• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Fortnite's giant mechanical Brutes have been contentious among players since they arrived at the start of Season 10. Players have been calling for them to be removed from the game, or at least from competitive play. Today, developer Epic responded to the calls to remove the mechs. Fortnite seems to be keeping them, because according to Epic, they give more players a chance at a victory royale.

In a blog post titled "Fortnite and the B.R.U.T.E," Epic wrote, "The mission of Fortnite is to bring players of all skill levels together to have a fun experience where anyone can win. For example - everyone having a shot at that first elimination or Victory Royale moment." Another part of Fortnite's mission, the post says, is "to provide spectacle and entertainment when playing FortniteThe B.R.U.T.E. was added at the start of Season X with this mission in mind. Since then, we have seen players who had previously struggled with getting eliminations acquiring more, while the number of eliminations earned by more experienced players remained steady."
Professional player Nicks responded, "You don't just throw an overpowered robot into the game hoping bad players will get good."

Fortnite has long struggled with the tension between competitive and casual play. The sequestering of the game's siphon mechanic into only competitive modes was one example of this. Epic felt the mechanic, while vital for competitive play, made casual play too aggressive. Keeping the mech in competitive is, in some ways, the inverse of this situation, where an addition that makes casual play fun has supposedly disastrous consequences on competitive. Striking the balance will always be tough for Fortnite, especially as the game beefs up its esports presence.

Then there's the question of spectacle and entertainment value, another point of tension in Fortnite. Professional caster Balla wrote, "One person losing a game by getting shot by B.R.U.T.E. missiles is too many. Dying to it is one of the least FUN things I can think of. Ever. In gaming. It is the opposite of 'fun' for ALL players. It is not a good spectacle. It is not entertaining watching people get mad." Fortnite owes at least some of its success to its popularity with streamers, but Epic Games' emphasis on watchability sometimes comes at the cost of potential competitive strategies.
Destroy my 2 by 4 house if old.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That's the peril of having a game so big

You almost have to make it lowest-common denominator or the kids who stuff hours (and more importantly dollars) into it will get tired of losing

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
A part of me wonders if the hypercompetitive players ultimately cost Epic money, and getting them to leave makes it more likely for casual players to stick around.
I find that hard to believe, considering Fortnite's biggest marketing arm is streaming. A lot of these streamers are at the competitive level to feel shorted by the inclusion of these mechs, and while the casual player might be getting more kill, their Fortnite idols trashing the game on stream is probably a net loss.

Nov 8, 2017
I was on foot and beat a Mech 1v1 for my first season X solo win. Y'all need to quit crying and get good.

Joking FYI. I did get the win though...

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So does Fortnite have Matchmaking at all? Or is it "Throw all these people into a room and see what happens?"

Sorta makes things like a slot machine, sometimes you just get the Jackpot "I win!" gun and go to town.

Honestly sounds like victories are sweeter when you overcome the one with the OP Mechanic.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
The people they're trying to help win matches with this are likely ironically dying because of it

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone get a mech by landing in a predetermined spot or does it spawn in random areas each match?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
This is a test run, they doing vehicles next. It's the next evolution

J.Gusto

Oct 25, 2017
Binghamton, NY
Mechs are definitely one of worst and most broken additions to this game. Getting to top 10 and then encountering a mech or better yet, encountering someone who knows what they're doing with the mech, is extremely frustrating and is the reason why I'm taking a break from fortnite.

They really need to nerf those things like they did with planes right away.

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
I've given my full opinion elsewhere on this forum, but I'll just say that if that's the only reason, there no need for them in Arena; especially once you reach champions.

Also the frustration you get when you lose to a mech in a situation where you had no way to defend yourself can't be good for user retention. I've been dying to them even though I try my hardest to avoid them, but every time it does happen it makes me want to play the game less and less.

I feel that these short term OP items are bad solutions for the real underlying problem; There is no good on boarding system for new players, no ingame tutorial, no lobbies with only players that have less than x number of games/kills/victory royales'. All much better ways to have these players get a couple of fun games at the start and a chance for them to actually learn to play the game.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising. They need kids to feel like they're winning so they'll keep spending their mom's credit card, even if they're terrible at the game.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
The Mech isn't even that good. I don't get these complaints.
The only counter is to hijack it and self-destruct. You can't outrun it, you can't build defenses, and weapons do little damage in 1v1 scenarios. I really don't think the mech would be a problem had Epic not vaulted the vehicles.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
Partially cross posting from the OT:

Ignoring the fact that the're straight up admitting that they're leaving the mech in for bad players to feel good about themselves (hey let's just give random players in Modern Warfare AC-130 killstreaks to start the match so they don't feel bad!), they're completely ignoring how mechs change the entire game and how people play in ways that are so very conveniently not shown on a kill graph, such as:

-Players changing their starting drop location after jumping out either to avoid or go for mechs once they appear

-Players engaging or not engaging in rotations or fights they would have otherwise based on the mech location/fight

-Players carrying items they otherwise wouldn't normally carry (minigun or boogie bombs as examples) just to deal with a potential mech fight shorting them slots they would normally have more preferable items in

-People who like to immediately go for the mech on spawn and just detonate it immediately to get it out of play which me, my friends, and several streamers do

-You can also absurdly farm and get max mats quickly in the mech, so even if you blow up the mech and the player gets out they potentially have thousands of mats.

I legitimately don't think posters in here understand this is NOT just a top streamer/competitive Fortnite complaining thing. I am a filthy casual with a sub 1% win rate in solos since Season 3 and a ~1.0 k/d, and this thing is hot garbage even though I'm the audience it's apparently being catered to? It's completely changed how you have to play the game unless you're playing Arenas which gets super sweaty super quick (which isn't necessarily bad, but becomes a very different experience). Like, virtually every post on every forum, reddit, and social media at all levels is people complaining. No one at any skill level that I play with is happy at all about it. It's *literally* the Sword but even better, and they vaulted that thing super quick.

It's easy to dismiss this as top streamers/players complaining, but this has been about as universal a blowback against anything I've seen in a long time in a multiplayer game. Even when they dropped Siphon/health on kill the community was a little split on it and streamers complained but still played; when I watch most streamers now like Tim and Lupo who are usually really positive you can tell they're honestly not having fun and they're playing other games more and more now. There's definitely a slant to it from the competitive scene for sure, and I think the idea of competitive Fortnite is kind of dumb (I'm thoroughly enjoying them freaking out about not being able to build in Tilted right now), but when Epic is putting together 100 million dollar tournament seasons they're going to invite that kind of criticism.

As I covered in my quote above though, I'm probably just mostly unhappy with how they're trying to spin things with their little kill graphs which is hilarious and completely misrepresentative of what's actually happening. There's a million clips/videos that I could post of top players in the world being completely unable to defend against the mech, or Tim getting 13 kills as the gunner in the mech with one hand, etc. It's beyond dumb. As an LTM or in Rumble sure, but in the main game? Nah.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Their ranked modes need to have different stuff than the casual modes. That's all.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Can't they just gave proper matchmaking?
One of the problems with matchmaking is that it pushes everyone (except for the few very best and very worst players) toward the same average win rate. So no matter how much you improve at the game, if it has matchmaking you'll be forever stuck winning only 1% of the time. Having no matchmaking gives people the hope and reward of winning more than that if they get better at the game

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a staunch defender of the mech. In the end it's just fun to fight against and fun to use. In the end it's just FUN and that's what I look for in a game.

Good on you Epic, don't listen to these... what do the kids call them... "sweats"?

There is a case to be made for taking it out of the ranked mode, but it should stay in normal BR for sure.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only counter is to hijack it and self-destruct. You can't outrun it, you can't build defenses, and weapons do little damage in 1v1 scenarios. I really don't think the mech would be a problem had Epic not vaulted the vehicles.
In 1 v 1 the mech can't move and shoot at the same time. In squads the mech can be gunned down in a good 5-10 seconds by a focused squad with decent weapons.
Same!!! Maybe they will make a return in this season due to rift/time warp stuff.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played this season but hoverboards are still in, right?
There isn't a lot on the map and they're only in very specific locations.
In 1 v 1 the mech can't move and shoot at the same time. In squads the mech can be gunned down in a good 5-10 seconds by a focused squad with decent weapons.
It can't move and shoot with one player but it can spam rockets at a safe distance. In squads you better pray an enemy squad didn't get two mechs. It's such a chaotic mess.

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a staunch defender of the mech. In the end it's just fun to fight against and fun to use. In the end it's just FUN and that's what I look for in a game.

Good on you Epic, don't listen to these... what do the kids call them... "sweats"?

There is a case to be made for taking it out of the ranked mode, but it should stay in normal BR for sure.
I'm sorry but fun to fight against? In solo's it makes people team up so one can shoot and another can steer it, in duo's you better hope you both have found an AR of blue or higher and spot then from afar so you can take them out. In squads it gets even better because a single team can have two since they seem to land pretty close together now, so even if you manage to take out one, there's another plus the two who jump out of the broken mech unharmed.

Fun to use? Maybe if you're into that, but they're not at all fun to fight against.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
They'll take them out when kids start going back to school. Honestly wish Epic would just keep them in and stop catering to the hyper competitive crowd all the time.

Anytime there's a counter to building (C4's, Boombox, Dynamite, Planes, etc.) pros lose their shit and Epic caves in. Those are some of the most fun additions Fortnite has had but people only want to play the build and shotgun game.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Problem I've seen from what the community has said is that both Pros AND Casuals hate it.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but fun to fight against? In solo's it makes people team up so one can shoot and another can steer it,
I'm sorry but this is BS. You're saying your average Fortnite player has the patience, foresight, planning, and willpower to NOT press the self destruct button and possibly get an automatic kill/down in solo? HAH. I laugh at this.
Fun to use? Maybe if you're into that, but they're not at all fun to fight against.
I disagree. But I guess that's the beauty of us both having opinions.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Why cant they put Ranked and Casual matches? With Ranked being striped of these advantages such as the mech?

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
What the difference between this and a fromsoftware easy mode? Isn't the challenge in getting the victory the whole point/adrenaline rush?

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Competetive Fortnite players have been on level 99 meltdown over this mech since its release.
I'm not a competitive player at all, heck, I've never won a solo match in 2 years, and I fucking hate the mech. It's unbalanced and unfair and it takes the fun out of a lot of games. And if it's to let more people win matches, sure... Why keep it in ranked/competitive mode (Arena) then? Just put it in the classic modes and leave it out of Arena modes (which I don't even play) so at least the competitive matches are fair again.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
In a box with 200 HP, dies instantly lol. There's a billion examples of this.

Also the more I think about it the more this doesn't make sense, because unless they intend to keep the mech in the game forever, how does giving little Timmy some pity kills/wins in the mech do them any favors after it's gone?

And for some insane reason I don't think they've explained, the "ranked" mode (arena) is only available this season in Solos and Trios, so even if your response is to go play ranked, you can't do that if you have 2 or 4 people.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The reason why they can't vault it is because there are challenges attached to it in the Battle Pass. Things like use the BRUTE in 3 matches, and make kills while riding a vehicle. They took out all other vehicles so the BRUTE is the only option to complete those challenges. The hoverboard is still in too, but it's pretty hard to get a kill on that thing unless you encounter a pretty bad player. They likely have some more things planned for the BRUTE later on in the season as well, so I guess we're stuck with it for another 7 weeks unless they rewrite some of the challenges, which has never happened before.