• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Yup and that's why I traded it in at BB, since it's still going for a decent price. I was hoping there would be some changes compared to D1 in this regard. Jesus Bungie

II JumPeR I

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Why are some of you surprised? So far the game follows the same pattern as Destiny 1. Lackluster base game, Season Pass that offers only 2 small DLC packs with mostly recycled content and stuff that is already in the game and if you dont own the DLC you wont be able to play a lot of stuff anymore.

Get ready for DLC 3-4 which wont be included in the season pass and will cost 30 or 40 bucks for each pack.

I will still stay by my opinion that Destiny "2" is just a big pile of DLC sold as full game. Dont care if there is some kind of 0.05% change from the last game. Good that i dodged this game.

GoldenKings

Oct 28, 2017
Sold off Destiny 2 two weeks after launch to fund Mario Odyssey. I can't bear to keep playing this franchise knowing it'll never be what I wanted it to.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it isn't THAT uncommon if Bungie is really pushing the MMO-hang out with friends (and buy our new xpac) angle, but it's still definitely not a good optics look after the fiasco regarding end-game content issues prior to the expansion launch.

They probably should have left at least one of the options (either raid or Nightfall) open for vanilla players - I imagine some of the issue is the 'light level' system which is messing with relative power/strength of DLC players vs vanilla.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Similar problem was there with the first game, you practically couldn't keep playing if you didn't buy every DLC. That's just the most BS business model, this along with bad PvP pushed me in the end to not buy D2. It's just unacceptable. The game ends up relatively very expensive. I guess if you really like it and it's the only game you play it's ok, not for me.

Similar games in the genre like Diablo or f2p ones like Warframe or Path of Exile have none of these problems, somehow Destiny does. Coming from PC background, it's a joke, maybe it's more acceptable in console business. This business model is simply going to be rejected on PC.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Are these publishers just going full on bridge burning? I know the sales are mostly locked in now, but I can't see upset fans coming back for a 3rd installment.

Sherbert

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising. This game and the first have been a cash grab from the start full of unethical practices. Didn't buy the first and won't buy this at any stage.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised after they did a similar thing in the first game. The Bungie I loved is dead, I'm glad they're off Halo. Maybe Activision will end up slowly killing them like they did IW.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck?( i am not really surprised )
So this game is a month old release on PC and i wont even be able to experience it's content i paid for just because i did not play it soon enough? Even if i thought that it sucks after playing a few hours does not mean i would not want to play it at some point in future.

I am sorry but you are disgusting pieces of shit Bungie/Activision. At least i am glad that it was cheap Nvidia key and not a direct full price purchase. Refund this shit if you can people.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Get ready for DLC 3-4 which wont be included in the season pass and will cost 30 or 40 bucks for each pack.

Why exactly would people "get ready" for that? There are plenty of issues with the game but the season pass was $35 Expansion I and II. This was known.

When Expansions III and IV come out in December 2018 and spring 2019, no one is going to be shocked that it wasn't part of the vanilla Destiny season pass.

Nor would they cost $30 or $40 for each. It was $35 for both of them this time, it will be the same then.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty shitty. Especially now that if you don't buy the expansion you are locked out of a trophy or achievement.

I hope we get Bungie apologizing again for their shit. Disturbing that they have exact same strategy as last game and if no lessons were learned.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
It's pretty shitty. Especially now that if you don't buy the expansion you are locked out of a trophy or achievement.

I hope we get Bungie apologizing again for their shit. Disturbing that they have exact same strategy as last game and if no lessons were learned.
At the end of the day, there's no reason to trust Bungie to deliver anything.

There will most likely be a blog post very soon from Bungie that discusses the DLC locks and what improvements are being made to "fix" this. It's the same old song and dance from its community managers to make players think they "care".
However, nothing has truly changed about Destiny or the way Bungie behaves.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
Man, Bungie has fallen so far. This is pathetic. I'm glad I haven't bought either Destiny game.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this the same thing they did with the first game?

How far will a vanilla Destiny take you?

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
That is so scummy, but yeah as others have said it isn't the first time they've done this. Its still complete and utter bullshit on top of all the other bullshit around this series though. I really wish people would vote with their wallets and stop supporting companies that treat their consumers and fans like this, it just amazes me how many more issues this game had over the first one when the first one was an unfinished mess of a product full of false promises and terrible ideas.

Destiny 2 seems to have some new controversy every week and it seems doubtful that will be stopping anytime soon.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
seriously, someone at bungie internal reviewed these content and said........"Yup, the community will be satisfied with this and gladly pay for this."

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I know people tend to say this sort of thing with stronger language, but don't confuse this with any lack of feeling behind it: I don't think I'll ever buy a new product with Bungie's name on it.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Destiny continues to somehow enfold all the worst parts of MMOs combined with all of the worst parts of annual FPS releases.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
seriously, someone at bungie internal reviewed these content and said........"Yup, the community will be satisfied with this and gladly pay for this."
I think it was more along the lines of "meh they'll buy it anyway especially when they realize were locking you out of the best content".

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I was just in the Destiny thread asking about it since I wanted to try it out...

But if you're gonna force me to pay for DLC just to hit the main content.... I got a PC to avoid the online charge....

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not surprised after they did a similar thing in the first game. The Bungie I loved is dead, I'm glad they're off Halo. Maybe Activision will end up slowly killing them like they did IW.
I hope you're not implying that you hope they "kill" the studio like what happened to Infinity Ward. As shitty as this situation is, I think that hoping for the studio's demise is pretty disrespectful to the employees, the majority of whom probably had no say in this matter.

Whoever was involved in this definitely needs to be talked to. But what you're suggesting seems wrong.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Wow fuck that. Wish I didn't buy digital.
I'm tight on funds so I can't get the dlc right now. I have yet to beat the first raid along with many in my clan(we're old). So that raid is no longer available to me? That just doesn't seem legal?

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
It's encouraging to see people might not be giving Bungie a pass any longer. When they did this with the first game was when I washed my hands of all things Destiny. It's been tough to watch what Bungie has become, and even tougher to see their fans refuse to criticize them as they did during the halo years.

NamikazeBurst

Oct 25, 2017
Got the game for "free" (I think I ended up paying taxes on it) with my graphics card. Was having fun playing it the past couple days but knowing that I am locked out of end-game content that was originally there is depressing. Now I don't know if I even want to beat the campaign, and only play in the future if the complete collection goes on sale in three years for $20.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
What I want to know is how the sales are so good when all I hear about the game since Destiny 1 is endless complaints. I only ever bought the base game of Destiny one and noped out of it after that horrendous campaign.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I think they did this with Destiny 1 but I'm not sure. Either way I'm not surprised because this is Bungie.

Unfortunately people will still give them a pass over this.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Destiny 2 is a flashing billboard, of what Bioware SHOULD NOT do with Anthem.

Surely they won't triple backflip into the same dumpster, right? Right?!

BlacJack

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Bullet, dodged.

This is what I feared, I couldn't afford the gold edition or whatever it is. And every DLC seems essential if you want to keep playing. Now compare it to The Division, I can still access every content, whether it's available from launch or added later, for free.

I honestly believe if The Division had you going against aliens in space it would have done so much better. This genre of shooter just doesn't seem to jive with the military type shooter. The Division had better loot systems AND more interesting loot, and it was rooted in boring old reality.

I couldn't get into Destiny 1 at all. Decided to still give Destiny 2 a try on PC and honestly loved it. Got to max power level and had a fun time doing it. But this sort of practice of taking away content from people that USED to be able to play it??? What?? I have never heard of this.

It amazes me that Destiny 1 did this and still had such a huge following?!? AND that I never heard of it.... Pretty frustrating what people are willing to give up for no real reason in the gaming community. Reminds me of the Xbox Live situation, and now everyone charges for their online. So silly. Companies will make you pay once they realize they're leaving money on the table lol.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I should have listened to Angry Joe like my gut told me. I can't believe a game that's pulling all this BS got such high reviews and is nominated for multiple awards.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
"We still can't figure out this MMO thing and still haven't learned important lessons from last time."

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
It's been tough to watch what Bungie has become, and even tougher to see their fans refuse to criticize them as they did during the halo years.

The fans who are running Prestige Nightfalls every week dgaf about this because it barely affects them at all, if anything it gives them something to do. Same with all the whining about bright engram drop rates, much ado over very little. People complain that there's no top level goal to work toward, Bungie creates one, people complain about that too. I'm just going to enjoy playing the game a few times a week I'll leave the criticizing to you.

Jimmy Wrong

Nov 20, 2017
This seems like the opposite of what MMO expansions do tbh

Ex: Guild Wars 2 lets you play the OG content regardless of which expansion you purchase (or not).

Also if Destiny 1 did this then this seems like reaching for more outrage. I'm not sure.

People liked the endgame stuff staying at competitive level rather than becoming obsolete. Raids would become obsolete during Destiny until Age Of Triumph made them all max light/power level. So Bungie are literally screwed either way on this.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
When there's a new raid in WoW the old raids don't get scaled to that gear level. It defeats the purpose of progression.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I hope you're not implying that you hope they "kill" the studio like what happened to Infinity Ward. As shitty as this situation is, I think that hoping for the studio's demise is pretty disrespectful to the employees, the majority of whom probably had no say in this matter.

Whoever was involved in this definitely needs to be talked to. But what you're suggesting seems wrong.

Naw, I wouldn't want people to lose their jobs.

But Activision has a habit of forcing their studios to work on the same franchise over and over, and trying to dictate what creators do with their franchise (tried to make IW stick to WWII, stopped IW from calling CoD 4: MW/MW2 only "Modern Warfare", etc.). One of the reasons Bungie left (or was let go by MS) was because they wanted to move on from Halo, work on a different franchise, be innovative/creative, and over time Activision tried to take that from IW (which led to disagreements, people leaving, and IW's exodus).

Now Bungie is literally screwing over customers, and being anti consumer. So I won't be upset or even care when Activision inevitably screws them over.

Bahamut

Nov 5, 2017
The fans who are running Prestige Nightfalls every week dgaf about this because it barely affects them at all, if anything it gives them something to do. Same with all the whining about bright engram drop rates, much ado over very little. People complain that there's no top level goal to work toward, Bungie creates one, people complain about that too. I'm just going to enjoy playing the game a few times a week I'll leave the criticizing to you.

????

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I think they did this with Destiny 1 but I'm not sure. Either way I'm not surprised because this is Bungie.

Unfortunately people will still give them a pass over this.

Yeah, they did the exact same thing, damn near the same timing as well, good job on being consistent Bungie.

This and the fucked up timed exclusive and exclusive content that you have to pay for regardless are the reasons I never got on board with the first game and I made the right assumption they'd do the same with the second game.

I feel like if people wanted this to change, probably should've voted with your wallet.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are these publishers just going full on bridge burning? I know the sales are mostly locked in now, but I can't see upset fans coming back for a 3rd installment.

I most certainly won't, at least until long after launch and they prove the same issues won't arise. Destiny 2 pushed me to Warframe and i'm perfectly happy to never play D2 again since Warframe is everything I want and more. I'll dip into Destiny 2 again since I stupidly bought the season pass and can't get a refund on PC, but i'm done with the game.

Bahamut

Nov 5, 2017
Looks like I am going to cut my losses and get rid of my physical copy. Shame. I was hoping this time would be different. Looks like I am avoiding Destiny 3 or their whatever their next IP is.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people on Reddit are getting refunds on their digital purchase. MS has been refunding pretty hassle-free but Sony are being dicks about it.
I'm going to keep trying with Sony since I can't even get past the chat request page. I didn't really like the game much in general and I don't plan to ever go back any time soon.

And I'm not at all trying to be any kind of Bungie/Activision apologist, but I wish people wouldn't come in here just to act smug about how they didn't buy the first or second game. We get it, you totally saw it coming. Good for you, but you're basically trolling.

Somni

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Vote with your wallet, folks.

When you give them money, you're more or less encourgaing developers and publsihers to continue these practices, regardless of how much you disapprove.