• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
On the hother hand reports from the BF2 and Fallen Order devs have been positive when it comes to working with lucasfilm overseers. They get a lot of creative freedom it just has to fit within the SW universe and most designers don't inherently struggle with that idea. The idea that working with lucasfilm is a nightmare seems to be a gross exaggeration of what is a normal collaborative process where some ideas get shot down and/or and others get greenlit. On top of just trying to keep specific characters consistent so that we don't get stupid shit like this:

Like that post you quoted about the SW FO documentary, i've watched it, they never state that things are a nightmare, they state that there was a back and forth about the speed of Cal's force push.

It wasn't just one thing or one documentary. I've heard it from the Visceral team, I heard it from the Battlefront team, I heard it from the Fallen Order team, and I've heard it from the Old Republic team. The thing is, their "overseeing" impacts some people on the development team more than others. Someone who is a character modeler or animator is going to have a much more frustrating time waiting for approval for days on end when there's important work to be done than a level designer making a "less-important" desert planet that looks like Tatooine, especially as that's some of the harder work to do for a game and suddenly it's pushed back further and further into the "crunch" period. You can get by with a blurry texture or a poor model in a dense junk level, but players immediately will notice if you didn't have the time to polish an important character or story scene.

And, yeah, ALL license holders have some degree of oversight. Capcom talked about how Marvel has a giant list of restrictions and rules for their characters when designing Marvel vs Capcom - up to and including the position of Doctor Strange's fingers during spells and the animation of his hands. The difference, they said, was that Marvel gave them the big giant list of requirements for every character - what was allowed, what wasn't - and Capcom then had to just do one cycle for feedback to see if their approach fit Marvel's criteria. For Lucasfilm and their Star Wars projects, I've heard that wasn't the case. As a designer, nothing frustrated me more than designing "in the dark" without direction or rules, only to submit it for approval and get feedback that was the equivalent of "not what I'm look for, give me another round of ideas, I'll know it when I see it. Change their shirt color or something. Make the walk cycle cooler."

So in isolation, one example of "make the speed of Force Push faster" isn't that bad. But I often hear it's far more than that. EVERY thing must get approved by Lucasfilm - every character, story beat, alien world, ship design, weapon design, hair design, clothing design, creature design, plant design, voice line, voice delivery, etc. - and that just naturally slows things down. Good games can take years to make even if everything is going smoothly with fast approvals.

Which is a testament that, yeah, Battlefront 2 got good and Fallen Order was solid, which is a massive achievement given the extra hurdles needed to get it to store shelves, and likely a reason why they were both still released in a rough state.

This project was cancelled before Fallen Order was released to glowing praise and sales that exceeded expectations.
Which is why EA should have had more faith in the development team and license instead of jumping the gun and thinking these type of games aren't viable.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It wasn't just one thing or one documentary. I've heard it from the Visceral team, I heard it from the Battlefront team, I heard it from the Fallen Order team, and I've heard it from the Old Republic team. The thing is, their "overseeing" impacts some people on the development team more than others. Someone who is a character modeler or animator is going to have a much more frustrating time waiting for approval for days on end when there's important work to be done than a level designer making a "less-important" desert planet that looks like Tatooine, especially as that's some of the harder work to do for a game and suddenly it's pushed back further and further into the "crunch" period. You can get by with a blurry texture or a poor model in a dense junk level, but players immediately will notice if you didn't have the time to polish an important character or story scene.

And, yeah, ALL license holders have some degree of oversight. Capcom talked about how Marvel has a giant list of restrictions and rules for their characters when designing Marvel vs Capcom - up to and including the position of Doctor Strange's fingers during spells and the animation of his hands. The difference, they said, was that Marvel gave them the big giant list of requirements for every character - what was allowed, what wasn't - and Capcom then had to just do one cycle for feedback to see if their approach fit Marvel's criteria. For Lucasfilm and their Star Wars projects, I've heard that wasn't the case. As a designer, nothing frustrated me more than designing "in the dark" without direction or rules, only to submit it for approval and get feedback that was the equivalent of "not what I'm look for, give me another round of ideas, I'll know it when I see it. Change their shirt color or something. Make the walk cycle cooler."
I mean, i can relate but based on what i've heard it isn't as dire as you're describing.
So in isolation, one example of "make the speed of Force Push faster" isn't that bad. But I often hear it's far more than that. EVERY thing must get approved by Lucasfilm - every character, story beat, alien world, ship design, weapon design, hair design, clothing design, creature design, plant design, voice line, voice delivery, etc. - and that just naturally slows things down. Good games can take years to make even if everything is going smoothly with fast approvals.

Which is a testament that, yeah, Battlefront 2 got good and Fallen Order was solid, which is a massive achievement given the extra hurdles needed to get it to store shelves, and likely a reason why they were both still released in a rough state.
I wouldn't attribute the flaws of those titles to tje fact that they had to get approval from Lucasfilm people who were involved with the project from the get go,
Which is why EA should have had more faith in the development team and license instead of jumping the gun and thinking these type of games aren't viable.
EA was never wrong about they said wasn't viable compare to the changing market trends.

aeroslash

Feb 7, 2018
Well, i know for a fact that EA is working on another Star Wars game. So at least they have one.
And quite advanced i must say.

Oct 25, 2017
great! There are 9 years between 2003 and 2013 when EA secured the exclusive license where are the flood of Star Wars games between 2003 and 2013? by your logic, we should have had about 36 great games, right?
Truth be told, it makes no sense to do a direct comparison between then - when games were much cheaper, less risky ventures - and now when games are risky, expensive and can easily fail.

finally, the Battlefront series are actually quite good. Can EA truly be blamed because you don't like multiplayer shooters?
Around 2008 is when the StarWars license went to crap because LucasArts themselves shifted focus from mid-tier games to going after a few AAA games (always cancelled Battlefront 3 and trying to push Force Unleased as AAA)

LOL I love multiplayer shooters. Battlefront 1 was not a complete game while 2 at launch was complete but terrible game
Meanwhile in 2003 you could make an industry leading game with 50 people and ~2 years of development time, game budgets were consequently a small fraction of what they are today, and there were a huge number of work for hire studios who were capable of making games that were "high budget" for the era. Regrettably we don't live in 2003 anymore.

Electronic Arts was an attractive partner because they were willing to assign ~1000+ developers to the licence on their own money. It's almost inconceivable to imagine Ubisoft or Activision in the same era just throwing 5 studios on it like EA did, because it would have meant massive disruptions to their own franchises.

We might have got some creative AA tier stuff if the licence was open to whomever was willing to make games in it, but developing AAA titles when you don't have any kind of exclusivity to the IP seems very unlikely. It's not like Marvel stuff where "Avengers" and "Spiderman" are attractive IPs in their own right.
Thats the problem, EA owns the license everything doesn't need to be a AAA release.
They have engines, mechanics and assets of a FPS and flight games.
why not do a cheap little EA's Star Wars Starfighter with all those assets, or EA's Star Wars Imperial/Rebel Commando?
EA wants everyone to focus and buy their 1 big AAA.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I replied to someone who said they have done nothing good with it. Goalpost moving is fun though.

And needing to go back 16 years to base your argument around games from 2003 is telling.
I mean, sure, but it's not like 2003 was the last good year. We got KOTOR 2 in 2004, Republic Commando and Battlefront II in 2005, Empire at War in 2006, Force Unleashed in 2008, Force Unleashed 2 in 2010, The Old Republic in 2011, etc...

I'd rather take the 7 years from 2003-2010 than the 7 years from 2013-2020.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I mean, sure, but it's not like 2003 was the last good year. We got KOTOR 2 in 2004, Republic Commando and Battlefront II in 2005, Empire at War in 2006, Force Unleashed in 2008, Force Unleashed 2 in 2010, The Old Republic in 2011, etc...

I'd rather take the 7 years from 2003-2010 than the 7 years from 2013-2020.

Sure, I get that.

But saying EA literally did nothing worthwhile with the license a few months after releasing what will absolutely go down as one of the greatest Star Wars games is pretty poor commentary.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sure, I get that.

But saying EA literally did nothing worthwhile with the license a few months after releasing what will absolutely go down as one of the greatest Star Wars games is pretty poor commentary.
I certainly won't say Fallen Order is a bad game (it's very good, in fact), but... I'm going to wait for the honeymoon period for it to die down before I label it as one of the greatest ever. Months later and it's still supremely rough in places, clearly unpolished and broke and glitchy, and definitely should have been held back several more months to get much-needed polish and bug-testing.

I'll agree with the critics that said that it's a decent game that seems much better than it actually is because everyone was so hungry for a good Star Wars experience that it inflated their opinion of an above-average game into one of the "best" games of the year, when it's merely a solid 6 or 7/10 (but that's basically an oasis on Tatooine for Star Wars players who haven't had a single-player game THAT good in nearly a decade.)

Definitely a step in the right direction, but I'm not sure I would even count it among the top 10 best Star Wars games I've played.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
EA..... Man what a shitty unorganized money grubbing establishment.

I feel like I've said that for at least 10 years

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
On the hother hand reports from the BF2 and Fallen Order devs have been positive when it comes to working with lucasfilm overseers. They get a lot of creative freedom it just has to fit within the SW universe and most designers don't inherently struggle with that idea. The idea that working with lucasfilm is a nightmare seems to be a gross exaggeration of what is a normal collaborative process where some ideas get shot down and/or and others get greenlit. On top of just trying to keep specific characters consistent so that we don't get stupid shit like this:

Like that post you quoted about the SW FO documentary, i've watched it, they never state that things are a nightmare, they state that there was a back and forth about the speed of Cal's force push.

Fallen Orders' game director disagrees with that assertion

www.gamesradar.com

Lucasfilm wanted Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order to be a very different game at first

"You might as well ask us to start building a racing game at this point"

"I pitched, 'Hey, what if we do a game about Jedi and Force powers?' And they were not super comfortable with that. They kind of threw it back and were like, 'What about blasters, and maybe bounty hunters?' I was like, that's not the background of the team that we built. You might as well ask us to start building a racing game at this point. I don't think anybody's really gonna be happy with the results of that.

"What I came to learn and find out is that, for them, the Jedi is the Holy Grail. To make a game about Jedi, you've gotta earn it. There was a little bit of a back and forth but they could see where I was coming from. So they said, 'Alright, we can start having a conversation about making a game about Force users. But not Jedi.' Then the game comes out and its name is Jedi, so obviously there was a big relationship that needed to be built there."

"They own the license. It's their responsibility that we stay in line and play by the rules," Asmussen explains. "At work I might be like, 'Yeah, I spoke with Lucasfilm and they gave us a hard no on this one thing.' Why? Why can't we do this?' Sometimes we didn't get a very good explanation, and that's because they couldn't tell us why. Which is a very fair response when you're working with such a big franchise."

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

www.gamesradar.com

Lucasfilm wanted Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order to be a very different game at first

"I pitched, 'Hey, what if we do a game about Jedi and Force powers?' And they were not super comfortable with that. They kind of threw it back and were like, 'What about blasters, and maybe bounty hunters?' I was like, that's not the background of the team that we built. You might as well ask us to start building a racing game at this point. I don't think anybody's really gonna be happy with the results of that.

"What I came to learn and find out is that, for them, the Jedi is the Holy Grail. To make a game about Jedi, you've gotta earn it. There was a little bit of a back and forth but they could see where I was coming from. So they said, 'Alright, we can start having a conversation about making a game about Force users. But not Jedi.' Then the game comes out and its name is Jedi, so obviously there was a big relationship that needed to be built there."

"They own the license. It's their responsibility that we stay in line and play by the rules," Asmussen explains. "At work I might be like, 'Yeah, I spoke with Lucasfilm and they gave us a hard no on this one thing.' Why? Why can't we do this?' Sometimes we didn't get a very good explanation, and that's because they couldn't tell us why. Which is a very fair response when you're working with such a big franchise."

I remember BF2 devs also speaking out about it, they blamed Lucas for the lootboxes because they wouldn't let them sell cosmetics, something about "we can't have a pink darth vader" or some such.

Nov 8, 2017
Thats the problem, EA owns the license everything doesn't need to be a AAA release.
why not do a cheap little EA's Star Wars Starfighter with all those assets, or EA's Star Wars Imperial/Rebel Commando?

From a quality perspective, sure. I'd love smaller games instead. Hard to say that it's the wrong fiscal decision, though. Battlefront, Battlefront 2 and Fallen Order all sold over 10 million copies (the first two considerably more than 10 million), and the multiplayer titles have been bringing in substantial service revenues from microtransactions for years.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I remember BF2 devs also speaking out about it, they blamed Lucas for the lootboxes because they wouldn't let them sell cosmetics, something about "we can't have a pink darth vader" or some such.
Oh geez, this. "They told us it would "break the canon"."

As if Darth Vader fighting Anakin Skywalker on Bespin while BB-8 rolls around didn't already do that.

aeroslash

Feb 7, 2018

EA is doing a flying simulator game.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Saying EA did nothing with the franchise is disingenuous.

Saying that they squandered it is on the nose.

BF1 should have had more content.
BF2 had a lot more work put into it so kudos for that but it generally seems to be a pretty weak game at heart despite that. People are still enjoying it but I loved BF1 gameplay and atmosphere and BF2 loses a lot of that for me and many others.

2 lackluster shooters in the same series.

Fallen Order is more what we wanted. However that's the tail end of the movie releases. I see 2008 onwards keeps getting brought up but those years didn't have the added benefit of a bunch of super hyped new movie releases, locations and characters to pull from. Yes EA squandered it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

www.gamesradar.com

That article literally proves what I said about the gross exaggeration of working with Lucasfilm.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Anakin wasn't playable until years after the initial release.
... That doesn't mean I still can't make this crazy canon-destroying scenario happen, which is their big argument against cosmetics.

tumblr_pnm0z2Zslu1w4t7wqo4_540.gifv

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
... That doesn't mean I still can't make this crazy canon-destroying scenario happen, which is their big argument against cosmetics.

tumblr_pnm0z2Zslu1w4t7wqo4_540.gifv
This is again, years after the initial discussion about certain cosmetics breaking canon. The concern was never "certain characters should never fight" it was always "all costumes should fit the canon"

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is again, years after the initial discussion about certain cosmetics breaking canon. The concern was never "certain characters should never fight" it was always "all costumes should fit the canon"
That's not what they said.

When asked about why they didn't do cosmetics, I quote:
"The one thing we're very focused on and they are extremely focused on is not violating the canon of Star Wars," Jorgensen said at the Credit Suisse Annual Technology, Media and Telecom Conference.

"It's an amazing brand that's been built over many, many years, and so if you did a bunch of cosmetic things, you might start to violate the canon, right? Darth Vader in white probably doesn't make sense, versus in black. Not to mention you probably don't want Darth Vader in pink. No offense to pink, but I don't think that's right in the canon."

Meanwhile, in comics:
ZSvet6Ov0E7_7xrEo3ejNStytGgep9Y6mT9LqZkT6Yl1h8dgfZWZWq0U9hde2z4XQjKz1dXE52e0sp_KSoZiNlB-htb2IyrwZiav2cVoMDTsig0BlARF-i0a

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
That's not what they said.

When asked about why they didn't do cosmetics, I quote:

Meanwhile, in comics:
ZSvet6Ov0E7_7xrEo3ejNStytGgep9Y6mT9LqZkT6Yl1h8dgfZWZWq0U9hde2z4XQjKz1dXE52e0sp_KSoZiNlB-htb2IyrwZiav2cVoMDTsig0BlARF-i0a
That image is broken for me. And again, they have cosmetics now that strictly follow canon but were pursuing a different revenue model at first. Hell they had cosmetics they just didn't go ham and come up with Force Unleashed tier alts for the character.