• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Article from Jason Schreier

Developing big Xbox exclusives is no longer a priority for Microsoft, and in fact, the company decided in 2016 that it would release future games on both Xbox and PC. Soon enough, Game Pass will also be available on computers, and it wouldn't be shocking to see Microsoft embrace Steam—or overhaul the Windows store—as it tries to reach the hundreds of millions of people who play video games on comp

Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart told me during an interview a couple of years ago that Microsoft had a team of directors and producers assigned to Stormlands, including one executive producer who worked with the studio during the early pitching and greenlighting process.

"About three months into the whole pitch process [he] said, 'I think what we want to do is really hit it out of the park with this. What do you guys think about dropping multiplayer and just really focusing on it being a great roleplaying game?'"

Stormlands was, in many ways, the epitome of the old Microsoft way of doing things. Microsoft insisted on a long list of supplemental features including Kinect, cloud computing, and SmartGlass support, and the project became so bloated, neither company could salvage it. Today, under new leadership and structure, the Xbox department is very different, and it's easy to envision a world where Spencer and co allow Obsidian and Inxile to thrive.

https://kotaku.com/microsoft-s-new-studio-acquisitions-show-how-much-xbox-1830383030

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Really looking forward to seeing what they put out now. Wish the wait wasn't going to be so long.

Scubamonk

Oct 30, 2017
I really hope they can get their shit together. I've generally always liked the MS ecosystem on the console side. Also, their controllers are the most comfortable to me.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Really curious for the future of Microsoft Studios. I was curious when Phil assigned Matt Booty as the new head of MS Studios, but so far they've made some really good additions to the first party infrastructure.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Now Microsoft Studios Publishing needs to step-up their game.
They have some unnannounced stuff if you know where to look...just don't know when they will be released. At this time we know that they are focused on Age of Empires releases and getting Crackdown 3 and Ori out the door.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Microsoft bout to create some damn good shit with these two companies.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
both Obsidian and Inxile have financial security for years to come (or at least until the next time Xbox changes bosses).

That's a pretty important thing to note because that company as a whole reorganizes so many times there's no telling when things will change again for them.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More insiders giving the nod to Spencer's Xbox. Reassuring to read, getting Booty to take over was a good move, these people clearly understand games.

I'm salivating over an Obsidian Sci-fi space opera, 3rd person RPG with AAA budget and time. I have no doubt it'll be the spiritual successor to OT MassEffect.

BioWare and MS created magic with ME1, I'm sure it will happen again.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Good article Jason. I am cautiously optimistic. Everything I have seen tells me that Microsoft has the management and priorities in place now to truly let companies like Obsidian and InXile be left alone and do their own thing.

Should be fun. And yeah I agree I wouldn't be surprised to see Microsoft embrace other digital storefronts on PC more. The people making the decisions now, no longer see Windows as a priority. (they don't even have someone representing Windows on their executive board, but they do have someone representing their gaming ambitions.)

They will do whatever it takes to have their gaming plans succeed. Direct X on Linux anyone? Wouldn't shock me.

When you realize that Azure is Microsoft's primary platform, anything can happen client side.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
My exact thought.

I was hoping for a bit more in depth commentary beyond the obvious points.

But props to Microsoft regardless.

I feel like they've had their shit together for years on everything but first party.

That seems to be changing.
It came to a poor conclusion too. Microsoft wants to compete with Sony in the console space but also expand their reach via PC and streaming.

Getting a blockbuster deal for a huge developer might like Bungie or Insomniac might make more waves, but they are not buying (Stephen A. Smith voice) scrubs.

Playground, Ninja Theory can make visually appealing games, and The Initiative will be that too. Obsidian wants to make AAA RPG's, Ninja Theory wants to take more risks, and Playground is as AAA as you get.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. can't wait to see all the amazing games these studios will be working on in the future. Great job MS.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a pretty important thing to note because that company as a whole reorganizes so many times there's no telling when things will change again for them.

Phil has been at Microsoft for like 30 years and clearly loves his job.

Nadella has been vocal on the importance of gaming to Microsoft's long term vision and promoted Phil to Executive VP of Gaming, thereby giving him a seat at the table so he reports directly to Nadella.

But you knew this already.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Their "shit" has been together for literally years now.

Not if exclusive content is your main driver to buying a system (which is why the Switch is about to tank the Xbox One despite the huge time gap in release). MS has finally made some moves there but those will not be Xbox One deciding factors.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS needs to jump into the Star Wars license the moment Disney/EA contract expires. As much as I want new IPs and all that, you can't let that opportunity pass when you have Obsidian under your umbrella.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

Same could be said for Sony but for the most part their studios seem to stay relatively stable.

Should also be noted Satya Nadella is fully supportive of Xbox and he's only the 3rd CEO in Microsoft's history.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I kinda miss those middleware games that MS released on PC in the 90's

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It came to a poor conclusion too. Microsoft wants to compete with Sony in the console space but also expand their reach via PC and streaming.

Getting a blockbuster deal for a huge developer might like Bungie or Insomniac might make more waves, but they are not buying (Stephen A. Smith voice) scrubs.

Playground, Ninja Theory can make visually appealing games, and The Initiative will be that too. Obsidian wants to make AAA RPG's, Ninja Theory wants to take more risks, and Playground is as AAA as you get.

Yeah, I strongly disagree with Schreier that Microsoft have given up on competing with Sony.

If anything, threw down the fucking gauntlet at E3 when Phil said he wanted to create an industry leading first party stable.

It's been clear for a long time how envious Phil has been of the success and pedigree of Sony and Nintendo - and now he has the resources and backing of the CEO to pursue his ambition.

The impression I get from Microsoft is that they are doubling down now more than ever because they not only need to compete with Sony and Nintendo in the hardware space, they are fighting a war on multiple fronts against similarly huge corporations with ambitions in gaming and cloud services.

Microsoft added 7 studios in 6 months and they aren't done with acquiring talent.

That does not look like giving up to me.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Jumping into conclusions now makes no sense, let's see what games they will produce under Microsoft.

Xbox's biggest issue this gen was the lack of confidence and lack of vision with their first party output with lots of meh games, sometimes delayed or even cancelled.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
I hope they try and push some more Japanese exclusives as well. That was the coolest time for Xbox was when they had a lot of Sega support.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Yeah, I strongly disagree with Schreier that Microsoft have given up on competing with Sony.

If anything, threw down the fucking gauntlet at E3 when Phil said he wanted to create an industry leading first party stable.

It's been clear for a long time how envious Phil has been of the success and pedigree of Sony and Nintendo - and now he has the resources and backing of the CEO to pursue his ambition.

The impression I get from Microsoft is that they are doubling down now more than ever because they not only need to compete with Sony and Nintendo in the hardware space, they are fighting a war on multiple fronts against similarly huge corporations with ambitions in gaming and cloud services.

Microsoft added 7 studios in 6 months and they aren't done with acquiring talent.

That does not look like giving up to me.
I'd agree they've given up on competing this gen. There's just no way to catch up. But they will keep trying to gain ground so they can be in a good place to compete next gen.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
That reads more like a not so stealth brag article for the Obisidian acquisition scoop.

Not developing big Xbox exclusives doesn't sound good to me.
He means that the games will also come to PC, instead of making the really big guns exclusive to xbox.

Though he says as if Ms have given up competition on the console space, when the way I see it, they succeeding on their strategy makes them stronger on every platform.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Going to hope for the best for Microsoft's future. Really want them to have a better standing than they currently are since I know there are some really good titles, but the ball got dropped a bit during the start of this generation.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am just happy it seems MS might finally have some new AAA IP. If this gen showed then anything it's that's Gears and Halo maybe don't have the luster they once did.

Canning Black Tusks IP and turning them into the Gears of War factory still makes me sad.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That reads more like a not so stealth brag article for the Obisidian acquisition scoop.

He means that the games will also come to PC, instead of making the really big guns exclusive to xbox.

Though he says as if Ms have given up competition on the console space, when the way I see it, they succeeding on their strategy makes them stronger on every platform.

Ah I see, thanks.