as well. Hand crafted missions etc. Vegas had a lot of that and was great. But I'm ok not having a large world like that
Yeah. Never been a fan of the "wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle" RPG design philosophy. Give me a deep pond lol.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
thats fine, I have faith in obsidian.

To me this is the game to set them back on top and also to show microsoft you can get this stuff on a grand scale with more funding.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds good to me.

I don't have the time for sprawling 100hr + games I like RPGs but they've had to be a rare treat as I can't dedicate a massive amount of time to them nowadays.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ain't going in wanting a massive open world. Going in looking for a RPG. Which is Obsidian's forte. Unlike open worlds, which wasn't New Vegas' strong suit, and that's not a bad thing.

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
That's fine. I have a large backlog anyway. Would be refreshing to start a narrative driven RPG I can complete in 2 weeks or less.

KefkaPalazzo

Oct 25, 2017
That's fine, I don't want them trying to do too much for the sake of extra content that isn't of a higher quality. It's not an AAA game with the budget or time to justify that anyways...don't try to be something you aren't. I will be eagerly awaiting a big budget game from them with Microsoft after this proves a success.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"While we aren't discussing the exact amount of areas, a good bit of context for the approach is to think of what we did in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, with potentially more ground to cover and explore in each area," Dowling said in an e-mail.

Considering KOTOR I and II are amongst my all time favourite games, I have no complaint about this.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This part also blows my mind a bit.
The Outer Worlds, which has been in development since late 2016, is published by Private Division, a label of Take-Two Interactive (parent company of 2K and Rockstar) designed to make "AA" games.

The game has been in development for only two years.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
I can't say New Vegas was gigantic though? But I'm more than fine with a compact RPG game, 20-40 hours for is more than enough. I'm currently playing too much long 50+ hours games at once and I hate myself for that because I basically playing only them for a few months and fucked up my backlog cleaning pacing greatly. I would rather prefer hand-crafted short experiences against huge empty AAA sandbox junk.

WieDerrickWie

Jul 4, 2018
A shorter more compact New Vegas style game sounds great to me. Give me a 10-20 hour RPG that is vastly replayable.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Knowing Obsidian and given how successful I imagine this game will be, I think this will be a game worth purchasing the season pass for. I expect very good things.

Last edited:

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was New Vegas big? I replayed it earlier in the year and it didn't seem that big to me.

Oct 27, 2017
That's good. I do not trust Obsidian at all when it comes to making a polished product that isnt isometric, and keeping it from being open world should help alleviate some of my fears.

New Vegas was a worse launch for me than Fallout 76.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
25-hour, AA title incoming. Makes total sense given what Private Division typically funds. And that should be a really enjoyable romp into the world & lore.

The sequel probably goes 80-hour, AAAA truly open-world when funded by Microsoft for Windows 10 & NeXbox exclusivity.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was New Vegas big? I replayed it earlier in the year and it didn't seem that big to me.

It was big enough to have 80+ hours of content including many quests having quite a few solutions to them and the game itself supporting various play styles driven by what skills you picked. Its map may not have been the largest or most packed with buildings but it was a very big game.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
damn. I can see a lot of people opting for Fallout 76 instead then, it has a map even larger than Fallout 4. That's a lot more content hours.

Picking up bottles is not "content".

Big enough. I'm not sure what the "hundreds of hours" is supposed to be citing either, but a single playthrough didn't take that long. NV took me around fifty or sixty per playthrough, and I wasn't rushing.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
I don't mind it being smaller than New Vegas at all but what concerns me is the very short development time and the structure of the game.
Reading the article it doesn't seem like a "proper" open-world game, potentially lots of loading screens and barriers.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Prefer this. It's good news. Burned out wasting time with brain dead traversal getting from one side of the map to another to collect one thing.

Giant crabs and open world are two things I've over in gaming. As long as there's no giant crabs, Obsidian's new game is on the right track.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind it being smaller than New Vegas at all but what concerns me is the very short development time and the structure of the game, it doesn't seem like a "proper" open-world game.

Well, the preview didn't actually look all that open either. If anything, it seemed more like an "openish linear" styled game, similar to Mass Effect, or as others have mentioned: KOTOR. I'm sick to death of these huge, vapid worlds anyway.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
New Vegas really wasn't that big (map wise). It had a lot of content because you could tackle almost every situation in several different ways with different repercussions

If this is lacking in outer worlds I'll be disappointed

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Considering the budget, this doesn't surprise me at all. Actually if anything, it's a good things being the first entry in a new series.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
New Vegas ain't even that big, it just takes you 900 years to walk anywhere because you move like a snail.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Not every open world game needs to be bigger than the previous one. I would gladly play the game if it has 20 hours of quality content. The urge of developers to have a big open world with a lot of mediocre content is really annoying.

Oct 30, 2017
It's Obsidian. I'm not worried about world size. I know it'll be packed with content I want to play that will last a while. It's Obsidian.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Understandable. Just give me a strong narrative that's heavy on user choice and I'll be more than satisfied.