• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017

Microsoft is finalizing a deal to acquire the independent development studio Obsidian Entertainment, according to three people briefed on the negotiations. We don't know if ink is on paper yet, and plenty of major acquisition deals have fallen apart in the final hours, but those close to the companies believe it is all but done.

One person with knowledge of the deal told Kotaku they'd heard it was "90%" finished. Said a second person: "It's a matter of when, not if."

Oct 26, 2017
WTF

https://kotaku.com/sources-microsoft-is-close-to-buying-obsidian-1829614135

Microsoft is finalizing a deal to acquire the independent development studio Obsidian Entertainment, according to three people briefed on the negotiations. We don't know if ink is on paper yet, and plenty of major acquisition deals have fallen apart in the final hours, but those close to the companies believe it is all but done.

One person with knowledge of the deal told Kotaku they'd heard it was "90%" finished. Said a second person: "It's a matter of when, not if."

Obsidian, best known for its work on critically acclaimed role-playing games like Knights of the Old Republic II (2004) and Fallout: New Vegas (2010), has been independent since it was founded in 2003. The Irvine, California-based studio has long been beloved by RPG fans, but has often faced financial strains, nearly going out of business in 2012 before it signed a deal for an online tank game and launched a Kickstarter for the isometric throwback that would become Pillars of Eternity.

One compelling argument for the sale is that being owned by a company with deep pockets will offer Obsidian stability and resources the likes of which it has never had before.

So, uhh... Thoughts?

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
This has been rumored for around 3 months of so, but it sounds like it's happening.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Would love to see what Obsidian can do with a bigger budget and more time. Hopefully they deliver.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
https://kotaku.com/sources-microsoft-is-close-to-buying-obsidian-1829614135

One person with knowledge of the deal told Kotakuthey'd heard it was "90%" finished. Said a second person: "It's a matter of when, not if."

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
This would be great for Obsidian to finally have some financial stability.

Plus all games would be on Xbox/PC so its not like they would be locked up somewhere.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh great, I'm happy this'll keep Obsidian in business but pissed I'll have to buy another Xbox if I want to play their games now:/

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
That's a bummer, not looking forward to buying games on the Windows store

Good for Obsidian if it secures their future and gives their games a bigger budget I suppose though

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Well, given the stories I've heard, congratulations to Obsidian for finally finding some Stability again post-Armored Warfare if true.

...Just hope that such a buyout doesn't negatively impact their kind of game-design though.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Erqa5R9.jpg

(Stolen from Chris Kohler.)

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Not happy about this but I'm sure obsidian will feel more secure being owned by Microsoft.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweet jeebus.

Give them some big budgets please, MS! Don't make them another Rare, plz.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I'll be damned. Huge get for MS.

EDIT: If nothing else, this means financial stability for Obsidian and hopefully the necessary resources to put towards big new projects.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Was it Obsidian who was working on some real ambitious game for the Xbox to be published by MS that ended up not being made under the Mattrick regime?

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
I am a Sony fan but I hope this is true so next gen I have more reasons to also own an Xbox. Don't want Sony to get too comfortable.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Wild. As long as they still release on PC I'll be happy. Getting the MS resources could help them a ton, though I'm not sure we'll get to see anything like PoE or Tyranny again. Probably looking to have them go back to more console oriented titles like did with FONV and such.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obsidian hasn't been noteworthy in 8 years since new vegas (and to a lesser extent alpha protocol) released. Most of the notable talent has left the company and who knows if others will leave after this happens. MS is basically buying a name.

It's still sad as a longtime fan of the studio but their best days were well behind them.

Status
Not open for further replies.