• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Mr.T is an 80s icon... and Barret was clearly a play on him.
Strong, tough, badass.

Is Mr. T, a prominent black celebrity legend, considered a troubling racist caricature now... even if voiced by a person of color?
Are you asking if aping Mr. T's form of (acting) speech in an English localization is a bad look in 2019?

Yes, yes it is. It was a bad look in 1997 as well, mind.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's impossible for anyone to have initial reactions to his voice? Foh

Of course it's not impossible, but why this article exists based on two lines of dialogue in a trailer when it's a general issue with Barret that has existed since 1997 is beyond me.

He even talks about this in the article. We'll see what the final game is like but I feel that this article could have existed 10 years ago.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Mr.T is an 80s icon... and Barret was clearly a play on him.
Strong, tough, badass.

Is Mr. T, a prominent black celebrity legend, considered a troubling racist caricature now... even if voiced by a person of color?
This, can someone please answer? What's wrong with a character being like Mr.T, i don't understand.
Final Fantasy is a series who reprisentation of black people is... lacking to say the least.

And two of its most prominent black dudes is, a guy who speaks in jive and acts like mr t. And a guy who's a bit more normal but he's a generic afro and him and his son have chickens in their hair frequently. This is ontop of the developer being japaense. Its pretty clear that barret's design was based on a very limited understanding and expusure to black people. And a lot of folks could hand wave that off in 97, but its 2019, and if he still sounds like jive talking Mr.T that's a fucking problem

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mr. T is an articulate, if gruff, icon. There is very little of him in Barrett.

Barrett is a racist stereotype reminiscent of minstrel shows. It's awful.

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
User Banned (1 Day): Vilifying media outlet
I have to say that Kotaku has mastered its faux outrage and click bait = success far better than their time honored talk out of their ass days.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
I think only Black FF fans have a say here, everyone else kinda irrelevant.

Oh no, no, no, no.... don't do that. Poor form dude.

As a Black FF fan who has apparently been blessed with the right to talk in your thread, I'll ask you to quit embarrassing yourself by ironically shutting out entire races of people. Regardless of whether you think we've earned that authority or you find it cathartic, it has never helped us before and it's not about to now. Not even weighing in on the Gita Jackson business, just asking you to retire that approach so we all look a little less bigoted.

You win post of the day for me. Well said. I won't say anything else because I'll just put my foot in my mouth.

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Mr. T vibe is tired and nobody has talked like that since the 80's. It's not common or unique anymore. Mr. T isnt a racist caricature, but to limit one of the few black characters to a dated stereotype is concerning to some fans.

Nah, Idris Elba should voice Barrett with his British accent!
Thinking of this brings a smile to my face.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I actually liked the comparison to the church pastor in the twitter post that keeps getting spread. It was about as hammy as I would expect it to be without being a direct Mr. T drag-n-drop.

Nov 11, 2017
Sounds like some 70s-80s blackploitation bs, I fully expect him to start saying jive Turkey and all types of racist stereotype bs foh square

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like some 70s-80s blackploitation bs, I fully expect him to start saying jive Turkey and all types of racist stereotype bs foh square

I disagree, at least from the two lines of dialogue we've heard so far. "I'm here to take the load off your shoulders" and "that's easy enough".

Like I said earlier, having an article like this because of two lines of dialogue in a trailer seems misplaced when the issues stated run as deep as the character design itself.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe this is down to my history with comics, but Barrett's manner of speaking never bothered me in FF7, even as an adult. I remember back in the '90s, a lot of comics (X-Men in particular) would depict accent through stylized text.

They'd do it for Moira and Banshee's Scottish accents, Rogue's southern accent, Gambit's weird cajun one-liners etc. And I appreciated they did it, because it allowed me to "hear" those voices in my head. It was the same with Barrett. I never felt he was a lesser human being, or some dumb, uneducated off-the-street person.

Barrett always seemed like someone with a tough exterior, but a soft interior. A muscle-man whose heart and mind were both in the right place. Even having watched replays of FF7 recently, on the whole I feel Barrett comes off as one of the most mature characters in that game.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
meh....some people he's not black enough, some people he's too stereotypically black.

Personally, i just want the nuance that comes with his emotion to the
plate falling and reunion with dyne and the whole corell incident

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Final Fantasy is a series who reprisentation of black people is... lacking to say the least.

And two of its most prominent black dudes is, a guy who speaks in jive and acts like mr t. And a guy who's a bit more normal but he's a generic afro and him and his son have chickens in their hair frequently. This is ontop of the developer being japaense. Its pretty clear that barret's design was based on a very limited understanding and expusure to black people. And a lot of folks could hand wave that off in 97, but its 2019, and if he still sounds like jive talking Mr.T that's a fucking problem

If the developer wanted him to sound like Mr T i don't see problem in that, they can make new black characters and give them different personalities as well, all I'm saying because that what Barret was like to me and many others, and i liked him that way back then, now he is the same.

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the concern but I'd rather hear more from the voice actor than a couple of lines. I actually think it sounds like a decent fit for him.

Barret has some depth beyond the first impression and I expect him to speak a little differently past the Avalanche parts in the first hours.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the developer wanted him to sound like Mr T i don't see problem in that, they can make new black characters and give them different personalities as well, all I'm saying because that what Barret was like to me and many others, and i liked him that way back then, now he is the same.
I hated Barret in 97 and this remake Barret isn't inspiring confidence at all.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Mr. T vibe is tired and nobody has talked like that since the 80's. It's not common or unique anymore. Mr. T isnt a racist caricature, but to limit one of the few black characters to a dated stereotype is concerning to some fans.

Thinking of this brings a smile to my face.

It's an homage.
Mr.T was big in Japan.

How is it different from a Clint Eastwood gunslinger character or a DeNiro mob character?
These are iconic figures.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's an homage.
Mr.T was big in Japan.

How is it different from a Clint Eastwood gunslinger character or a DeNiro mob character?

I love Barrett. He's a great character, but it's in spite of the translation.

From what I understand, the, eh, colorful dialogue isn't part if the Japanese dialogue.

It'd be far less problematic if, say, Dyne, a man who was from the same area as Barrett, spoke similarly. But nope. Barrett is the only one.

Oct 27, 2017
It's an homage.
Mr.T was big in Japan.
Barrett didn't mimic Mr. T in the original Japanese script.

Replaying it a few years ago, Barrett was one of my favorite characters. But still, I was hoping we'd get something closer to his original Japanese iteration this time around. I don't mind localization taking some liberties to punch up a script, but the original translation was kind of (by necessity, admittedly) a hack job.

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
why not Denzel Washington....or Snoop Dog.
LOL. "Snoop Dog" Yeah I can't think of a good enough answer for that one.

But to be honest just suggested him because Idris is a current actor with an iconic voice. Basically anybody who will bring something unique.

It's an homage.
Mr.T was big in Japan.

It's kinda dated.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
One of the things I look forward to with a (maybe?) expanded Midgar section in Remake is more character development with Barret.

Love his character and hated how 'nothing' he was in Advent Children.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
i'm so glad I played the French localization of the game. That one's pretty good.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We had since the first FF7, let alone the announcement of the remake, to being these topics of Barret's characterization to the forefront of discussion while the character was being developed for the remake.

Now that we are closer to an impending release and there is a voice reading these lines bringing the character to life, we need to be scanning the games providing detailed suggestions on how to improve his dialogue and asking for the voice actor to take another direction now.

Square listened when we complained about Noctis sounding too much like Batman in the early demo of FFXV. So I'm sure any voice acting or dialogue changes can still be changed as long it doesn't effect the overall work or portions of the game already finished in terms of animations or progression of events.

But this also raises the question:
Are remakes that decide to stay true to an existing story that was a contributor to an mid-early stereotype exempt from portraying their characters in the same way now? Or was his character never acceptable and should be avoided today progressing forward?

Similar to Bayonetta, in her case, the overabundance of the female fatale or oversexualized characters create an on-going problem that new female characters are still stuck following the same stereotype. (I'm half looking at you Tifa, literally). The characterization isn't entirely the problem, more so the overabundance of the same archetype creating the stereotype is the problem.

So should Barret break away from his original portrayal (with tweaks) or should any further adaption of his character be completely revamped to fit today's progression and views?

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Squenix ruining another franchise and making it even worse than the source material?

im_shocked.gif

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Are remakes that decide to stay true to an existing story that was a contributor to an mid-early stereotype exempt from portraying their characters in the same way now? Or was his character never acceptable and should be avoided today progressing forward?
The thing is, the stereotypical affectations were largely the result of the original game's localization, which is notoriously poor anyways. A localization closer to the original combined with the right voice direction can eliminate or at least soften the stereotypical nature of the original character.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's legitimate concern but a bit premature. The trailer was too short and featured what sounded like quick battle lines that just aren't enough to be worried yet. If the next trailer which will probably feature quite a bit has his voice being a constant stereotype then I think a backlash is deserved.
It's not really so much his voice as his botched characterization in the original's English translation to being a stereotypical "hyper-tough black dude", whereas in the Japanese version, he was apparently more nuanced.

I also think there's something to be said for the fact that the only two black Final Fantasy characters are also the only ones who use guns.
Barret and Sazh are not the only two black characters. Final Fantasy should definitely have more representation but it should be noted that there is also Kiros who uses Katal Daggers, Raubahn who uses a sword and Gadot though he also uses a gun. Raijin I'm not sure his ethnicity but he is definitely not white so he might also count.

As for gun characters there is Laguna, Irvine, Yuna, Vincent, Balthier, King, Prompto, Lightning's gunblade, Cater and I'm still probably missing more.

Deleted member 56306

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
For everyone thinking that this is just Kotaku reaching, it's not. Myself and three other black gamers noticed it and hated it as soon as it came on. Sure there isn't much to go on, but what is there sucks.

Deleted member 56306

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
As a Black FF fan who has apparently been blessed with the right to talk in your thread, I'll ask you to quit embarrassing yourself by ironically shutting out entire races of people. Regardless of whether you think we've earned that authority or you find it cathartic, it has never helped us before and it's not about to now. Not even weighing in on the Gita Jackson business, just asking you to retire that approach so we all look a little less bigoted.

I just don't think this approaches bigotry when concerns of this matter are so commonly ignored, downplayed or worse mocked. While I understand the want to not push people out of conversation, have that same energy towards people who don't want the conversation to occur at all.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017