• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The video game retail chain GameStop told all of its stores this afternoon to stay open even in the event of state lockdowns to protect against covid-19, emphasizing that it is "essential retail" alongside groceries and pharmacies and should therefore be exempt from quarantine laws.

"Due to the products we carry that enable and enhance our customers' experience in working from home, we believe GameStop is classified as essential retail and therefore is able to remain open during this time," the retailer said in a memo to staff this afternoon, obtained by Kotaku.

kotaku.com

GameStop: We Can Stay Open During Lockdowns Because We're 'Essential Retail'

The struggling video game retail chain GameStop told all of its stores this afternoon to stay open even in the event of state or city lockdowns to protect against the covid-19 pandemic, emphasizing that it is “essential retail” alongside groceries and pharmacies and should therefore be exempt...

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know I've ignored a lot of dumb shit Gamestop has done over the years but this time.....

I think that's the last time I buy from them (not that I do very much anymore anyways).

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like if this company is forced to shut down, it won't reopen after things are set to return to normal.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reggie man I'ma need you to speak up LMAO

Edit - I'm not insinuating that he works for GameStop, but he still probably has influence and can still vocalize his disagreement with their decision.

Last edited:

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
this is worse than anything that was said in the miami video i saw earlier on reddit

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
GameStop, you're not even essential in terms of the public wanting video games. We've all got the Internet and can download games now.

Damn, they trying to convince themselves that we all need plastic discs and Funkopops even in a global health crisis.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
If they delegated it to merely pickup and not allowing for browsing beyond placing orders it could work, but if they just let everyone come in and touch everything it very much is defeating the purpose. I know I'd be selfish enough to admit that I find games and entertainment media "essential" at this time as well, but I know that it's endangering people by being open.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
They know fully well that they will not be able to survive this recession. This is their hail mary because otherwise everyone is getting laid off.

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018
LOL what the Fuck?... I also work in a Gaming Retail Store in Switzerland, we have also a Lockdown since Monday... and we had to close our Stores until April 19th.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Top three essential needs for outbreak:
1) Toilet paper
2) Hand sanitizer
3) Video games

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
6b45ffa7543567b63eea54412578c65a.jpg

Game on bros!

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Reggie still kicking ass and taking names. (joke)

Absolutely inhumane. This is some cartoon villain shit. Not to mention almost all of their "essential" products can be purchased digitally from your home.

Last edited:

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine convincing yourself that your sales of video games are as essential as food in a lockdown.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
no they are not. If anything they could arrange pick ups and limit visits to the store space.

They could also use this time to improve on their terrible site and their practices. That part of their business is just crap.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can already hear the fake "We're committed to doing what's best" coming from a mile away when they're legally forced to shut down.

Uncleslappy

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Power to the players! While this is toxic and gross, I can relate to the panic of a company facing bankruptcy and banking on a certain day (3/20) - if they miss sales on that day, they might as well close up shop.

That being said, the damage done by these leaks may kill them just as quickly.

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Best Buy memo to customers for comparison... GameStop WISHES it had these commitments, and even these are iffy

"You are turning to us for help getting the technology that allows you to continue running a small business or shift your usual job from an office setting to your home. You are turning to us to help your children continue their education outside of their classroom. And, you are turning to us for necessities that allow you to store and prepare food for your family"

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Gamestop is going to do everything it can to tarnish its reputation before its light burns out, eh?

Deleted member 62561

Dec 31, 2019
it's essential that the public have immediate access to 45 PS2 copies of Madden 2006 in these times of crisis.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There isn't a Gamestop in the world that pays any employee enough money to tell a cop "Nah, I'm staying open". What steps need to seriously be taken to get them to close, what the hell? They can't even provide a clean environment for their employees, let alone their customers.