• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Klobrille said that if this rumor came true, it would validate other things he's seen. What are those other thing Klobrille?

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Microsoft will never be my first choice. I don't like the games they make enough to be completely sealed off from getting a new Uncharted, Spider-Man 2 or niche Japanese games.

If I somehow make enough money to afford both, I could get a new XBOX, but they will always be third priority for me.
thats why you get a pc and you can play almost all japanese games

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Are you going to continue to be cryptic or are you going to show me these sales numbers you've been talking about?

With Deadfire, the absolute silence of Obsidian on the matter should be proof enough. They haven't talked about sales, the best you can do is rely on SteamSpy numbers which places it around 100-200k units sold.
https://steamspy.com/app/560130

This coming off of the lackluster sales of another critically-acclaimed CPRG Tyranny, a game they at least admitted did not sell as they had hoped.
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/ob...ty-2-still-forthcoming-in-light-of-new-report

On the other hand, Divinity 2 did well for Larian. But, not exaclty major numbers. They announced they had sold one million units world-wide in late November (two-months after release). And, followed that up with an announcement later that Divinity had generated a total of $85M "in revenue" last year.
https://wccftech.com/divinity-original-sin-2-one-million-copies/
https://wccftech.com/divinity-original-sin-2-85m-revenue-2017/

So yes, not exactly a major selling genre.

Oct 25, 2017
If Microsoft wants to make an easy japanese studio purchase, Mistwalker is in big financial troubles right now with the failure of Terra Battle 2.

What would actually be the value in buying Mistwalker? The only IP they own is Terra Battle as far as I'm aware, and they're not actually a development studio. They only have 15 employees, and I doubt Sakaguchi would stick around long after selling.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I think one of my favorite things about industry developments like this (more generally) is how it forces people to rewrite their headcanon about how companies operate, or who supposedly hates who. Because news like this is almost universally good for independent studios, but you see the real struggle to accept it as that. At the very least, you see a spirited attempt to rationalize how the grapes are actually very sour.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
thats why you get a pc and you can play almost all japanese games

You want to shell out $700 or $800 to build me a new PC? I don't have money for consoles, I definitely don't have enough money to build a good PC.

I do all my computing on a MacBook now because Dead Rising 3 killed my PC.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
So 175 people studio. From a eurogamer article a short while back.

DpFvxCWUwAA3TaA.jpg

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
Well, at least we got three RTWP games from them. It was nice while it lasted, but sadly these kind of games just aren't very profitable anymore. I'm expecting inXile to be the next to have problems after Wasteland 3 is released and Brian Fargo leaves the industry. At least we still have Larian Studios (I hope).

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What would actually be the value in buying Mistwalker? The only IP they own is Terra Battle as far as I'm aware, and they're not actually a development studio. They only have 15 employees, and I doubt Sakaguchi would stick around long after selling.

It's Sakaguchi's studio, if Microsoft was to buy it they'd make sure he would actually stay in.
I'd imagine they would beef up the studios with hirings before tackling a mid-size JRPG project.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
I think Mistwalker will be among the next of Microsoft's acquisitions. AAA Project led by Sakaguchi would be the fucking tits especially with the creative freedom MS seem to be giving their studios.

It would make sense. It fits the "build studios around industry veterans" that was one of Microsoft's goals for expanding first party studios. Sakaguchi and Itagaki would be two veterans that Microsoft should look into.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Fuck. That's so depressing.

Fucking christ. This really makes me sad.

Not really happy about less independent studio's around. I wish Microsoft would develop the talent internally instead of buying it.

Sony did it with Naughty Dog and Guerrilla games.

Sad news for Obsidian.

Hopefully most of the talent left can find a new place to move onto before too long.

Just some highlights from the wall of shame.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its not. That would mean, Forza Horizon 4 is an RPG, Tomb Raider is an RPG, Assassins Creed is an RPG, Banjo and Kazooie (lol) is an RPG. The Term RPG is becoming a buzzword used to garner interest and check a box.

None of those games, apart for the recent RPG Assassins Creed titles is anything like Horizon.

If Horizon is not an RPG, neither if The Witcher 3.

If your definition of RPG doesn't include one of the biggest and best RPGs of recent times, then maybe your definition is wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.