• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like Microsoft will find their niche in cloud together with game pass. Google have no chance against MS and their experience with game development, service building and excellent developer purchases and big IP they own.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Google's head of Stadia operations, longtime console executive Phil Harrison, will focus on pursuing these new partnerships.
Flush as many times as you like, but Phil keeps on floating to the top while everything around him swirls into the abyss.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Ugh, I hate that they experimented just to shut down the studios. Why not just sell off the studios so they at least still have jobs or opportunities for the industry.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what a damn shame. wasting the time, effort and talent of so many developers for 1+ years. just shows that you can't force your way into the gaming industry if you don't know what the fuck you're doing.

just hoping that all those who will be affected will land on their feet.

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
Sucks for the devs. And sucks that Harrison keeps his job. This has just been a massive failure by Google. Didn't have the stomach to commit.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
images

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I remember calling this the fucking day it was announced. It's why I no longer invest in any service google puts out. Anything new from them gets half assed support until they decide to shut it down. At this point I'm just waiting for them to announce you tube tv is closing up shop.

Oct 27, 2017
Expected.

When Google started hiring washed out game executives who haven't had a single success in over 10+ years, what did you expect?

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
That's why people were concerned, they'd gobble up a company, do nothing with it, shut it down

I get why people didn't want them buying publishers, I was just surprised how many thought they were eager to gobble them up in the first place. That would take a level of commitment and cash for Stadia they hadn't displayed at all.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Hilarious. Another failed Google venture bites the dust. Guess Google wasn't willing to absorb losses like MS when they entered the console industry. I didn't even get a chance to test it out. Oh well

Edit: I give Amazon a year before they also exit the console race.
Amazon business model is better and they have Twitch. The ultimate game streaming platform.
Depends on what will happen in the next 6-12 months.

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
At least I got a free Stadia Controller + Chromecast 4k out of it. BTW, for all those that got on the deal, make sure to cancel your sub if you're done with it. Mine was about to re-up in a week.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
WOW WTF. I expected Google to try for at least a few more years. Maybe even release a game or two. But they have already killed Stadia. I want a refund for Watch Dogs 2 and Cyberpunk dammit!

Oct 26, 2017
Games exclusively available on a streaming platforms got delayed a bit. That's the good part. Ownership lives a little bit longer.

Shame about the jobs lost. What a clusterfuck of planning for them to bail so soon. This is Google's fault through and through.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
You know Amazon and Google have fucked up massively when Facebook is doing a MUCH better job in the gaming sphere with Oculus.

And Facebook doesn't have Amazon or Google resources to begin with.

Surface

Nov 6, 2017
F*ck litterly bought Stadia premier edition yesterday and games for some 200 dollars, now I feel this will be shut down soon...should have waited. Hope for some stadia press release about this

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Too bad, I hope those 150 employees can get a good new job within Google that they are interested in, or find a good job elsewhere quickly.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And this is the big scary competitor MS is preparing to fight against in the future?

Amazon and google both tried and failed hard so far.

Phil Spencer must be happy today.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Ridiculous that they even thought this would be a thing after only starting to work on projects AFTER the launch of the Plattform.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Didn't Amy Hennig go to google too?

She was working on a game for emerging platforms. That was a couple years ago. Most of those platforms are dead or dying, so my guess is she's still working on the game for various platforms. I hope we see something soon. It's been way too long since we had a game from her.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Man I feel for all those devs. Even if Google is telling them they'll reintegrate them it probably won't be making games which is what they signed up for.

big feels for typhoon studio only acquired a few months ago and Jade Raymond trying to get something going and being told no by ea and now no by Google

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
I remember a tweet from Jason at bloomberg about how Microsoft and Sony were both terrified at Google entering the gaming space. All they did was waste people's time like amazon is doing.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's the Studios, not the service, but I don't see the service being that far off as well.

Tengrave

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
What a complete mess. I thought we would at least see something out of those studios before this.

Aska

Jan 11, 2020
No surprises there.
Google never really went all in into the gaming industry. It's always this half measures.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Beginning of the end, shame for all the employees. I wonder if we'll ever see some of the cool Youtube integration they had talked about way back when.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
Overall, my biggest reaction is to question the people who insisted this service was going to transform gaming when we never saw any must-have games for it. All the talk was about low-latency, data caps, and youtube integration, which are nice-to-haves but mean very little when launching game hardware. The most we got about games was that [insert well-known name] was involved and unnamed AAA games were in development.

Seriously, 18 months after launch and they were still making studio hires without so much as a trailer to show. How was this service supposed to make waves?

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Phil Harrison strikes again!

For real though, rolling out the service at the same time they were ANNOUNCING they were putting a first party studio together was not a great idea. They should have had one or two big AAA exclusives already ready to go right around launch. Far from the only problem this service had but come on.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Well, this was very much needed. A drastic change of model. Let's see what will they offer to publishers to make games available on stadia. Maybe their own store front that allows downloads and streaming? Or something more like GFnow?
They could even partner with Sony or Nintendo somehow.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
Jade Raymond is the kiss of death.

Outside of Assassin's Creed, which was really somebody's else's baby/vision, what has she managed that didn't underperform at market or outright fail?
You know, this is not her fault. Stadia First Party Initiative was founded like 2 years ago, to make a new AAA IP you need at least 3 probably more like 4-6. Stadia came into the market without anything and expected people to stay around for years until they finally have something.