• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Glad I kept my Black Friday copy in shrink wrap. This is the last straw; I already started the returning procedure on Amazon.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I distinctly remember them doing this with Destiny 1, lol.

I tried out the trial and honestly it feels like baby's first FPS so this just reenforces how bad of a purchase this game would be at any given time. By the time everything is out for it, everyone will be moving on to Destiny 3.

It's like "how not to do MMO's 101".

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny is basically an MMO, except you don't pay a monthly subsctiption, you are forced to buy the DLC.

Oct 28, 2017
Power creep strikes again. Stop invalidating your own content with "raising numbers". Do it like Guild Wars 2/Elder Scrolls online where everything is designed for a base end-game level and all content is relevant going forward.

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Poured so many hours into D1 and bought all the expansions through TTK.

Bungie been doing this since The Dark Below but honestly I'm tired of how they treat this fanbase and how this franchise continues to fail to live up to the potential. D2 is a serious disappointment and I'm glad people are taking Bungie to tasks for their ridiculous practices.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
This sucks and I fell for it. Two or so months post release and we're locked out of content we paid for. This game has microtransactions and lootboxes, yet Bungie is still pulling this shit. This "expansion" and the one coming in the spring should have been free as compensation for adding lootboxes and microtransactions. As it stands, I will never buy another Bungie title

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't matter if it happened in Destiny. It's still a poor practice.

Reminds me I need to jump back in since I bought the LE with the included season pass.

Redshirt

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
GaaS is generally bullshit. I agree. I say that as someone who supported Epic's bullshit (Fortnite) for months.

But Destiny is a special kind of bullshit. If you bought Destiny 1 post-The Taken King, you couldn't even play the original game as intended.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Damn I dropped the original because of this, thank God I didn't bought the 2nd game then.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
People who own vanilla digital copies of the game are getting refunds on reddit through both Sony and MS because if you don't own the DLC the Platinum/1000 is literally impossible now which is an interesting thing I hadn't considered. I wouldn't even if I could, but someone gave me a extra season pass code they had from the console bundle so I'm kinda locked in.

I will say this news coupled with everything about the game, DLC, and how they've handled it the last few months did finally get me to uninstall it. hadn't booted it up since I think before Halloween, and even owning the Season Pass nothing I've heard about the DLC or what's actually out on their roadmap as it stands now has me at all interested in going back. In some ways I think Destiny 2 is maybe my disappointment of the year even over Battlefront 2. Destiny 2 is actually pretty great until you get to the endgame but then it just totally falls apart and I'm just left wanting an excuse to go back, whereas Battlefront 2's problems are extremely upfront and center so you at least know what you're getting into there.

The fact that I own the DLC and don't even want to boot it up is depressing.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Pretty much all my PC friends who didn't get to experience Bungie's handling of of Destiny 1's postlaunch content have dropped the game because of this. They're all experiencing some sort of video game culture shock and they're confused that a game that's already content starved compared to most live/service games on the platform is now holding content and progression hostage behind a season pass only a month and a bit after it launched. It really is unlike anything on PC and even on consoles now as most developers and publishers are moving away from the full-price retail game + season/content pass + microtransactions combo and only opting for two of the three. It fucking sucked in the first game and I think it sucks even worse now because the Eververse Store and Bright Engrams didn't exist when Destiny 1 launched.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Technically any game with DLC actually does lock 100% behind DLC. If it adds new achievements/trophies you can't have 100% anymore can you?
You are technically right, but I think the point that was trying to be made is that players are locked out of vanilla achievements at this point unless they already have them.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This simply doesn't make sense. All they need to do is, if you don't have the expansion, the Raid shows up completely unchanged to them. Same as it ever was. Same with Trials. And they should have access to Heroic Strikes, just a version without the new strikes.

Hopping_Mad

User banned for use of alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Australia
I wonder if some companies are just going to see if they can ride out the storm of outrage on the internet.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
This is a solution to a problem that the game has had that was not thought through. For longtime players it's awesome that the Raid and Prestige rewards are moving up with the expansion. It adds more viable content to the endgame and makes it so that the expansion content doesn't immediately render the vanilla content useless. However people with the base game should still be able to do the activities as they were before.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
Technically any game with DLC actually does lock 100% behind DLC. If it adds new achievements/trophies you can't have 100% anymore can you?

I'm not sure how the Xbox One handles it, but at least with any PS4 game I've played with DLC, DLC trophies are added separately from the base game with it's Platinum Trophy.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I've never wanted a refund for a game before after playing it for more than 5 hours, even if I hated it. This is the first time.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is a solution to a problem that the game has had that was not thought through. For longtime players it's awesome that the Raid and Prestige rewards are moving up with the expansion. It adds more viable content to the endgame and makes it so that the expansion content doesn't immediately render the vanilla content useless. However people with the base game should still be able to do the activities as they were before.
I said it earlier but simply adding the new difficulty with DLC items as a third option for the raid solves all of this. Old players get to keep playing their content and new players get awesome updates to the raid. But we know why they didnt choose to do that.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing the PVP playlists and have run into one new map - one. I'm starting to feel robbed here... thinking about skipping Year 5.

Oct 26, 2017
refund request rejewcted twice, even used achievement reasons. theyre getting slammed with calls and are deferring it to activision

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Anthem is going to be an absolute trainwreck of bad decisions I can already feel it.
That game isn't even on my radar. I don't even care to see any more of it knowing what we're in for. When they inevitably show footage during conferences or shows (whatever) it'll be the time for a bathroom break.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All the bullshit they pulled worked for them in the first game so there was no reason for them to believe it won't work again. The shit they pulled with this game, shaders being consumable, shady XP gain-gating and now this on top of a really poor raid and this weak expansion. Just lol.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A great call as long as they don't plan on making a Destiny 3. Milk this one as much as possible because nobody is buying this trash a third time. Or I'm not at least.

Oct 31, 2017
I have not played Destiny 2, however I played the original from pre-release up to a few weeks after Taken King, and while they introduced new content with the DLC expansions in Destiny, the only time that (I think?) this kind of thing was an issue was when the weekly Nightfall was a strike from the DLC. I don't believe they did anything like go back and retroactively make Vault of Glass hard mode scale to the power level requirements introduced with the expansions, at least not in the time I was playing I believe.

For them to retroactively gate even more content behind paying up for the DLC seems pretty bad from my perspective. Gating PvP playlists behind the DLC definitely sucked in D1 too. Pretty happy in my decision to morally object to this game, and that makes me sad as a fan of what Bungie used to embody.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since they have taken back content that was already purchased, shouldn't that be refundable?? So so shady.

I mean the literal thing that's happening here is you paid for the game once, they then remove some of what you pay for, and want you to pay more to get it back. There should be laws against this.

Only way they are going to learn is to not buy and hopefully bleed them dry.

This is worse than anything Battlefront 2 did.

Last edited: