• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
I fell for this with Horizon 3 and didn't read the fine print. I assumed the Ultimate edition included the season pass.

It does not.

Don't support this garbage.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is pretty low on the scale for offensive business practices in this industry, it harms no ones experience of the actual game unlike say the on-disk d1 Javik DLC. The people who can afford to/want to get it early can be happy, those that don't only wait a small amount of time before getting to play it.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
User Warned: Inflammatory false equivalencies
Nah the only one on this conversation without perspective is you mate. People can and indeed do care about several things at the same time. And also care about things at different levels. They can also understand that this can be considered yet another shitty practice in an industry built on shitty practices without feeling the need to riot, like your extremely childish post was painting.

If you want to ignore current business practices, big game publishers practices in particular, ignore the history of this industry when it comes to monetization of their customers and how it always escalates, without fail, then that's on you and on your stunted understanding of the industry.

Bringing about food whataboutisms is just about on the low end scale of cogent arguments you could imagine. And yet here we are.

Nah the I need it now portion of the gaming community is a kissing cousin of the Gamer Gaters and the Incel community.

IsThatHP

Oct 31, 2017
if this is what they need to do to subsidize releasing a title like forza horizon 4 day one on a service like game pass then so be it.

rather this than the cheap plastic statues of old.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
There's that word again, 'choice'.

Arbitrarily making people wait 3-7 days for their (exactly the same) digital version of the game to unlock is not an additional choice, my dude. It's a big fuck you to the people who 'only' paid 60$ for a game, while that used to be the regular price of any game on release day.

You're viewing it completely backwards. You're not getting something in addition for your 20 bucks. They could just unlock the game for everyone at the same date and time. The reason they don't is because suckers will still pay for this 'privilege'.
And if you wait a month, you can play the game often from the same place at 33% less, or sometimes even 50%. Game pricing has always been more expensive for those that want it earlier. It's a quasi price increase that has the added benefit of publishers marketing when the price goes down - it's not really that different from normal pricing structure.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
The shit EA has done with something like 11 days early access for BF5 is the worst I have ever seen. I don't like the practice at all but EA took it to the next level as usual. Have a shitty ant-consumer angle and EA will one up you.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
Haha, people buy into this? If it's an AAA game i'll just wait a couple months and get it for half price.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
I don't mind this trend. I bought the early edition of Gears 4. But I would have bought that version even if not early for the steelbook. Now if it starts being like 2 weeks early, I might be a little pissed.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've noticed this quite a bit often. Forza, Tomb Raider, WWE 2K (all the 2K games), all EA games, all Ubisoft games it seems, Just Cause -- I guess we can say all western Squeenix releases. Kinda sucks. At least none of 'em are games I'd buy day one.

Uzume

Oct 30, 2017
There are lots of people buying into so called "early access". I think it's here to stay.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
Not a fan of it TBH, I only bought the mid tier version of a Tomb Raider because it was cheaper than buying the standard version on steam. As for FH4 it's one the only series which is played on a regular basics since it has been released on PC so don't mind playing extra. I never generally buy a Ultimate edition of game as th DLC's usually are a waste of money.

Most average gamers will only buy a few games a year so that why these people are willing to drop more money on 3-4 games a year, as a forum most members play more than this.

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
Not of fan of these early access release dates. Seems like a slippery slope so I do not support it. Can't fathom why others would as well unless you have a stupid amount of money to burn and tons of free time.

Faithless

Oct 27, 2017
Can even be 6 months sooner, I don't give a SHIT publisher of my ass, I have literally YEARS of backlog.

Oct 27, 2017
Cmon guys.... We hate micro transactions and dlc that divides the community, so we make loot boxes, we hate loot boxes so we make customizing items to buy, we hate paying for extra content so we ask developers to make the game cost more.. so they make "gold editions" or "complete editions" that cost more and contain the dlc... I see nothing wrong with this trend if it includes the extra content I'm paying for.... I wish cod Black ops 4 did this so I could play blackout earlier than the 12th haha.

I'm just saying.. devs gotta make their money somewhere and as long as people keep complaining on how they do it or supporting it.. they will keep changing how it's done and keep coming up with new ways. If you don't have the self control to prevent this from affecting you... That's.. kinda on you.

I really don't see a problem with this.... Pubg was early access and broken as hell and millions spent 30 on it

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol what. You aren't paying for a benefit you wouldn't otherwise have. This isn't the policy of letting users paying a little bit more to get the game early. This is the policy of forcing users who only pay the base price to wait. The game is obviously ready for play, and for sale. No one is playing early. What they're doing is taking a feature that was once part of the base sale (like playing on launch day) and selling it back to you at a premium. Why on earth would any player be grateful for the option to pay more to play on launch day?

Technically, im paying for the Gold Edition which would be the same price before, on or after October 5th so to get the game three days earlier and start playing as opposed to waiting three more days is fine by me especially when I was already all in since E3. For those who don't like this or want to spend the extra money, you don't have to but to be able to play three days sooner than expected when I was already buying the Gold Edition anyway, it's even better for me. And technically, again, im not paying extra to play early because if I waited until October 5th and bought the Gold Edition, it would cost me the same exact price as what I have paid for the game. The three extra days is more like an extra perk/bonus for buying the Gold Edition which let's face it, if you're buying a Gold Edition for ACO (or any game for that matter), that means that as a gamer, you're already 100% all in with the game so why not take advantage of it and get to play three days sooner than I would have if I waited until October 5th to buy the Gold Edition?

Like, why wait to play the game when I can actually be playing the game itself?

To be perfectly honest, I have no problem paying extra money to play early if it's a game that im already 100% all in on. For example, SOTTR came out the 14th but buying the more expensive edition let you play on the 12th but I wasn't 100% all in with SOTTR so all I did was buy the base game and have minimal to no interest in the season pass but with ACO, im super hyped and was going to buy the Gold Edition regardless so if I can play three days earlier, why wouldn't I want that for a game that im super hyped about?

I get and understand what you're saying but as someone who was going to buy the Gold Edition since E3, if the three days early access didn't exist, I would STILL be paying the same exact amount but would be starting October 5th instead of October 2nd.

After ACO, my next game that im most likely going to be 100% all in with is Days Gone which releases February 22nd, 2019. Since im already 100% all in, if paying say $80 or even $100 instead of $60 to play three days earlier but im also getting all the perks/bonuses and the season pass, then I'll be doing the same thing again.

Now, if the game was say $80 for three days early access ONLY, then I wouldn't do it because im not getting the other content post game. The three days early access is just an extra perk/bonus that comes with the Gold Edition for ACO which again, since I was buying it anyway regardless, getting those three extra days is honestly, awesome for me because I can play sooner rather than later.

For the record, due to GCU, the $10 pre-order reward certificate and a 25% off promo code from Best Buy, ACO is only costing me $56 plus tax. That includes the base game, all the pre-order perks/bonuses, three days early access AND the season pass which in of itself is $40. For someone like me who's 100% all in with ACO, why WOULDN'T I do this???

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is fine. You pay if you want to play the game early but you can still play on release date. It's giving people options.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
I'm patient so this one doesn't bother me

I'm definitely judging the people that pay for it though

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And if you wait a month, you can play the game often from the same place at 33% less, or sometimes even 50%. Game pricing has always been more expensive for those that want it earlier. It's a quasi price increase that has the added benefit of publishers marketing when the price goes down - it's not really that different from normal pricing structure.
What do you mean it's always been more expensive for people who want it earlier? This practice of delaying games is new as far as I know.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
I got the Croft edition for shadow of the tomb raider
Their premium editions have been the same price
It also includes the Season pass and a bunch of exclusive outfits
Getting the game 2 days early is a nice bonus, but I would get it regardless
Early access should have been available for all preorders imo

But Square Enix fucked that up too
Since it unlocked at 9AM pacific

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
No one pay extra money to play early.

Sadly that's not true. Even on this forum, I've seen plenty of people saying that they've bought a month of EA/Origin Access to play a certain game earlier. There's a reason why more and more publishers are copying this annoying trend m8.

I also don't understand why people buy season passes without knowing what they'll get and if it's worth it. But that's another discussion. :)

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
This trend is so incredibly lame, and I'm not even someone who's particularly tempted by it.

I get why it works (it's honestly a pretty linear progression of pre-ordering for a digital world), and it's an interesting way to get launch-window bugs revealed fast through a group less likely to be overly pissed that they run into them. It's also seemed to lessen the stampede effect you'd sometimes see on major digital releases (meaning the store would slow to a crawl).

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Can we have another date, 3 days after the normal release, but less pricey ? Makes sense, no ?

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
This is only "good" is if you find a pre-release sale and the cost of these Super Special Editions is close enough to regular retail.

How often is that, though?

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
What do you mean it's always been more expensive for people who want it earlier? This practice of delaying games is new as far as I know.
£60 at release, £30 3 months later. Prices go down for games the longer you wait. This isn't any different, you just klnow exactly when the price will go down.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
I would probably never pay extra for it, but I don't think there's anything wrong with letting people with no self control waste their money to play a game early

why not wait a few weeks and get the game even cheaper used?

Capitalism can't collapse soon enough.

what does this even mean in relation to the topic? do you want capitalism to collapse so you can play videogames sooner?

Last edited:

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
$10-30 for 2 day earlier access? Lmao...I'd rather wait 6 months and play it for half price. Looking forward to getting God of War on PS4 soon.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Yeah I don't care. Money is for burning after all.

Besides, at least for every game I ever bought like this the early access was part of a deluxe or special edition which you tend to buy not for early access but the other goodies.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
People would always mention how they wanted to play their anticipated game x days earlier, but this is such a stupid way of doing it.

I'll admit it's smart for the companies as people obviously fall into the trap, but it's still fucking stupid in general.

Sushigod7

Oct 26, 2017
Taking cues from Hollywood with digital releases before physical on discs. Its dumb and a few days isn't worth an extra cost.

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
I mean I won't buy into this, but I don't mind waiting... if its a singleplayer game that's heavy on story is pretty bad to avoid spoilers... before EA Premier, we had access and can only play 10 hours before we;re locked out, that's perfectly fine, its not the full game, or there is a gate that you stop at to prevent further gameplay but now full access.. eish,

Good thing about this is that I can see more of the game and how it plays on pc first, if its a good port or not before preordering lol

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
But it's not going down, that's the standard retail price. It's marked up from that MSRP.
The standard retail price has been the same for years and has not kept pace with inflation. This is an increase in price while letting people not willing to pay that much there will be a lower price version coming at a certain time. The higher price often has other goods attached. You don't want to pay the higher price? Wait a few days or a week and get the lower price. Don't like that price? Wait a few months and get it half price. Don't think it's worth that price? Wait a year and it will be a small fraction of the original price. The games market is very flexible for people of different price points.

Mr Satan

Oct 25, 2017
I paid £2 to play FIFA 19 early, and encountered a glitch that allows me to play unlimitedly beyond the limits of the trial. Definitely worth it for me, don't care about other nerds.
Never buy games on release anyway so

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The standard retail price has been the same for years and has not kept pace with inflation. This is an increase in price while letting people not willing to pay that much there will be a lower price version coming at a certain time. The higher price often has other goods attached. You don't want to pay the higher price? Wait a few days or a week and get the lower price. Don't like that price? Wait a few months and get it half price. Don't think it's worth that price? Wait a year and it will be a small fraction of the original price. The games market is very flexible for people of different price points.
This has been how games have been handled for about a decade, so the only thing that's changed is the release date of the 'normal' editions being pushed back.

It has not always been more expensive for people to get it earlier because this practice just started. Unless "earlier" just means, when the game is supposed to come out for everyone.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
This has been how games have been handled for about a decade, so the only thing that's changed is the release date of the 'normal' editions being pushed back.

It has not always been more expensive for people to get it earlier because this practice just started. Unless "earlier" just means, when the game is supposed to come out for everyone.
It's always been more expensive for people to get it earlier - early adopters always pay more. You are hung up on what "normal" price is. The "normal" price was due a price increase years ago. This is a price increase. They just add a bit more to sweeten the deal and advertise a cheaper price at a later date so they can still get those on board who aren't willing to pay more than £60. And that game at the higher price is available for everyone, they can pay that price - though not for Origin Premier as it's only for digital PC people, but digital doesn't require manufacturing and shipping a physical product and PC doesn't require a certification process like for consoles, so that version would actually be ready earlier than the other versions.

Enilced2

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny this never really bothered me and I figured people had made peace with it after they first started doing it. I guess I'm part of the problem though cause I did pre order the ultimate edition of Forza Horizon 4 for all the extras and dlc, probably won't pick it up till the 2nd anyways.

QFT. They're just testing the water now.

I mean they started doing this a couple years ago the gap hasnt really changed.... How long do you figure they are testing the waters for