• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddahz

Oct 25, 2017
kotaku.com

Metroid Dread Is Already Running On Switch Emulators

Only days after release, the latest entry in Nintendo's classic franchise is running in 4K using an emulator

Via the popular Yuzu open-source emulator, you can now play Dread with custom controls and unlimited FPS settings. Some players have reported minor issues with cutscenes and black screens, but according to the Yuzu devs, this is fixed by updating to the latest version of the free emulator.

Another popular Switch emulator, Ryujinx, is able to run the game at similarly high framerates, but can also play it at a much higher 4K resolution. Compared to the native 720/900p resolution available on the Switch in handheld or TV mode, this is a massive increase. And, the art style and visuals really shine in 4K.

s/o to the spotlight on emulators. emulators kick ass (also nowhere in this article does it state to go the pirate the game, so please don't bring that in here lol)

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
s/o to the spotlight on emulators. emulators kick ass (also nowhere in this article does it state to go the pirate the game, so please don't bring that in here lol)
fuck that, they're bringing that in here by highlighting how well a game that came out 2 days ago runs on an emulator. barely anyone rips their own copies. pimp all the emulation for old machines, that stuff is dope when the systems are dead. do it for something that is literally brand new and you're going signaling "this would be much better if you grabbed a rom of this!"

that article/headline is gross.

emulation is amazing.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I started playing it on my new Switch and quickly moved to RyujinX. I lost about an hour of play but it was worth it considering the length of the game. It's just too much of an improvement. Still plan to play my longer games on the switch tho.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Love that it's running great, but not feeling this getting a highlight cause the game just dropped and not everyone is going to emulate the "legitimate" way.

Oct 26, 2017
fuck that, they're bringing that in here by highlighting how well a game that came out 2 days ago runs on an emulator. barely anyone rips their own copies. pimp all the emulation for old machines, that stuff is dope when the systems are dead. do it for something that is literally brand new and you're going signaling "this would be much better if you grabbed a rom of this!"

that article/headline is gross.

emulation is amazing.

100%

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I skipped around that video and found it maddening how the person doesn't appear to realize there's 360-degree aiming -- they keep jumping and shooting one shot at a time to hit elevated objects, lol

But yeah, game looks great, both normally and here.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Love that it's running great, but not feeling this getting a highlight cause the game just dropped and not everyone is going to emulate the "legitimate" way.
Let's not do this.

I'm going to get this on my Switch soon, and when I'm done I'll be emulating on my PC for sure. Knowing it is already playing well is great news.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to make a joke about pirating the article and posting all of it here but there are so many goddamn ads between every paragraph on mobile that it's annoying to take the time to do it lmao.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I've pirated games in the past. I've modded consoles in the past. I've got mini consoles full to the brim with external USBs and more or less a full catalogue.

But absolutely, and I can't state this strongly enough, FUCK this article. Anyone even suggesting in the slightest that this isn't advocating piracy is flat out wrong. As TheMoon says, it's a grey area with older consoles. This is 2 days old.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
played it at 120 fps, it was great (usually lots of switch games are just capped and if you go over, the game speed up, but not for metroid dread)

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I've pirated games in the past. I've modded consoles in the past. I've got mini consoles full to the brim with external USBs and more or less a full catalogue.

But absolutely, and I can't state this strongly enough, FUCK this article. Anyone even suggesting in the slightest that this isn't advocating piracy is flat out wrong. As TheMoon says, it's a grey area with older consoles. This is 2 days old.
Sorry, but no.

This is great news for those interested in emulation. Many of us will be doing this legitimately asap.

Shepherd

Oct 25, 2017

Agreed.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry, but no.

This is great news for those interested in ambulation. Many of us will be doing this legitimately asap.
You are very much in the minority if you're buying it and playing a legitimately ripped copy on a PC.

Emulation is great, but when it starts making it so brand new titles are out there on different platforms? Nah.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Oh god, it's been many years since I messed with emulators, but I really need to get into Switch emulation. The low resolution and framerates make Switch such a drag to play in docked mode.

I'm guessing I would need a modded Switch to create backups of my games? Or is there another way?

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, its a bit sketch to talk about so front and center about this given how it literally just launched the other day. I'm surprised a publication would do so like this.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
Can my rig run it good enough in 1080p?

1050 4gb
i5 7th and 8gb ram

I run cemu flawlessly

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
The article literally ends by saying THANK GOD FOR PIRATES.

(Not in relation to Dread SPECIFICALLY, but holy shit.)

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I think it's finally time to rip my Switch games to my PC, I don't use it as a handheld anyway. I played Metroid for a couple of hours on Friday but I'm good with starting over.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
This is great news for those interested in emulation. Many of us will be doing this legitimately asap.
I'm the first to always shit on emulation=piracy people here.

That said he issue with the article is:

It is a Switch exclusive, as you might expect. But all you need is a Switch emulator and a decently powerful PC, and you can play Dread on your computer, right now. And it looks great.

and

If you want to play the rest of the Metroid franchise and don't want to shell out large amounts of money on old consoles and games, your best bet is also emulation. As is often the case, Nintendo (like most game publishers) is really bad about maintaining access to their past games outside of the few big sellers. Thank God for pirates, emulators, modders, and hackers.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I emulate a ton, I dump all my own games (finally got hold of a hucard dumper a few weeks ago!), I advocate for emulation, but I'm giving this article the biggest side-eye.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Feels like Kotaku is, if nothing else, advertising the emulation of Metroid Dread, which is a game that came out three days ago.

I'm all for emulation as a tool for preservation of history, but this feels like they're advocating for piracy of a brand new game.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You are very much in the minority if you're buying it and playing a legitimately ripped copy on a PC.

Emulation is great, but when it starts making it so brand new titles are out there on different platforms? Nah.
Brand new titles on different platforms is absolutely fine especially on Switch. If I pay for the game being able to emulate it on PC at high settings asap is a good thing.

Saying that...

I'm the first to always shit on emulation=piracy people here.

That said he issue with the article is:

and
Alright, I take that back about this article and should absolutely have read it first. The quoted sections are really not ethically presented.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada

Absolutely agreed. This feels wrong to promote for a game that came out literally 2 days ago.

So many are just gonna pirate/emulate the game and not bother to support the actual game....great. :/

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
They literally say "thank God to pirates"

That's in reference to an article about games preservation , not this particular news.

Still, there's always a race between emulation and game hardware - when the hardware sticks around long enough you end up with this problem of games being available day and date on emulation channels.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
So many are just gonna pirate/emulate the game and not bother to support the actual game....great. :/
Yea, my thoughts exactly especially after waiting almost 19 years for this story arc to finish. Gonna just hope it's enough of a success we don't have to wait that long again.

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
I played Metroid Dread at 120fps/3600p, it was glorious.

The last game I played on my Switch was Bravely Default 2 which looked and ran like garbage. If you have the rig for it, this is the way forward; It's just too much of an improvement.

If you own a Switch and the games, there's no issue as far as I'm concerned.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Brand new titles on different platforms is absolutely fine especially on Switch. If I pay for the game being able to emulate it on PC at high settings asap is a good thing.

Saying that...

Alright, I take that back about this article and should absolutely have read it first. The quoted sections are really not ethically presented.
Exactly, if you don't have a Switch, you can't emulate a Switch game without pirating it because you can't dump your ROM.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
for games that are no longer legally obtainable and/or the money doesn't go to the developer and/or publisher, yeah - thank god for pirates
The point is the article says all that's needed is a PC and an emulator, nothing about a game to dump or the hardware (a pre-Mariko hacked Switch) which are a legal necessity in this case.

Also the following Metroid games are in circulation or on digital marketplaces:
  • Metroid (1987)
  • Metroid II: Return of Samus (1991)
  • Super Metroid (1994)
  • Metroid Fusion (2002)
  • Metroid: Zero Mission (2004)
  • Metroid Prime: Hunters (2006)
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy (2009)
  • Metroid: Other M (2010)
  • Metroid Prime: Federation Force (2016)
  • Metroid: Samus Returns (2017)
  • Metroid Dread (2021)

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, if you don't have a Switch, you can't emulate a Switch game without pirating it because you can't dump your ROM.
Yep it should always be made clear that you should buy the game first, yeh some people will pirate bit articles like this should definitely be doing a Ng their best to present things in an ethical way.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
This is one of those few cases where both sides are right. It is 100% undeniable that the majority of people using emulators for new games are pirating those games. The article in question knows this and is pretty blatant. You can't untie the two in most people's minds.

But just because something can involve piracy doesn't mean that those who want to talk about it legitimately shouldn't be able to. Nintendo puts out great games on terrible hardware that doesn't meet today's standards. Then they completely drop the ball on respecting their OWN legacy and treat their classic library like garbage.

If I want to play Majora's Mask 3D in 4K with the bad changes Nintendo did taken out and it's mechanics restored to how it was on the N64 but with all the QoL and graphical enhancements of the remake. I'm not getting that on Nintendo hardware. And, yeah, if I just bought Metroid Dread, why would I play it on a Switch when I can rip it and play it on better hardware with better quality of life features?

Status
Not open for further replies.