• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
https://kotaku.com/ea-defense-of-star-wars-battlefront-ii-becomes-most-dow-1820396527

At -341,000 points (and growing) in less than 24 hours, this post from Reddit user EACommunityTeam defending Battlefront II's locking of characters like Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker is by far the most unpopular comment in Reddit's history. The previous leader, as compiled on this wiki page, was just -24,333.

"The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes," reads the post, a response to one Redditor complaining that they had spent $80 on Star Wars Battlefront II only to find Vader locked behind a paywall that would take either real money or dozens of hours of gameplay to access.

New news, new thread?

Lock if old.

Deleted member 6436

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I sense a great disturbance in the force...as if millions cried out...and EA didn't fucking listen.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Drexion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the size/budgets of game development studios were on a 1-5 scale, something like
(1) Two guys in Mom's basement >> (2) Indie studio >> (3) DoubleA studio >> (4) TripleA studio>> (5) Massive Multi-Studio conglomerates

The problem is that (5) is getting the 'big-boy' licenses like Star Wars/NBA/NFL/FIFA etc.

Nowadays if you want innovative gameplay with innovative ideas and semi-decent production quality, a game that doesn't just use the "Ubisoft open world formula", you need studios in the (2.5)-(3.5) range to develop your product. Any lower than 2.5 and the budget won't be there and any higher than 3.5 and they will want to play it safe, using tried and tested formulas that gamers have come to be tired of.

In addition to the well deserved negative feedback, maybe we should ask ourselves is there a way to convince the license holders to take a chance with smaller scale studios.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the only thing that can consistently unify internet is its common hate of EA.

If the size/budgets of game development studios were on a 1-5 scale, something like
(1) Two guys in Mom's basement >> (2) Indie studio >> (3) DoubleA studio >> (4) TripleA studio>> (5) Massive Multi-Studio conglomerates

The problem is that (5) is getting the 'big-boy' licenses like Star Wars/NBA/NFL/FIFA etc.

Nowadays if you want innovative gameplay with innovative ideas and semi-decent production quality, a game that doesn't just use the "Ubisoft open world formula", you need studios in the (2.5)-(3.5) range to develop your product. Any lower than 2.5 and the budget won't be there and any higher than 3.5 and they will want to play it safe, using tried and tested formulas that gamers have come to be tired of.

In addition to the well deserved negative feedback, maybe we should ask ourselves is there a way to convince the license holders to take a chance with smaller scale studios.

Firstly licence holders don't want good games, they want money, furthermore this idea that only mid tiers studio can provide innovative gameplay elements is not true. Plenty of AAA studio provides new and fresh experiences.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
This is absolutely hilarious. Goddamn that's savage. Get fucked, EA. Screw your shitty business practices.

The backlash is 100% deserved.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
most downvoted ever is an understatement,

the shit got cratered into the depths hell

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those people will still buy it anyways. And that's why EA will continue to do these things. Who cares about "votes"

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Its been a PR clusterfuck. The CM has handled it terribly, the initial response from EA/DICE was terrible and how did they not see this coming. Most downvoted comment on Reddit by a 300K+ .

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is amusing, but I have immense doubts that this matters, like, at all. It's Reddit.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If each downvote was a credit they could unlock a single character in Battlefront 2

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did my part and downvoted it as well. By all acounts, Battlefront II seems to be a great game based on beta impressions and it's disappointing that the developers, community managers, and so on are all going to suffer because of a scummy top level business decision at EA.

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
I feel bad for the people at DICE, seeing their hard work getting completely overshadowed by microtransaction descions made by their publisher so that they can maximize profits.

Fuck EA

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's bots and people just doing it to get in on the act a lot, but it's headlines like these that will ultimately grab EA's attention, and maybe lead to change. With any luck.

ironcreed

Oct 27, 2017
They'll listen if it hurts their bottom line.

But it won't. As long as they have a solid base of whales to stick around and dole out thousands, they don't give a shit if places like ERA or Reddit are up in arms and boycott the game. They will announce more 'changes' to put this behind them and then go on to rake in the cash, regardless.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Good.

Pay-to-win microtransactions in a full-priced multiplayer game should be the line for everyone. Completely indefensible.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
My best friend was psyched about BF 2 to the point that I was going to suck it up (despite not liking Star Wars or EA) and jump in to play with him.

Thankfully he learned about this trash and now I don't have to jump in with him.

Another $120 they have to make up via whales. Every dollar counts.

Darth Finky Spunky

Banned for using alt accounts
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Meh, I played plenty of hours with Vader in Battlefront 2015, I'll just have to learn the new characters now.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Most downvotes on Reddit and voted worst company in America twice.

The internet doesn't like EA.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Sad thing about all of this is that microtransacciones are not aimed at us, are aimed at the casual players, who will keep buying things regardless of whatever controversy sourrounds the launch of a game. So we're basically fucked. "Voting with our wallets" is not an option either, while I'm not buying this game, other 5 Star Wars hardcore fans will, so it really doesn't matter and it's pretty depressing.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
They don't mention it was given Reddit Gold 37 times (so far). At $3.99 per hit, that post has been paid nearly $150!

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The direction gaming is going is bad in my opinion. I do feel some sympathy for EA because I do think they are basically taking the brunt of the pushback of GaaS for the whole industry currently. But let's be real. We are the minority here. Most people have been happily accepting microtransactions for years. So if they are the majority why wouldn't publishers cater to the audience that will generate revenue for them. These companies aren't working as charities. They report to their shareholders. Unless the precipitously start losing revenue I expect things to only get worse.