• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 13, 2019
When people in the other thread were complaining about Barret supposedly having lighter skin (nonsense, IMO) I said that I'd be more worried about Barret's writing and voice acting/direction more than anything else and I stand by it.

Also I want the original dorky Cloud from the JP version in the Remake, not stoic super serious emo Cloud from the English version that was made even worse in Advent Children.
Wasn't AC!Cloud the result of SE taking inspiration from the way that Cloud was portrayed in fanworks? That's what I recall reading.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
Wait, what?

The guy is an amputee. He is a single dad. An environmentalist. That doesn't sound very stereotipical.

He always had a badass, black dude vibe to me, which I feel is greatly preserved with the footage so far.

Number Wang

Oct 25, 2017
What gets me is that Barret doesn't even sound like Mr. T.

He sounds like a stormfront poster trying their best to "sound black" for the purpose of mockery.

Yes. When I listen to Mr. T, I have no problems believing that's his natural voice. Barret's voice is a very obvious affectation that makes it hard for me to take him seriously.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Ok... My opinion is that it sounds like a bad attempt of a white dude attempt on doing a stereotypical black voice. I don't know if its the same black VA who voice in the first trailer. if so then that's a pretty bad black comical voice. The first FF remake trailer showed a cool, smooth Barret, who wasn't so comical.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Lmao, of all things to be concerned they concerned about Barret's voice? If it's me as FF7 fans I'm more concerned about the combats and Squeenix poor recent FF titles.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What gets me is that Barret doesn't even sound like Mr. T.

He sounds like a stormfront poster trying their best to "sound black" for the purpose of mockery.

That's my big thing, too. He doesn't sound like Mr. T AT ALL.

I feel like people are only saying that because he's buff and has a mohawk-ish haircut. Which is...again, just hilarious to me given the conversation we're having.

Lmao, of all things to be concerned they concerned about Barret's voice? If it's me as FF7 fans I'm more concerned about the combats and Squeenix poor recent FF titles.

It's possible to be concerned about more than one thing at a time. Indeed, it's possible to be more concerned about one thing and, while also concerned about another, consider it less important on the list of things one might be worried about.

-2B-

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 23, 2018
article written by someone who opens with mentioning they never played ff7.

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I thought the 2015 Barrett sounded much better but I'm holding judgement on this new one until we get some more dialogue. We probably won't see it in a trailer but I'm interested to see what current Barrett sounds like when talking to Marlene. It sucks that the trailers portray Barrett as this hard ass black guy when he has some really tender and tragic moments, I wish they spotlighted those instead of his shouting.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
So like Morrison then?
lol right.

I can't say I'm surprised that people here are fine with it. It's pretty par for the course with the gaming community. I am annoyed that other black posters are being so dismissive of those of us who take issue though, especially since it's only going to be used as fodder for other non black posters to dismiss us as well. I guess that's always the problem with having these sorts of discussions in public though since we obviously aren't always going to agree with each other.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
YES! this is my biggest issue with the voice. He sounds like what someone thinks a stereotypical black person sounds like. It's ridiculous.

I guess the voice fits the portrayal of what japan thinks black people are.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the 2015 Barrett sounded much better but I'm holding judgement on this new one until we get some more dialogue. We probably won't see it in a trailer but I'm interested to see what current Barrett sounds like when talking to Marlene. It sucks that the trailers portray Barrett as this hard ass black guy when he has some really tender and tragic moments, I wish they spotlighted those instead of his shouting.
I mean, it's unlikely he's going to be yelling and talking to Marlene like that, lol.

He definitely tries to be a hard-ass, 90s action movie leader, and comes to the conclusion over the game that he isn't that. It's not strange that he would be talking like that at the beginning of the game, where he still thinks he is that.

Now the whole, written like his writer has never once talked to black people, or much less a SINGLE black person... that's another issue altogether... looking forward to hearing more of his dialogue to see if it's still as bad as it felt in the original.

It's really awesome to be playing through this game as the remake is being reintroduced to the world to compare and contrast things.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
5d2.gif

I'm getting flashbacks...

... Though I HOPE they have an actual black actor voicing him in this game, unlike the above example.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
It reminded me of Gladio's voice from XV, which was really bad.

SE needs to up their game on this department. XV VoiceActing was quite terrible for a game of its calibre.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He's a gruff black dude, his text in the original should make you see what sort of voice he would have. I always imagined it as more of a deeper Cole-train myself.
So why don't any of the non-black characters have text based 'accents' like that? That's the whole point. Being black doesn't suddenly make you sound like you can't pronounce or enunciate words correctly.

Everyone keeps trying to pass the complaint off as 'he's gruff'
No shit. He can be gruff without sounding like he's speaking ebonics like he did in the original translation.
There are tons of gruff characters that do it and nobody bats an eye, but suddenly the entire connection you guys have to barrett is that his text was written like this in the original? Cause fuck that shit was obviously racist and cringy even when I was a teenager when the game first came out.

Last edited:

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
To be fair, Barret was clearly inspired by Mr. T in his looks and his text (at least in the translation). It makes sense they'd stick with the theme. They probably should and will alter some of his lines in the new version, but I assume the persona will be largely the same.

No. The English localization team ruined his character by having him act like a Mr. T stereotype. Barrett talked normally in the Japanese version, as Tim Rodgers videos of FF VII have showed.

Stereotyping Barrett won't fly today in 2019.

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
I'm going into the game assuming they'll have a person with an Japanese ethnic background voice Barrett in the Japanese version, but are there actually any black voiceactors in videogames or anime who could hypothetically get a gig like that? Same for female VAs.

Kinda sucks that it's one of those things you just have to accept is going to be the likely outcome for black characters.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I laughed out loud when I heard it in the trailer I had to pause it and go back to make sure I wasn't watching some sort of joke video. But no, they are really using that voice.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't Barret a bit of an offensive caricature in the original?

Doesn't make it right to not adjust for that in the remake, but I'd chalk that up to a culture problem within the company.

Maybe if they hired people of color, and let them voice concerns, you'd avoid these kind of stereotypical mischaracterizations of African Americans.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Barret a bit of an offensive caricature in the original?
This has come up numerous times in the thread. Barret's dialog being what it was in the western version was an invention in the localization that doesn't match how he was originally written. It's also at odds with how all the people from his hometown, his best friend, and even his own daughter speak.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
You have a thread in which black people have posted, many taking issue with the voice acting. Examples have been posted of how and why a problem is seen.

Taking the line of ignorance does nothing.
But it seems to be a reactive effect as in their were no issues till someone posted an article and many many people still do not get the issue as it fits the tone.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I kinda hate Barret cause of how blatantly offensive he was in the ENG translation...but I didn't mind how he was voice acted in the trailer. I'll need to hear more obviously but his lines just sound cool to me in the trailer. Not really offensive to me at all as a black FF fan.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But it seems to be a reactive effect as in their were no issues till someone posted an article and many many people still do not get the issue as it fits the tone.
I've had issue with Barret since the original released back in '97. Even as a kid the stereotyping was blatant as day. Now that we have voice acting the issues with the character are even more prominent.
Now I'm not saying Barret wholesale is a terrible character. But there are certainly things about him that could be changed while still keeping the character who he is. The voice acting is one of those.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Marlene wasn't even one when Barret adopted her. She's his daughter.

Edit: Not that age has anything to do with an adoptive parent being able to say that their adopted child is, in fact, their child. But the fact that Marlene is around Barret and yet, has none of his speech mannerisms is just another reason why Barret's localization is problemeatic.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Has nothing to do with the gruffness of his voice, it's a combination of that and his 'jive talk' sort of voice that makes it ridiculous and outdated. He SHOULD sound Gruff. But when his voice in the trailer is "Tha's easy enough" and "I'm heuh fuh ya, ta help take da LOAD off ya shouldahs" sounding like he's straight out of song of the south, it does not sound like they've changed the tone either. We'll see.

Like, I'm not black, it still stood out instantly to me when I saw State of Play. Like....oh, no, why square? He can just talk like a person instead of a cartoon.
Fully agree. I'm not black either but the type of voice they've chosen for him is the prototypical "black guy in a Japanese game" voice that I've heard many times before. I don't think they mean any harm by it, I think they just don't have the ear for it that Americans might. To me it sounds outdated and cartoonish and, to the extent that it resembles stereotypical "black voice", mildly offensive.

UnNamed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have struggle to understand who this concerned fans are, the article is very vague with just one quote, comments don't seem to fully agree with them, since lot of them agreed Barrett is stereotyped but not offensive. Few results on this subject for a game released 22 years ago.
Is this just a debate of different opinions and not that impelling and concerning issue Kotaku want us to believe?

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have struggle to understand who this concerned fans are, the article is very vague with just one quote, comments don't seem to fully agree with them, since lot of them agreed Barrett is stereotyped but not offensive. Few results on this subject for a game released 22 years ago.
Is this just a debate of different opinions and not that impelling and concerning issue Kotaku want us to believe?
No, it's not.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
the ff7 fandom will make the star wars fandom look like sensible and measured people after this game.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Representation in videogames wasn't as hot a topic 22 years ago as it is today. You could have racist caricatures and there wasn't a mechanism for people like me and other people of color to voice our opinions. Also, people like me who grew up playing games like FF7 didn't have the language or knowledge to express why Barret was such a problematic character. I just knew it made me feel like shit having a character that was making fun of people who looked like me as I was playing it.

22 years later and a lot of the people who grew up with FF7 are now part of the target audience for the remake, and now a lot of us have the life experience, knowledge, language, history, research, and literature to explain how Barret could be better representation

Gamers are constantly showing me that representation doesn't matter as long as they get theirs, so I'm not surprised by takes like yours. Why don't you read the article, some of the opinions in the thread, and form an opinion for yourself instead of thinking an opinion is trying to make you believe something. They write pieces like this to make you think, maybe so that you'll go do some research and gain more knowledge. What you do with the information is on you.

Verano

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is dumb as hell. Barrett sounds just like the badass I thought he sounded from the original.

OP
OP
lowhighkang_LHK
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
So like Morrison then?

Difference is that one is a throw-away side-character with like 6 lines. Barret is one of the most iconic FF characters of all time, who probably has thousands of lines. So if you're in the camp that is bothered by this, there is pretty much no way of bypassing this. I wonder if using Japanese voices would be any better. As it's probably non-black japanese speaker.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, I think the original Barret was literally supposed to be a parody of Mr. T appearance-wise, and the localization chose to parody Mr T with his dialog. But remake Barret doesn't really look like Mr T anymore so they shouldn't do that. We've only heard like 2 lines so hard to tell what they are doing.

The character should be angry cuz he's got a lot to be angry about, so I dunno how they can get around that. He's had his entire life ruined by Shinra and he blames himself for it and he's taken to getting revenge by blowing up a bunch of mako reactors resulting in innocent people getting killed as collateral damage. The game has Dyne, who is white and had all the same shit that happened to Barret happen to him and he's just as angry and even more violent.

unBqMpF.png

And you got Cid, who makes Barret look friendly by comparison but has lived in relative privilege.

""Yo, jes' think about it… How many people in the world do ya think really understand themselves?" further reinforces Barret as some kind of hyper-masculine cartoon. Not a fully realized person, but a Mr. T facsimile full of weak bon mots."

Uh... this is kinda foreshadowing about the theme of identity in FF7. Both Cloud and Barret aren't fully realized at the start of the game. Barret is lying to himself about why he's leading AVALANCHE and how he's dealing with his own depression is very unhealthy. It's irony. Barret is a person that doesn't really understand himself, and he's coping with his own depression by clinging to a radical ideology and blowing stuff up to shift the guilt he feels.

To me Barret always came across as using abrasive language to push away people who might challenge his coping strategy; but he was a very caring person putting on a facade. It's basically a false identity he's adopted.

Last edited: