• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Well if it's like Vampire Bloodlines which took around 40 hours to finish, with every main and side quest done.. in this case the replayability is more important than the fact if it's a 100-hour game

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm perfectly fine with this. The last game that got the world size completely right was Mankind Divided. We need to go back to smaller worlds.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
While I was hoping for something a bit meatier, falling in that KOTOR/Deus Ex/Mass Effect 2 range isn't the worst thing in the world or even cause for concern.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Was New Vegas big? I replayed it earlier in the year and it didn't seem that big to me.

It's definitely not gigantic if you compare it to new open-world games -and even not so new. Kotaku's headline here is a bit disingenuous. I think what they're trying to say is that New Vegas is gigantic compared to The Outer Worlds.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
All I care about are good games made cheap enough so that the studio and series don't fucking die when they don't hit whatever absurd breakeven point they targeted.

Please.

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
they are working on another game right now, lead programmer for outer worlds switched to that other project, not that surprising

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in. Like people said in this thread Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines was based around a small central hub and it was a really great game so it can work. People need to tamper their expectations considering the AA scope. Obsidian always try different thing and whether they are successful or not they are at least fairly interesting to play.

New Vegas had a much smaller map than 3, heck some people called it an expansion of 3 back then but it had many different paths and factions and they were much better fleshed out than 3 (and 4 lol).

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
"While we aren't discussing the exact amount of areas, a good bit of context for the approach is to think of what we did in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, with potentially more ground to cover and explore in each area,"

Sounds absolutely perfect to me. KotOR II's still my favourite game, and I've been wishing RPG devs would at least try going back to that model of 'sorta open world' design, with small, dense areas separated by a travel mechanic like a ship, for years.

From the KotOR, to Mass Effect, to Dragon Age - and everything in-between - the vast majority of my all-time favourite games have used that structure.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the game is really like KOTOR II, I'll be completing several playthroughs.

I'm also really curious about the size and scope of DLC.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
The thought didn't even cross my mind, but thanks I guess.

Hmm wait, but the game is supposed to set in various maps/planets, right? So I guess, each planet will not be that big then.
The universe can seem incredibly huge without allowing you to go anywhere you want on a planet (Mass Effect, Final Fantasy XII zones, etc.).

Playing Pillars of Eternity Deadfire the world seems huge to me, but they manage and give you the impression very well. Makes me think how awesome Final Fantasy XII Remake could have been without going overboard with detailing unnecessary stuff.

Last edited:

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
A game that is reasonably sized according to its budget. They could not make this game sound any more enticing.

Crankafoo

Dec 3, 2018
Canada
Don't know how anyone could take this as a negative. As many are already saying, I'd rather have a smaller and dense world than an enormous and vapid one.

Although, I'd love to see the day where development has become streamlined enough allow devs to focus on populating their massive worlds they want to create with an abundance of things to do.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Totally fine and expected. I wonder what kind of scale it WILL be though. I never player KOTOR II. Anyone can elaborate on how "vast" that game is?

I don't mind at all about the actual of the world, but I hope it feels varied and vast enough to make exploring feel worthwhlie.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Time Bring your B game

I like meaningful side missions even if small. Spider-man is big but side missions sucks

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
Yeah but wasn't New Vegas made in just a year? So even if the game world is smaller in size I will expect more content in that small area than in New Vegas.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I enjoyed both Witcher 2 and 3 although both were very different types of RPGs. Witcher 2 had great replayability because a chapter would play very differently depending on your choices. The quests were also very well written. Witcher 3 kept the quest strengths and choices mattered, but never quite as much as in that Witcher 2 chapter. I do think The Outer Worlds with a more tight experience also meets a certain zeitgeist that goes along with 'bigger isn't always better'.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I've always wanted more games with KOTOR/KOTOR II's scope. It lets you really dial in the areas that you have without wasting resources on a massive map. Deus Ex does this pretty well.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
Fine by me. These huge open world games feel more like work than fun when they are needlessly large.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well good for them to tell today because I totally expected this to be AAA.

Ok. I am alright with this.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, this is music to my ears. Hearing "X will be the biggest open world ever made!" only turns me off these days.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
It seemed like every AAA game this year was five to twenty hours longer than it needed to be so a tighter experience is something I can get behind

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
KOTOR and KOTOR II may be my favorite RPGs and they aren't huge games, so this is awesome.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I'm glad, we need more and more 10-15h experiences. Make it consice, make it great. It's an RPG, if it's good people will repeat it.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
That's incredibly disappointing. I know sometimes open world games can seem too large, but I never felt that way with New Vegas and hearing this won't even be as big as that isn't good news for me.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but wasn't New Vegas made in just a year? So even if the game world is smaller in size I will expect more content in that small area than in New Vegas.

Around 18 months. What they achieved with that game in the limited time and support from Bethesda was a modern marvel that often goes ignored. It's not reasonable to expect them to duplicate that process and still come out with a huge game (especially since most of the people involved with it left the studio or are there still but aren't involved with this game like Sawyer). As it is if it comes out next year it'll be a completely new IP finished in 3 years or possibly less if it's Q2 2019, which is still really impressive by modern standards.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
That's okay, bigger isn't always better plus it can help to start small, I wonder if they own the IP themselves or if it's owned by private division.

Dragonelite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Forzatech is primarily developed by Turn 10. I don't think it works for an open world RPG. TOW will probably continue to use UE4. But who knows, down the line, maybe 343i's Slipstream engine will be a viable option for RPGs and the like.

Playground is working on a open world rpg if im not mistaken question are they working on the Fable ip or not.