• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
On the plus side for a game that would have come out on a Friday it lets everyone know if it's a bit shit in advance if they didn't want to shell out to be a guinea pig.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever. If people want to pay more for a few days early access. Go right ahead. I assume a lot of them are streamers which will benefit from it. I'll happily wait.

Ghostwriter74

Oct 27, 2017
Sadly that's not true. Even on this forum, I've seen plenty of people saying that they've bought a month of EA/Origin Access to play a certain game earlier. There's a reason why more and more publishers are copying this annoying trend m8.

EA Access is not just Early Access. How many people have EA Access just to play the libary of ea games? I don't pay to play AC:O earlier, i pay to save 10 bucks. Of course there are gamer who pay more to get a game early. A Shop in my town get the games 3-7 days earlier, but take 5 bucks more. Anyway, not all pay to play earlier.

I also don't understand why people buy season passes without knowing what they'll get and if it's worth it. But that's another discussion. :)

True, but in the case of Assassin's Creed Odyssey i know exactly what i get. There was a Video about the Content, the 2 Chapters and the Remaster of Assassin's Creed 3.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's always been more expensive for people to get it earlier - early adopters always pay more. You are hung up on what "normal" price is. The "normal" price was due a price increase years ago. This is a price increase. They just add a bit more to sweeten the deal and advertise a cheaper price at a later date so they can still get those on board who aren't willing to pay more than £60. And that game at the higher price is available for everyone, they can pay that price - though not for Origin Premier as it's only for digital PC people, but digital doesn't require manufacturing and shipping a physical product and PC doesn't require a certification process like for consoles, so that version would actually be ready earlier than the other versions.

What examples do you have of it always being more expensive? All editions were available to purchase for everyone on Tuesday or Friday.

It's a price increase for normal release date and a delay for the normal price.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
If you're anything like me and have ten-mile-long backlogs, and don't get around to playing games until years after they release...

...if the fact that a few people choose to spend more to play early means that the price drops a few months after release for me, I'm perfectly okay with it.

I really don't see a problem. It's not like mobile, where F2P games are free for most people only because it's on the backs of addicted players that spend themselves into oblivion.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
In fact it should be 3 release dates

1 -Early access
2- Release
3- GOTY edition with all DLC and fixes to most of the bugs

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I have paid extra money for broken street date copies of games I really want. And it was worth it. I got to play Horizon two weeks before zelda, gave me all the time I needed to enjoy it, then suck all time into zelda. So if they are basically removing street dates then fine I am in, offer it weeks in advance to make it worth it. Why the hell do these games have to sit in stores for a week.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
This is basically what other kinds of industries do, in economics its called minimizing "Consumer Surplus" (if a customer would have spent $90 for a game, paying $60 loses you money on that sale).

Books have Hard cover and then soft cover (though much longer time period), movies move down the classic tier of options and prices over time etc.

I also hate it too in terms of games.

MisterBear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Developer asks for money.

Gamers
"How fucking dare you."

It seems to be a common trend.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has there been an instance where the ONLY draw for the higher price is early access? Seems like it's usually a complete edition with extra (or all planned) content. In which case, big deal.

I've always gotten the Ultimate Forza Horizon editions for the extra content (there's always plenty!), and the early release is just a bonus. I'm not liking how condescending the majority of posts in here are.

The NBA 2k stuff, did that change? Its always been 4 days early for pre-orders, not just the expensive edition. Did that change this year?

Yes it did. And because I don't care about the other incentives I didn't go for it. They reduced VC exploitation ever so slightly yet make up the difference in other ways like that.

For other games, if there's a season pass at a slight discount I'm likely interested anyway, so I would go for that. But when you are as greedy as Take Two, nah, that's too far for me.

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont like it because I would like to have the game same time as everyone else so people dont finish faster and spoil for me.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
What examples do you have of it always being more expensive? All editions were available to purchase for everyone on Tuesday or Friday.

It's a price increase for normal release date and a delay for the normal price.
You can pre-order earliar (and I did mention that advertising the cheaper price later was a new thing and designed to not lose the people who aren't willing to go over £60) but you want it easrlier you pay more, you want the cheaper, you wait. And stop saying "normal" price - a product price staying the same for 10 years with this inflation rate is not normal. The alternative to this is just the higher price and you don't know exactly when it goes down. That doesn't benefit the consumer or the publisher. It's basically a stealth price increase. Except they make it clear for those that don't have the money or don't want to pay more when it comes out at that price point.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Started with 1 day,now it's 3 days. I can see where this is going...
60$ - "normal" release, 70$ - 3 days early, 80$ - 7 days early, 90$ - 10/14 days early (depending on how far they will push this).

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Who cares? Seriously? Who cares about this?

Also... who cares what other people do with their money?

If somebody wants to pay for stuff like this than let them.

But it's funny that you almost always get stuff like the season pass and other dlc shenanigans with it but that never gets mentioned. It's alway just "UH PAY FOR EARLY ACCESS!"

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Started with 1 day,now it's 3 days. I can see where this is going...
60$ - "normal" release, 70$ - 3 days early, 80$ - 7 days early, 90$ - 10/14 days early (depending on how far they will push this).
That's literally just a price increase which these games are overdue - the only difference is they would be telling you when the game price will go down. The game price currently goes down after launch quite drastically, you can get some games 50% off after a month. This is just this effect advertised.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can pre-order earliar (and I did mention that advertising the cheaper price later was a new thing and designed to not lose the people who aren't willing to go over £60) but you want it easrlier you pay more, you want the cheaper, you wait. And stop saying "normal" price - a product price staying the same for 10 years with this inflation rate is not normal. The alternative to this is just the higher price and you don't know exactly when it goes down. That doesn't benefit the consumer or the publisher. It's basically a stealth price increase. Except they make it clear for those that don't have the money or don't want to pay more when it comes out at that price point.
So this isn't how it's always been then.

Why wouldn't I keep calling it the normal price? It's the standard price for the vast majority of video games. You have no idea if these delays are the only alternative to a price increase or just publishers capitalizing on the fervor over AAA releases. Or any other number of reasons.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
It's stupid. You're not paying to get it early, because the game is finished and release dates are arbitrary. Everyone else is just getting it late, and the publishers just rake in extra money for literally nothing.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Sounds like Kotaku listened to the Easy Allies podcast this past week. Michael Huber went over all of these in the beginning segment and it was blowing my mind how widespread it had become.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
So this isn't how it's always been then.

Why wouldn't I keep calling it the normal price? It's the standard price for the vast majority of video games. You have no idea if these delays are the only alternative to a price increase or just publishers capitalizing on the fervor over AAA releases. Or any other number of reasons.
Inflation isn't a hard thing to understand.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I really don't care about it that much, as long as it stays between 2 - 4 days.
I bought the Forza Horizon 4 Ultimate Edition, but I don't really care that much about the early access. It's nice, but I bought the ultimate for the expansions and the cars.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I really don't care about it that much, as long as it stays between 2 - 4 days.
I bought the Forza Horizon 4 Ultimate Edition, but I don't really care that much about the early access. It's nice, but I bought the ultimate for the expansions and the cars.

the problem is, they market the ultimate edition behind the early access and as the main selling point which it shouldn't be.

Look at this title on the xbox store 2 years ago for FH3

Get Your Hands on Forza Horizon 3 Today with Ultimate Edition Early Access
Read more at https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2016/09...ate-edition-early-access/#cuTqBYqKRE2VUD7G.99

Why can't they just make it early access for all those who pre-order?

Look at the sales for NBA 2k18 and it tells you why, the $99 edition of 2k19 was sold MORE than the standard edition digitally on xbox and I can tell you it wasn't because of the miniscule 100k VC when people buy loads of that shit anyways. It was because of the early access and the ability to play on the friday before. This NEVER happened before because it was always just a pre-order was needed for early access and nothing more. Funny how tacking that in, in the highest paid edition works. Pretty sure the same thing happened with state of decay as well. While there are a good amount of fans who buy the super editions for the content, season pass and what not. That is not what is being used to bait and market them.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Please enforce this arbitrary release date.

Unless they give us extra money, then they get an earlier arbitrary release date.

I hate this trend, and no game that does it will get my money. Sorry Hitman

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Neither is the history of video game releases.
The history of video game releases usually has had a price increase by now which hasn't happened - largely cus they are trying to get the costs back in other ways. "Early Access" Special Editions/Services are one of them. You can't complain that it's not following the history of video game releases and isn't "normal", when the normal thing would be that the games are £90 according to some estimates.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
In the case of games where I was going to buy whatever expensive edition regardless, it doesn't bother me. In the case of games that are trying to incentivize me to buy an expensive edition solely for a moved up release date? Fuck that noise, keep it chief. I can wait.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
This is absurd. Can't believe consumers allow this to even exist.

A surprisingly high number of folks in various Forza Horizon 4 threads have quite openly — and happily — said that they have preordered the 'ultimate edition', and I find this both laughable and frustrating to see.

A fool and their money and all that.

I am glad that Sony and Nintendo do not feel the need to go down this greedy path...

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
The only deluxe/expensive editions I've bought this generation were Dying Light and Spider-Man and that was for content not release date. I told my father this year he didn't have to buy Forza if he got Gamepass. But he said he wanted all the extras and to play sooner so he actually bought the ultimate version which surprised me. So this stuff is really working.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
This is just publishers punishing those pre-ordering their game at all if they don't go for the more or most expensive versions of the game. Rather than reward anybody that buys your game before launch, you tell them they could play it sooner if they spend $20, $40, or even $60 more for the game.

MLB The Show 18 bucked this trend by letting anybody that pre-ordered it play it the Friday before launch.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The history of video game releases usually has had a price increase by now which hasn't happened - largely cus they are trying to get the costs back in other ways. "Early Access" Special Editions/Services are one of them. You can't complain that it's not following the history of video game releases and isn't "normal", when the normal thing would be that the games are £90 according to some estimates.
Video games held their prices hovering around 50 bucks fluctuating under and over for 20 -15 years. $60 hasn't been that long.
Love this trend, needz my gamezzz day -3/4

/s
Publishers saw all those DAY 0 posts and took it a bit further.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
the problem is, they market the ultimate edition behind the early access and as the main selling point which it shouldn't be.

Look at this title on the xbox store 2 years ago for FH3

Why can't they just make it early access for all those who pre-order?

Look at the sales for NBA 2k18 and it tells you why, the $99 edition of 2k19 was sold MORE than the standard edition digitally on xbox and I can tell you it wasn't because of the miniscule 100k VC when people buy loads of that shit anyways. It was because of the early access and the ability to play on the friday before. This NEVER happened before because it was always just a pre-order was needed for early access and nothing more. Funny how tacking that in, in the highest paid edition works. Pretty sure the same thing happened with state of decay as well. While there are a good amount of fans who buy the super editions for the content, season pass and what not. That is not what is being used to bait and market them.
I don't agree at all that publishers are using early access as the main selling point. That article proves nothing. Yes, it is a selling point which they are advertising. No, people aren't buying a $100 edition of a game just to play it 4 days early.
The NBA 2K thing looks like it comes with a bunch of shit. The "minuscule" 100k of VC looks to be like $25 worth. What proof do you have that people are buying it just to play it early and not for the bunch of other stuff it comes with?
As a bonus, here's a chart from FH4 that is equally as tenuous as the article you linked to which shows the early access being dead last in the list of selling point.
5c3dff12-e54d-4420-930c-c7abe93e97d4.jpg
[\QUOTE]

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the "early" release date wasn't the main draw, I wonder why publishers don't just release the standard edition on the same day as these meaty special editions then? I mean if just the goodies are worth it it should be fine right?

Enilced2

Oct 25, 2017
A surprisingly high number of folks in various Forza Horizon 4 threads have quite openly — and happily — said that they have preordered the 'ultimate edition', and I find this both laughable and frustrating to see.

A fool and their money and all that.

I am glad that Sony and Nintendo do not feel the need to go down this greedy path...
Yes I'm sure the only reason they are happy about pre ordering the ultimate edition is because of that 4 day early access. That's all anyone gets it for not the all the extra content just that early access

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Video games held their prices hovering around 50 bucks fluctuating under and over for 20 -15 years. $60 hasn't been that long.
Around 50 bucks was for 5th and 6th gens, so approx. 1995-2005, 10 years. (4th gen and earlier cost a lot more, especially SNES games, due to cart prices. N64 games still costed over $50 some times again due to cart prices.)
I'm pretty sure 360 launch games were $60. That was 13 years ago.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
If the "early" release date wasn't the main draw, I wonder why publishers don't just release the standard edition on the same day as these meaty special editions then? I mean if just the goodies are worth it it should be fine right?

eaxctly, if the ultimate editions offer that much value and won't hurt sales............how much would it hurt to release it for everyone who pre-ordered.

WAIT, we all know exactly why

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of like that a lot of editions are releasing on friday. I always hated tuesday releases, gimme that long weekend.

Nov 5, 2017
I mean I can just wait few days to buy the game cheaper, hell I don't buy many games at launch, so if people want to buy early access, that's on them.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
It is mind boggling that so many people in this thread are defending this practice.

People do realize that if publishers see this as effective, they are going to push it further like they have done with everything else, right?

What is your apologist limit? Getting the game a week early for $100? A month?

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
This isn't a new thing though. The $80-100 premium editions has been a thing since last gen the only difference is now they add "get it a few days early" on it now and frankly i am fine with that. If someone is willing to go out and spend that much money on it why not get it early? People like to say they would pay $100 to get X or Y game early all the time on this thread and on twitter. Especially when the new AAA game threads get made a week before release and people show off the game they got early from a shop.

Personally, i have been buying the Forza games, Madden, Fifa, most Ubi games etc. $80-100 editions since they started, long before the "get it x days early edition" started because i want all the DLC etc associated with it. If it means i can now get them a few days earlier i see it as an extra perk. Excersize patience if you want the $60 edition. I almost always buy the deluxe/premium so it's just extra icing on the cake.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown

eaxctly, if the ultimate editions offer that much value and won't hurt sales............how much would it hurt to release it for everyone who pre-ordered.

WAIT, we all know exactly why
It is a draw, not the main draw.
Pubs saw success with the ultimate edition concept. They thought "how can we get more people to buy the expensive version", and then they came up with this.
No one is buying these things just to get the game 4 days early. People are buying them because either A) they would have bought it without the early access anyways or B) the early access crosses their tipping point for buying the ultimate edition over the standard edtion, along with the other stuff. It's artificially adding value (not $40 worth, by any means) to your product.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see the problem. Gives extra incentive to preorder the games you like. You're free to wait until launch day, or for price drops, or for the eventual goty Editon.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
With Shadow of Tomb Raider it was tempting because everyone in the OT was playing, but there are so many other games to play.

The industry just has a way of being shitty when it comes to exploiting people's weaknesses. Like have some fucking dignity.

Pubs saw success with the ultimate edition concept. They thought "how can we get more people to buy the expensive version", and then they came up with this.
No one is buying these things just to get the game 4 days early. People are buying them because either A) they would have bought it without the early access anyways or B) the early access crosses their tipping point for buying the ultimate edition over the standard edtion, along with the other stuff. It's artificially adding value (not $40 worth, by any means) to your product.

Oh it's most definitely a draw, especially on a forum like this where everyone feeds on each other's excitement. I have absolutely zero interest in the deluxe edition of games like SoTR and I was really tempted to get it just to play it early. I can definitely see people not having the self control.

Last edited:

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree, I absolutely think it's the main draw, we see evidence in hype threads frequently, I know casual gamers who just get COD and NBA2K every year who absolutely fall into this trap, partly because the marketing completely ignores the standard release anyway.