• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://youtu.be/4iTbUGItU0s

I think this is probably the greatest review I have seen for a video game from any "Game Journalism" site. This guy is genuinely so passionate about this game, I felt like its the most honest review I have even seen for a video game. I know there is a DQ review thread but I think this can be a thread on its own. Whoever the editor is in the video he is amazing and I hope keep reviewing more games. But since guys like AJ or Jim gets their own review thread maybe its ok to share this guys review too.

Even if you are not a DQ fan watch this video lol it may just convince you to buy the game.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Tim's Hyrule Warriors review is similar to this one and is basically a work of art. Highly recommend watching it if you like this one

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a really great and passionate video even if it have two or three misinformations there. But I don't think that it deserves a thread considering that we saw it on the review thread.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Tim Rogers videos are the best part of Kotaku. Dude is legitimately hilarious and his videos are both entertaining and informative. Whatever they're paying him isn't enough

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What's the music that plays in the beginning of the video?

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was really annoyed that the music in the review was completely unrelated because I thought it was trying to hide the awful soundtrack, but apparently it's a requirement of reviews that you can't use the game's actual music.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Tim Rogers 10,000 word DQ8 review is what convinced me to buy it and got me into the series back in the day.

Kryst

Banned
Jul 30, 2018
Being passionate about a game doesn't make him a good reviewer as it leads to bias.
You enjoy his review style and find him entertaining and nothing more.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
As a big DQ fans this review obv. speaks to me lol.
But i can see why some people might not feel the same with that much of hyperbole in the first 90 seconds...probably better to work your way towards these kind of statements in a review before going all out fanboy from the start heh.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
weird review. His vocal mannerisms remind me of the Regular Car Reviews guy, except he doesn't consistently back it up with jokes or punchlines, at least not ones that are actually funny.

DerAuto

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Being passionate about a game doesn't make him a good reviewer as it leads to bias.

I disagree. He is a long-term fan of the series and played every game multiple times which makes him a good reviewer since he knows what he is talking about.

Anyway I don't think we need a thread just for this video.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most enjoyable video review I have ever watched and totally worth its own thread!

Oh - immediately ordered the game after watching it too and had no real interest before

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I think any illusions of objectivity in reviews (outside of something like evaluating if a game is broken or playable on a fundamental level) are misguided. An air of objectivity just means you have to work a little harder to find the subjective bent.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it. He and others have called DQXI the best JRPG in years, so I pre-ordered on Steam.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Did he not even mention the Draconian difficulty adjusts in that 30m review? His challenge-level defense was a bit flimsy and weak during the review(though overall I did get a lot out of it otherwise), but I had no idea about any of that until the OT described the modifiers right upfront, just seemed like a strange omission by Rogers. Or am I crazy and he did mention and I somehow missed it?

Kryst

Banned
Jul 30, 2018
What makes a good reviewer?
Someone with no strong feelings towards the franchise the game may belong to.
Being a fanboy that gushes and loves a game and the franchise behind it reflects poorly on the overall majority of people who are new to the series and have no strong feelings for it.

I can see many people buying this game because of the glowing review and not enjoying it anywhere near as much as the fanboy praising it seemed to enjoy it.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Being a fanboy that gushes and loves a game and the franchise behind it reflects poorly on the overall majority of people who are new to the series and have no strong feelings for it.

I can see many people buying this game because of the glowing review and not enjoying it anywhere near as much as the fanboy praising it seemed to enjoy it.
Maybe the people reading reviews should look for reviews that are more useful to them? Also somebody who loves a franchise can be just as critical of it as somebody being introduced to it for the first time.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
it was a good piece and i appreciate his passion but really more of an overview than a review. if i knew next to nothing about the game and was on the fence i'd be like "cool story bro"

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I really disagree with this.

Video games are not a dispassionate objective thing. You want the perspective of someone who can see the trends in a genre and series. Someone who can put things in perspective for a new audience and properly define the title.

Someone with no strong feelings about a series that is eleven titles in isn't going to have that, mostly because they probably would not have stuck with it.

Jun 4, 2018

I don't understand this at all. There are going to be thousands of reviews (from both media outlets and fans, alike). You will be able to find plenty of reviews in which the reviewer has no prior history with this franchise. It's good that reviews from series' fans exist because they can point to things that newcomers might not be able to recognize, whether it be long-running jokes or other nods. There's value to be gained from reviews, no matter who they are from. If a fan likes the latest entry in a series, I'll assume it's because they like it and not because they're trying to justify their fandom.

Oct 25, 2017
I tried to watch and give Tim another chance, but he still just rubs me the wrong way and I ended up turning it off about 10 minutes in. I am happy that his review is convincing people to give the game a shot though!

Kryst

Banned
Jul 30, 2018
You want the perspective of someone who can see the trends in a genre and series. Someone who can put things in perspective for a new audience and properly define the title.
This is wrong and it's been a running theme for long game series.
Take a game like Metal Gear Solid. This is a series where the cutscenes/codec portion of the game is longer than the actual gameplay yet many reviewers often hand waive it away or don't even mention it rarely factoring into their review. But its "ok" to hand waive it they say because its been a prevalent phenomenon in the entire series.

Once you become accustomed to a series to its "flaws" and its gimmick you no longer can see it within the realms of a fresh new player.
Within a long franchise quirks of a game that would hinder tons of players is simply a "flaw" you've gotten so used to that it no longer hampers your dislike of the series.

Its bias and overfamiliarity with a series.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
I remember him from his ridiculously overwrought college 101 creative writing reviews from that douchy black and white website. Has he grown up since?

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
you gotta watch/read multiple reviews to get a real grasp on anything...be it games, movies, shoes, or whatever.

That being said, I do tend to enjoy reviews from "fanboys" more than others because of the passion that tends to be behind them. And most fanboys are actually more critical than you'd expect due to their closeness to the property. And for certain genre's that level of "expertise" is also important. Most people looking at DQXI are probably into JRPGs and thus are familiar w/ all that entails so getting a POV from someone similar is worth more than from someone who is new to it. Like I'm not going to be able to give a great review of the newest COD because I am ass at FPS and generally don't like many of them...where as a COD fan will be able to give the ends and outs w/ ease. Of course, you do have to have some objectivity but that is rather easy to tell from jump.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is wrong and it's been a running theme for long game series.
Take a game like Metal Gear Solid. This is a series where the cutscenes/codec portion of the game is longer than the actual gameplay yet many reviewers often hand waive it away or don't even mention it rarely factoring into their review. But its "ok" to hand waive it they say because its been a prevalent phenomenon in the entire series.

Once you become accustomed to a series to its "flaws" and its gimmick you no longer can see it within the realms of a fresh player new player.
Within a long franchise quirks of a game that would hinder tons of players is simply a "flaw" you've gotten so used to that it no longer hampers your dislike of the series.

Its bias and overfamiliarity with a series.

You're not reviewing MGSV in a vacuum. It exists as a sequel to the game before it. So yeah, you are going to judge it on a curve based on the series. And you are going to review it knowing that the series has staples to it that are ingrained in what it is, for better or worse.

I'm not going to review Jason X on the same scale or criteria that I review Hereditary. They are two different films with different goals and styles.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty terrible purely as a review. Felt more like a personal ode to the franchise than a review of DQXI.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This is one of my personal favorite reviews ever, and I've always liked Tim Rogers' style every time I look into his work.

Kryst

Banned
Jul 30, 2018
You're not reviewing MGSV in a vacuum. It exists as a sequel to the game before it. So yeah, you are going to judge it on a curve based on the series. And you are going to review it knowing that the series has staples to it that are ingrained in what it is, for better or worse.

I'm not going to review Jason X on the same scale or criteria that I review Hereditary. They are two different films with different goals and styles.
A valid point but the reviewers glowing review is risking bringing in new players who aren't aware of the staples attached to this game.
When they see this type of review they think to themselves "Wow this must be a great game" and not "Wow this is a great DQ game" reviewers should make a proper distinction between the two.

It also doesn't help that DQ just isn't massively popular in the west and it may lead people to believe that the overall formula might have drastically changed to appease the tastes of the west.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Part of me thinks it was awful, but the other part of me watched the entire thing and that makes it the longest review I've ever fully watched. And it hyped me up on the game probably more than anything else. So, I guess it was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.