• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did a Joy-Con Drift for you?

• Yes

Votes: 1,036 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 517 33.3%

• Total voters

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
For months, Nintendo Switch users have been plagued by what's become known as "Joy-Con drift." Although they're not touching the joystick on their Nintendo Switch controller, the console still thinks it's moving. With no permanent fix being offered by Nintendo, they're just sick of it.

I thought it was just me. Then four other Kotaku staffers mentioned that they've also been having problems with Joy-Con drift. That's about a quarter of us.

Fans have not found a permanent fix for this issue, beyond simply tearing out the joystick in the controller and replacing it with another. At least I know what I'll blame the next time I lose at Mario Kart.

There are many more examples in the article.

There was a highly voted Reddit thread about it this week

As someone who has suffered multiple joy cons drifting, I'm glad this issues is getting more traction.

Even the twitter replies for this article are full of complaints

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah this is a real problem, hoping Switch Lite's internals are good enough that it doesn't become an issue there too.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
those joycons are crazy expensive, so you should be able to get a replacement for issues like this.

the drifting started happening to me too, although i try to always use the Pro controller when i can.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Oooohh, so this is a thing? I've noticed it on 3 of my joycons while playing Mario Kart!

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is this happening in portable mode? I've never experienced this I think.

Docked I used a pro controller.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's probably a temporary fix, but I found that lifting the rubber band around the joystick and brushing lightly around the joystick with a toothbrush temporarily relieves the problem. It shouldn't happen in the first place, but it's a better fix than getting a new joystick.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Between me and my brother we're 3 for 3 on pairs of joycons drifting.

Bought him a new pair (the '3' of '3 for 3') last year since it was bothering him so much and he plays handheld much more than docked... but by the end of the year it too was drifting.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Recently I've had tons of issues playing VA11-HALL-A and FFXII on my launch Switch, the joysticks have a mind of their own. I'd buy replacement Joy-Cons but they're pricey as hell.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
These should be replaced by Nintendo

Also, going to be a huge issue if the Switch Lite does the same thing. I don't think they e changed the internals on retail joy cons

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The real problem is the joycons are not at all durable. The switch itself imo is disappointing from a reliability standpoint. I've had way too many issues with mine that I'm sooo looking forward to the switch lite to leave my current in permanent dock mode.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Everything I try is only a temporary fix. Rubbing alcohol + q-tip, compressed air, contact cleaner, etc. I might have to replace the stick itself, but I'm not great at tinkering with electronics.

There's no way I'm buying a Switch Lite when the "joycon" are irreplaceable.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I experience connection issues sometimes where an input gets registered late or doesnt get registered at all. Is this the drifting problem people talk about?

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Two of the three sets of joycons have drift. The Red and Blue sets I had since launch are fucked. Only ones that are still okay are the yellow set I got last year. Can't do much because the warranty periods are done.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yep it's insanely annoying. I'm lucky I happened to have bought a Pro Controller instead of another pair before I realized what a prevalent issue it was.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I've had the Switch menu randomly slam to the top left sometimes when I've had the console idle on home menu. Is that stick drift sliding left and the console thinks it's an input? Or is that something else?

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly there should be a class-action lawsuit against Nintendo if they are not replacing JoyCons with drift issues for free. This is some anti-consumer bullshit

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame Nintendo has lost their reputation for dependable hardware with the Switch and its accessories. Not that it's a dumpster fire by any means, but there have been more issues than any other generation of hardware of theirs I believe.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I got my Switch last December. The Joycon drift started in May and has only gotten worse despite my attempts to clear the dust with compressed air. Gonna hope the electrical contact cleaner works, but yeah, this is fucking unacceptable. Mario Kart is basically unplayable and Crash Team Racing has a few moments of "fuck I'm veering left into a wall" every seven or so races.

Is this happening in portable mode? I've never experienced this I think.

Docked I used a pro controller.
It's happening in portable mode.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
The JoyCons in general are a problem imo. They're janky/cheap feeling, and the lack of a DPad really stings when playing retro games.

VileZero

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maryland/DC
Wasn't this a problem years ago? Wonder why this is resurfacing now.

I had to send my left joycon in maybe 4 months after I got it in 2017. Nintendo paid for the shipping, got it back in a pretty quick turnaround. No issues since then.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah I have this problem frequently too. Sometimes I'm on the Switch menu and it drifts all the way to the right. If I move the stick to the left, it returns to the right by itself. I have to turn off-on the console everytime that happens.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Maybe I don't use JoyCon enough but I've never experienced this with my 8 controllers.

Wasnt this fixed after launch?

Yeah this is a real problem, hoping Switch Lite's internals are good enough that it doesn't become an issue there too.

I'm not sure how many folks are going to test this out, to be honest. It doesn't dock to TVs, nor have a kickstand for tabletop.

Regardless, I'm sure it's a joy con issue and not the Switch.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My left joycon is basically unusable now the drift is so bad. Even with spraying compressed air and toothbrushing under the flap. Especially disappointing since I replaced the shells two years ago and have no desire to do that again :(

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Luckily havent experienced this, I hope this has been fixed in newer joycons. They already feel way too expensive for what you get.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Horrible dpad on the Pro, terrible analog sticks on the joy cons. What happened to you, Nintendo? I came to expect weaker specs from you, but always knew I could rely on the controllers. Now I dont even have that.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Despite being a Nintendo Fan at heart, its absolutely clear that there is a serious bias towards Nintendo if this hasn't become an issue on the level of the RRoD. Controllers and especially the Joycons can become expensive real fast, to replace them so frequently because their build quality is shit is a true disappointment, especially when it comes from the company who used to be as famous as Nokia for product durability.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a real problem. I've not encountered it, but my mate has and was too skint to get it fixed (he scrimped and saved for his switch). It's really unacceptable.

Perona

Oct 31, 2017
First time I noticed this was over a year ago when playing XC2 which was especially annoying bc you have to stand still to attack and my character would just keep moving on their own. It's been a constant issue that goes away for a while with electronics cleaner but always comes back. My joycons are starting to disconnect while in portable mode now too.

Oct 25, 2017
I had this issue with both my original joycons. Now with my new ones I have the (worse?) issue of the Switch deciding that the joycons have become detached in handheld mode. Sometimes this means buttons don't register for a few seconds. Sometimes it means the Switch will display a screen telling me to connect them. And in the worst of all scenarios it will flash the low power icon (despite the battery being full), go into sleep mode and then when I take it out of sleep it will still ask me to press the buttons on the joycons.

I can occasionally get a long stretch of play without any of the above happening, but I can also get times where all of the above happen multiple times over the course of a few minutes and it's infuriating.

I mean I really enjoy my Switch, but portable play has been so unreliable for me. Easily the worst Nintendo hardware I've owned in that respect.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Despite being a Nintendo Fan at heart, its absolutely clear that there is a serious bias towards Nintendo if this hasn't become an issue on the level of the RRoD. Controllers and especially the Joycons can become expensive real fast, to replace them so frequently because their build quality is shit is a true disappointment, especially when it comes from the company who used to be as famous as Nokia for product durability.

My Joy-Cons screwing up doesn't kill my entire system, but it is a serious problem. I'm ignoring your irrelevant bias part of your comment btw.
(edited to include "part of your" since I suck at writing today... :/)

Last edited:

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
What does Nintendo do if you call them and tell them about this? I assume if it's under warranty they might send you replacements but those are obviously prone to having the same problems?

edit: okay just saw the below in the Kotaku article:

"And before someone says 'Contact Nintendo and have them repair it,'" they wrote, "I shouldn't have to spend $4 and two weeks without my Joy-Cons for them to just come back and break again in 4 months.".