• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This sucks.

I always hoped GW2 could have made it to console.

Other MMO devs just need to copy Squares brilliant cross controller bar. Gives access to as many skills as you need and dare I say it I think with muscle memory could be as fast as if not faster than a keyboard at times.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
My spouse works at ArenaNet and I can definitively say that GW2 has always been, and continues to be, profitable for ANet and NCSoft. GW2 is not the problem or the reason for the layoffs.
Interesting that a bunch of doomsday people ignore this post. GW2 has always sounded like a success (somehow, they release SO MUCH for free!).

I really hope your spouse is okay whatever ends up happening and that everyone else will also land on their feet. I got so sad when I read this yesterday, Anet folks are my favs. Everyone I have had the pleasure to listen to, talk to and play with have been so nice.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing - Layoffs are normal and the ones Kotaku has been reporting are not really even that big. When I was growing up, I remember companies laying off 10,000 - 30,000 people at once. That is a massive layoff. What we are seeing is video game companies eliminating teams which have no chance of producing a profitable game. In NCSoft's case, they think Guild Wars can be profitable if the team size is smaller.

BTW, you don't just see layoffs like the in the games industry. You also see them a lot in the technology industry when projects are canceled or budgets are cut. It happens all of the time, especially in mid-sized and small corporations. Most video game companies (including EA) are not that big (the would be considered mid-sized corporations) so it's not surprising that they do layoffs when a project is canceled.

This post is naively optimistic to the point of being misleading, my friend. You cannot compare size of layoffs like this. How is comparing a layoff sizedof 10k+ to whatever will happen here at a company of about 500 or less in anyway useful?

You say of course there will be layoffs if projects get canceled or don't project profit, which... okay maybe, but the fact that is that the game industry is in a fucking tough spot. Games are expensive af to make, and as those costs continue to rise, the chances of profitability drop considerably. There have been a higher than usual amount of layoffs in the industry lately. If you are in the industry and aren't noticing it, thinking about it, talking about it, or worrying about it, then I dunno, lucky you for now!

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
This post is naively optimistic to the point of being misleading, my friend. You cannot compare size of layoffs like this. How is comparing a layoff sizedof 10k+ to whatever will happen here at a company of about 500 or less in anyway useful?

You say of course there will be layoffs if projects get canceled or don't project profit, which... okay maybe, but the fact that is that the game industry is in a fucking tough spot. Games are expensive af to make, and as those costs continue to rise, the chances of profitability drop considerably. There have been a higher than usual amount of layoffs in the industry lately. If you are in the industry and aren't noticing it, thinking about it, talking about it, or worrying about it, then I dunno, lucky you for now!

Definitely seems like that poster is trying to bury their head in the sand on this one.

Antitype

Oct 27, 2017
Sad to hear they're not doing well financially. Out of all the MMOs I played over the years, GW2 had the best leveling experience by far. I loved exploring the world, solo/duo'ing world bosses, doing jumping puzzles and going for map completion. Though I didn't find the end game particularly interesting, running the same handful of fractals quickly grew stale. So I didn't stick around for long, but overall I had a great time.

NCsoft seem to be shifting to mobile, even for their main MMO's franchises, so we might never get another entry unfortunately.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-02-21-arenanet-reportedly-bracing-for-mass-layoffs

In a statement provided to GamesIndustry.biz, ArenaNet confirmed that some staff reduction was planned, though the number to be affected was not specified.

"We can confirm that due to the cancellation of unannounced projects, ArenaNet will make staff reductions," the statement reads. "This is part of a larger organizational restructuring within NCSOFT in the west, but the Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 game services will not be affected, nor is any upcoming game content canceled."

According to this the developers who were working on the unannounced projects seem to the be ones that will be layoff while the GW2 development part of ArenaNet is mostly unaffected. Although Jessica Price, the writer who was fired last year in the controversy, seemed to claim that GW2 development was seemingly winding down and they were pulling people to other projects and trying to trick people into thinking they had more.

Unsure if we should take her word on it.

"[ArenaNet] had two major projects in the works when I was there. One was indefinitely suspended while I was still there. For those of us working on GW2, our mandate was essentially to make it look like there was the same level of resources devoted to GW2, when they were actually steadily moving people off of it onto the other projects.

"It was bad enough that at one point we were told we could only have one cinematic for Ep5 (All or Nothing), which, given that it was the climax of the season and had more heavy emotional beats than anything else we'd done (at least while I was there), was devastating."

Should be noted the whole final instance for All or Nothing was on a crazy scale seen in new MMOs.

Ultimately if most are laid off (there's 400 people there), then this would support what Price is saying. Though it's possible also that they will lay off a lot but then others on other projects will be back to GW2.

Colossal Moo

Jan 13, 2018

Do you have any data to back up the games industry being in a tough spot? Has industry revenue decreased? How about profits? Has total employment decreased?

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I do not believe that I have what you want me to have, no.

I HAD some data on the last major industry dip. I gave several talks to students looking to get into games around 09, and had data from the ESA, IGDA, and gamasutra about that dip. My rough recollection of that is that in a 12 month period around 08, something like 40k jobs were lost in North America. Somewhere in the 20% range of total jobs. IIRC in australia they lost like 60% of their jobs.

As far as current trends go, I don't have industry wide data. I got a lot of NDA'd data about budgets, revenue, and profit margins of games published by my corporate overlords that I have no comment on whatsoever :) I've seen some data from other studios and pub houses too. Grim af.

Where we are at is that AAA games can review well, sell well, and still not hit goals. Like... top of NPD for the month of release but not profitable. This console generation is nearing its end, and it is still too fucking expensive to make AAA games for. Dunno htf next gen is supposed to go with this being the case, past that first round of releases subsidized by the console makers to get games (preferably exclusives) on their platforms.

I been in this industry long enough that I can remember getting new character models for important story characters into the game from my character artists within a matter of days. 3D models and shit, characters, rigged/textured, ready for lip sync on VO, everything, less than a week. Hand authored. lol

HughJayNus

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 29, 2018
I'm still disappointed with GW2. Should have just carbon copied GW1 and brought it into a modern game engine. Talk of GW2 success always seemed like hardcore fanboys and not enough to float the franchise, because you never see much buzz for the game.
Yeah it never clicked with me for some reason, and GW1 is one of my favorite games of all time. I put more than 1500 hours into it.

Klebby

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it never clicked with me for some reason, and GW1 is one of my favorite games of all time. I put more than 1500 hours into it.
They definitely sold out their original audience to gain a new one. Me and a lot of other people who were hardcore gw1 players didn't stick around long after launch.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I need to check out GW2 before it dies then to see if it's better then the GOAT MMO Rift. Sucks for all these employees. I hope they land on their feet.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
I played a ton of gw1 and about 15 hours of gw2.

I honestly hope they go back to the holy Trinity honestly.

I love love love being a monk. Too bad that was taken away.
I also missed the trinity. The dungeons always felt like a chaotic mess without it. I only played World vs World until I grew bored and dropped the game entirely.

JinnAxel

Oct 30, 2017
While this is sad to hear, I'm also not surprised. While they do churn out periodic updates, all their new maps are essentially the same with the same progression scheme but with different procedurally generated terrain.

Also from my personal experience their devs have difficulty with being able to take in player feedback to heart and proceeding with decisions that were warned to be unpopular with target player bases.

Plus they've been working with an over 10 year old engine and dx9 in the gw1 engine. By itself that acts as a development sink as they try to jury rig the engine to do things it was never meant to do to meet more modern game mechanics and stream lining.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Yeah...even though all the news is saying GW2 is fine and will continue as it was, seems like people who were not playing and may have tried in the future, will now think it is dead because of this news.
Yep, also feels like a lot of currently active people will spend less now because they think the game is dying and so on, basically helping it die even tho it supposedly isn't in danger atm.

They definitely sold out their original audience to gain a new one. Me and a lot of other people who were hardcore gw1 players didn't stick around long after launch.
And me and a lot of other hardcore GW1 players are still around and happily playing. They didn't purposefully alienate the GW1 fans, they simply made a game they wanted to make and since it's different some people like it, some don't. I'm happy they made it. I still go back and play GW1 sometimes too because it's different and I love it.

Klebby

Oct 25, 2017
And me and a lot of other hardcore GW1 players are still around and happily playing. They didn't purposefully alienate the GW1 fans, they simply made a game they wanted to make and since it's different some people like it, some don't. I'm happy they made it. I still go back and play GW1 sometimes too because it's different and I love it.

I'm only coming from the pvp angle, and they absolutely did it on purpose with the direction they took the game. gw1 pvp was all about creating your own build of 8 carefully selected skills for 8 characters, almost like a card game. that was 100% gutted for gw2.
balancing the stats and making them work with your skills, also gutted.
It was a thrilling experience where you could run into the most insane team builds that you didn't even know existed, gw2 isn't like that.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
While this is sad to hear, I'm also not surprised. While they do churn out periodic updates, all their new maps are essentially the same with the same progression scheme but with different procedurally generated terrain.

Also from my personal experience their devs have difficulty with being able to take in player feedback to heart and proceeding with decisions that were warned to be unpopular with target player bases.

Plus they've been working with an over 10 year old engine and dx9 in the gw1 engine. By itself that acts as a development sink as they try to jury rig the engine to do things it was never meant to do to meet more modern game mechanics and stream lining.

Thanks for giving us that side of the story as well.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sad to hear about this.

Love Gw2 because of how laidback of an MMO it is. Hope this doesn't affect the player count it was pretty active last I checked.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Yeah...even though all the news is saying GW2 is fine and will continue as it was, seems like people who were not playing and may have tried in the future, will now think it is dead because of this news.

... frankly, if 5 years after release they haven't gotten around to giving it a try, it didn't seem likely they would ever do it, anyway.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
It begins. They're really going after people who have the largest salaries and institutional memory.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is so sad. I wish I could've kept going with GW2, but my PC dying basically stopped me from getting any of the expansions. While I know the loss of my money isn't the cause of these layoffs, I still feel very very slightly responsible.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Wow... They really are going after the long-term employees. All the best to them :(

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, they really are going after the people who knew the history of Guild Wars.

I hope they all get jobs soon, King Games just got hit with layoffs in Seattle area as well.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
How is the mmo scene doing?

WoW is still top dog despite hiccups with the Battle for Azeroth.

Final Fantasy XIV has increased subscriber numbers from last report with extra servers and a new expansion on the way.

Guild Wars 2 numbers were stable, with a new story and zones released last month. Things seemed totally fine until this past week.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Dang. A lot of great people leaving, a lot of great people staying. Makes you wonder what's going on with the future of ArenaNet. Like, I don't think Aaron Linde would choose to leave unless he was unhappy with the company's plans for the future. Could be either a canceled unannounced project or the scaling back of GW2's future plans. I feel like the latter makes the most sense? GW2 can't last forever.

NCsoft is pretty ruthless, but if it was killing ArenaNet's future plans just to focus on continued seasons and microtransactions for GW2 I feel like a lot more people would be leaving. At the same time, GW2 remains reasonably successful and it doesn't make sense to kill off the game's current success to pivot to something uncertain at the cost of so many employees. None of it makes much sense to me. I hope they get to work on something that can give ArenaNet rebirth as opposed to this being the start of NCsoft bleeding the studio out and so many people just hoping it works out because the company is so close-knit.

Last edited:

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
WoW is still top dog despite hiccups with the Battle for Azeroth.

Final Fantasy XIV has increased subscriber numbers from last report with extra servers and a new expansion on the way.

Guild Wars 2 numbers were stable, with a new story and zones released last month. Things seemed totally fine until this past week.

Just to add, Elder Scrolls Online seems to be holding strong too. They have an xpac launching in June

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, losing Gaile is a big deal. It's very strange to see layoffs of senior staff as opposed to them laying off new hires first.

Just to add, Elder Scrolls Online seems to be holding strong too. They have an xpac launching in June

Oh yeah, I did forget about Elder Scrolls.

Heck, even LOTRO is getting updates on occasion.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Sad coincidence that ArenaNet and Blizzard are laying off at the same time considering the shared history. I imagine a lot will end up at Undead Labs. That's a lot of people though, hopefully they are able to survive this.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I think more people got laid off at Arena than currently work at Undead, though they probably are growing post Microsoft purchase.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I think we should wait instead of immediately calling GW2 a dead game? As far as I remember, the game itself is still doing fine. Spreading doom and gloom isn't the right call.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I think more people got laid off at Arena than currently work at Undead, though they probably are growing post Microsoft purchase.

57 people in this career page picture: https://undeadlabs.com/jobs/

They're hiring quite a few positions actually

I think we should wait instead of immediately calling GW2 a dead game? As far as I remember, the game itself is still doing fine. Spreading doom and gloom isn't the right call.

I agree, although the new WvW update will be delayed due to this. Undoubtedly this will affect morale and the cadence of future updates.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I feel like if the GW2 community goes to a bad place after this it could lead to more trouble futures. I still want my third expansion eventually after LS5. :(

Deleted member 34618

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
It's clear this must be super recent cause on the 12th they said they were hiring.

It's pretty common for people, even those fairly high up, to not have a clue about layoffs until they're about to happen. At my previous job at a tech company people in hiring positions didn't know anything was about to happen until a day or two before it was announced. We'd literally just hired someone on Monday and then had to fire him on Wednesday.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
wow just saw this thread, can't believe GW2 is dead now, although I haven't played it in a long time

Kate

Oct 25, 2017
San Jose, CA
From what I'm reading, it seems the problem is that Anet was working on projects that didn't pan out. So GW2 was making money, but those projects cost money with nothing to show for it. If devs hadn't been moved from GW2 to those projects, maybe we would have gotten another expansion?

It's quite possible, historically (during late GW1 expansion development, early GW2) people were pulled on and off of projects depending on what was behind schedule. There was a lot of "Gw2" or "next gw1 expansion after this one" work going on in parallel with current expansion work once the studio got bigger, and sometimes the current-expansion work would go into panic mode and people got pulled off next-expansion/gw2. I forget whether it ever happened in the reverse direction, but those next-expansion teams were pulled from people who previously would've been working on current-expansion stuff. A lot of them were leads/senior staff, for what I hope are obvious reasons - best and brightest doing pre-production etc. Some of the stuff from late Gw1 expansion plans ended up getting rolled into Gw2.

On a side note, I always wondered why they did not bring GW to consoles.

It could have worked fine.

Gw2 console was in development at least once with a small separate team. It got cut while I was managing another team, but I was never privy to the reasons why since console was firewalled off. I would guess it wasn't turning out how people wanted so it was hard to justify the cost. Console limitations could have been part of it since the PS4/XBOne era was not in full swing then, and making gw2 work well on ps3/360 seems like a tough challenge especially given what I know about how gw2 works.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-02-21-arenanet-reportedly-bracing-for-mass-layoffs

According to this the developers who were working on the unannounced projects seem to the be ones that will be layoff while the GW2 development part of ArenaNet is mostly unaffected. Although Jessica Price, the writer who was fired last year in the controversy, seemed to claim that GW2 development was seemingly winding down and they were pulling people to other projects and trying to trick people into thinking they had more.

Unsure if we should take her word on it.

Should be noted the whole final instance for All or Nothing was on a crazy scale seen in new MMOs.

Ultimately if most are laid off (there's 400 people there), then this would support what Price is saying. Though it's possible also that they will lay off a lot but then others on other projects will be back to GW2.

People getting pulled off GW2 maintenance/etc to work on new projects definitely makes sense if those new projects were big bets. At this point in GW2's lifespan, doing dev with a skeleton crew for a while is viable (even if inadvisable). It makes sense to pivot to something else given how the PC and MMO markets are these days - for example, it would have made a ton of sense if they had a mobile project in the works. This is a complete guess, however - I don't have any knowledge about what the projects would've been. Console could've made sense too but doesn't seem like a growth move to me.

It begins. They're really going after people who have the largest salaries and institutional memory.

Senior staff are a big cost savings for anet to cut because of the way their tenure-based profit sharing works (though it wouldn't surprise me if profit sharing isn't a big expense for them anymore, because historically anet could burn money from the profit-sharing pool on things like office expansions). Junior staff (even if hired at high base salaries) didn't earn out much under the system. I wouldn't be surprised if new staff were also getting hired at lower salary levels than what people of equivalent titles were getting paid due to a history of promotions, but who knows. A lot of the cuts don't seem like easy targets to me either, because in addition to being senior some of those people had relatively unique skill sets and/or knowledge that will be hard for the studio to replace with new hires. Handing that knowledge/skill off to other people in-studio isn't something they've ever excelled at.

This is more speculation based on personal experience/knowledge about Current Leadership but it also wouldn't surprise me if cutting senior staff is done for morale and leadership reasons. People who have been around at that studio longer tended to be more willing to push back on management decisions and have a better sense of how things needed to work, and that ended up being important when the environment at the studio got tense (as happened a few times). Sometimes tension resulted in senior staff leaving in the past, though never like this. The closest thing would have been the chunk of departures that eventually led to the formation of Undead Labs.

There's a related effect here where senior departures tend to result in people who worked with them leaving too. I'm told that has happened here in a couple key spots, which is really unfortunate - it happened with the UL departures.

damn, i liked SAB.

gaile gray is also gone too

Gaile being out is shocking to me since AFAIK she was around the studio from near the beginning - pre-E3-demo, pre-visual-overhaul, etc. I think probably first 10 employees? I was always under the impression that she was basically protected because she was friends with the founders. Personal grievances aside she was pretty good at her job so losing her is a big hit.

Yeah, this doesn't seem like it reflects on the health of GW2 at all. It has to be about cost cutting and stopping the bleeding from what NCSoft viewed as unprofitable investments in... whatever those other projects were. It wouldn't be the first time, and GW2's obscenely prolonged development (with like a dozen missed milestones) was catastrophically expensive to a point that I suspect NCSoft management are more sensitive to an anet project looking like it's going south at this point.

Anyway, %*(#% Mo. I'm really bummed off and kinda angry about this. The whole 'we're a family' gimmick about studios is always 90% a lie but the anet crew were really tightly-knit, especially the people who'd been around for 5+ years. It hurts to see those bonds torn apart like this for what are basically studio mismanagement reasons. Seems like it's happening a lot lately.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty common for people, even those fairly high up, to not have a clue about layoffs until they're about to happen. At my previous job at a tech company people in hiring positions didn't know anything was about to happen until a day or two before it was announced. We'd literally just hired someone on Monday and then had to fire him on Wednesday.

I got hired for a project that got canceled between me accepting the offer and my start date once. That was... cool (there were layoffs but I wasn't one of them. It was awkward as hell for awhile)

idlethreats

Oct 28, 2017
Gaile being out is shocking to me since AFAIK she was around the studio from near the beginning - pre-E3-demo, pre-visual-overhaul, etc. I think probably first 10 employees? I was always under the impression that she was basically protected because she was friends with the founders. Personal grievances aside she was pretty good at her job so losing her is a big hit.
She's definitely enjoyed protection from Mo over the years, but internally it's been an open secret that she was terrible at her job and was extremely difficult to work with. I was told that she was actually on the verge of being fired a decade ago because of this, but managed to stay on by begging the founders or something. Honestly, if she hadn't been laid off today, I would have cried foul.