• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
No one will be banning your purchases. Can you imagine the class action law suit that would follow? Stop the fear mongering.

It has happened before, even if unlikely. The other issue of having the service outright shut down has happened multiple times, and is actually about to happen again if it hasn't already (Wii)

Publishers are trying to carve a future out where you will have no choice but to rebuy your favorites if you want to play them again, and some people are begging for that, insanity.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
It has happened before, even if unlikely. The other issue of having the service outright shut down has happened multiple times, and is actually about to happen again if it hasn't already (Wii)

Publishers are trying to carve a future out where you will have no choice but to rebuy your favorites if you want to play them again, and some people are begging for that, insanity.
You are debating two separate things.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
If you think the battle is still about how many boxes you can sell, you haven't been paying attention at all.

You too when you think some services will change that much.

And how do you come to the conclusion that PS Now didn't find it's niche ?
From what I saw on a graphic a few days ago, PS Now is much more succesful than MS services.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
MS needs to jump into the Star Wars license the moment Disney/EA contract expires. As much as I want new IPs and all that, you can't let that opportunity pass when you have Obsidian under your umbrella.
If Avellone isn't coming back i dont see the point.
His writing is what made it memorable.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I really cannot wait to see what comes of this. Right now, Microsoft is set up to be a power house when it comes to WRPGs. Those games have always thrived on PC and the OG Xbox so it is a perfect match.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I can't imagine that the Star Wars ip owner would be interested in limiting their royalties to the manufacturer with the smallest userbase.

Pretty sure Xbox + PC isn't "the smallest user base". Microsoft is pushing their games to both platforms, that audience is huge.

Disney is stupid enough to limit the license to just EA (video games wise), so there's no telling what they would do.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Sonys approach to services is trying to sell you more subscriptions to non-gaming type stuff. Vue, Spotify, Crunchroll, Video unlimted, Netflix etc. Great for a casual audience, but not hardcore facing. PSnow is a half hearted initative that has had la whole generation to find its niche and still hasnt.

Microsoft is pushing Gamepass, EA access, Mixer, Discord :- Specfic services related to hardcore gaming. They have bought Havok to ensure they have fingers in the middleware pie.

Like I said, I dont consider Sony "doomed" by any stretch of the imagination. But they seem ok with ceding more of the Hardcore ground to Microsoft. Thats fine at the end of this generation, but unless Sony have some massive surprises instore, the start of Next gen Microsoft is gonna be off to a running start and Sony will have a hard time building the same momentum they did this gen.
well according to superdata it brings in the most revenue from subscription services, so not sure what you mean by it hasnt found it's niche. people are clearly using it.

as for services for gamers, PS+ & PS Now exist for that. Lack of EA Access hasnt really shown any impact at all, and Discord is a universal service.

im just not understanding where youre getting that theyre "ceding the hardcore ground". what does that even mean? they will have a hard time building momentum for what reason? you seem to just be saying that without giving reason as to why that would be.

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

From what I saw on a graphic a few days ago, PS Now is much more succesful than MS services.

You saw an estimate that Playstation plus subs are higher globally than Xbox live. That does not invalidate anything ive said.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
If Avellone isn't coming back i dont see the point.
His writing is what made it memorable.
Man, look at the body of work that Obsidian has put out. Do people honestly believe that their writing and game direction die by one man?

If it did, many developers would not be special despite the constant turnover.

IXI FalcoN

Oct 27, 2017
The Mattrick regime ran the Microsoft Game Studios operation into the ground, and the ball won't be fully rolling with them until the next gen as a result. This was, in many ways, a lost generation for the Xbox platform.

This is how I've always felt.

The Mattrick era (2010-2013) was definitely the dark ages for the Xbox and as a result Phil & CO have been playing catch up this whole gen. They've made smart moves to rebuild the brand like jettisoning the Kinect, closing the power gap with the X, and backwards compatibility. Ultimately at some point I think MS realized that it was best to cede this cycle to Sony and shore up for next gen, hence all these acquisitions and the continued emphasis on Game Pass. I have a feeling they're gonna come out strong next gen with a diverse range of quality first party content, with Game Pass as the main delivery system because it can tap into Xbox consoles, Windows, and whatever streaming options they have cooked up.

Deleted member 41104

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Mar 15, 2018
People who want an all digital future are simply fools and don't know it.

I'm such a fool for :
  • not buying Blu Ray discs anymore and subbing to Netflix / renting from Apple TV
  • not buying CDs anymore and subbing to Spotify / Sirius XM
  • not buying Forza Horizon 4 / Sea of Thieves / future MS games and subbing to Game Pass
Yeah, some of us don't mind being fools.

I don't think an all digital future means the death of physical entertainment btw. There's still some shops here and there that sell movies and music in physical form. It's just not what it used to be and I'm sure that's what also is coming for gaming.

Last edited:

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
You are debating two separate things.

I'm debating why people shouldn't be jerking off digital as some savior concept when all it will result in is higher pricing and loss of rights to the consumer, the very thing MS tried to choke slam us with before the Xbox One launched. The path of games as a service is not a good one as long as we the consumer have no rights. Gamepass is a cool supplement service but in order for it to be THE way the cost would have to drastically increase. Also, just like how people talked about how Netflix would save us all tons of money, we now see that many new sub services are forming, charging, and locking exclusive content behind THEIR streaming service, to the point that getting all the content you want will eventually cost us more than it did just having cable. Imagine a world where Gamepass was THE future, Nintendopass, Sonypass, EApass, Activisionpass, but now with the cost of launching their day 1 software on it rather than being old games they shove on it down the line.

It's a confusing subject, when people say something is going to become the standard, they have to realize that standard will come with competition. I don't want to have 30 companies fighting for me to pay a monthly sub to access their content.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Disney is stupid enough to limit the license to just EA (video games wise), so there's no telling what they would do.
just to point out, disney "limited" the license to EA because theyre either the biggest if not second biggest 3rd party publisher with a multitude of studios under their umbrella of which im sure disney thought multiple games would be released within the 10 year window and not just two battlefront games in the first half of the deal

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
well according to superdata it brings in the most revenue from subscription services, so not sure what you mean by it hasnt found it's niche. people are clearly using it.

as for services for gamers, PS+ & PS Now exist for that. Lack of EA Access hasnt really shown any impact at all, and Discord is a universal service.

im just not understanding where youre getting that theyre "ceding the hardcore ground". what does that even mean? they will have a hard time building momentum for what reason? you seem to just be saying that without giving reason as to why that would be.

Well, MS has said we will always have the most powerful box. They have been buying studios, while sony has been shrinking wws. They have mouse and keyboard support + an in-house pro-controller. They have backwards compatibility. I mean, they have done a lot of stuff to get the hardcore on board and the start of next gen, if both release concurrently, is going to be much better for MS.

They aren't ignoring the softcore either, as they will have a cheap streaming box as well. They look well positioned.

Sony, best case scenario, is saving a bunch of great stuff for reveal. But if they are going to coast on what they are doing right now (mostly critic approved single player arpgs), idk...

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

It's amazing some dismiss or see Sony conceding anything...when PS Plus IGC was a thing last gen, before Games with Gold, EAAccess and Game Pass.

And they have been on the streaming games front since this gen started. And now PSNow allows downloads, when many claim how are they gonna match GP.....

Just like they flipped the switch and allowed downloads, they could just as easily make it available to more devices again.

Last edited:

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
You saw an estimate that Playstation plus subs are higher globally than Xbox live. That does not invalidate anything ive said.

Sounds really like PS Now didn't find it's niche.....lol

The group determined that most of that revenue (52%) was accounted for by Sony's PlayStation Now service, which it said brought in $143 million for the quarter. EA's collection of PC and console services--EA Access, Origin Access, and Origin Access Premier--combined to bring in about $90 million, with a little over half of that coming from EA Access and the Origin offerings splitting the remainder. Interestingly, the new Premier tier of Origin Access brought in slightly more than the basic Origin Access tier, even though it was only launched partway through the quarter. Microsoft's Xbox Game Pass brought up the rear among the major offerings with roughly $41 million in revenue, a little less than EA Access but more than either of the Origin programs.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...brought-in-usd143-million-last-quarter-report

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I'm debating why people shouldn't be jerking off digital as some savior concept when all it will result in is higher pricing and loss of rights to the consumer, the very thing MS tried to choke slam us with before the Xbox One launched. The path of games as a service is not a good one as long as we the consumer have no rights. Gamepass is a cool supplement service but in order for it to be THE way the cost would have to drastically increase. Also, just like how people talked about how Netflix would save us all tons of money, we now see that many new sub services are forming, charging, and locking exclusive content behind THEIR streaming service, to the point that getting all the content you want will eventually cost us more than it did just having cable. Imagine a world where Gamepass was THE future, Nintendopass, Sonypass, EApass, Activisionpass, but now with the cost of launching their day 1 software on it rather than being old games they shove on it down the line.

It's a confusing subject, when people say something is going to become the standard, they have to realize that standard will come with competition. I don't want to have 30 companies fighting for me to pay a monthly sub to access their content.
1. Get this, if streaming was not the future, you would not have HBO, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Spotify, Sirius XM, Itunes are the various other marketplaces that we have today.

2. If it was not an important part of gaming going forward, you would not have steam, GOG, Xbox Live or PSN. You would not have seen Sony investing on OnLive all those years ago, or Microsoft investing as much on Game Pass. Technology is moving forward and it is being embraced.
What Microsoft was looking to target last generation was used game sales, and getting a share of that. That was always the wrong approach, but it is also something that all publishers have been wary off, it was not that long ago that EA was selling games with an online key.

3. Subscription is one way of consuming content, it is not the only way. Game Pass is the future for how Microsoft wants to distribute content, not the only way. They have already mastered the art of having people subscribe and those who like a game for their collection will buy it. It is seriously not hard a concept to understand.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017

1. Thats superdata lol
2. Its been around for several more years on a console thats sold more than double the consoles

Sole focus shouldnt be on revenue.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
1. Thats superdata lol
2. Its been around for several more years on a console thats sold more than double the consoles

Sole focus shouldnt be on revenue.

And you believe Superdata is soo extreme far away from the reality ?
Maybe they wrong with 5 or 10% but not much more.

And it shows that PS Now is far away from "founding no niche".

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Good article Jason!

Remember that Xbox was initially started not to capture the gaming market but rather to crush and beat Sony so that they wouldn't lead in the living room. Xbox was initially trying to be a better PlayStation. All that initial investment was because Bill Gates bought the fear pitch that Sony was a threat to Windows and wanted to crush them.

Hence the years of animosity between fan-bases because the flag was initially planted to be a dual to the death.

Then Bill Gates left, the threat of Sony being the nemesis to Windows left, the real competition to Windows was OS on phones and microsoft was left holding this Xbox division which no longer appeared to be a value to Windows. Investors wanted it gone. Myerson thought it was Microsoft's play thing and not a serious business.

Since Nadella took over in 2014, he's fought against the grain at Microsoft. Has worked to change their culture. Now that he's more than doubled Microsoft's value expanding industries, investors bought in.

Microsoft doesn't need to crush Sony. They don't need to go head to head. The gaming market has much room to grow and it's good Microsoft is putting their resources where they can expand it.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
And you believe Superdata is soo extreme far away from the reality ?
Maybe they wrong with 5 or 10% but not much more.

And it shows that PS Now is far away from "founding no niche".
This is what really disappoints me even with NPD numbers. When all you are looking at revenue with little context, you could really argue anything.

PS Now has been out for longer and it also encapsulates last generation consoles. It could explain why they have only started adding Playstation 4 titles last month. It is also a service that charges $20 per month or $45 for three months compared to Game Pass that sells for $10 and has promotions that allow one to get it for less than that more often than not.

To most businesses and investors, what would matter is how many accounts comparable to consoles sold as a percentage. And in the case of EA and Microsoft because they offer current games, it would be how many of those subscriptions translate into sales, because this is something they can quantify.

If you have a windows account, Microsoft can also track how well you are spending on the store or how you use their other apps like Bing. Why else would they have a reward system in place? People focus on so little when there is so much that these companies are privy to.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Good article Jason!

Remember that Xbox was initially started not to capture the gaming market but rather to crush and beat Sony so that they wouldn't lead in the living room. Xbox was initially trying to be a better PlayStation. All that initial investment was because Bill Gates bought the fear pitch that Sony was a threat to Windows and wanted to crush them.

Hence the years of animosity between fan-bases because the flag was initially planted to be a dual to the death.

Then Bill Gates left, the threat of Sony being the nemesis to Windows left, the real competition to Windows was OS on phones and microsoft was left holding this Xbox division which no longer appeared to be a value to Windows. Investors wanted it gone. Myerson thought it was Microsoft's play thing and not a serious business.

Since Nadella took over in 2014, he's fought against the grain at Microsoft. Has worked to change their culture. Now that he's more than doubled Microsoft's value expanding industries, investors bought in.

Microsoft doesn't need to crush Sony. They don't need to go head to head. The gaming market has much room to grow and it's good Microsoft is putting their resources where they can expand it.
Microsoft is not investing to not go head to head. They have shown that they intend to compete on every front be it games, hardware and services. The only thing that is different is that they are targeting more devices, and are not only going to invest in a top end console but also a streaming box. How well the latter does is something that we will have to see.

Sony may not be competing on as many fronts, but that does not mean that Microsoft is not competing with them on consoles and not aggressively. This is a mindset that needs to change.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they also keep getting more talents on board. It's crazy how much MS is putting into Xbox lately. This all reminds me of early X360 era. Glad the new management is giving Xbox all the support they need.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Something people don't realise is how important gaming is becoming to things like Azure aswell. Gaming is no longer it's own thing, it's slowly becoming intertwined with other MS divisions (Hardware/surface team doing xbox hardware now, Azure tech being used in Crackdown and every other MP game for servers, etc). It's not like years ago where Xbox was basically it's own thing, was given a budget and was told to get on with it and deal with it themselves (I know this is simplifying it but you get what I mean)
That as well. Xbox is integrated now into other Ms offerings.

It brings customers to their cloud services, development tools and frameworks, help push another cloud service from Ms (not unlike office helped push onedrive for instance).

That kind of growth does not happen just because the guy in charge thinks it's worth (as we saw with Balmer, if you go against the investors and other directors you are out), it happens when the guy in charge convinces the rest of the company that this strategy is worth pursuing.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
More insiders giving the nod to Spencer's Xbox. Reassuring to read, getting Booty to take over was a good move, these people clearly understand games.

I'm salivating over an Obsidian Sci-fi space opera, 3rd person RPG with AAA budget and time. I have no doubt it'll be the spiritual successor to OT MassEffect.

BioWare and MS created magic with ME1, I'm sure it will happen again.
that may not be ms intent here. if you read jasson's peice, it seems ms wants a bunch of mid teir games to push games pass. games pass makes more sense if the games ms are making are 20 to 30 million, not 300 million.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
The most recent purchases are impressive because if what MS says is true, they're so niche that it's the end of the old mantra that a franchise has to be a million seller to be continued by MS. I remember Shane Kim saying that back in the day on one of their official channels and it basically went downhill from there in terms of the quantity of exclusives. Crimson Skies, Mech Assault and many more all were lost due to that.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC

Dat post history

More successful? You're looking at a super data graph (lol) comparing revenue from 4 years (PS Now) to a little over one year (Game Pass) without also factoring in that PS Now is twice the price and on an install base of more than double the users. You're in for a rude awakening if that is your line of thinking.

Some of ya'll are trying your hardest as per usual in Microsoft threads. Can't believe someone said Sony can imitate XGP in a few weeks if they wanted to, lmao. What is going on in here...

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think MS is still gunning for Sony but they aren't going to do it the traditional way. They are looking to cause massive market disruption where they end up the leader if it shakes out in their favor.

In 2020 they could very well have the most powerful console and for the cost of a monthly Game Pass sub all the first party launch titles and hundreds of BC games. That's an insane value and a game changer if they pull it off.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
literally no.

Their first party output in the last few years has been abysmal. How can you say such a thing so authoritatively with all the obvious evidence suggesting the opposite?

The Mattrick regime ran the Microsoft Game Studios operation into the ground, and the ball won't be fully rolling with them until the next gen as a result. This was, in many ways, a lost generation for the Xbox platform.
Na. Phil's been righting the ship now for, quite literally years. Great X support, incredible BC initiatives, very pro cross platform; the whole nine is covered man. I didn't say they've bested anyone else, but they got their shit together, again, years ago. I can say such a thing so authoritatively because such a thing is a fact; Phil's been doing an incredible job with Xbox since 2014, that's four years brethren, so yes, their shit has been together for years, but that doesn't make a messy launch that was owed to Mattrick's idiotic ass suddenly disappear. It's incredibly difficult to heal from such a messy launch, but the Xbox of going on five years now is not that Xbox, and it's exhausting to see people like you conflating current, and even recent past Xbox with the Xbox of 2012/2013 when they are, in many regards, completely different companies. Also, Xbox has had incredible profits this generation, regardless of how they've compared to Switch or PS4, and Satya Nadella is very happy with Xbox's growth and revenue, so your claim that this is a "lost generation" is simply absolute nonsense that seems to be motivated purely by console wars bs. XBox is making Microsoft plenty of money, it's very profitable, it's seeing great growth, and the new initiatives have all been massive hits, so I think it's time you review what a "lost generation" is.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Even the studios themselves demonstrate how much they've changed, by virtue of being two kinda similar single player RPG studios. No longer are they avoiding the single player side, there's also enough room to have two developers specialising in the same things. It does give me a little hope for Perfect Dark, which never seemed possible earlier, because they already had successful games in the genre like Gears and Halo (even though they're completely different).

It's good news. Playground Fable and Obsidian + Inxile will ensure a steady stream of RPGs for the ecosystem making it essential to someone like me.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft has always been good enough at buying studios. They also have a great track record when it comes to running them into the ground or just flat out ruining them. If they were creating new studios from the ground up and actually putting out high quality content (I'm talking Sony and Nintendo first party level) then I'd call that a change, but this feels like more of the same. Hopefully some good games come out of it but I am in wait and see mode as I have been with MS since 2010.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft has always been good enough at buying studios. They also have a great track record when it comes to running them into the ground or just flat out ruining them. If they were creating new studios from the ground up and actually putting out high quality content (I'm talking Sony and Nintendo first party level) then I'd call that a change, but this feels like more of the same.

Only time can prove that they really understand what it means to run a portfolio business. If Obsidian's games suddenly become bitesized and episodic to target Game Pass or if Inxile starts making live service multi player games, you'd have a point, but for now I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they actually mean it, when they say, they'll do everything they can to keep the companies autonomous.

Last edited:

Deleted member 47942

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2018
It will also be interesting to see if they try and scoop up Bungie now that the Destiny deal is approaching its end.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Microsoft has always been good enough at buying studios. They also have a great track record when it comes to running them into the ground or just flat out ruining them. If they were creating new studios from the ground up and actually putting out high quality content (I'm talking Sony and Nintendo first party level) then I'd call that a change, but this feels like more of the same. Hopefully some good games come out of it but I am in wait and see mode as I have been with MS since 2010.
343i?
The Coalition?
Turn 10?

They built these from the ground up.

Bungie left Microsoft as one of the best developers in the world and Playground Games was acquired having partnered with Turn 10 in all their games.......they are the best at their craft.

Every publisher has bad stories, every publisher closes down studios. It is part of the job description.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Yup. I had such disdain for MSoft at the start of this gen due to their awful hardware (I really dislike the original Xbone and S, as machines) and plans. But, the One X is fantastic and washed the sour taste of my PS4 Pro (Jet Engine edition) out of my mouth, plus Game Pass is the best service I can think of. I hope these acquisitions work out.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
343i?
The Coalition?
Turn 10?

They built these from the ground up.

Bungie left Microsoft as one of the best developers in the world and Playground Games was acquired having partnered with Turn 10 in all their games.......they are the best at their craft.

Every publisher has bad stories, every publisher closes down studios. It is part of the job description.
This. Folks can be blindly negative for as long as they want, but it doesn't change the facts. Microsoft's helped build up some of the best devs in the industry, and I'm hoping to see Obsidian and Ninja Theory become the AAA developers with the notoriety accorded to them that they've always deserved.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I think MS is still gunning for Sony but they aren't going to do it the traditional way. They are looking to cause massive market disruption where they end up the leader if it shakes out in their favor.

In 2020 they could very well have the most powerful console and for the cost of a monthly Game Pass sub all the first party launch titles and hundreds of BC games. That's an insane value and a game changer if they pull it off.

The issue is the software. As it is now it's still an amazing value. But the thing is they need highly acclaimed titles to bring people in or at least attract them to the platform where they can sign them up for game pass sub.

As it is now, their brand and the titles behind it have kind of waned specifically brand defining titles. You hope gears 5, and the next halo are the shit to bring people back. The thing I can see is gamepass in a way helping make those brands more relevant. Especially if the PC side shakes out with some kind of cross play.

It's honestly in the air right now with how this shakes out. Sony has the strongest brand currently in gaming, followed by a reinvigorated Nintendo. XBox needs to come out swinging with super highly rated titles, to have people get back on board with the brand. Game pass just adds to the brand. But not without strong software, which we have to wait and see how it all shakes out with these new studios acquisitions.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Looking forward to seeing the fruits of the new acquisitions although I fear we are probably still a few years away from seeing MS first party really running at full steam.

In the meantime they need to continue working on their other strengths, such as Game Pass, backwards compatibility, powerful hardware, etc.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The issue is the software. As it is now it's still an amazing value. But the thing is they need highly acclaimed titles to bring people in or at least attract them to the platform where they can sign them up for game pass sub.

As it is now, their brand and the titles behind it have kind of waned specifically brand defining titles. You hope gears 5, and the next halo are the shit to bring people back. The thing I can see is gamepass in a way helping make those brands more relevant. Especially if the PC side shakes out with some kind of cross play.

It's honestly in the air right now with how this shakes out. Sony has the strongest brand currently in gaming, followed by a reinvigorated Nintendo. XBox needs to come out swinging with super highly rated titles, to have people get back on board with the brand. Game pass just adds to the brand. But not without strong software, which we have to wait and see how it all shakes out with these new studios acquisitions.

Yeah the software is definitely key. I think MS is primed for some success next gen but their software has to deliver. Sony worked for years to get their studios to where they are at now so it's going to be an uphill battle for MS, no doubt. I'm sure there will be some clunkers in the mix.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, MS has said we will always have the most powerful box. They have been buying studios, while sony has been shrinking wws. They have mouse and keyboard support + an in-house pro-controller. They have backwards compatibility. I mean, they have done a lot of stuff to get the hardcore on board and the start of next gen, if both release concurrently, is going to be much better for MS.

They aren't ignoring the softcore either, as they will have a cheap streaming box as well. They look well positioned.

Sony, best case scenario, is saving a bunch of great stuff for reveal. But if they are going to coast on what they are doing right now (mostly critic approved single player arpgs), idk...

Always have the most powerful box until Sony releases their box and back and forth. Also Sony hasn't been shrinking, but actually expanding studios and creating new teams. Like I don't know if you've paid attention to this generation, but it's the exact opposite of what you are trying to imply. Why do you think MS is going so hard in the paint now? Because even they see that Sony is setting themselves up to continue this domination into next gen and MS wants to be better prepared to compete.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Whoooboy!

C'mon man. People who are consciously making a choice to have this future cant be judged as fools. You simply can't make that call.

People who purposely want to lose their rights and pay more for mild convenience are definitely foolish in my mind, unless they basically don't care they are paying a high price for a long term rental, as long as they are aware I guess? It's so funny to see the outcome of all this over time, like when people try to resell their entire consoles with games on it and being shocked that the DL games are nearly valueless due to being locked to your account. People who want to resell, collect, price hunt, or truly own their property bypass all this just for because they don't want to have to stand up to change a game on occasion. Want to loan out your game? Tough, resell it? Sucks, play it when the servers shut down? Pray to the gods your system never bricks once that happens I guess?

Digital is great in theory, if the companies passed those savings onto the consumer, if we the consumer had the right to loan our digital copies, or to be assured we can not be banned and lose the content, or that the service can never be revoked or the games delisted, etc, then I would have little quarrel with it. I do believe some countries have better laws in place but as a US resident, I take issue with this until the balance is restored. Right now it is my understanding that if Sony were to take down the PS4 service and disallow redownload of my copy of Spyro that i'd be shit out of luck, and this push to force digital has even impacted physical releases so that you STILL get screwed when you buy it at retail, and this is something we're supposed to be excited for because I don't have to get up to change games.