• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Mar 29, 2022
Follow up from Comcast report, seems that EA still wants to merge or be bought:

kotaku.com

Report: EA Looking To Sell Or Merge

The Madden and Apex Legends publisher is apparently looking for a way out

The video game market is consolidating like never before, and Electronic Arts is scrambling like everyone else. The Battlefield and FIFA maker recently pursued a merger with NBCUniversal, and also held potential acquisition talks with Disney, Apple, and other companies, according to a new report by Puck. While a deal isn't currently in the works, it doesn't sound like EA plans to give up anytime soon.

This gives a high chance that EA might be acquired in the coming future. Make your bets.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Based on the companies listed it looks like they might specifically be looking for a buyer outside of the industry.

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
EA trying to sell seems so out of the blue? Losing the fifa license plus battlefield flop causing this?

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
would be ape shit if MS bought them.

No way FTC let that happen lol And I think it will take a while before MS tries another movement in this scale, they'll take their time settling ABK in.

Probably makes sense for Amazon or, shockingly, Take-Two depending on the terms of the merge.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Yes, MS will buy them to completely piss off the Feds and derail the Activision acquisition as well...

EA are looking to merge with a media company as can be seen from the article.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
MS is in no position to buy out any other large publishers in North America since they're still in the process of one acquisition and under the eyes of the FTC.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I mean at this point its more newsworthy if a major videogames company is not looking to sell/merge.

Anyone in charge of these companies looking at the crazy valuations being thrown around would be stupid not to at least do the research.

Edit: why do people go straight to assuming Microsoft when these stories crop up? There's literally three other companies mentioned in the quote from the article and yet the first bunch of posts are all talking about MS... Bizarre.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I'd be willing to bet money it won't be Sony or Microsoft. TenCent, TakeTwo, NetEase, or someone outside of gaming is my thought

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I will eat the biggest crow ERA can give if Microsoft buys EA.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It definitely will not be MS since they are already dealing trying to get this massive acquisition through. I honestly don't know who it makes the most sense for.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I highly doubt MS will get EA not after Activision, then you have Sony who just isn't likely based on opportunity cost, this will be someone from the outside or studios being broken up one by one which is also unlikely.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Disney with ESPN for EA Sports, but Disney seems to just be in to licensing and not developing.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
If Microsoft can peel off Bioware, then they'd probably love that. Anything else is reach. If Sony can get anything, then it'd be a win for them. Too many of EA's top IPs are licensed, which would be a no-no. I wonder how much of this ties back to BF 2042

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Probably makes sense for Amazon or, shockingly, Take-Two depending on the terms of the merge.

I actually think Take Two makes sense kinda, since the target audience of their games seem similar or have lots of overlap. Though arguments against this would be that they won't merge because neither would gain any game genre's they don't already make.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
They really messed up being so over-reliant on sports.

quail_lad

Aug 3, 2021
I'm not rooting for this, but in this environment it's hard for me to believe that Sony won't at least try to buy Square Enix.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
At this point EA is just Respawn plus sports gambling scams, right? Dice and Bioware don't inspire much confidence these days.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I'm thinking Meta would bite, which would suck SO MUCH but those IPs would be excellent for Quest in the long run. Crazy times ahead, everyone wants to sell except Konami.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
For obvious reasons that many in here have already stated it'll never, ever happen, but MS would probably kill to have EA under their banner.

Imagine how much Game Pass would explode even more if FIFA (or whatever tf it's called now) and Madden launched directly to the service every year.