• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Clearly they only gave it a perfect score because they were allowed to be in the game!!!!!

Let's just see what ELSE they gave a perfect score, MUAH HAHAHA

Metal Gear Solid V
Metal Gear Solid 4
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker

And THERE you have it, uncontestable proof that Kojima planned to allow the famitsu team to be in the game JUST to get a high score for Death Stranding and ALL these other titles.

For shame, for shame!
Famitsu giving perfect scores to those things just makes them shadier tbh.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Not a great look.

Nor is it when Geoff Keighley says he has no influence in the GOTY process, yet proceeds to constantly tweet nothing but Death Stranding on some propaganda shit.
Yeah, how can he tweet every time about a game that his friend made and he liked? He's clearly setting up people to accept that Death Stranding is the GOTY. We should cancel him. /S

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
COLLUSION

Famitsu's reviews are whatever, but I do like their previews and overall magazine layout. They score some nice interviews as well.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Are people not allowed to like Death Stranding?

The general consensus is positive going by metacritic (83+) so what's up really?

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Clearly they only gave it a perfect score because they were allowed to be in the game!!!!!

Metal Gear Solid V
Metal Gear Solid 4

And THERE you have it, uncontestable proof that Kojima planned to allow the famitsu team to be in the game JUST to get a high score for Death Stranding and ALL these other titles.

For shame, for shame!

I want to make a joke about this but this post is honestly too pathetic for me to do it. Good god dude get a grip.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Without the ability to hear tone I barely can tell who is just having a chuckle over this and who is lambasting famitsu. The major limitation of text without gifs.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Well, they gave perfect score to MGS V and PW but no MGS 2 and 3, pretty fishy to me
Famitsu used to be significantly stricter pre-HD era (there's an interview from ages ago, iirc from the guy who cameos here, where he admits to score inflation as a means of fostering pride / encouraging local game devs who were having trouble with the transition). Starting in 2008, they gave out about as many perfect scores in the next two years as they did in the previous twenty.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Kotaku discovering that Famitsu scores mean jack shit? Well, that good ol' meme is still relevant then. Even user reviews on Metacritic for a game with pro-women/LGBT stuff are more relevant than majority of Famitsu 40/40 reviews, so... (granted, Famitsu reviews don't make you lose all hope in humanity, but you catch my drift).

EJGEkzuWkAUh1UE
Ironically, you're the Slowpoke

4/21/10 1:00AM

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
People really love hating on Kojima now.

How times have changed.

What are you talking about?
Three people brought up Kojima in this thread, one of them being you, another defending Kojima (from seemingly nothing but a pattern noticed in Famitsus scoring vs. cameoing...) and the last was a rebuttal against that defence.

Either way, this isn't the first time Famitsu has done this; they've done it with Peace Walker - giving it a 10/10 where their magazine was also featured in the game as an item.

Do I think their review is dishonest? No. Is it a conflict of interest? Absolutely.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017

Metal Gear Solid V
Metal Gear Solid 4

For shame, for shame!
5195.jpg

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

Metal Gear Solid V
Metal Gear Solid 4

For shame, for shame!

Peace Walker was actually criticized because the CEO of Famitsu was included of ads for the game before its release (Famitsu is in the game too).

18j3sc1rekz15png.png

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Peace Walker was actually criticized because the CEO of Famitsu was included of ads for the game before its release (Famitsu is in the game too).

18j3sc1rekz15png.png

I guess Kojima had too much backing with Konami for any of this to snowball, at the very least they should retract their review I think.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Metal Gear Solid V
Metal Gear Solid 4

For shame, for shame!
Is this the kind of meltdowns people had for Zelda/Uncharted reviews? :p

I see Japan has its own gamergaters 🙄
I don't see harassing campaigns against women...? (Really, is there something of this kind happening? Sorry. I haven't been paying attention)

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Metal Gear Solid V
Metal Gear Solid 4

For shame, for shame!
What can I say but YIKES.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Might as well start predicting what new award categories Geoff will create to make sure Death Stranding wins "the most awards in Game Awards history".

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
The video game industry still way too immature to understand conflict of interest. And that goes towards everyone that's queuing up for a cameo.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I want to make a joke about this but this post is honestly too pathetic for me to do it. Good god dude get a grip.
If you look at their posts in the other Kojima thread - and since they've got nearly twice as many as the next person it's not hard to notice - you'd see that they're almost certainly being sarcastic there. They've mostly lashed out against Kojima haters.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

Metal Gear Solid V
Metal Gear Solid 4

For shame, for shame!
Um, that's a bigger strike against them for any one of those three getting perfect scores, if you ask me. Woof.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
While I don't think it will win due to it being too divisive, would Death Stranding winning GOTY at the Game Award really be a big example of "this is rigged!"?

I mean is there even a consensus on what is most likely to win or what "deserves" to win? I can understand if there was a BotW, RDR2 or GoW level game this year.

But it seems like this year is completely open, therefore no game should feel robbed if DS wins.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I don't think it will win due to it being too divisive, would Death Stranding winning GOTY at the Game Award really be a big example of "this is rigged!"?

Absolutely, even though Keighly doesn't choose who wins it would look REALLY bad if it wins GOTY, it literally cannot happen now.

It almost become a meme it would win by default when people thought it would review amazingly.

Deleted member 57361

Banned
Jun 2, 2019

I mean is there even a consensus on what is most likely to win or what "deserves" to win? I can understand if there was a BotW, RDR2 or GoW level game this year.

But it seems like this year is completely open, therefore no game should feel robbed if DS wins.
No developer would feel that way. The public on the other hand...

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018

Metal Gear Solid V
Metal Gear Solid 4

For shame, for shame!

I'd also like to add that Death Stranding received more 10s than any video game of 2019! So if we're singling out Famitsu, we have to question just how many reviewers did Kojima pay off by putting them into the game! Kotaku, I demand you get on the case!

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd also like to add that Death Stranding received more 10s than any video game of 2019! So if we're singling out Famitsu, we have to question just how many reviewers did Kojima pay off by putting them into the game! Kotaku, I demand you get on the case!

Hopefully others look into it at least.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
People really love hating on Kojima now.

How times have changed.
To be fair, his tweets don't do him any favors. It seems like he thinks he has a halo above his head. Trying to create his own genre like a kid in high school trying to create his own nickname. Then saying he's going to get into movies despite his writing being embarrassing even in the video game sector.

Mr. Lemming

Oct 25, 2017
This is just Kojima being extremely meta. He is demonstrating the power of strands/connections in real life!

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Kotaku discovering that Famitsu scores mean jack shit? Well, that good ol' meme is still relevant then. Even user reviews on Metacritic for a game with pro-women/LGBT stuff are more relevant than majority of Famitsu 40/40 reviews, so... (granted, Famitsu reviews don't make you lose all hope in humanity, but you catch my drift).

EJGEkzuWkAUh1UE
Actually, they did do a story in 2010, when a similar thing happened with Peace Walker - https://kotaku.com/do-not-trust-this-magazines-review-scores-5520937

It's just being brought up again because it's happening again and causing a minor fervor in the Japanese gaming community.

I know Kotaku has made mistakes in the past (and I'm not a big fan of Brian Ashcraft), but I don't think they deserve shit for this one.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Famitsu used to be significantly stricter pre-HD era (there's an interview from ages ago, iirc from the guy who cameos here, where he admits to score inflation as a means of fostering pride / encouraging local game devs who were having trouble with the transition). Starting in 2008, they gave out about as many perfect scores in the next two years as they did in the previous twenty.
It was a weird time; Famitsu had a reputation for being an extremely hard marker, so when a game got a perfect score the western outlets would be taking about how amazing it is - along with an explanation of what the heck Famitsu even is because most English-speaking fans would have no idea. Then people started cuing in that these articles were coming along awfully often for a magazine that supposedly never gave perfect scores.

Last edited:

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
Pretty soon we're going to have to make a concern list for this game like the one for Monster Hunter World.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
game should get GOTY, both because it deserves it and also because seeing Era meltdown would be incredibly fun