• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

Last spring, Electronic Arts canceled a planned spinoff of its popular Star Wars: Battlefront series—the third Star Wars game that the publisher has axed since 2017. This latest game, code-named Viking, was originally envisioned for release in fall 2020 alongside the next generation of consoles. But once it became clear to EA's executives that the timeline was unrealistic, Viking was no more.

This account is based on interviews with six people familiar with EA's inner workings, all of whom spoke anonymously because they were not authorized to speak to a reporter about canceled projects.
Source and full article: https://kotaku.com/sources-ea-canceled-a-star-wars-battlefront-spinoff-l-1841840704

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
makes me wonder how Fallen Order has survived

the magic of Respawn I guess

feelthesurge

Nov 15, 2017
Wow I didn't even know that there were scrapped games. Makes me wonder if Fallen Order did well enough for Disney to justify a continuation of their contract with EA...

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Dude wtf, I know games are canceled all the time and we just never hear about it but theres no way that all three of these games were just not going well and there isnt a connect the dots that cant be played with them. Something is clearly going on at EA, most people claim its the forcing of Frostbite, many others say its the forced GAAS mechanics and structure, well whatever it is, hopefully after the success of Fallen Order we see clear steps taken to make sure it doesnt happen again for the same reason.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
couldn't ship by 2020 so they cancelled it... instead of you know, aiming for another year.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
If there's one thing that has upset me the most about Disney buying Star Wars, it's definitely them giving EA an exclusive license to the series. It's been nothing but fumbles ever since, Fallen Order feels like the first hit but it just looks like the most boring AAA take on the series I can imagine.

Oct 27, 2017
A spin off of Battefront doesn't sound like the best idea. Probably a good thing to cancel it.

There would be no reason not to just fold whatever that is into the main game anyway, though I guess Bad Company 2 did have the Vietnam expansion that was well received. But I wouldn't really consider that a spin off.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
So this is not the game that the Battlefront 2 campaign team (at Motive) has been working on since that game shipped in 2017. I wonder when we'll see that game

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
140.gif

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So just Fallen Order and a smaller thing. No BF3, I guess.

They've added so much to 2 that i'm not sure what a Battlefront 3 could offer. It would either have to include everything 2 has or it would feel really lacking. Wouldn't be surprised if they just push 2 onto the new generation with a content patch or something.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
So just Fallen Order and a smaller thing. No BF3, I guess.
Fortunately, with Battlefront 2, we lost a lot of maps of Battlefront 1 (and DLCs) while they could just add them (even that, they couldn't because they changed the core of the galactic assault so they should re-design the maps)

Now they can just add them step by step instead of releasing BF3 and having a Battlefront 2 situation where you lose maps from previous game

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I remember wishing I was a Star Wars fan when the Battle Front 2 commercial with grown adults being a kid again, thinking about being home and playing Star Wars games came out. Now I'm ok with not being a fan, because it looks like they have been through the ringer even if they are getting a lot of movies and some games.

www.youtube.com

Star Wars Battlefront PlayStation | PS4

The Force Is Strong With PlayStation

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder how the situation would look like, if Disney wasn't so protective about Star Wars and thus wasn't surpressing artistic freedom because "everything has to be canon". Still think this does more harm than good.

EA really isn't getting the most out of this license are they.

Last we heard, Disney was actually pretty happy about how EA is handling Star Wars, which I'll never understand...

Dhruvenator

Aug 29, 2019
Wiiiiild speculation. Hope Jason is able to uncover something surprising!

twitter.com

Jason Schreier on Twitter

“@Hybridchld @Havoc_Maker Sorry, I just don't like to share things unless I'm 100% sure about them, and I'm still doing some reporting on the KOTOR rumor. I'll say this, though: if it's really happening, it's not at EA”

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I love Jedi Fallen Order, but EA's handling of the license has been incredibly dissapointing. I really wish it wasn't exclusive to them.

Also interesting note at the end about two games in development. Wouldn't that imply that the KotOR reimagining isn't happening anytime soon, if at all?

Edit: Just saw Jason's tweet above. Interesting...

Last edited:

Deleted member 25448

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"new Star Wars games in development—a sequel to Jedi Fallen Order at Respawn "

Kinda off-topic, but we're never getting Titanfall 3 are we? :(

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Also why would EA expect anyone to be able to produce a AAA gen 8 game in a year and a half? At least without insane crunch

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
It's just me or Jason Schreier always brings bad news,preferably a game's cancel.EA suck and I still don't understand why Disney still trust them.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
If there's one thing that has upset me the most about Disney buying Star Wars, it's definitely them giving EA an exclusive license to the series. It's been nothing but fumbles ever since, Fallen Order feels like the first hit but it just looks like the most boring AAA take on the series I can imagine.
Not like Disney's doing much better

A perfect pair.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
We're going to end up with more cancelled Star Wars games than released ones once EA finally loses the license.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
ea having the license for star wars is the most disappointing thing this gen. what a monumental waste. give it to some other companies.

Jan 4, 2018
The craziest part of this to me is that from what I remember Ragtag was canceled because it was too small/linear. So they start to make Orca which is open world but then cancel that because they wanted something smaller that could be released sooner. Then they start Viking and cancel that because apparently it wouldn't make Fall 2020. Maybe just stick to a game and finish it instead of this endless spiral of starting over because the current project won't meant some ridiculous deadline.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
It's just me or Jason Schreier always brings bad news,preferably a game's cancel.EA suck and I still don't understand why Disney still trust them.
game cancelations usually involve interesting stories, which he likes more than "X game is in development" i think he also mentioned previously that he doesn't like to spoil good surprises.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Not really sure why people want them to do... 3 projects in varying lengths of preproduction/production, that weren't going to pan out were cancelled.

Did you want them to force out inferior projects out the door?

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
game cancelations usually involve interesting stories, which he likes more than "X game is in development" i think he also mentioned previously that he doesn't like to spoil good surprises.
Yeah,he is right,the only game I want a potential spoil confirmation is an AAA Harry Potter game rs